Home
Posted By: TexasPhotog New rifle for the Army - 05/09/17
What do you guys think?

https://www.armytimes.com/articles/...e-the-armys-plan-to-ditch-the-m4-and-556
Posted By: viking Re: New rifle for the Army - 05/09/17
What is old is new again, I mean the 6.5.

I thought they where on a 6.8 kick a few years ago, what happened.
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: New rifle for the Army - 05/09/17
The 6 or 6.5 Creed would be an awesome choice.

MM
Posted By: renegade50 Re: New rifle for the Army - 05/09/17
.243 with 90 or 100 gr bullet , mag capacity same , weight diff on 210 rd basic load maybe 1pd total over 62 gr 5.56, not that the 5.56 is a anemic rd in under 250 meter game, but i always thought to myself a .243 would have been a much better rd. Jmo...
Posted By: hunting1 Re: New rifle for the Army - 05/10/17
The Grendal makes most sense so all the M4's could be overhauled.
Posted By: BMT Re: New rifle for the Army - 05/12/17
M27 will win
Posted By: Boogaloo Re: New rifle for the Army - 05/12/17
The HK is just a different set of problems.

I have every confidence that whatever the outcome, a bunch of folks will walk away with a wad of cash and they'll screw it up.

This ain't rocket science, but it never ends.

How many billions are they spending to accommodate trans-gender bathrooms, and in the end that won't be good enough either.

IThis is why I like nukes...
Posted By: Terminal223 Re: New rifle for the Army - 05/15/17
Originally Posted by hunting1
The Grendal makes most sense so all the M4's could be overhauled.

The Grendel is too slow to defeat armor. Even with a 20" barrel it is 200fps slow. If they dropped the bullet weight to around 100gr it may have the velocity but then it wouldn't have high BC bullets and that is the only reason to choose the Grendel.
The 260 Rem or Creedmoor will be a quick fix to retro fit existing 308s. Swap the barrel and ammo, same mags and web gear. By 2020 they say they will choose a new platform and cartridge that will replace both the 5.56 and 308 for combat troops. 5.56s will roll back to support personnel.
Posted By: jimmyp Re: New rifle for the Army - 05/17/17
The 264 USA with polymer case and 107 grain bullet. Don't know if it will be a DI rifle or not. I guess the 5.56 ammo will dry up over time, have no idea how practical polymer cases small arms munitions will be.

The RFP linked above specifies that the .264 USA be capable of producing 2,875 ft/s with a 107gr lead-cored Sierra HPBT from a 16.7″ barrel.
Looks to be more of an AR10 type cartridge to me.
Posted By: wareagle700 Re: New rifle for the Army - 05/17/17
Originally Posted by jimmyp

Looks to be more of an AR10 type cartridge to me.

They are going to make it even more complicated with a new platform. The .264 USA would fit a AR receiver thats bigger than the AR-15 but smaller than the AR-10.

I swear, I am just going to stick to 5.56 AR's and bolt actions until the AR-10 and different variants can make up their mind.
Posted By: rost495 Re: New rifle for the Army - 05/17/17
I think if you teach marksmanship, that most all troops are just fine with 5.56. I"ve not heard a real complaint from well trained troops, save for special situations and thats where even they tell you there is access to a few folks having specialized weapons....

Having shot game to almost 600 with the 5.56/223 in ARs, I've never really seen an issue that a small bump up would help. I have seen issues where a 308 or better yet a 300 mag or lapu or 50 would help...
© 24hourcampfire