Home
Posted By: jimmyp Why do you hunt with an AR-15? - 04/11/17
Just reading some of the posts on here makes me wonder what reasons people have for hunting with the guns? I started in 2011 with a Colt 6720 and a Kahles riflescope in a RRA scope mount. I killed a 10 PT with it and the 62 grain TSX and convinced myself that the 223 can kill big animals no differently than a 30-06. At first I used the guns as a novelty just to say it could be done and I had done it. The only draw back to the guns is that some are a it heavier than a comparable gun in bolt action. The other drawback that is my perception more than reality is that the bullet may be deflected a bit more by a trig that might not deflect a 165 as much. I built a 6.8 and while it is not a tack driver it's about a 2 MOA gun, but there is not a deer in the woods I cannot hit at the ranges I hunt at. I hunt with this gun and a Kimberly Montana in 308 and a Kimberly select classic in 257 bob. Why do I carry the 6.8 over the lighter and more powerful 308? Mostly due to hunting conditions. If it might involve running into a "flock" of hogs, a shot where I am dealing with close range but area where deer run between brush openings, or sometimes just because I want to.
Posted By: TWR Re: Why do you hunt with an AR-15? - 04/11/17
I started back in the 80's with a mini 14 and mostly hunted coyote. It wasn't long until I realized the AR was more accurate but I didn't like the ergo's. Along came my first brush with a carbine and I had to have one.

I've gotten so used to the ergo's now that as I stated in the other thread, a bolt gun doesn't feel right, especially on sticks. We can hunt deer here as well with the 223 and it works just fine.

I just like them and having a quick follow up shot is a bonus. An adjustable stock made it easy to teach my daughter's to shoot. They take the weather good. And probably just to make a certain class of people mad. What's not to like?
i like the novelty of it. the second shot available instantly is nice too.

Ed
Because I have the freedom to make a choice.
Originally Posted by AH64guy
Because I have the freedom to make a choice.

Sums it up in a nutshell.
I probably never would have until we started shooting competitively with them.

They just FIT great after all those years.

I"ve found them to be great for follow up shots too, I"ve found exactly one set of pigs that I made that work on, 3 in teh sendero, 3 dead before they got away.

Other than that I"ve never fired more than one round out of them at game at a time.

Great to have the freedom to choose too.

Lately I"ve gone away from them as we move to suppressors at teh deer lease, the suppressor part works, but the action noise is there, and its just more fun to not disturb the place any more than one has to.

FWIW one of my longest deer kills has been with one with irons, 223, 75 amax, 556 or 565 yards, I forget which...
I just love the looks and accuracy of the AR Rifle
Because I want to.

The fact that it frustrates the fudds and liberals is just a bonus.
Posted By: ccd Re: Why do you hunt with an AR-15? - 04/11/17
Ulner nerve damage in both arms. Much easier to control gun with pistol grip.
Fused right wrist. Pistol grip a necessity. Short lop 12-12.5". Adjustable stock works great no matter what clothing you are wearing. Quick follow up shots. Picatinny rail makes mounting optics & accessories easy.
the reasons I hunt with an AR 15 are many. up until about 10 years ago there simply wasn't the scope mounts and stocks that allowed me to feel comfortable using an AR so I didn't own one. Now days we have lots of scope mounts and stocks that make the gun seem like its no longer designed for someone the size of a midget.

I hunt mainly coyotes. I would not use the AR for big game deer hunting or larger. after 3 seasons of coyote hunting I think the Ar 15 is actually pretty low powered when it comes to putting down a coyotes. But I shoot an AR SOOO much better in the field than I do a traditional stocked rifle. everything just ends up dead. I attribute it to 2 things. the vertical grip applies less torque to the gun when squeezing the trigger. I find that I can hit alot better even standing off hand than I can with a bolt gun. the other is the 2 stage trigger. I can pull up the first stage while I am settling the gun on the target, then squeeze off the final amount when everything is lined up. The gun is just more steady on target than a bolt gun. I don't even think about the trigger anymore it just goes off when it needs to. no worrying about trigger control. its like my finger knows when everything looks right and the gun goes off. I simply don't miss coyotes I should hit anymore. before with bolt guns and single stage triggers no matter how ligtht I ran those at 28 oz there was still a struggle for me getting a perfect break on the trigger. in the field a good break on the trigger is the difference between hitting and missing. the 2 stage trigger just allows me to feel the trigger. I can't explain it. its simply automatic, I don't think about it.

the other is multiple shots of course. with a semi auto getting off quick shots 2 shoot multiple animals or to pick up one that is on the run.
The only thing I hunt with an AR is prairie dogs and coyotes

I love it in a dog town
Because shooting prairie dogs with an AR is the most fun you can have with your cloths one.
Another method, and I like methods!
Originally Posted by tedthorn
The only thing I hunt with an AR is prairie dogs and coyotes

I love it in a dog town

THIS^^^^^^^
It works.
I only use them for coyotes. I like them for accuracy and quick follow up shot.
They are a marvelous pig gun. If you catch a bunch of pigs, it's fun to shoot cshit out of them.
[Linked Image]

I killed these with an AR 10. Quick follow up shots.
Because I can if I want to.
I am liking my 6.8 over the Ruger SR762 just because of the weight. I have gotten 130's to shoot in the gun, so that is going to be my deer gun next year, with a 10 and a 15 round magazine holding 130 grain nosler flat base bullets it might stop a pig or two should they show up as they sometimes do.
Because of one word. AMERICA!!!
It's fun!!!!
My boys hunted with it when they were young because of the adjustable stock and low recoil. Fit them perfectly.

I use it when pig hunting. Love it when a group comes in. Fast followup shots and no loss of the target in the scope between shots makes for a lot of fun.
Just plain like them. Have AR style 12ga, AR 15 in 5.56, and LR 10 in 338 Federal as the 5.56 is not legal for big game here and the 338 Federal is a great brush buster and good for elk.
I built one that's just over 6 pounds, including scope.

All the youngsters like to hunt with it because it's as light as the pellet gun trainer we let em use.

I just single load it for em, never a need for a quick follow up, or do I want em to try. Also don't have to worry about magazine restrictions.

Adjustable stock and low recoil help also.

When the suppressor act passes, look out!
if i had one i'd want one that could
be utilized for hunting (should say
big game hunting- something bigger than
.22 bullet diameter)
Great accuracy, low recoil and fast follow-ups are a plus for varmints.....
why? Why not. Cartridge is more than adequate, the AR is more than accurate enough for hunting, and it's fun. Do we really NEED reasons?
My boys hunted with it when they were young because of the adjustable stock and low recoil. Fit them perfectly.

I have one I built for my 8yr old for this very reason. My bolt .243's still have a little too much recoil, but the 5.56 is a joy to shoot. I have a decent pile of 64gr bonded bullets to load up, which should be more than enough for some of the smaller does we see.
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
why? Why not. Cartridge is more than adequate, the AR is more than accurate enough for hunting, and it's fun. Do we really NEED reasons?

Everyone that has considered using them has reasons why they used them or did not or would or would not in the future.

Just cause!
I was a late-comer to the AR game. After four enlistments in the Army, I just didn't see the AR as a "hunting" gun. My M16 was my work rifle and after work, my friends and I would grab our "hunting rifles" and go hunting.
It wasn't until I got out and my sons got older that they caught they AR bug.
My oldest built a couple despite my misgivings- in my mind ARs were still army weapons. He finally talked me into going to the range with him. I even got a little nostalgic- and before you know it, I was hooked.
My initial interest was just building a couple with my boys. After a while I caught the bug- it's fun to shoot, ammo is cheap and you can buy more add-ons then you can for a Ruger 10-22.
I finally got my own Rock River and love it. It's been designated as my coyote killin' gun but this year I'm going to give 'er a run on deer.
Oh, and stickin' it in the eye of the anti second amendment folks figure in it too.
As I got into ARs a couple decades ago, I found I was shooting them more often than all other firearms combined. To me, the ergonomics are outstanding. I've shot a bunch of coyotes with them. Picked up a LaRue PreatAR in .308 and it's become the first rifle I reach for when hunting white tails from a box blind because ot he ergos, quick follow up shots and outstanding accuracy. I find it nearly perfect for shots in our destination plot out to 350yds. One huge additional motivator is our governor has made a practice of pontificating that "no one hunts deer with assault rifles." I think of him every time I head to the blind:). Would it be my first choice for long range hunting out west? No, that's what my Weatherbys are for. Is it my first choice in super thick cover from a treestand? No, this is where my Whelens shine.
Im gonna use mine with that 70 gr factory 5.56 barnes load this year for deer
Give it try at least.
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

Everyone that has considered using them has reasons why they used them or did not or would or would not in the future.

then why ask the question in the first place? Or ask any question here. laughing
© 24hourcampfire