Home
I currently own a Stag 3 . Looking to get another AR .... which cartridge ? or just stay with 5.56 maybe a Wylde chambered?
What say you???
Mailmanmark. The 5.56 is where you should stay. 1/7 but barrel depends on application if stainless heavy or chrome.
What are you going to do with it?

SHTF, stay with the same caliber. If you need something bigger to legally hunt, that's different.
more or less for Islamic Zombies or something to that affect smile ...... Wylde chambered or no???
556 is all you need.

The only other AR Calibers I have is a .300 Black Out for supresed hog hunting, and a .30 AR Remington for doe culling at the Ranch and bigger hogs. It shoots a 125 gr bullet same velocity as a 308 shoots a 150 gr bullet. But I could live with only the .556 for everything, if that's all I had. It's been working well on hogs on doe culling for several years.
Originally Posted by mailmanmark
more or less for Islamic Zombies or something to that affect smile ...... Wylde chambered or no???

I like the Wylde chamber. I go with it when I can.
The 30AR looks interesting and I've always wanted to try the 6.8 SPC as well but doubt I'll ever pull the trigger as that's just one more type of ammo to stock and that's $$ I could use somewhere else. It sure would be nice to hunt with one of the new options though!
I spent all day hauling around a 6.5 Creedmoor that was expensive to shoot, had mags that didn't fit in my pocket and was as way too heavy. It didn't do a single thing that my 18" 5.56 couldn't have done and it cured me of wanting anything bigger in a gas gun.
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
I spent all day hauling around a 6.5 Creedmoor that was expensive to shoot, had mags that didn't fit in my pocket and was as way too heavy. It didn't do a single thing that my 18" 5.56 couldn't have done and it cured me of wanting anything bigger in a gas gun.

Pretty sage advice right there!
you have a stag 3 gun type rifle?? Maybe get a heavier barreled 5.56 and put a nice scope on it.
I have several....almost too many AR rifles

Every single one is a 5.56 except one.....22LR
I figure I should have a rifle in every caliber that I'm likely to scrounge up. Don't want to get caught having only rifles in a caliber that has dried up, like .223 did there for a while.

I've been drooling over a 6.8 myself. Best rethink that, sounds like. I've got enough 5.56 ammo to arm most of the neighborhood, and several launching tubes. smile
Originally Posted by local_dirt

I've been drooling over a 6.8 myself. Best rethink that, sounds like. I've got enough 5.56 ammo to arm most of the neighborhood, and several launching tubes. smile

6.8 is a small frame. Same weight as your 5.56. 6.5 Creed is a large frame, AR-10. Big difference. Go 6.8 and you won't regret it.
I had a 308 in an AR-10 and quickly lost interest in it. All of mine are 5.56/223 now. Brass is cheap, performance is acceptable, chasing odd caliber brass is not fun. It's easier to stockpile 1 caliber than multiple calibers. Buy enough ammo now while it's available and there will be no shortage. Just spend the gun money on ammo.

But if you just want something different, my cousin sees things differently than I do. He has or had one in 17 Rem, 204 Ruger, 223, 223AI, 22 DTI, 223 WSSM, 25 WSSM and 22lr. Of these the 223AI is his favorite, the 17 is his bobcat gun, everything else is gone or fixing to be.

I know he is gonna sell his 22 DTI barrel or upper if that interests you.
I want to be able to shoot a bunch without needing a midget with a butterfly net to collect brass.

That's a 223/5.56
I like the 6.8 I built, its a fun gun, shoots ok, kills chit, and lots of loaded ammo at Academy sports. IIRC it is in the 250 savage power range. The BO is better if your going to get a suppressor. The Ruger 308 is again mostly a gun safe gun these days, I hunt with the 223 or the 6.8, maybe I should sell it...
I do like that one you built.
I have 556 223 204 6.8spcll 22lr all in AR platforms they are all great but would not sell any of them and I love my 6.8 also.
certainly nothing wrong with having several 556 rifles, but after these guys build up some steam they can be hard to bring down. i'm shooting a 308, but i think i would kill just as many with the 6.5. the 556???... i doubt it.

[Linked Image]
300 blackout
if suppressed is where you are going, for real good choice, for hunting I got to think based on a sample of two that the 6.8SPC2 is a better choice supersonic, the BO is no slouch however.

OK peeps ..... Looking at 16" 300Blk for $318 or a 16" 1:7 Chromoly for $475 .... What do you think?

Are those prices about right???

Thanks.
I'm looking at black car for $3000 and a red car for $3850. Which one?
Originally Posted by mailmanmark
OK peeps ..... Looking at 16" 300Blk for $318 or a 16" 1:7 Chromoly for $475 .... What do you think?

Are those prices about right???

Thanks.

Those better be complete uppers with good name brand handguards for that price. I hope the $475 upper includes a good BCG too.
yondering..... they do ... leaning more towards the 300BLK
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I want to be able to shoot a bunch without needing a midget with a butterfly net to collect brass.

That's a 223/5.56

FWIW if its cheap ammo you refer to got it. If chasing brass is a PITA, keep snipping half a coil off your ejector until you get it tossing it in front of you a few feet in a pile that if you sat you cap down upside down it would all land the same place.. makes a HUGE difference in finding the brass easier.

I would not do this to a self defense gun though..

Although in a couple hundred thousand rounds of shooting ARs so tuned I never had an ejection issue ever.
Have you looked at the PTR 32. It's a 7.62x39 that uses AK mags. Cheap to shoot.
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by Steelhead

That's a 223/5.56

FWIW if its cheap ammo you refer to got it. If chasing brass is a PITA, keep snipping half a coil off your ejector until you get it tossing it in front of you a few feet in a pile that if you sat you cap down upside down it would all land the same place.. makes a HUGE difference in finding the brass easier.

I would not do this to a self defense gun though..

Although in a couple hundred thousand rounds of shooting ARs so tuned I never had an ejection issue ever.

Doesn't help at all when you get off the bench and out in the field. Digging around in knee high grass looking for oddball brass for my cousin when we should be hunting broke me of wanting anything but 223/5.56.
It damn sure does help to tune it, instead of having brass 20 feet away in a 10 foot area, I know exactly where to look for my 50 beowulf or 6/6.8 when using them.

No it doesn't help with the grass but it damn sure helps narrow the area down a LOT.

Especically for me cause I won't leave 223 brass laying either....

Now I wont go nuts looking but I sure have good luck knowing which direction to look for a minute or so. I suspect I find about 75% of the brass that way pretty easy and quick.
It damn sure doesn't.

Good lord, my POS Colts throw brass at 4:00 all in a pile 7' away from me. Problem is when several coyotes come running in, you don't always remember where exactly each one was standing or how your gun was pointed.

And Gravity is the same 7' away as 2' away, they have a way of sinking in the grass.
My favorite AR is my 7.62 x 39 more punch easier to see the holes
cheap to shoot

Hank
6.8,6.5 grendel,7.62x39
© 24hourcampfire