Home
I am a cheapo kinda guy.....what is the best/least expensive route to get into this hobby of AR rifle shooting. I will just be playing or putting it in my truck to shoot at running cyotes

I have been looking at the kits and then buying a lower from an ffl
welcome - to - the - dark - side....

<evil laugh>.... laugh
Hey Tedhorn I just picked up a new DPMS "ORACLE" model for 597.99 with hardcase and 2 30 rd mags. Oracles have a flattop (picatinny rail) 16" barrel with forward assist and brass deflector hump. The gas block also has a picatinny.They are equipped with the collapsable stock. I put a red dot sight on it and a Lazerlyte on the gas block to start with. The trigger sucks but the gun shoots ok and any coyote inside 2oo is in trouble. $633.09 that cheap enuf? Magnum Man
AR's are awesome. I just bought a Stag complete A2 lower half and then a Stag 1H complete upper half with the Plus Package. I basically made their model 1 carbine out of them.

If you buy the upper and lower half's separately, NOT assembled OR both at the same time and/or on the same invoice, you get out of paying the 11% federal excise tax. I have $844 total invested in mine including parts, shipping and sales tax. I thought about building one. I asked my FFL for prices and it seemed better for me to just go ahead and buy them separately.

My last AR, which was my first, was a Rock River Arms A2 Tasc Rifle 16" middy. It was a nice rifle as well. I can really only speak of these two as they're pretty much all I've had experience with. My friend built his own with DPMS parts. I shot it and it shot good. He didn't keep it to long so we don't know much about it now.

Good luck, NYH1. wink

+1 for the DPMS Oracle. FUN!!! I put a 2.5X Weaver on top of a .83" riser. Works great.
welcome to the addiction !

TELL ME ABOUT IT!
AR stands for "Awesome Rifle" !

You can't have just one...Although
you can have one in every caliber...
Colt
the cheapest way is

plumcrazy complete lower sold at a local shop for

127.00 out the door
another local shop has delton 16 barreled complete uppers for 329.00 plus tax

thats a complete ar15 for 473.00. i bought one of these and shot it for 6 months with no problems at all.i then decided to build a 6.8 and sold it at a local gunshow for 700.00

i shoot lots of ar15's and i can see no differents in performance in the cheap models or higher end models.if you just want a ar to plink and home protection the cheap models will serve you well. if you want a long range rifle then you may have to spend 800-1000.00. my elcheapo ar weighed in at 5 3/8lbs and shot 2in groups at 100yds. plenty accurate for home defense and fun at the range.
I think Smith and Wesson makes some inexpensive models, just go to walmart and buy one.
About two months or so ago, my brother purchased a S&w MP-15
for $549.00 plus tax OTD at a local funshow...I got him some
aftermarket tacticool parts and it turned-out just awesome.

The quality of the rifle/carbine was amazing for the pricepoint
of $549.00, It had a 16.5" 5R 1:7 twist black SS barrel standard !

Checked-out the operation of the bolt,trigger,safety and dry
cycled the weapon and everything was very smooth...

While I'm not a fan of the Carbine length AR, I was very
Impressed with the price to quality ratio...
You can buy stripped lowers around my area for $80, then go to DEL-TON.com & buy yourself a rifle kit for $470. Thats it!!!!
http://www.del-ton.com/ar_15_kits_s/1.htm
I want one too. I've discovered that I really like doing tactical rifle courses. Have used a Sig 522, but I wanna move up. So many choices out there!! I'm planning on going to a gunshow soon so I can look at and hold a bunch and see what feels right for me. Let us know what you get.
I petted a lot of rifles today at a show and will be getting a flat top for sure and the oracal is a good looking gun at about 700
Build one your self. There are tutorials on your tube as to step by step directions on how to construct one.
Here it is and I didn't go el-cheapo

Next week I'm mounting an Aimpoint Micro for co-witness

[Linked Image]

[img][IMG]http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u52/doetail68/953ba4b5.mp4[/img][/img]
Nice, tells us about it!
Originally Posted by jimmyp
Nice, tells us about it!

You want a list of the parts build?
DPMS Lower
DPMS 16� 1x9 CM Barrel
Mabuis rear flip up
HG Quad Rails
Magpull everything else

next week this red dot set up

[Linked Image]
Very nice AR, yeah everyone needs an AR.

Me too.
Very nice!
Nice job!
© 24hourcampfire