Home
Posted By: gorskij Tell me about the 6 Creedmoor. - 03/23/13
What do you guys know about the 6 Creedmoor, I mean how does it compare to other 6mms? etc etc?
It's the 6.5 Creedmoor and it was designed to allow mag-length seating of 140gr VLD bullets so that you can shoot 300 yard Prone Rapid with those bullets in a package that has ballistics similar to the .260 Remington.

That is it's entire reason for being. Any other use is just a bonus.
OK, Im talking about the 6 Creedmoor, now.
My understanding is that the 6 creedmore would be ballistically similar to the 243, but more mag length friendly with heavy bullets.

Try messaging scenarshooter, if I'm not mistaken, I remember seeing a post by him referencing a rifle he owned in that caliber.
If you want to shoot a 6mm bullet from a .308 platform AR, it is a great choice. It is a 6.5 Creedmoor neck'd to 6mm. I believe GA Precision was one of the first to experiment with this round in their GAP-10's. It would be comparible to .243 ballistics but with a shorter OAL. Ideal for gas guns so you can load the long match bullets and still feed from a magazine.
Yep, search over on snipers hide, lots of posts including those by scenarshooter and George Gardner of GA Precision..
Here you go...

http://forum.snipershide.com/sniper...p-10-match-rifle-idea-6mm-creedmoor.html
It would be a neat chambering in a fast-twist Kimber 84M Montana.
Originally Posted by JPro
It would be a neat chambering in a fast-twist Kimber 84M Montana.

Nah, that's where the 6XC shines. wink
Six of one, half a dozen of another.... (grin)
Very true. Honestly, the only reason I went 6XC on my Montana is that I found a deal on a set of dies and a bunch of brass. That said, I'd still go 6XC over 6 Creedmore. The XC has Norma brass right off the shelf.
I sometimes just plain forget about the 6XC being out there. We've got no shortage of options these days. You are likely correct on the brass and dies issue being simplified.
Dan,
Why the 6XC over the 243AI?
Seeing how we each have one on the Montana I'm curious.
Thx.
For me, the shorter 6XC case just made more sense with the longer bullets in the Kimber's mag box. Or maybe I just had to be different. grin
© 24hourcampfire