Home
Posted By: Bigdogfla Burris PEPR scope mount - 02/18/15
I have an AR with a 20 inch barrel I am setting up for Varmits... Thinking of using a 6 x 18 x 50 scope with a 1" tube. I am considering the PEPR mount.... Any thoughts or other recommendation? I want Good, Bad and Ugly opinions... I'm sure this group has Plenty of them!!! 😩

Thanks a bunch,

Paul
Posted By: Bigdogfla Re: Burris PEPR scope mount - 02/18/15
I also have a 4.5 x 14 x 50 in a 30mm tube option... Is the 18 power overkill?

Thanks,

Paul
Posted By: bea175 Re: Burris PEPR scope mount - 02/18/15
If you like that much scope on your AR then go for it
Posted By: smarquez Re: Burris PEPR scope mount - 02/18/15
The PEPR mount is heavy. It may not matter to you since your rifle is heavier than your basic M4gery with your 20" barrel and big ass scope. I have 2 sets of Nikon P223 2 piece mounts I like a lot. While not sold as lightweights they are way lighter than the PEPR.
I like the looks of the Aero Precision mount better. It's also much lighter.
Posted By: FAIR_CHASE Re: Burris PEPR scope mount - 02/18/15
Nothing wrong with the PEPR. While it is heavier than the Larue 104, it is also 1/2 the cost.

Scope choice is more personal. I am not a fan of the 50mm obj (due to size) until one gets above the 20x power range.

14x power will get you as far as the 18x.
Posted By: BamaCKC Re: Burris PEPR scope mount - 02/18/15
I have a PEPR quick detach and the 2 piece version.

I have the 2 piece on my 6.8 ar. It's a 20" barrel and used for deer, hogs, coyote's, etc.

The QD PEPR is used mainly for load development. It's easy to move around from rifle to rifle, depending on which one I'm working with.
Posted By: Yondering Re: Burris PEPR scope mount - 02/18/15
Originally Posted by smarquez
The PEPR mount is heavy.

That was my experience as well. I switched to the Leupold IMS mounts (have one piece and two piece) and am much happier.
I have the PEPR on my LR308. I like it, weight isn’t an issue as the rifle is heavy as hell already. The hight is about right and it has held zero and returned to zero very well.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: carlm Re: Burris PEPR scope mount - 02/19/15
Me? I prefer LaRue mounts.
Posted By: Bigdogfla Re: Burris PEPR scope mount - 02/19/15
Thanks Guys... I appreciate the input!!!
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Burris PEPR scope mount - 02/20/15
PEPR mount has worked well for me. I started with the Burris mount back in 2009.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: BarryC Re: Burris PEPR scope mount - 02/20/15
It seems to be a nice mount, but it's not very versatile re: scope height, ring placement.

I'd get a extended rail and the rings of your choice in the proper height for your scope & face.
I'll let you know Monday or Tuesday, how good the Chinese knock off mounts are.
Bought 2, yesterday.
30mm rings with the reducers to 1" and extra ring tops.
Not really trusting them for quality, so didn't go quick detach levers.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Burris PEPR scope mount - 02/24/15
I've got a PEPR on one of my AR's. Works great. Heavier than a LT104, but rock solid.

Trick is to seat it properly when sighting in. After that, you're golden.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Burris PEPR scope mount - 02/24/15
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
PEPR mount has worked well for me. I started with the Burris mount back in 2009.
[Linked Image]

Sam, what's that you're carrying in the crossdraw?
I've been using a PEPR for a few years. No complaints. This one is holding a Vortex Viper 3-9x40.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Burris PEPR scope mount - 02/27/15
Originally Posted by local_dirt

That is a stainless Ruger Blackhawk, .45 Colt. My constant woods companion.
Posted By: jimmyp Re: Burris PEPR scope mount - 02/27/15
Originally Posted by wareagle700
I like the looks of the Aero Precision mount better. It's also much lighter.

I got one of those as well, great mount but see some evidence of not 100% return to zero when off and on. Its a great great light mount however. I have a 1-6 VX6 mounted in it. Two of my best latest decisions/purchases.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Burris PEPR scope mount - 02/28/15
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Originally Posted by local_dirt

That is a stainless Ruger Blackhawk, .45 Colt. My constant woods companion.

Sam, likin' that config, up out of the way weak side, floating. Don't see a 2nd cross strap like a tanker rig. Just reach across, unsnap..

If you don't mind, who did the leather work? Don't see many rigs like that. Crusty old fart hick buddy around Weekee Wachee/Crystal River/Hernando may need one, too. Phugger.

Best Wishes,
LD
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Burris PEPR scope mount - 02/28/15
I designed the rig, and the leather was made local, by a fellow that has sadly departed. I am sure any competent leather guy could duplicate it. Full flap and high carry because I used to spend a lot of time wading in swamps after hogs. It has a retention strap that attaches to my belt that I can add, but I have rarely used it.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Burris PEPR scope mount - 03/01/15
Thanks, Sam. I've been looking at tanker rigs, but I like that design better.
I'm gonna check around and see who can get me into something like that. I really like that it's up and out of the way of your belt, so you can carry other stuff down there, like extra ammo and what not. Also like that big flap and snap retainer.

I'm not a huge fan of most cross draw holsters because I feel like I'm turning or twisting to retrieve the weapon. Plus, I usually end up pulling them slightly around front, but then they get in the way when you're moving around in cover.

Nice choice on the cannon inside, too, by the way.
Diamond D leather and 7x leather make a fairly similar rig. Diamond D is quicker to get.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Burris PEPR scope mount - 03/01/15
Thanks, Mallard. Will check that out.
Posted By: Oklahoma Re: Burris PEPR scope mount - 03/02/15
Originally Posted by MallardAddict
Diamond D leather and 7x leather make a fairly similar rig. Diamond D is quicker to get.

I use the Diamond D chest rig with a S&W 29-2 and I like it very much. I usually slide it to the side just a little.
© 24hourcampfire