Home
Posted By: Dooger Forgive me...6920 - 01/17/17
I'm a bolt action guy looking at getting my first AR. Thinking about a 6920, maybe the Magpul edition.

Question: Can the front sight be removed without a hacksaw? Would you just need a different gas block? Is the sight pinned? If you put a lower power scope on the gun with the sight still on, can it be see through the scope or would it really depend on how high the mount was?

Thanks in advance and forgive me...

Posted By: ChuckKY Re: Forgive me...6920 - 01/17/17
You'll be surprised how little the front sight shows up thru the scope. Won't notice until turned down to lowest power, and than its no big deal. Wondered the same thing when I bought an AR with the front sight. I don't think it will bother you at all.
Posted By: cumminscowboy Re: Forgive me...6920 - 01/17/17
sounds to me like you want a totally different gun. the 6920 is a basic ar 15 that is overpriced IMO. its got the colt name on it and little else, comes with milspec parts etc. 10 years ago it may of had something. now days there are so many cheaper guns that offer more and are just as reliable. I would get a RRA. even though all I do are customs that are pieced together from the parts I select. I have a RRA carbine that IS NOT going anywhere nor will it be touched beyond new furniture etc. shoots just about everything you can feed it decent and to the same relative POI. a buddy ordered the same thing his gun sat unfired for a few years last fall we took it out and got it dialed in. same story shoots just as good.
Posted By: g5m Re: Forgive me...6920 - 01/17/17
There's nothing wrong with the 6920, but there are also other choices. You'll read about milspec parts and that's a good thing because at least they meet some specification for quality. There are really bad parts available, also. They seem to be less frequent nowadays.

The Ruger AR is good. It's cheaper. You've read about RRA. They have a good reputation. For a few dollars more than the Colt you can buy a Daniel Defense and they also are very good. Just check on some reviews as some companies have reputations for NOT standing behind their products.
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: Forgive me...6920 - 01/17/17
Look for a 6920 "OEM-2" model. It comes with a low profile gas block, and no furniture, so you can dress it up however you like.

auction:

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/614451650

(this auction is too high priced, you can find them cheaper)

This is mine, after adding the Troy rail and furniture...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Dooger Re: Forgive me...6920 - 01/17/17
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
sounds to me like you want a totally different gun. the 6920 is a basic ar 15 that is overpriced IMO. its got the colt name on it and little else, comes with milspec parts etc. 10 years ago it may of had something.

I hear ya, I really do. But it seems like a good deal for $800-$850. The M&P Sport II's and Ruger's I'm seeing are $600. May as well step up a bit for the money.
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
Look for a 6920 "OEM-2" model. It comes with a low profile gas block, and no furniture, so you can dress it up however you like.

auction:

[Linked Image]

Thanks Tex. I thought about possibly doing that too. Bud's has them for $718.
Posted By: BMT Re: Forgive me...6920 - 01/17/17
Agree on the 6920 OEM-2
Leaning that's way the more I look. I'd only need about $125 in furniture/mag. It'd help me get to know the system a bit too.

I like the CTR buttstock and would probably just get a MOE hand guard and enhanced trigger guard for now.

I emailed my FFL to see if he could get one for a decent price.

Thanks
Posted By: Nebraska Re: Forgive me...6920 - 01/17/17
I have a new 6920 OEM-2 if you're interested.....
Posted By: kellory Re: Forgive me...6920 - 01/17/17
Also, there are many different calibers possible in an AR. I just completed mine in a .450Bushmaster. Mine is scoped with no other sights at this time, but i expect to add fold down sights as well.
Posted By: Bluedreaux Re: Forgive me...6920 - 01/17/17
Yes it is pinned and you can remove it without a hacksaw by driving the pins out.

Cutting off the front sight and bayonet lug is easily done with a hacksaw and dremel. It's about a half hour job.
Posted By: covejeepsxj Re: Forgive me...6920 - 01/18/17
Originally Posted by Dooger

For that price that must be the Colt Expanse model. That's a little different animal.
Posted By: AH64guy Re: Forgive me...6920 - 01/18/17
Originally Posted by covejeepsxj
Originally Posted by Dooger

For that price that must be the Colt Expanse model. That's a little different animal.

No - Bud's has had the OEM-2 priced as low as $685 on clearance, it's the correct rifle he's looking for.

Several vendors at the last large gun show had the OEMs for under $800 on the table.

With Shot Show going on, the bigger vendors are usually freeing up cash from inventory for the new models at are released for pre-order/orders at the show. It's a good time for deals, I've seen several vendors with Ruger Americans in standard calibers at $249-$270.

Posted By: deflave Re: Forgive me...6920 - 01/18/17
At those prices an OEM-2 is a no brainer. I wouldn't even look at anything else.

And if you decide you don't like AR's, the Colt will sting the least if you sell it.

Dave
My apologies! I am headed off to find them now! If I can find them I will wish I left my CC at home!
Cove - "Had" is the key word here, they are sold out at Bud's.
Originally Posted by AH64guy
Cove - "Had" is the key word here, they are sold out at Bud's.

10-4! Well that saved my wallet another dent!
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
Yes it is pinned and you can remove it without a hacksaw by driving the pins out.

Cutting off the front sight and bayonet lug is easily done with a hacksaw and dremel. It's about a half hour job.

And that pretty much makes an OEM-1 into an OEM-2.
Posted By: 458 Lott Re: Forgive me...6920 - 01/18/17
With so many different configurations of AR's available, it makes no sense to buy one and modify it. Either buy one that is configured how you want it, or build it the way you want it. Swapping out parts is just pizzing money away.
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: Forgive me...6920 - 01/18/17
Yeah the Colt wound up being my lightweight house/truck gun. Think it weighs a little under 7 lbs, as shown, less scope and ammo. Mil-spec reliability smile
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Forgive me...6920 - 01/18/17
tex, Flave, AH64 are all dead on. At $718 or anywhere near, the 6920 OEM-2 is a no-brainer.

I picked up 3 full Magpul Kryptek Highlander 6920's for $740-750 when they hit their lowest price point I'd seen in the last 10-15 years.

If you watch for sales you can get a really nice quality floating rail system for ~ $150-160, like BCM, Geissele, Troy.

Other accessories, new and used, pop up cheap every now and then, too. Stocks, backup sights, triggers, etc. I picked up 3 Daniel Defense FVG's for $8/ea a little while back.
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: Forgive me...6920 - 01/18/17
FWIW I think Aero Precision and maybe some others are building an "OEM" style gun like that, where you provide your own furniture & rail.
Posted By: cumminscowboy Re: Forgive me...6920 - 01/18/17
buying a cheap AR 15 and doing some shooting is never a bad idea to see if you like it and to figure out what accessories you must have.
Posted By: Mackay_Sagebrush Re: Forgive me...6920 - 01/22/17
A 6920 is a gold standard, but don't forget the lighter 6720 (essentially same rifle, just with a skinny barrel).

It is rarely a mistake buying a Colt BTW.

Posted By: Dooger Re: Forgive me...6920 - 01/23/17
Originally Posted by Nebraska
I have a new 6920 OEM-2 if you're interested.....

Check you PM's, please.
Posted By: cal74 Re: Forgive me...6920 - 01/24/17
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal

auction:

[Linked Image]
What' optic is that?
Posted By: Dooger Re: Forgive me...6920 - 01/24/17
Tex,

It never sold. Crazy price...
© 24hourcampfire