Home
Posted By: boatboy 15 in handguard - 08/21/17
Can anyone direct me to a reasonable priced and good quality 15 in vanguard?
I would like a slim rail on top

Prefer key mod

I see the ones on supper sale 229 but now 59.99 pretty sure they are 59.99 rails

I really don't know what the good values are
Everyone's are the best
Just read the description

Hank

Or if a member has one collecting dust pm me
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: 15 in handguard - 08/21/17
Watch the sales on UTG rails on Primary Arms website.

They have some decent prices on them from time to time & they are very serviceable & economical rail. Primary will generally sale them at around $120 or sometime down to $80 or so if you catch it right.

A Midwest, BCM or SLR rails they are not, but you will not be paying what those rails cost & they are reasonably rigid & slim.

MM
Posted By: texas_hawg Re: 15 in handguard - 08/21/17
Chandler Hardwoods has a Matrix hand guard for $59. This is the handguard I'm buying for my next build. The Matix Charlie is Keymod and slim. Reviews I've read on the web have been pretty good.
Posted By: MallardAddict Re: 15 in handguard - 08/21/17
Joebobs has several on sale around $100-130
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: 15 in handguard - 08/21/17
This is a great subject. I wish I knew what kind of handguard Rogue Defense uses (I'm sure it is fairly inexpensive) because I like them as much as both of my Noveske NSR's (skinny rail). Here's a picture of the 15" Rogue Defense:

[Linked Image]

VS. the Noveske 15" NSR:
[Linked Image]

These are very similar in weight and feel. If I were looking for a good 15" handguard, I'd probably buy the less expensive Rogue Defense over the Noveske.....
Posted By: wareagle700 Re: 15 in handguard - 08/21/17
ALG is the best bang for the buck. You may have to go with MLOK though, no big deal.
Posted By: deerstalker Re: 15 in handguard - 08/21/17
mentium on ebay
Posted By: Bluedreaux Re: 15 in handguard - 08/21/17
Midwest Industries makes a slim keymod rail that seems pretty solid. It uses the stock barrel nut.

ALG is my favorite. They're not a slim, but aren't as big as the Aero Precision rails. And they're pretty bombproof. Very solid.

If you're willing to wait until Labor Day there will be a lot of stuff on sale. ALG has rails 45% off last month.
Posted By: supercrewd Re: 15 in handguard - 08/22/17
I have a Midwest Industries that is pretty slim and comfortable. Fire sales on most AR parts, you should be able to find something.
Posted By: TWR Re: 15 in handguard - 08/22/17
Troy has 25% off right now with code "summer" but they still aren't cheap.
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: 15 in handguard - 08/22/17
Originally Posted by supercrewd
I have a Midwest Industries that is pretty slim and comfortable. Fire sales on most AR parts, you should be able to find something.

Are you saying that Midwest's rails are being fire-saled somewhere???

If so post it up as I have yet to see them reduced by more than $10 or so as I need a new rail right now.

MM
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: 15 in handguard - 08/22/17
Have any of you guys tried the Chinese NSR clone? I know, buy American when you can, but those are about $50.00 on ebay.....
Posted By: supercrewd Re: 15 in handguard - 08/22/17
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Originally Posted by supercrewd

Are you saying that Midwest's rails are being fire-saled somewhere???

If so post it up as I have yet to see them reduced by more than $10 or so as I need a new rail right now.

MM

The two sentences were not connected. I would imagine those products that have demand still are regular priced. Keep checking...
Posted By: AH64guy Re: 15 in handguard - 08/22/17
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Have any of you guys tried the Chinese NSR clone? I know, buy American when you can, but those are about $50.00 on ebay.....

Yes, typically, they have a soft metal in the barrel nut, and the fit to the nut is looser than an NSR. I've install a couple on friends rifles, the nut was pretty easy to round the edges of the flats if you didn't take your time.

If you are really just going to and from the bench, it's probably OK, but I'd hesitate to go with one afield much.

Hank and BSA - watch the Equipment Exchange on AR-15.com, they generally have a bunch of decent parts rolling through the daily pages. I've found gems on there, when I couldn't find the comparable part else where.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: 15 in handguard - 08/23/17
AH64, thanks for the info. I appreciate that!!!
Posted By: boatboy Re: 15 in handguard - 08/23/17
Thanks for all the info

I was on the treadmill yesterday and thought about the fact that you can buy a handguard for XXX

But the way things are right now add about 27.00 and get a complete upper

Just almost have to watch for the right one

Just a thought

Hank
Posted By: midget Re: 15 in handguard - 08/24/17
New manufacturer jus came across my inbox. STNGR I haven't tried them, but they look like they might be my next choice for a build.
Posted By: Yondering Re: 15 in handguard - 08/24/17
Originally Posted by midget
New manufacturer jus came across my inbox. STNGR I haven't tried them, but they look like they might be my next choice for a build.

Those look good, thanks for the link.
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: 15 in handguard - 08/25/17
Yes, they look very good.

Thanks for posting............I've not seen these before, but at that price, surely worth trying. The don't list the OD dimension, but with a 1.25" ID, it has to be slim. I cannot tolerate a thick rail.

MM
Posted By: SMACK Re: 15 in handguard - 08/27/17
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

...And as stout as anything out there.👍👍 20" ARP 6.5 Grendel.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: 15 in handguard - 08/27/17
SMACK, that looks great.
© 24hourcampfire