Home
Posted By: ChuckKY DPMS Sportical AR-10 - 04/15/16
I've been thinking of getting an AR-10 before November of this year, just in case they get difficult to purchase after the election.I'm voting for who ever is running against Hillary, just planning on covering my bases. I see Academy has the DPMS for sale for $769. It is basic model, 16" barrel, no forward assist or dust-cover. I like idea of both, but have never used either on any of my AR-15s. I know it will come with a standard 8# trigger, which I assume I can install a small pin Geissele trigger in. Any input on these rifles from the more knowledgeable folks here. Never owned an AR-10 or DPMS rifle before. I know AR-10s aren't so much Mil-Spec as AR-15s and can be very ammo sensitive due to pressure curves and spikes in the ammo compared to the AR-15, but I actually know very little else, or maybe really nothing at all about them. I've owned a Bushmaster AR-15 for years and just bought a Ruger AR556 and am very used to cleaning and lubing them, assume the AR-10 would be very similar? Thanks for any friendly advice, Chuck
Posted By: timbo762 Re: DPMS Sportical AR-10 - 04/15/16
I've never had anything made by DPMS, but they have been around awhile and their products seem to be of good quality. My "AR" style .308 is a SIG 716 Patrol, and I like it very much. That said, I don't see how you can go too far wrong with a $769.00 AR .308 from a well known manufacturer. If don't you like it, you'll be able to easily sell it without loosing a lot of money. And if things go wrong after the election, you'll be able to double your money when "the panic" sets in. Hillary is already talking "gun control" in her primary adds.
I would get one soon....I predict after the Democratic convention is over and Hitlery starts preaching Gun Control....The AR stuff will dry up quick....
Posted By: jimmyp Re: DPMS Sportical AR-10 - 04/16/16
I know nothing about the sportical, DJones kills a lot of pigs with his DPMS Baconator and he is happy with it, I think of the Gen2 now and then and wished they had got it right. Do yourself a favor and spring for a SW MP10 over the DPMS. Once and done rather than buy and regret at least then you get a nitrided barrel and pretty consistent quality.
Posted By: Slider1 Re: DPMS Sportical AR-10 - 04/16/16
Look at a Mill Spec rifle.
Posted By: TWR Re: DPMS Sportical AR-10 - 04/17/16
There is no mil spec AR-10.

There is Armalite, dpms and LMT patterns (maybe a few more) so you have to choose which version you want and stick with it. Nothing interchanges as there is no set standard.
© 24hourcampfire