Home
Posted By: coyoteman23 Flip up sights - 12/19/12
I am wanting to put some flip up sights on my RRA 18" varmint upper. I know open sights are not a regular thing on varmint rifles but I don't want to buy a different upper and I like to shoot open sights ever now and then. The front sight will go on the gas block so I'm guessing the sights need to be metal but I don't which to look at. Any ideas will be great. Thanks.
Posted By: Oklahoma Re: Flip up sights - 12/19/12
The best are Troy Battle Sights.
Posted By: dogzapper Re: Flip up sights - 12/19/12

I've got sone Troy BUIS on two rifles and Troy BUIS marked "Noveske" on another. And, of course, my Noveske Thunder Ranch Edition has Troy BUIS marked "Noveske."

Yeah, Troy is the finest BUIS from what I hear.

Looking at a couple hundred bucks for a pair, but damned well worth the expense. Could save your life.

Amazon is prolly not the place to buy but, surprisingly, I've made some GREAT AR-15 buys on Amazon, so don't count them out. Look, shop and compare ... then buy as an informed customer.

God Bless,

Steve

Posted By: EdM Re: Flip up sights - 12/19/12
I just picked up a couple of Knights Armament Company Micro 200-600m rear sights from a good guy over on the Ruger Forum for $55 shipped. He had a load of them. They are stamped USMC and are very well made and nice and tidy. I have not used one yet but one is mounted on my recently acquired PSA Carbine. Note this is a folder and not a "push the button and it flips up" sight.
Posted By: coyoteman23 Re: Flip up sights - 12/19/12
Thanks for the tips. Will any set of open sites work or do I need to look at specific heights?
Posted By: TWR Re: Flip up sights - 12/19/12
Railed gas blocks are usually shorter than the receiver so a taller front sight would be needed.
Posted By: Oklahoma Re: Flip up sights - 12/19/12
Originally Posted by TWR
Railed gas blocks are usually shorter than the receiver so a taller front sight would be needed.

These for the front...I like the HK style front sight.
Troy Front Gas Block Sight

And These on the rear..
Troy Rear Folding Sight
Posted By: JustOneGunner Re: Flip up sights - 12/19/12
For the rear sight, MBUS stand up better than the tested metal sights in the drop test. Also cheaper. Depending on the level of precision you want, something to consider.
Posted By: coyoteman23 Re: Flip up sights - 12/19/12
Thanks for the links. For those prices I will just save a little more and buy an EoTech and forgot about wanting to shoot iron sights.
Posted By: 1371 Re: Flip up sights - 12/19/12
Troy is the golden standard for folding sights. For fixed, traditional AR sights, look at LMT.
Posted By: EdM Re: Flip up sights - 12/19/12
Here's the one I bought. Pretty good deal.

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=166585
Posted By: TWR Re: Flip up sights - 12/19/12
Good chance those are either stolen or fakes.

Read quarterbore's link to KevinB's answer, yes he works for KAC but why would they surplus an item that is still being delivered?
Posted By: 222Rem Re: Flip up sights - 12/20/12
Yeah, that sale smells a little off to me too.

I'm probably in the minority here, but I take the BUIS quite literally...........and view them as piece of gear to be used as a backup aiming system AFTER the primary dies. To that end, I recently purchased a set of plastic Magpul Gen2 sights. They're light, affordable, and fold down nicely out of the way until needed. If I wanted metal sights I'd probably have ordered my carbines with the standard front sight gas block, then bought Troy rear sights.

Just throwing out another option not mentioned yet. And lest anyone think my motives were strictly monetary, they weren't.........I cut NO corners on the carbines I ordered. I just view the M-P sights as kind of the Glock of BUIS, and don't view polymer, practical, and ugly as a bad thing if they perform-----------sights or pistols. If I'm in for a rude awakening, I'm sure someone will be kind enough to speak up. wink
Posted By: JustOneGunner Re: Flip up sights - 12/20/12
Originally Posted by coyoteman23
Thanks for the links. For those prices I will just save a little more and buy an EoTech and forgot about wanting to shoot iron sights.

No, no, nooo. At least get the MBUS!
I just found where you'd previously suggested the MBUS (skimmed over it somehow), and I agree. Do you have a link to the drop test? I've got a new set of Gen 2 MBUS, and think they're pretty slick for the coin. Considering today's plastics, it wouldn't surprise me if they're tougher than the alloy/steel BUIS.
Posted By: JustOneGunner Re: Flip up sights - 12/20/12
Yep.

http://kitup.military.com/2012/07/back-up-iron-sight-drop-test.html
Thanks smile
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Flip up sights - 12/20/12
Originally Posted by coyoteman23
I am wanting to put some flip up sights on my RRA 18" varmint upper. I know open sights are not a regular thing on varmint rifles but I don't want to buy a different upper and I like to shoot open sights ever now and then. The front sight will go on the gas block so I'm guessing the sights need to be metal but I don't which to look at. Any ideas will be great. Thanks.

I know ya ask for metal, but the factory MagPul sights on my PSA are outstanding, and will collapse and fold down rather than bend in an accident.

I'm a greenhorn, but they seem very well made to me.

Gunner
Posted By: Cold Zero Re: Flip up sights - 01/03/13
Another vote for Troy.
Posted By: LOTT Re: Flip up sights - 01/04/13
Has anyone ever tryed the 45 degree offset sights on their ar. Allows you to keep the scope on and tilt your ar 45 degrees and use iron sights. would like to know how well they work or any issues.
Posted By: TWR Re: Flip up sights - 01/04/13
I've seen the set up but it was for close range targets in 3 gun. To me it is too awkward but some might be fine with canting the gun.
Posted By: Take_a_knee Re: Flip up sights - 01/04/13
Originally Posted by LOTT
Has anyone ever tryed the 45 degree offset sights on their ar. Allows you to keep the scope on and tilt your ar 45 degrees and use iron sights. would like to know how well they work or any issues.

I just bought a cheap chinese set to play with. Be advised they will only be zeroed for ONE RANGE. The round will continue off course increasing to the left side past that range. This is no different than shooting from an unorthodox position like laying sideways shooting under a car or rollover prone.
Posted By: JustOneGunner Re: Flip up sights - 01/05/13
Offset red dot makes more sense, plus a QD mount for your main optic and normal BUIS.
© 24hourcampfire