Home
I just put a comp on my AR for 3 gun and decided to try it out on some coyotes today. After the first shot I stuck a foam ear plug in my left ear to stop the blood, I should have done the same for the right one as it is ringing right now.

SJC Titan comp is bad for your hearing. Important Safety tip. I was able to track the coyote with the scope after every shot though.
Originally Posted by supercrewd
after every shot

Crap dude! How many shots did you take without earpro?
Posted By: EdM Re: Holy Crap this thing is loud. - 10/13/13
I use the Troy Claymore on my AR's for that very reason.
I HATE muzzle brakes!

a Brake or Comp should require a $200 tax stamp and suppressor/moderator/silencer should be FREE!

Poole
What comp?

I'm going Surefire, or YHM if I move to a suppressor state. Supposed to be manageable.
I figured by now eveyrone knew about brakes. You never shoot em without protection.
I will not do it again, that is for sure.
Shoot a 10.5" AR without a suppresor if you want to hear LOUD!
Try a KAC Triple Tap.

Surefire EP4s should probably in our kits/HD setups, lol.
had my wife shoot my two ar's befoe javelina season to see which one she would carry... She always liked shooting the m4 with the YHM comp, but then she shot my 20" bull barrel with no comp on the end... with the same exact load, the noise and muzzle blast from the m4 was 2-3x what the bull barrel rifle was.... She of course chose the heavier, 'more polite' bull barrel. (Which I knew she would, and I told her, but as usuall... What do I know?)
Take a look at the Kies linear comp or the Kaw Valley. Both can be had for about $40 and are better than a naked barrel for pushing blast down range. I am strongly considering one for a work rifle since they do eliminate any of the side gassing. The only issue is they turn some ammo into a flame thrower at low light with a beachball size blast.

http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Kaw...Comp_1_2x28_Blac_p/kvp-linear223-blk.htm
I had a Levang linear Comp on it for coyote hunting as the 16 in barrel was too loud as it. The Levang is going back on and the SJC is coming off and only going on for matches.
Originally Posted by reelman

Got one of those too. Brutal without suppression.
I've been around 11.5" ARs and comps like the Titan. I think I'd rather deal with a shorty than the Titan.
I had a Levang linear Comp on it for coyote hunting as the 16 in barrel was too loud as it. The Levang is going back on and the SJC is coming off and only going on for matches.

Another bonus....an obnoxiously loud and blasty rifle will keep ROs from crowding you, lol.
Posted By: TWR Re: Holy Crap this thing is loud. - 10/13/13
I bought a bushmaster back in the day, it had a 14.5" barrel with a mini Y comp on it. I fired the first round and it felt like someone shot me in the face with an air hose. I fired it a few more times, let my cousin see why I was cussing it and promptly sold the POS.

I now run Vortex flash hiders and will never again run a brake. I don't need to be that fast on follow ups...
I having trouble wrapping my mind around anyone shooting any gun without ear pro. Every time it goes bang, whether you believe it or not, you are doing permanent, irreparable damage to your ears. Surefire Sonic defenders coat less than $15 and will let you hear normal conversations while still giving some protection. I won't even hunt without ear pro.
Originally Posted by TWR
I bought a bushmaster back in the day, it had a 14.5" barrel with a mini Y comp on it. I fired the first round and it felt like someone shot me in the face with an air hose. I fired it a few more times, let my cousin see why I was cussing it and promptly sold the POS.

I now run Vortex flash hiders and will never again run a brake. I don't need to be that fast on follow ups...

I've never seen a mini-y, but googled it. Apparently, they're pretty harsh. I can't imagine a brake that directs blast AT the shooter, it kinda defeats the whole purpose. All the brakes I've been around have been bad on the folks next to the shooter, but not so much the shooter himself. With good ear pro of course.
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
I having trouble wrapping my mind around anyone shooting any gun without ear pro. Every time it goes bang, whether you believe it or not, you are doing permanent, irreparable damage to your ears. Surefire Sonic defenders coat less than $15 and will let you hear normal conversations while still giving some protection. I won't even hunt without ear pro.

I will look at those. I was hunting, I usually either am not bothered or have so many clothes on it does not seem loud. What the heck, I just ordered some.
Originally Posted by TWR

Sounds like a crappy comp.
Posted By: TWR Re: Holy Crap this thing is loud. - 10/14/13
It was a terrible comp but during the ban, you had very few choices.

I also had an AR-10 with a 16" barrel and Armalites brake that would clear anyone from either side of you.

Cousin did have a brake from Accuracy systems that worked well but I hate brakes. The newer Battlecomps and the like are a whole lot different yet still the same. If I was shaving seconds, I might be interested but I do ok without them.
16 inch barrel the simple A2 hider is loud but not amplified loud. I shoot 300WSM, 308, 257 roberts, 5.56 in the woods at deer. The 5.56 with A2 in a 16 inch barrel seems less loud than a 308 from a 22 inch barrel, but I probably cannot hear anymore anyway. I have scrupulously avoided muzzle brakes since the one time I fired a ported marlin 44 magnum in the woods. That particular gun lasted 10 days in my collection IIRC.
You should never shoot without hearing protecting. I did and regret it every day. Constant ringing in ears and difficulties hearing things. Get electronic hearing protection to hunt with.
Originally Posted by jimmyp
I have scrupulously avoided muzzle brakes since the one time I fired a ported marlin 44 magnum in the woods. That particular gun lasted 10 days in my collection IIRC.

My Rem 700 VTR is louder than my other 308's, enough to prevent it from going to the deer woods. Even so, it isn't nearly as bad as other braked rifles I encounter at the range. I'm impressed by how obnoxious a short barreled 223 can be made by screwing the right loudener on the end of the barrel.
My favorite flash suppressor is the Vortex . Muzzle Brakes should come a free coupon for you first visit to the Audiologist
I am going to try the cheapo ear pro already recommended. Any advice as to electronic hunting ear pro?
I am trying the sport ear devices, they can make things real loud but are supposed to shut off at the shot, I will find out more tomorrow. The jury is still out.
I am going to try the cheapo ear pro already recommended. Any advice as to electronic hunting ear pro?

ive got a $25 pair of electronic Caldwells that actually work really well.....prolly not as comfortable as more expensive ones but a huge improvement over the non electric ones as far as usability, i can actually hear conversations if there is someone around me something thats occasionally challenging even if i aint shooting and worried bout hearing protection crazy
Not sure what break/hider Rock River uses but my son's RR Operator is a unique listening experience when fired in an indoor range even with good muffs or plugs. It's still LOUD, throws fire out about 2 feet on each side and creates a noticeable shock wave you can feel.
My question is WHY does the puny poodle shooter called the .223/5.56 need a muzzlebrake? Are we really that wimpy that we need to dampen the minimal recoil it generates?

I had my local 'smith cut the brake off my stag 6.8 for the reason the OP sighted. Damn loud and I want to use it for hunting.
Originally Posted by TWR
It was a terrible comp but during the ban, you had very few choices.

I also had an AR-10 with a 16" barrel and Armalites brake that would clear anyone from either side of you.

grin yep I had one as well, and they do clear the benches - which is actually okay if you have a jerk next to you smile . Glad I never had to shoot it inside a house crazy

I now have an 18" on the AR10, and a Vortex hider.
Originally Posted by dmsbandit
My question is WHY does the puny poodle shooter called the .223/5.56 need a muzzlebrake? Are we really that wimpy that we need to dampen the minimal recoil it generates?

I had my local 'smith cut the brake off my stag 6.8 for the reason the OP sighted. Damn loud and I want to use it for hunting.

I agree. However, they are loud with or without brakes. Not wearing ear-pro is more stupid than putting a brake on a .223/5.56.
Posted By: TWR Re: Holy Crap this thing is loud. - 10/15/13
I went against Armalites advice and cut mine off. They said it was pressed on but I felt like I could turn it down and thread it. It was actually threaded and pinned so it came off quick.

As for the poodle shooter comment, brakes are for those that want to see hits in their scopes or get to the next target as fast as possible. It has nothing to do with managing recoil to just shoot.

Walker's Game Ear.

In competition- speed matters and hundredths of a second (1/100ths) is the difference between winning and losing.

In real life- speed matters and hundredths of a second (1/100ths) is the difference between winning and losing. Because I want to see what is happening through my optic. A good brake keeps my sights shimmering in a head size target at 100 yards. If I want it to be "quieter" I'll mount a suppressor.
I just put a comp on my AR for 3 gun and decided to try it out on some coyotes today. After the first shot I stuck a foam ear plug in my left ear to stop the blood, I should have done the same for the right one as it is ringing right now.

SJC Titan comp is bad for your hearing. Important Safety tip. I was able to track the coyote with the scope after every shot though.

Lord have Mercy. cry cry

Gunner
They never seem to have trouble hearing after indoor gun battles on TV so we must be doing something wrong.
laugh laugh

Gunner
Yeah, something like a Titan on an AR is not for recoil control in the normal sense of the idea. It's about keeping the muzzle from moving for fast follow up shots, most noticeably in your transitions. Shooting at 7-25 yards you'll be fine with a standard flash hider. But offhand shooting at 80 yards is considerably easier with a good comp.
Originally Posted by jimone
They never seem to have trouble hearing after indoor gun battles on TV so we must be doing something wrong.

To a point there is actually a tad bit of truth in that, its called auditory exclusion. It does only go so far, like if you have a 50cal M2 go off near your ear.
Aint that the truth on auditory exclusion. I have had more than a few rounds go off without ear protection in the field and I know I lost hearing from that but a single accident with a flashbang was an instant 30% loss in one ear and it has never stopped ringing.
Well the good news it my ears have stopped ringing (and bleeding). The Linear Comp is back on the hunting rifle, I have a couple of the ear plugs recommended on the way, and when I hunt I will use them. Next 3 gun I do I will remount the comp, as it does work well for fast shooting.
Auditory Exclusion is waaaayyyy overrated. Damaging sound is damaging whether you pay attention to it or not.
Originally Posted by ConradCA
You should never shoot without hearing protecting. I did and regret it every day. Constant ringing in ears and difficulties hearing things. Get electronic hearing protection to hunt with.

+1000

Barring a defensive (hell, maybe offensive at the rate we're going) situation, I don't pull the trigger without earpro anymore.
So what do you use for hunting?
So what do you use for hunting?

I've been using A2s on both ARs. I think one is getting a Levang, and the other the Surefire brake.
I meant earpro.
I meant earpro.

You don't use earpro when hunting...

Too bad suppressors are completely illegal in MN. If anything, their use should be encouraged, especially when hunting.
I wore earpro for the last two shots I took at hogs. It was a hassle, but there ain't no way I was pulling the trigger without it.
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
I wore earpro for the last two shots I took at hogs. It was a hassle, but there ain't no way I was pulling the trigger without it.

That makes more sense; I'm also exclusively a deer hunter, so I was thinking more about that.
I received the Surefire Sonic defenders in the mail and tried them today. They are comfortable and easy to seat, never feels like they are falling out. I shot a bunch of rimfire and never felt like I could hear the shots. Not a torture test but a test. So a success. Thanks for the heads up.

When shooting rodents at long range you need to see where the bullets strike and a break can help that. Furthermore there is no reason not to wear hearing protection.
I received the Surefire Sonic defenders in the mail and tried them today. They are comfortable and easy to seat, never feels like they are falling out. I shot a bunch of rimfire and never felt like I could hear the shots. Not a torture test but a test. So a success. Thanks for the heads up.

Have used EP3s and EP4s extensively and highly recommend them.
Originally Posted by JustOneGunner
I meant earpro.

You don't use earpro when hunting...

Like hell. Excluding an unplanned fight, I don't pull the trigger without earpro. Ever.

When hunting i wear these: http://www.amazon.com/3M-Tactical-Hearing-Protector-Compatible/dp/B000Q04MRG

They actually IMPROVE my hearing so it's a win/win.
Originally Posted by Bill Poole

a Brake or Comp should require a $200 tax stamp and suppressor/moderator/silencer should be FREE!

Poole

Brilliant

When shooting rodents at long range you need to see where the bullets strike and a break can help that. Furthermore there is no reason not to wear hearing protection.

I don't recall too many bolt action 223s having breaks on them? Don't people use them for shooting little targets with fur on them too?

I guess you never have to actually be able to hear when you're deer hunting. I use my hearing as much as my eyes and no hearing protection out there allows you to hear the sounds of the woods like your own ears can. More often than not, I hear the deer before they are spotted, so I see no need to have a break on any HUNTING GUN no matter what size or action type.

One shot in the woods without a brake won't hurt me, but one shot with a brake and no hearing protection certainly will.
Remington sold some .223 bolt guns a while back with the triangular barrels, and yes they came with brakes on some models. Making it easier to see hits was the answer I got about it.

Magnum revolvers are another one you don't want to EVER shoot without ear protection.
Posted By: TWR Re: Holy Crap this thing is loud. - 10/24/13
According to my ear doc, even one shot with a 22 degrades your hearing.

And yes brakes are sort of popular on bolt guns with poodle shooters cause half the fun is seeing how high they can fly. I went this year with a guy who had a heavy barreled Cooper 204 and a heavy barreled 223, he could see his hits with the 204 but not his 223. Next year he will either have a brake on the 223 or it will be rebarrelled to another 204.

I hate brakes and won't own one but there are others who put them to good use.

I don't recall too many bolt action 223s having breaks on them? Don't people use them for shooting little targets with fur on them too?

I guess you never have to actually be able to hear when you're deer hunting. I use my hearing as much as my eyes and no hearing protection out there allows you to hear the sounds of the woods like your own ears can. More often than not, I hear the deer before they are spotted, so I see no need to have a break on any HUNTING GUN no matter what size or action type.

One shot in the woods without a brake won't hurt me, but one shot with a brake and no hearing protection certainly will.

Most people view their ARs as multipurpose guns. Besides that, a muzzle device protects your crown.

no hearing protection out there allows you to hear the sounds of the woods like your own ears can.

You are incorrect on both points. There is ear pro that is good enough that you truly forget you are wearing it. Also any shot, no matter the gun, even one shot damages your hearing.
Do you guys who always wear ear pro put it on in the morning when you head up the mountain and wear it all day? Hunting in rough country where a juniper tree may and will rip it from your head as you pass by?

I try to wear it when I can, but it's a bit impractical for many forms of hunting.
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Do you guys who always wear ear pro put it on in the morning when you head up the mountain and wear it all day? Hunting in rough country where a juniper tree may and will rip it from your head as you pass by?

I try to wear it when I can, but it's a bit impractical for many forms of hunting.

I have never been able to wear ear pro all day in the field. Would be great but in the real world I can not get it to work day in and day out.

On the flip side my hearing is still pretty good and I don't have any tinnitus.

Lots of magnum level handgun in the field in addition to the rifle shots. I don't remember ever having ear pro on for a shot at big game. Not recommended but that is my experience.

The inline brakes do mitigate the 16 inch barrel to a degree.
Yep, ear pro is one of those things that seems like a great idea, but is simply impractical for a lot of real world use.
I always keep a set of ears handy when hunting with the kids so the shooter will have protection and the other boys can just plug up their ears. I usually don't wear ear pro unless I'm hunting with an AR with a brake.
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Yep, ear pro is one of those things that seems like a great idea, but is simply impractical for a lot of real world use.

It would be great if you were wrong. grin Wishful thinking. If Formid has some suggestions I am all EARs. grin

Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
I always keep a set of ears handy when hunting with the kids so the shooter will have protection and the other boys can just plug up their ears. I usually don't wear ear pro unless I'm hunting with an AR with a brake.

I think kids need some extra protection as they may not really understand the choice.

Side note, even the girls need to be covered. laugh Peltor Comtacs are pretty good,

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Bump, because Monday I had a SF brake get me. I was standing about six feet behind the muzzle and had my left ear turned to it. One unexpected shot and it hurt. Not just ringing, but painful.

Don't ever get around these things without earpro.
what did you say?

[Linked Image]

As much as I want to fire two shots in under a second I just cannot see a brake in my future. The VLTOR A5 kit if it helps would be more something I would waste money on in that regard.
You dont need a brake to fire 2 in just under a second.

We did it quite regularly, AIMED shots at 600 yards, Could get off 40 plus rounds in 50 seconds including a mag change shooting 20 rounders, so thats 2 mag changes.

Only using an A2 solid bottom flash hider and a tight sling prone.

But then shooting without hearing protection isn't smart. We used and still use custom plugs most of the time and in addition slim line muffs at times.
Originally Posted by reelman

Try shootin' one out the window of a pickup. A Walker's Game Ear comes in REALLY handy at that point. I have a custom molded plug for the Game Ear. Sometimes I have to remember to take it out at lunch time when I'm on the range all day.
With the muzzle out the window on a 16 or 20 inch I find it not nearly as loud as just being out with the gun.

But if you screw up and get the muzzle inside... wow.
I can fire 7 rounds from my Glock 42 in under 2 seconds and hit a pie plate 7 times at 10 feet! I guess I have to try it with my black guns to see what I can hit in under 2 seconds.
if you can do it with a glock, you can do well with an AR.... I was kinda wondering....
My suppressed 10.5 AR is still loud, I won't shoot it without hearing protection.
Posted By: TLB2 Re: Holy Crap this thing is loud. - 05/20/14
Black river tactical makes one like the Troy that is a good one for hunting rifles
YOU DO NOT WANT A BAD AND PERMANENT CASE OF TINNITUS.

IT CAN drastically affect your quality of life.

Some cases are just annoying while others are truly disabling.

This past year I have been dealing with a severe case, while at the same time having good hearing in my left ear and some loss of hearing in my right ear-not bad for my age I was told. But the Tinnitus is a whole other issue. First question out of the specialist's mouth was "Firearms?"

Doctors don't talk much about it because there is no cure for over 95 % of the cases. Actually, much higher than that I'm sure as the only fellow I know cured is the one selling the book "How I cured my Tinnitus."

It's more prevalent in men, ages 60 to 70, and of course, men who fired guns w/o protection while hunting. I believe I wore protection during range time almost always for years. Notice I said "almost."

Now, it has be plugs and muffs, if at all, until I decide

which rifles and pistols get suppressors, and what possible new

goodies even my wife cannot complain about me purchasing as in

300 Blackouts with subsonic ammo, ( downloaded 308's, 06's, 44's -any cartridge downloaded to below the speed of sound and a suppressor out front ), new pre-threaded 45 ACP Tacticals, etc.

Many cases of Tinnitus throw your entire Limbic system out of whack meaning you will be sick in more ways than I can recount here.

Diabetes, high blood pressure, poor circulation, ear anatomy degeneration, etc. can all be causes but if you studied how much scientists now know about weapons' noise signatures in decibels, you would be shocked as ALL shots unsuppressed to below a certain level will permanently damage your hearing to some extent-kill a certain number of hearing cells which cannot be replaced and in so many cases produce Tinnitus in it's severest forms.

There are numerous factors that make it worse. Indoors and roofs make it worse. Short barrels are bad, even the standard 16 inch AR's. A 2 inch 357 magnum indoors is really bad. Outdoors with a strong wind blowing the noise away from you can be a really good thing if you are a bystander several yards away. I've been out West where the wind appeared to have acted like a major suppressor but the truth is the blast at the muzzle was doing damage to the shooter.

Unless you are in imminent danger and have absolutely not the time to get to some ear protection, don't do it. You may pay dearly for it even if many years later.

And depending on the particular cartridge, your hearing protection, and even with a particular suppressor, that combination might not be enough to protect your ears from damage.
Sound, advice, pun not intended.

But we've all btdt and shot some without protection.

I am 99% certain that my hearing loss at 49 is due to not using protection with chainsaws, and the like, even lawnmowers. As we were both using a form of protection when shooting, and when shooting competitions often custom formed highly rated plugs. And sometimes muffs over that.

That's an A plus on chain saws, lawn mowers, etc. all the time and even juicers, blenders, vacuum cleaners, etc. once one learns they have a problem.

Scientists know that the duration or length of time one is exposed at one outing to loud noise is a major factor, whether it be gun fire or a lawn mower. The ear can only handle so much each day before even further damage is done.

Another problem shooters develop with hearing loss and Tinnitus is hyperacusis which is extreme sensitivity to sound period. I have that, too, now, and I don't say turn the TV up but rather tell the wife to turn it down and I wear shooting muffs when I run a juicer or blender. They actually hurt.

I'd just advise the average Joe who does not have a problem as yet to double up with the plugs plus muffs.
I been through the AR comp/brake evolution. Brakes and comps are great with hearing protection, but brutal in the field. I would suggest a VAIS brake or Vltor comp and Surefire ear plugs ($12) that allow you to hear conversation and still provide good protection.
Actually, we shot the AR so many years wihtout anything, flashiders were legal but that was it.

Unless I was in 3 gun, I see no need at all for any kind of brake on an AR.
Viagra aint good for your hearing either...
Ain't tried that one yet.
What?
Posted By: PSE Re: Holy Crap this thing is loud. - 06/10/14
Some people on this thread like to run a vortex flash suppressor - I also run this on my 14.5 inch AR and it does its job eliminating flash by swirling and cooling the gases coming from the muzzle.
My question is - Do you think it also moderates the sound signature (even a little) for much the reason?
Posted By: TWR Re: Holy Crap this thing is loud. - 06/11/14
I use Vortex's as well and I think they take the "bite" out of the report but have no data to prove one way or the other.

They do eliminate flash better than anything I've tried and I will never use another brake of any kind.
© 24hourcampfire