Home
Posted By: remy120777 Wolf Ammunition - 04/23/12
Is Wolf .223 good ammunition to shoot? I have never had any experience with it.
Posted By: tedthorn Re: Wolf Ammunition - 04/23/12
I'm sure it's fine....but I'm a handloader and refuse to shoot anything that doesn't give me brass to reload
Posted By: wareagle700 Re: Wolf Ammunition - 04/23/12
It goes bang and its cheap. Thats the only good I have gotten out of it though. Not accurate or consistent and no brass to take home.
Posted By: cmr287 Re: Wolf Ammunition - 04/23/12
Is Wolf .223 good ammunition to shoot? I have never had any experience with it.

Remy, If you like cleaning your weapon then go for it. This is very ditry ammo and not very accurate.
Posted By: dmsbandit Re: Wolf Ammunition - 04/23/12
IMO, any steel cased .223 ammois meant for one thing and one weapon. It's meant for blasting ammo to be shot out of a saiga or some other AK variant.
Posted By: remy120777 Re: Wolf Ammunition - 04/23/12
Thanks everyone, you have answered my question. Appreciate the help
Posted By: Oldquailhunter Re: Wolf Ammunition - 04/24/12
I have shot thousands upon thousands of rounds of wolf. I even ran 1100-1200 rounds through a bushmaster without cleaning it to see what would happen. Nothing happened. No jams or failures of any kind. I would rather shoot XM193 all the time but I can't afford it and I can't load it as cheap as I can buy wolf.

Dink
Posted By: tedthorn Re: Wolf Ammunition - 04/24/12
Cant load cheaper than Wolf.....BS
Posted By: Esox357 Re: Wolf Ammunition - 04/24/12
Wolf ammunition unless specified is a steel case. It is known to be hard on extractors which can chip or break the extractor. Not a big deal but be able to replace your extractor if you need to. I prefer brass case ammo in AR's over steel cased ammo. Steel case ammo I shoot is SKS, AK's ect. Weapons made for it!
Originally Posted by tedthorn
Cant load cheaper than Wolf.....BS

Run the numbers. I bought a 1000 rounds of wolf for $216 last month.

Let's say 25 grains of powder per case. So you can load 280 rounds per pound powder not counting for waste. Let's say four pounds of powder per 1000 rounds to make it easy.

Winchester 55 grain FMJ $10 per 100

Primers $30 thousand.

Let's add that up

4 pounds of powder @ $30 a pound=$120
1000 55 grain FMJ @ $10 per 100=$100
1000 primers @$30=$30
1000 once fired casings=$60-$80

Now one might cut cost some by buying in bulk and the hanloaded ammo should be better ammo. We have not even considered the time it takes to load a thousand rounds.

Dink
Posted By: Firedude Re: Wolf Ammunition - 04/24/12
I was out shooting prairie dogs with a friend. He was shooting Wolf ammo out of his Bushmaster Varmiter, until the rear of the casing broke off, leaving the rest of case stuck in his chamber. He ended up having to take a cleaning rod and a hammer and pounded the rest of the casing out. I won't use Wolf in any of my guns since then.
Posted By: Certifiable Re: Wolf Ammunition - 04/24/12
Myself and friends have shot a ton of wolf thru AK's and SKS..

never had a single problem with it. I dont think its as dirty as some people say and it isnt the most accurate, thats true. But when im shootin AK im usually not goin for groups!

For the price, I think its great ammo

55 FMJBT ..........$92K
CCI primers ........$23K
WC844 powder....$90 per8

2333 rounds per jug........039
Bullet...............................092
Primer..............................023
15.5 cents per round $154 per thousand.....

I'll shoot mine you guys buy that overseas crap
Posted By: Hubert Re: Wolf Ammunition - 04/24/12
I don't have time to load 1000 rounds.
Posted By: Mulerider Re: Wolf Ammunition - 04/24/12
Put a magnet on the Wolf ammo bullet; not only a steel case, but likely a steel bullet with a copper wash plating.
Some folks don't care, it's all about the price. But I don't believe a single US manufacturer has decided steel bullets are the way to go.
55 FMJBT ..........$92K
CCI primers ........$23K
WC844 powder....$90 per8

Where are you buying primers for $23k? Here they are between $31 and $36 a 1k.

Where are you getting powder for $11 a pound? I always use Varget and its running $28-$30 a pound.

You also forgot to price in brass.
Dink
Posted By: 68injunhed Re: Wolf Ammunition - 04/24/12
Originally Posted by Mulerider
Put a magnet on the Wolf ammo bullet; not only a steel case, but likely a steel bullet with a copper wash plating.
Some folks don't care, it's all about the price. But I don't believe a single US manufacturer has decided steel bullets are the way to go.

Bullets are lead core, with a bi-metal jacket, which is partially steel with an outer plated jacket.
Another reason I will pass on the Wolf or Tul or anything other than LC FA or mine
Posted By: dmsbandit Re: Wolf Ammunition - 04/24/12
Originally Posted by DINK
55 FMJBT ..........$92K
CCI primers ........$23K
WC844 powder....$90 per8

Where are you getting powder for $11 a pound? I always use Varget and its running $28-$30 a pound.

Dink

Grafs has Small rifle primers for about $110/ 5000. Even with the HAZMAT fees, that is well under $30/1000

I've never bought .223 or 7.62x39 brass. I pick it up at the range.

If you don't like $28-30/ pound of powder, use a different powder. Dispite what alot of people think, Varget isn't the be all and end all of rifle powders. I just bought WIN 748 last night for my .223 and 308. $23.95/pound and it hasn't gone up in 2 yrs.
WC 844 is the best route
Posted By: rost495 Re: Wolf Ammunition - 04/24/12
Originally Posted by DINK
55 FMJBT ..........$92K
CCI primers ........$23K
WC844 powder....$90 per8

Dink

When you price in brass, you have to factor the cost divided by the use. YOu can easily get 10 to 25 firings from brass out of the AR. That cuts the cost of the brass a LOT.
And you buy surplus powders in bulk, I even got lucky enough once to buy it in 200 pound kegs... was some 2-3 dollars a pound that time...

Then you go get a deal on bulk primers and bullets and the cost comes down. You may suffer to have to buy in a deal IE wait a bit to get in on a group type purchase, but at that point, you buy a lot. I know the wife and I used to end up dropping 5K plus on components once or twice a year really quick. And then at times you find extra special deals where you think about taking a loan out to buy... I passed one up a few years ago, Sierra bullets at cost and I mean way lower than I could buy as a dealer... I know a guy that put in an order for almost 50,000.00.....

I'm not saying thats the only way, but if you snoop around enough you can find deals.

Worst case go to a gunshow, find the guys that sell powder and primers and ask... what would it take to get a better deal? Often its buying 25K primers instead of 5K...
Posted By: Mulerider Re: Wolf Ammunition - 04/24/12
Originally Posted by 68injunhed
Originally Posted by Mulerider

Bullets are lead core, with a bi-metal jacket, which is partially steel with an outer plated jacket.

Correct, I neglected to mention the lead core. The "bi-metal" label Wolf uses is mysterious in definition; methinks a soft steel jacket with a copper plating is their "bi-metal".
Posted By: Field_Hand Re: Wolf Ammunition - 04/24/12
I have a couple cases for the all out last zombie attack. If i use up all my brass rounds i figure i can use the wolf ammo.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Wolf Ammunition - 04/24/12
until it breaks the extractor... grins.
Posted By: Field_Hand Re: Wolf Ammunition - 04/25/12
Originally Posted by rost495
until it breaks the extractor... grins.
yep. i guess i'd have to slap the bayonet on it and finish off the rest of the zombies. grin
Posted By: tedthorn Re: Wolf Ammunition - 04/25/12
Just FLRS a 500 pc batch of LC brass.....man I do love it!

$77 bucks for that batch after it's done with as many as 10 more loadings on that brass!
Posted By: JustOneGunner Re: Wolf Ammunition - 04/25/12
Never had a problem with it in my Del-ton carbine. I've never accuracy tested it, but it always hits the target in the drills I run.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Wolf Ammunition - 04/26/12
Just FLRS a 500 pc batch of LC brass.....man I do love it!

$77 bucks for that batch after it's done with as many as 10 more loadings on that brass!

And to think we used to buy LC at 19 per 1000 and even less in large bulk orders... ugh.
Posted By: TWR Re: Wolf Ammunition - 04/26/12
We used to bu it at $99/1000 complete with bullet primer and powder...
Posted By: rost495 Re: Wolf Ammunition - 04/26/12
You might have a year or two on me... though I can remember when we could trade fired brass for loaded ammo, maybe a case of beer or such also for loaded ammo and so on....
Posted By: TWR Re: Wolf Ammunition - 04/26/12
Five years ago at most it was $149/1000 that's when I started buying American Eagle loaded in LC brass with 50 gr hp's for the same price and that was shipped from ammoman.com.

I gave Natchez $129/1000 for new uncrimped brass last year though. Oh if we only knew then...
Posted By: jimmyp Re: Wolf Ammunition - 04/26/12
the dollar is now worth 10 cents, anything of real value, gold, diamonds, copper, brass is still worth what it was before the dollar went to hell.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Wolf Ammunition - 04/27/12
Wow, I guess I was just enough out of competition that I wasn't paying attention to prices 5 years ago. We used to pay 99 a case for ball surplus but not anything (usually ... unless you could find FNM or HRT) as decent as LC.

Shows what I missed, but then sitting on top of as much reloadable 223 stuff as we have its not like we really need more....
Posted By: HE112 Re: Wolf Ammunition - 04/28/12
I have used the Russian various made steel ammo in my CZ-527 bolt action, and my Smith and Wesson AR-15, the accuracy is 2nd rate, and somewhat dirty. I stopped using the steel cased stuff in my AR when one of the fired cases jambed in the chamber a few months ago. The gun was cold, so it was not fused in from heat, etc. I fortunately had my rubber mallet and cleaning rod to pound it out.

I no longer shoot it in my AR, just brass cased. However, in my SKS and AK's, Russian steel cased is all I use, shoots great, never jambs.
© 24hourcampfire