Home
Posted By: ironeagle_84 ARs in cold weather? - 11/29/14
How would you recommend lubing an AR in the cold weather? Its supposed to be used in weather around 20 degrees. Just regular lube? Or full synthetic racing oil? grin

I just want it to function properly. Thats all.
Posted By: Bluedreaux Re: ARs in cold weather? - 11/29/14
I use Mobil1 and haven't had a problem. I shoot in the 30s a few times a year and it was in the low twenties once. I'm sure others have a lot more experience with the cold.
Posted By: Remy Re: ARs in cold weather? - 11/29/14
Less is more if your going to be out in it more than 20 hours
Posted By: Take_a_knee Re: ARs in cold weather? - 11/30/14
A Nickel Boron BCG, dry as a bone.
Posted By: 68W Re: ARs in cold weather? - 11/30/14
Don't sweat the small stuff. I've called coyotes colder than 20 deg and CLP functioned without issue. I've been considering buying a quart of synthetic motor oil just cause its easy to get in a larger quantity off the shelf than CLP (IME) and it would last me a lifetime.
Posted By: ironeagle_84 Re: ARs in cold weather? - 11/30/14
I had a quart of Royal Purple left over from an old rig i was working on, but i used it all up in a current rig when i realized that it was nearly out of oil. I never checked the oil before we got the rig. It was the first thing i did the next morning, and i was glad. I will just lube it with gun oil tomorrow and it should be good to go.
Posted By: Rancho_Loco Re: ARs in cold weather? - 11/30/14
20 degrees isn't cold.
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
20 degrees isn't cold.

Its cold for here. Im not saying there isnt colder weather out there.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: ARs in cold weather? - 11/30/14
I wear shorts in 20 degrees Celsius.
Posted By: Rancho_Loco Re: ARs in cold weather? - 11/30/14
Originally Posted by ironeagle_84
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
20 degrees isn't cold.

Its cold for here. Im not saying there isnt colder weather out there.

You're missing the point. It's not cold FOR AN AR15.
Ok then. I dont know what kind of temps normal gun lube is rated for. Thought i would seek the opinions of those more experienced than myself.
You have to go with some pretty heavy stuff before you will have an issue with it. Normal CLP ect, no issue down to -30.
Posted By: jimmyp Re: ARs in cold weather? - 11/30/14
I think axle grease "might" be a problem in cold weather but maybe not, Formidilosus uses grease in his.
Posted By: sherp Re: ARs in cold weather? - 11/30/14
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
You have to go with some pretty heavy stuff before you will have an issue with it. Normal CLP ect, no issue down to -30.

"LUBRlCATlON INSTRUCTlONS (Cont) 0016 00

NOTE

Wherever the term CLP or the words lube or lubricant are cited in this TM, it is to be interpreted to mean that CLP, LSA, or LAW can be utilized as applicable. The following constraints must be adhered to (1)Under all but the coldest arctic conditions, LSA or CLP are the lubricants to use on your weapon. Either may be used at -10�F or above. However, do not use both on the same weapon at the same time. (2) LAW is the lubricant to use during cold arctic conditions, +10�F and below. (3) Any of the lubricants may be used from -10�F to
+10�F. (4) Do not mix lubricants on the same weapon. The weapon
must be thoroughly cleaned during change from one lubricant to
another. Dry cleaning solvent (SD) is recommended for cleaning for cleaning during change from one lubricant to another.

0016 00-2"
Posted By: deflave Re: ARs in cold weather? - 11/30/14
CLP works fine for any temperatures you're going to run into in the state of Oregon.

Travis
Posted By: BarryC Re: ARs in cold weather? - 11/30/14
Lube was the least of my problems with an AR in cold weather. smile

The AL conducting heat away from my hands was!
OMG, I don't know how anyone shoots with an AL hand guard in cold weather! cry
Originally Posted by deflave
CLP works fine for any temperatures you're going to run into in the state of Oregon.

Travis

A) Even if that was true(it isn't, see B) CLP is not good to the -30 claimed.

B)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seneca,_Oregon

"Seneca experiences the coolest weather in Grant County and has the distinction of the coldest official temperature recorded in Oregon: −54 �F (−48 �C) in 1933.[8][10]"

It isn't the first or only time temperatures in the state of Oregon have dropped below the lower temperature limit of CLP either.

C) While the OP was concerning temperatures of 20, anyone researching temp ranges of lubes online could hit on this thread. Why do you want someone needing a lube that will functions below -10 to base their decision on information that is obviously wrong?

You Green Berets that were never Green Berets are funny as fugg.

Post a pic of your AR!

Travis
You Green Berets that were never Green Berets are funny as fugg.

Post a pic of your AR!

Travis

The -30 comment may have been an honest mistake. I didn't name call or make the slightest negative comment when showing what the actual operating temperatures are.

You keep driving home the point that you are a very dishonest, hateful, and ignorant little person.
Here's another point I'll drive home:

CLP works in -30.

Now STFU and go play with your dolls.

Travis
Here's another point I'll drive home:

CLP works in -30.

Now STFU and go play with your dolls.

Travis

Seems better to go with actual recorded weather data and the tested temperature ranges of lubricants instead of baseless/false blathering from an habitual liar such as yourself.
Posted By: jimmyp Re: ARs in cold weather? - 11/30/14
Sherp, if you were standing in front of me swearing something on the bible I would not believe you.
Originally Posted by jimmyp
Sherp, if you were standing in front of me swearing something on the bible I would not believe you.

I didn't swear anything nor did I need to. Just shared the info from the TM and written weather reports.

Now, why do you not believe me exactly? Is it because I support police officers in what ever they say or do much like they support each other? If so, why do you hate police?
Posted By: supercrewd Re: ARs in cold weather? - 11/30/14
I would recommend "lightly lubed" in the coldest of weather.
Posted By: kwg020 Re: ARs in cold weather? - 11/30/14
Originally Posted by jimmyp
I think axle grease "might" be a problem in cold weather but maybe not, Formidilosus uses grease in his.

I mix gear oil with Remoil. I thin it for winter and leave it heavier in the summer. It's even used gear oil that has set for several months to let the heavy stuff settle to the bottom of the jug.

Yea, I'm a cheapskate.

kwg
Posted By: MichiganScott Re: ARs in cold weather? - 11/30/14
I use regular Breakfree CLP in Michigan and have no problems. Then again, I consider much below 20 degrees too cold.
Posted By: JohnBurns Re: ARs in cold weather? - 12/01/14
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
I use Mobil1 and haven't had a problem. I shoot in the 30s a few times a year and it was in the low twenties once. I'm sure others have a lot more experience with the cold.

Mobil 1 works fine at -25F. Full power 5.56 loads also help as short stroking is the most common issue in deep cold.

Originally Posted by 4321

I have not had good luck dry with or without NiB.
Posted By: Take_a_knee Re: ARs in cold weather? - 12/01/14
Originally Posted by JohnBurns

Originally Posted by 4321

I have not had good luck dry with or without NiB.

A dry gun won't run for hundreds of rounds of course, that carbon has to go somewhere. It will run for a while. The enemy of an AR in sub-zero weather is moisture more than the cold. Keep the dust cover closed, and above all else, don't bring it in and out of warm buildings or vehicles. Leave it in the cold and its more apt to go bang.
Posted By: jimmyp Re: ARs in cold weather? - 12/01/14
I have used this for a few years but never subjected it to -100 degree's.

EXTREME HEAT AND COLD
Slip 2000 EWL has a temperature range of -100 degrees
F to a +1250 degrees F so it will not freeze, become
sticky or tacky or slow down in cold weather.
Posted By: AH64guy Re: ARs in cold weather? - 12/01/14
OP - CLP will work down to -30F. Yes, I've done it. LAW is better, but we didn't have much of it. Go figure, an Artic unit without Artic weight oil.

Fast forward 25 years, I'd use the Slip 2000 and make use of the tech available today.

Posted By: wareagle700 Re: ARs in cold weather? - 12/01/14
I use Mobil 1 synthetic, works great and is cheap. I used it last year during the polar vortex when it got down to almost 40 degrees........so there's that. wink

Much colder than that and my life depends on Folgers.
Posted By: varmintsinc Re: ARs in cold weather? - 12/02/14
I am using frog lube and my AR is stored in the trunk. It was -18 the other day and I broke it out and ran a mag through it with no problem. The .22 conversion kits get a little sticky and needs to be extremely clean to run properly.
Posted By: ironeagle_84 Re: ARs in cold weather? - 12/03/14
Thanks guys for the advice. I used synthetic motor oil i had on the bolt. I only shot 20 or so rounds in the cold and kept the dust cover closed all the time i wasnt running and gunning.

I appreciate the advice towards the slip 2000. I like what i hear regarding that.
Posted By: ranger1 Re: ARs in cold weather? - 12/03/14
I guess having used an AR extensively in the extreme cold for years, I've been doing it all wrong. Here I've just been wiping the carrier group with a light coat of WD-40 after cleaning it and shooting stuff. I should have been buying fancy lubricants or using motor oil. Never worried about closing the dust cover either. Slam in a mag, rack the charging handle and tap the forward assist. Goes bang every time.
Posted By: Take_a_knee Re: ARs in cold weather? - 12/03/14
Originally Posted by ranger1
I should have been buying fancy lubricants or using motor oil. Never worried about closing the dust cover either.

Geez, what kinda "ranger" are you? The Rangers I know would've done more pushups than Jack LaLanne if they hadn't kept that dust cover closed. Dirt ain't as much of a problem as snow/ice.

Never tried it but WD40 and a wipe-down would probably work as WD displaces water/moisture and it is mostly kerosene so that should stay liquid to a low temp, I think.
Totally different situation. I'm not doing the 3-5 second rush on coyotes. I even use the sling! The dust cover is great if you're abusing your rifle, I don't feel the need when I'm walking 400 yards from the pickup and calling a dozen or so times in a day. No snow, ice, or dirt in my AR or my bolt action, if that's what I choose to use that day. It's not a bad idea to close it, just not really necessary in a normal hunting situation. A little common sense goes a long ways when approaching most of life's problems.
Posted By: rattler Re: ARs in cold weather? - 12/03/14
guessing rangers done more shooting in actual real cold than most...hell half the Alaskan crew on here has warmer winters than we do.....
Posted By: jimmyp Re: ARs in cold weather? - 12/03/14
WD-40 works on arthritis as well, a friends mom sprays her knees once a day, wipes them down leaving a light coat on them and then walks 5 miles in sub zero temperatures to the local Walmart to buy Little Friskies Tuna delights for her cat. She has left her dust cover open a time or two as well but at 90 most people just don't pay any attention.
Posted By: JohnBurns Re: ARs in cold weather? - 12/03/14
I guess having used an AR extensively in the extreme cold for years, I've been doing it all wrong. Here I've just been wiping the carrier group with a light coat of WD-40 after cleaning it and shooting stuff. I should have been buying fancy lubricants or using motor oil. Never worried about closing the dust cover either. Slam in a mag, rack the charging handle and tap the forward assist. Goes bang every time.

Never to late to learn. WD-40 is pretty far down the list of firearm lubricants. Better than nothing, but then again Pat Rodgers did a stunt where he lubed his AR with Vagasil.
grin grin
Posted By: Take_a_knee Re: ARs in cold weather? - 12/03/14
Pat "Moose Cock" Rodgers is one funny SOB. WD40 ain't never been a proper lubricant but it works wonders on M16's that have been rained on everyday for three weeks so you can turn them in to the arms room and clean them tommorrow. It actually loosens carbon fairly well.
I'm always willing to learn. As soon as what I'm doing fails to work, I'll learn a new way of doing it that works better. Been waiting for a lot of years and a lot of rounds for this to fail though.
Posted By: JohnBurns Re: ARs in cold weather? - 12/04/14
I'm always willing to learn. As soon as what I'm doing fails to work, I'll learn a new way of doing it that works better. Been waiting for a lot of years and a lot of rounds for this to fail though.

That's not a very HiSpeed LowDrag way of doing things. grin
© 24hourcampfire