Home
Opinons on them from people who use them. Dont wanna hear about other brands honestly.......
I have a Velocity trigger in my AR. I like it a lot. When ever I hear single stage triggers might not be the way to fly in an AR I run downstairs and dryfire it about 50 times. That always makes me feel just fine about the purchase. I believe mine is the 3.5#, I don't have a way of checking it but it doesn't scare me to think about using it in any situation. Probably 1100 rounds on it at this point.

I have not shot the Elf trigger.
Another Velocity trigger here. Put it in just to try it out and ended up liking it. It's the only single action pull I got and don't mind it a bit.
just curious why folks like the single action triggers in an ar? If the rifle slams to the ground by accident are they safe?
Depends on what ya buy, and if people have a habit of dropping weapons. Then i geuss it would be a concern to them. I dont havr that concern about dropping my weapon, i suppose if i was surrounded by a bunch of french army soldiers in a overwhelming fire fight then i would be concerned...as for single stage preference,faster reset,quicker follow up shots,faster target engagement ect ect... worked with 2 stage ar trigger for 24yrs, got a black rifle made recently and have done all the improvements you can to it got it smooth and down to around 4.5 to 5 pds.just want something better. Jmo...
Wonder if the design is such that it can be safe. I"d think a drop in unit single stage could be made to be lighter and safer.

As it is, 2 stage trophy trigger use has never been asking me to be faster still....

But its nice to have options, as long as they are safe.
The elf and wilson combat have half cock notches for people that drop their weapons. The wilson has polymer rubber feet insted of set screws to take up slack from installation. Pretty good review. Google truth about guns 15 drop in trigger reveiw for those of you that are curious. I have done my research actually spoke witj both owners, the velocity guy worked for timney for a long time. The elf owner had the timney owner visit him and tell him he was their #1 competitor in the market. Most of these guys seem to be in arizona.
Let me know if the safe ones are CRISP... like a great bolt gun trigger? That would finally be nice. I"ve tried Timney, it was ok but it was not crisp.
Read that truth about guns 15 drop in trigger reveiw, then call and speak with companies, mossberg actually makes the wilson combat trigger, surprising what can be found out when you start calling and just flat out asking them why should i buy your trigger over the other guys and bouncing it off your own research. Sometimes you find the truth and sometimes you get the humming and hawing response
Elf,velocity,nord. I shot a timney also overpriced,overrated....velocity is just as good per 15 trigger reveie and all other stuff i have looked at It tied in 4th place with 3 others to include the timney. And dude worked for timney long term. That reveiw also has a pretty good instrament reveiw of trigger cuvre chart from take up to break to overtravel to reset graphs .worth time looking at it and getting to understand the graph for each trigger.
The wilson combat is one i looked at and researched, but being made by mossberg and more than likely in mexico it is overpriced and im not paying 100 dollars extra for a wilson lasar etched emblem on it for something that they comtracted out to a different company to sell here in the u.s. just the principle of it.....
Originally Posted by renegade50
The wilson combat is one i looked at and researched, but being made by mossberg and more than likely in mexico it is overpriced and im not paying 100 dollars extra for a wilson lasar etched emblem on it for something that they comtracted out to a different company to sell here in the u.s. just the principle of it.....

But you're willing to spend the same amount for an Elf..................

Very good article; I've read it before but re-read it today & it's good & timely info as I'm considering a single stage for a current build that is more or less a play gun & a range gun.

What's missing though is a long term evaluation that focuses on performance after a few thousand rounds for both reliability, safety & maintaining consistently trigger pull characteristics.

I have 3 Geiselle's & 3 KAC triggers & I really don't think I'd consider anything but a 2-stage for a fighting gun, but that's just my preference. All of the 6 I have are fully more that adequate in all respects.

The single stage triggers I'm going to consider for the current need are the Elf, Wilson (mainly because of the half-cock) & one of the Rise triggers............Rise makes good products & are nice people to deal with.

There's just too many negative comments that I've seen floating around over the last couple of years for me to seriously give much consideration to Velocity regardless of where the owner came from.

YMMV & obviously does.

MM

Not everyone is as sure footed with weapons and has your skill level. I certainly have dropped a few guns, slings giving way for one reason or another.

I have seen home tuned triggers release when you bump the gun on the butt, have seen several smith revolver fail a push off test. So again I am not sure if single stage triggers are safe in an ar

I guess the half notch says it all.
Originally Posted by MontanaMan

Very good article; I've read it before but re-read it today & it's good & timely info as I'm considering a single stage for a current build that is more or less a play gun & a range gun.

What's missing though is a long term evaluation that focuses on performance after a few thousand rounds for both reliability, safety & maintaining consistently trigger pull characteristics.

I have 3 Geiselle's & 3 KAC triggers & I really don't think I'd consider anything but a 2-stage for a fighting gun, but that's just my preference. All of the 6 I have are fully more that adequate in all respects.

The single stage triggers I'm going to consider for the current need are the Elf, Wilson (mainly because of the half-cock) & one of the Rise triggers............Rise makes good products & are nice people to deal with.

There's just too many negative comments that I've seen floating around over the last couple of years for me to seriously give much consideration to Velocity regardless of where the owner came from.

YMMV & obviously does.

MM

Made in the u.s. about the elf
I have also seen alot of neg stuff about the velocity also from vids to forums. One dude on ar15 said his was a pos and he could never get it right after he adjusted it (not suppose too) a kid in a video was installing his and never put in the 2 locking cap screws on top of the receiver tension screws then complained about the trigger being loose and having wobble, alot of probs people also complain about is bump firing,which most of the time is its a user 1st time witj single stage and they aint used to fast reset . Then you got tons of vids and reveiws that love the trigger , i had a 3 gun shooter works in a gun shop here in clarksville tell me that the elf had the slowest reset time he ever felt, he shoots sponsered and uses a timney, i said that is the 1st time i ever heard that, was hearing the crickets momentarily after i spoke thou. Kinda a double edge sword , most likely im gonna get the velocity and see how it goes, worse comes to worse i will just get elf down the line
T
Originally Posted by jimmyp
Not everyone is as sure footed with weapons and has your skill level. I certainly have dropped a few guns, slings giving way for one reason or another.

I have seen home tuned triggers release when you bump the gun on the butt, have seen several smith revolver fail a push off test. So again I am not sure if single stage triggers are safe in an ar

I guess the half notch says it all.

Only 2 with the half notch the elf and the wilson added feature on those models. I am not trying to dig at ya jimmyp, sorry if ya took it that way honestly. I meed to be more careful in how i post and how it is seen by others.slings are fine in the rear,but on missions they cause problems ,learmed early on no matter how hard you harp on it their was always someone taking that extra few seconds to unfuk themselves and their sling to get some rounds down range in training or real world, better to carry at low comfortable ready or even a modified high travel carry with hand on pistol grip and buttstock resting on mag pouch. My joes used to bitch but they got the point about no slings on missions and realized it made sense to have weapon in hand and not slung. I totally agree witj what you say about people messing witj triggers and thinking they are doing great things and just plain ole fugging chit up,it happens alot. I got a ration of chit on here about polishing the sears on a mil.spec trigger, wasnt my 1st rodeo doing one, but yet people shuck out money to have a smith do the same thing, heard it all, wear thru metal harden ,mess up geometry , rolled over edges ect ect ect... lots of after market 2 stage mil spec out their advertised this that and the other, when basically all they are is upgraded metal (if that)and have been polished and buffed. I am gonna post up what i did to my mil spec to get it smooth and down to 4.5 to 5pds and let myself get hammered all over again . Even though it all is commonly done by "gunsmiths" daily

YMMV & obviously does.

MM

i had a 3 gun shooter works in a gun shop here in clarksville tell me that the elf had the slowest reset time he ever felt, he shoots sponsered and uses a timney, i said that is the 1st time i ever heard that, was hearing the crickets momentarily after i spoke thou.

The 3-gun shooter here that should chime in is Bluedreaux; he probably shoots more genuinely competitive stuff than all of the rest of us put together & has a pretty good handle on what works there.

MM
1. Disassemble trigger aftet you ensure wpn is fugging cleared. 2. Have wolfe or jp reduced disconnect spring and trigger spring kit on hand, keep your full strenght hammer spring for reliable primer strike,even thougj the hammer spring directly related to trigger pull force, dont risk using light after market hammer springs. 3 . Bob the spur on hammer , just an auto feature for interruption of firing cycle that has basically never been eliminated in civilian models cut slow with dremel wheel dont overheat and cause hardening to weaken,bobbing hammer will result in faster lock time and hit primer just as hard smooth and coat cutoff area if you choose too. . 4. Buy antirotation pins,(milspec pins that rotate cause drag) take 1000 and 1500 grit sand paper and remove the black coating on pins inner portion leave coating on portion of pins that sit in receiver holes, simple polish of pins to reduce drag. 5. Polish both sides of the lower half of disconnect that sits in slot of trigger with 1000 and 1500 , roll up sand paper and polish pin hole on disconect plate also (drag and gritty feeling elimination stuff here) do not mess at all with your disconnect hook.....
. 6 .polish your hammer pin the same way and polish out the middle slot in pin where the internal hammer spring sits in that groove (reduce drag) t. 7.polish with same grit the inside pin holes to remove coating in the pinhole on the hammer do one side then the other dont shove rolled up sand paper all the way thru cause you dont want to wear the internal groove spring that retains the pin in its middle slot (reduce drag) 8. Get hard arkansa stone or hard flat surfacefor use witj 1000 and 1500 grit examine your front engagement surface on your trigger where it mates into hammer notch, you are looking for milling marks polish on stone or with sandpaper on hard flat surface or a combo of stone and paperMAINTAIN GEOMETRY ANGLR you will feel the proper angle ,check oftenwhile polishong cause what you are looking for is the low spot shadowing of those milling marks to dissappear.once the low spots in the milling marks are gone YOU ARE DONE with trigger sear polishing ...fold up sand paper and polish out disconnect plate groove in trigger ussing back on forth motion (big drag and grit feel reduction) 9.very lightly polish the sear notch on hammer not alot that can be done here to reduce alot of drag. 10. Extra step for all polished parts if your extreme ocd like me buy a cloth polish wheel for your dremel and flitz liquid polish and polish all surfaces again , roll up printing paper and chuck it into dremel and coat with flitz and hit the pin holes in the disconnect,trigger and hammer, you can also at this time hit that hammer sear notch a little better with flitz and the cloth wheel.... blast everything with wd40 or whatever, oil everything reassemble . Your 7,8 almost 9 pd trigger is now a smooth 4.5 to 5 pd trigger ,that is perfectly safe and the same if not more than what most gunsmiths do. Keep your gun clean and parts oiled . I got slammed by people on here months ago when i said i did my own work . My answer is why in the [bleep] should i pay someone to do the same work i can and do a better more complete job myself and enjoy doing it all the while. Sure im gonna get hammered again either way.

YMMV & obviously does.

MM

i had a 3 gun shooter works in a gun shop here in clarksville tell me that the elf had the slowest reset time he ever felt, he shoots sponsered and uses a timney, i said that is the 1st time i ever heard that, was hearing the crickets momentarily after i spoke thou.

The 3-gun shooter here that should chime in is Bluedreaux; he probably shoots more genuinely competitive stuff than all of the rest of us put together & has a pretty good handle on what works there.

MM

Even though i have butted heads with him in the past. I would love to hear his advice for sure on good single stage triggers he has experience with for sure.
Im gonna pm him see if he will give some feed back
I've used a couple of single stage triggers. For the record, I prefer a single stage in a fighting or competition gun and a two stage in a precision gun. On close fast targets I can't tell a difference. But on intermediate targets (80ish-150ish) offhand a two stage trigger really messed with my timing. I'm sure I probably could've trained out of it, but after a good bit of trying I hadn't yet and a trigger swap cured what ailed me.

I currently have CMC triggers in my competition (3.5#) and work (4.5#) guns. The TTAG article with the graph shows what I've felt with them. They're not really great single stage triggers and others on the market are crisper with less creep. But they're a good trigger for what I use them for. And the company is very supportive of the shooting sports, they're local-ish and run by good folks. Most people (every "gun guy") that have used my CMC triggers have really liked them. However, if you're a genuine trigger snob you probably won't be happy with one after trying some of the other options available. Disclaimer--I'm affiliated with CMC. They've sent me some free triggers and they've paid match fees for me to represent them. But I think it's pretty obvious that I'm representing them accurately. I'd rather be associated with really good products from really good people than the perfect product from strangers.

Geissele Super 3Gun.... This isn't a true single stage trigger. It's a weird hybrid trigger that you either love or hate. It's really good for close fast shooting but leaves a LOT to be desired for any kind of precision work. If I were doing C Zone size targets inside of 100 yards I'd probably still have one.

Velocity.... In fairness I used a rebranded Velocity trigger, not the original, so take this with a grain of salt. And disclaimer, the trigger I have was also free. It's really crisp and the reset is really short and distinct. I really liked it, a lot. Then another shooter running the same rebranded trigger had his just stop working the day before a major match. The company who gave us the rebranded triggers is kinda sketchy and I got a bad taste in my mouth about the whole deal, just guilt by association I guess.
***Side note--When CMC heard about the broken trigger they put a message out on Facebook and asked someone to please go give him a trigger so he could shoot the match, then they'd replace yours for free. Like I said, good people.***

ELF.... I don't own an ELF, but if I were shopping for the best AR trigger available that's what I'd go buy. A coworker is sponsored by them and so I've messed with them quite a bit. They're crisp (crisper than the rebranded Velocity) and I tried really hard to find any creep in it and couldn't. Honestly, when I first messed with one the first thing I thought was, "I bet even Rost495 would like this." I wish I could get Jeff one so that he could give his feedback on it.

So that's my take. If you're gonna do any type of precision-ish shooting don't get the Geissele. CMC triggers are good triggers sold by good people and I've never heard of any reliability problems with them at all, but the graph that shows they have creep is true. You've gotta pull them very slowly to find it, but it's there. I wouldn't buy a Velocity based solely on the experience of one guy I know. That may not be fair, but it is what it is. The ELF is the best feeling trigger I've ever pulled in an AR. Is the ELF $100 better than the CMC? That's gonna depend on what you're doing with it. I think a lot of people would never see a difference in them. Is the ELF $100 better than the Velocity? If you're Velocity breaks the night before a match when you're four hours from home....Yes it is.
I tried an ar gold and had a cmc trigger for a while, I have no idea what the trigger weight was on the thing.. I guess I need to spend some money and try an elf trigger myself.
sounds like I still should google elf and drop some coin.....
Decision been made ..... gonna spring for the elf match with curved shoe . $259.99 dont need any what if issues in my mind about my wpn , plain and simple....
Thanks bluedreaux for your input , knowledge that i was looking for and you provided it.
When i spoke with the elf owner awhile back, i asked about 100% relable ignition with nato m855 ammo, he assured me of full strenght hammer spring and strong primer strike with all nato ammo (important issue for me)i have 664 rds of lc/fed 855 on hand, but also looking at getting some IMI 855 and fn herstal 855, lots of good deals to be had if ya shop smart.
If y'all order directly from Elf, tell them you heard about them through a friend of Nate Heinrichs (that's who turned me into them). That way they'll know he's representing them well.
Thanks for the comments & insights, Blue.

Much appreciated.

MM
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
If y'all order directly from Elf, tell them you heard about them through a friend of Nate Heinrichs (that's who turned me into them). That way they'll know he's representing them well.

Always good to have the skids greased with a name / referal both ways.
So do you want the match trigger for a SPR type rifle? I am thinking I would take the Ssa-E out of the noveske and put in one of these
renegade50, I was probably the one who you are thinking of when you talked of "polishing triggers". My apologies.

This is the internet and most people don't know how to polish a trigger and keep the trigger geometry the same. Most change the angle that takes out the built in creep that actually cocks the hammer a little more, making for a good feeling yet unsafe trigger. You seem to have it figured out. Most of the time, a spring kit or bent spring and 1000 rounds fired will get you a pretty good trigger. You just get there quicker.
Its all good man. Water gone by under the bridge ,i have done my part in aggravating chit more times than not with vague info, hard for me at times to detail chit without the english langauge nazis riding my arse either. Its good... if your hammer dont dip slightly on intial take up on trigger squeeze . You have altered trigger engagement geometry beyond repair (i.e.person prob filed and not polish at wrong angle) big diff between filing and polishing, the arkansas stone has a slight file effect but not much, the biggest thing is feeling that flat contact to contact angle when doing the work.
Got it, I'll ask you again later when I get a bit of money stashed... still having to buy antoher glock to compliment the stable etc...
© 24hourcampfire