Home
Posted By: deerstalker melinite - 05/12/16
anybody have any time with a treated barrel/bcg? just bought one from a kid and am wondering what to expect. seems accurate and cleans easy.
velocities are the same from one ar to another with the same ammo so that isn't affected.
Posted By: jimmyp Re: melinite - 05/13/16
does the chamber look bright? Some manufactures talk about the treatment and say it prevents corrosion and then some polish the chamber so that it looks like bare steel. I guess it works ok, it takes a chrome barrel about 1000 rounds to iron the wrinkles out of it and start shooting a bit better.
Posted By: deerstalker Re: melinite - 05/13/16
chamber, bore and BCG all as black as hitlerlly's heart.
shows no brass rub like the ejection bump does. ran 30 rounds through it and swabbed it with a patch with butches bore bright (SP) and the next patch was clean. think that works for me as i detest cleaning a AR. must be a hold over from the 60's. i think i can get this setup clean with a few squirts of brakecleen or such.Nirvana!
Posted By: RickyD Re: melinite - 05/14/16
If it shot well, I'd thank the Lord and call it a day.
Posted By: constructor Re: melinite - 05/14/16
Originally Posted by deerstalker
anybody have any time with a treated barrel/bcg? just bought one from a kid and am wondering what to expect. seems accurate and cleans easy.
velocities are the same from one ar to another with the same ammo so that isn't affected.

If the quality of the barrels are the same a Melonite treated barrel is usually more accurate than a chrome lined and last longer than stainless. They are normally around 60c(case hard) hardness where a stainless is around 30.
Posted By: deerstalker Re: melinite - 05/14/16
Originally Posted by RickyD
If it shot well, I'd thank the Lord and call it a day.

thanking the Lord and calling it a day!
fifty rounds spent and 42 squirrels gone.
Posted By: HawkI Re: melinite - 05/14/16
A new PTG reamer has had difficulty even marking it....
© 24hourcampfire