Home
Posted By: Ranchhand02 Muzzle Brake Question. - 05/12/16
I am currently building an LR-308 in 6.5 creedmoor, and I am needing to order a muzzle brake for it. I am looking at this one on gunborker, but it is made for a .308. Will it effect accuracy or anything else by using this brake on a 6.5 creedmoor rifle?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=555916028
Posted By: wareagle700 Re: Muzzle Brake Question. - 05/12/16
A .308 caliber brake is common on 6mm, 6.5's and 7mm cartridges. You can get caliber specific brakes if you prefer though. I don't know anything about the brake in your link but I do know cheap muzzle devices can have a negative affect on accuracy. I would stick to name brand parts if you can help it. If you are on a tight budget, I would get a thread protector until you could swing a quality brake.

I highly recommend you look at these. You can get them in the caliber you want and they don't require a gunsmith or shims to time them. Very user friendly and great performance.

https://www.americanprecisionarms.com/products-page/muzzlebrakes/gen-ii-little-bastard/

If you are interested, I have a Badger Micro FTE that I will make you a good deal on.
Posted By: Reba Re: Muzzle Brake Question. - 05/12/16
The closer the hole through the center of the Brake is to the diameter of the bullet the more effective the Brake.

The problem being, how close the Brake threads on the barrel to the center of the bore is and how concentric the Brake is.

A good fitting Brake works well. A Brake that does not fit well is often called a Loudener. (LOUD-EN-ER)
Posted By: jimmyp Re: Muzzle Brake Question. - 05/12/16
Originally Posted by Reba
The closer the hole through the center of the Brake is to the diameter of the bullet the more effective the Brake.

The problem being, how close the Brake threads on the barrel to the center of the bore is and how concentric the Brake is.

A good fitting Brake works well. A Brake that does not fit well is often called a Loudener. (LOUD-EN-ER)

I was surprised how painfully loud a brake was on a 6.8 even with ear pro.
Posted By: wareagle700 Re: Muzzle Brake Question. - 05/12/16
That's odd. All of my brakes are surprisingly quiet even without ear pro. grin
Posted By: rost495 Re: Muzzle Brake Question. - 05/12/16
I don't know why you would need one really, there isn't going to be much recoil.

That said if going with one I'd be really happy with a can to do double duty.

We used solid bottom A2 flash hiders in our rapid fire ARs for NTIT, and if legal would have used brakes too, simply to speed up the next shot by less recoil and less muzzle rise, but for just recoil in 223 or even in 308 they were never needed for "body" abuse issues.

And if not that, since you are using it for recoil issues, I'd get caliber specific rather than do it half azz

I've been pleased with Vais for customers guns over the years.
Posted By: jimmyp Re: Muzzle Brake Question. - 05/12/16
Your brakes all require a tax stamp!
Posted By: rost495 Re: Muzzle Brake Question. - 05/12/16
Originally Posted by jimmyp
Your brakes all require a tax stamp!

Yep, and to a point, they are mostly worth it for sure.

Though there should be no stamp... thats ridiculous of .gov.
Posted By: Yondering Re: Muzzle Brake Question. - 05/12/16
I built a brake for my Creedmoor, out of curiosity (it's a RAR, not an AR). For some reason it seems a lot louder on the Creed than the same brake on a 308, but that could be just perception. It had almost no recoil, I could probably fire it with the buttstock against my face comfortably, but it hurt my ears even with good earmuffs.
Posted By: Ranchhand02 Re: Muzzle Brake Question. - 05/12/16
I am wanting something other than just a thread protector for the barrel. Is there something else you would recommend besides a muzzle break?
Posted By: TWR Re: Muzzle Brake Question. - 05/13/16
A flash hider like the Vortex or even an A2.
© 24hourcampfire