Home
Posted By: xverminator Spec your battle rifle! - 09/02/17
Interested in what brands, features, configurations, and accessories you guys consider must haves in an AR if your life was on the line and you had to depend on your rifle everyday to survive?

In other words, spec your battle rifle!

X-VERMINATOR
I'm relatively new to this. My platform's an entry level P.S.A. Now that I know what I like and don't like about this gun,the next one will be a lot more defined.

My first need is to build up what I consider to be a decent supply of ammo and mags. Next step will be better optics on this gun. Third step will be a better trigger. I also want to set up a rig to carry mags on my chest.

The next gun will be a higher quality build. Good trigger, free floating hand guard, better BCG, charging handle and trigger group. I'm getting too old to be of much good in a SHTF scenario, but it doesn't mean I won't go down without doing my best to make life really miserable for the bad guys.
I only have a few ARs set up for different purposes. I have one in 6.8, 556 and 223 Wylde. I also have a MSAR Aug clone, an FNAR, two mini 14s. The one I would grab first is Sig my 516 with a SWFA SS 1-4 and a 1000 rounds of MK318 Mod-0. The only Mod to the 516 is an ALG ACT trigger.
Posted By: viking Re: Spec your battle rifle! - 09/02/17
Something with the prancing pony.
Verminator,

My serious guns all have either Chrome lined or stainless barrels, 158 carpenter MPI bolts, and a BCM mod 3/4 charging handles.

I like a low power Leopold variable scope, good light and backup irons.

For a general purpose muzzle device, Iike the BCM mod 0, or the A2 birdcage if I'm on a budget.

I like the Wylde chamber, but have some 5.56 as well.

Extra parts are a good thing. If it's a spring, or under spring pressure, at some point, you will loose it, so have extra's.
You guys like a single stage trigger on your battle rifles???
Posted By: passport Re: Spec your battle rifle! - 09/02/17
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
You guys like a single stage trigger on your battle rifles???

2 stage for me
Posted By: Bluedreaux Re: Spec your battle rifle! - 09/02/17
This.... https://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-12-5-Upper-Receiver-Group-p/bcm-urg-m4-12%20kd.htm

ALG FF hand guard
BCM Mod0 comp
VLTOR A5 buffer
B5 stock
Streamlight Rail Mount2 light
Magpul sling

Some sort of 1-4ish optic

Single stage trigger of some sort. One of the coated mil spec triggers.
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
This.... https://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-12-5-Upper-Receiver-Group-p/bcm-urg-m4-12%20kd.htm

ALG FF hand guard
BCM Mod0 comp
VLTOR A5 buffer
B5 stock
Streamlight Rail Mount2 light
Magpul sling

Some sort of 1-4ish optic

Single stage trigger of some sort. One of the coated mil spec triggers.

Blue, how would your "battle" rifle compare to your 3 gun rifle? I'm assuming the difference is going to be mostly in the barrel length?? I almost have my 3 gun rifle put together. It's one of my cheaper rifles, but it always goes bang. Well, my others always go bang too, but they have longer/longish heavier barrels......
Posted By: beretzs Re: Spec your battle rifle! - 09/02/17
I'm actually A-Ok with my Ruger AR556. An 8 twist barrel shoots the 62 grain Fusion bullets really well. I've got a 1.25x4 Leupold on it with the stock irons zeroed at 200. It functions well with HK and GI mags. Super simple to clean and pretty portable. It's not fancy but it feels like about all of the others I used over the years.
Posted By: Bluedreaux Re: Spec your battle rifle! - 09/02/17
Blue, how would your "battle" rifle compare to your 3 gun rifle? I'm assuming the difference is going to be mostly in the barrel length?? I almost have my 3 gun rifle put together. It's one of my cheaper rifles, but it always goes bang. Well, my others always go bang too, but they have longer/longish heavier barrels......

A fighting gun, for me, wouldn't have a brake, lightweight carrier, as light of a trigger, and would have a lighter weight barrel.

But there are sacrifices both ways to get a setup that's ideal for the use. You could do really well in either with a general purpose 14.5" gun.
[Linked Image]

Of my several I would choose this one. Northtech defense 14.5", bcm comp, but it now sports an illuminated 1-6 mark 6 scope
Colt A2, swapped barrel from the stock 20" to a 16" mid-length, A2 profile, 1/7. Added Magpul handguards and pistol grip.

[Linked Image]

I like the milspec trigger and original irons for a rifle that may be used, abused, exposed, neglected. It's not a match gun.
I ventured into the carbine recoil/buffer systems, and didn't feel like pissing around with a lot of buffers, springs, special extractor springs with o-rings and all that mess to keep them running smooth. i've gone back to rifle recoil systems. Had them in the spare parts box anyways.
This one is a little sexier. 14.7" FN 'machine gun steel' barrel. Mid-length gas system. It's not quite done. I have a Magpul MOE rifle buttstock, and Primary Arms prism sight in the pipeline.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Oregon45 Re: Spec your battle rifle! - 09/02/17
[Linked Image]

Ruger AR-556 lower
BCM upper with BCM bolt-carrier group. 16" light-weight barrel, 15" BCM KMR-A rail, BCM Gunfighter Mod 1 muzzle brake/flash-hider.
Geissele Airborne charging handle
Geissele SSA-E trigger
Geissele Maritime Bolt-catch
BCM Gunfighter grip and stock and foregrip.
Geissele Super Precision Scope Mount
Trijicon Accupower 1-4x (sold now, I'm looking for new optics).

Not pictured:

Blue Force Gear Vickers Tactical sling
Surefire Scout light with remote switch

Originally Posted by MallardAddict
[Linked Image]

Of my several I would choose this one. Northtech defense 14.5", bcm comp, but it now sports an illuminated 1-6 mark 6 scope

Awesome rifle there. As with all of the builds I've seen you post...
Sweet builds, guys...
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux

A fighting gun, for me, wouldn't have a brake, lightweight carrier, as light of a trigger, and would have a lighter weight barrel.

But there are sacrifices both ways to get a setup that's ideal for the use. You could do really well in either with a general purpose 14.5" gun.

Thanks blue..
Posted By: ar15a292f Re: Spec your battle rifle! - 09/02/17
My rifle is a Colt AR15A4 with a Geissele SSA-E trigger and AR15/M4 extended 34mm scope mount, Daniel Defense Omega rifle rail and vertical fore grip, Burris XTR II 2-10x42 scope, Matech BUIS, Harris HBRMS bipod, Viking Tactics padded sling and an ERGO rigid ambidextrous pistol grip.
Posted By: viking Re: Spec your battle rifle! - 09/02/17
I like the a4 too.
BCM 16" mid length. No boutique parts, just a simple setup with known quality components.

[Linked Image]BCM LW Middy by X Ring, on Flickr
Posted By: 79S Re: Spec your battle rifle! - 09/03/17
Originally Posted by wareagle700
BCM 16" mid length. No boutique parts, just a simple setup with known quality components.

[Linked Image]BCM LW Middy by X Ring, on Flickr

Nice carbine simple nothing to fail.
Posted By: kwg020 Re: Spec your battle rifle! - 09/03/17
I have it. 16" mid length with a detachable handle and government profile chrome lined barrel with a 2 stage trigger. It's an Armalite barrel with an Aero Precision upper and a DPMS lower with a Rock River 2 stage trigger. The bolt carrier is Aero with a Colt bolt. The furniture is Magpul. My back up is a 14.5" carbine.

kwg
Posted By: Vic_in_Va Re: Spec your battle rifle! - 09/03/17

Same here, a Daniel Defense DDM4 V7 LW, with an ALG trigger.

A set of Buis and a Sparc II on a QD mount.
Posted By: NVhntr Re: Spec your battle rifle! - 09/03/17
Here's mine, high end extras too numerous to list. Eat yer hearts out!

Attached picture 83a55b91bcafe41809a626d224d771fa--zombie-weapons-zombie-apocalypse.jpg
Posted By: deflave Re: Spec your battle rifle! - 09/03/17
Of what I own currently it would probably be my Smith and Wesson M&P 15 OR.

I put some MagPul furniture on it not too long ago as well as an H2 buffer. It also has a two-stage RRA and a killer paint job. Aimpoint micro is the optic.

I think I bought it in 2009. It has thousands of rounds through it (I'd guess less than 10K but @ or above 5K). Never gives me any problems at all. Stays in the truck constantly. A number of months back I decided to let it ride in the uncovered bed permanently to see how it did. If you leave the EPC open it will jam up more than if you don't. But the only thing that has ever been required to get it up and running is some more oil on the BCG. It has seen hundreds (that's being conservative) of miles on dirt roads and moderate amounts of rain, hail, and snow. It has been fired and killed schit in temps from -25 to +100.

Neither the optic or rifle have failed in any way other than the aforementioned need for lube when it dries out due to heat or dirt exposure. It sees range use weekly.

A typical day in the life of my now beloved M&P.

[Linked Image]

Has been a fun experiment.

Travis
Colts for me.

90s era Colt. I convinced the bride I needed a Patrol rifle for the upcoming Y2K. smile

This one wears a super lightweight midgas pencil barrel.
All colt guts, minus the Geissele trigger
Old School 4x ACOG with traditional ranging retical
and 45 degree mounted Burris Fastfire RDO

VTAC 2 Point sling

[Linked Image]

Colt 6920 base gun
Colt guts
Geissele trigger
White Oak Precision 16" Mid Gas 7 twist barrel turned down to a pencil profile.
set up to run 77 SMKs.
Clark carbon fiber forend
Old Colt Commando/CAR buttstock
4-12 Leupold in an Aero mount currently, though when the 2.5-8 gets back from Leupold repairs shop) I will stick it on the gun.
Wearing a titanium .30 caliber Gemtech Sandstorm suppressor.

VTAC 2 point sling

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Spec your battle rifle! - 09/03/17
Two I could count on. Spikes Tactical built years ago. Surefire light, Eotech sight, BUIS. The other is an older Bushmaster A2, ARMS mount on the handle, with a 1-4X 30mm scope. Basic rifles. Reliable and reasonably accurate.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: TWR Re: Spec your battle rifle! - 09/03/17
I don't know how to post pics anymore but any of mine would suffice, I don't buy low quality parts and all of mine get tested thoroughly.

That said, I would probably grab my Colt 6920 with Magpul slimline hand guards, B5 SOPMOD stock and a Geissele G2S trigger. I'm using a DD fixed rear sight and a Streamlight TLR1 HL light mounted in front of the FSB. Simple, light weight and 100% reliable. I ditched the T2 due to my astigmatism and it surprises me how well this thing shoots even at night. Also using a K2 grip and WOTG sling.
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: Spec your battle rifle! - 09/04/17
KAC SR-15 16" with a SuperChicken 1-4 Illuminated Reticle (have 2 actually)

or

BCM 16" upper on a built lower, with a Meprolight RDS red dot sight.

MM
Damn, I need a 16" battle ready weapon so I can play gi joe with you guys...
Some fine rifles here guys! Any reliability advantage for the piston driven guns? I'm with you guys one chrome lined barrels but what about chromed BCG's?

Also noticed that a lot of you are running low powered scopes or red dots without back up irons........I think irons along with a QD scope mount would be a must for me.

I've got a few AR's set up for hunting but I think it's time to build or buy a fighting rifle, so keep the posts coming!

X-VERMINATOR
Posted By: jimmyp Re: Spec your battle rifle! - 09/04/17
some how an old lw barreled old style DD V7 with a swfa 1-4, troy flip up sights, TLR 1 and one of those proctor WOG slings is kind of my favorite due to weight.
Posted By: deflave Re: Spec your battle rifle! - 09/04/17
Originally Posted by xverminator
Some fine rifles here guys! Any reliability advantage for the piston driven guns?
X-VERMINATOR

None that I've seen.

Dave
Well,
Mine was built on a Predator XT Stiller lower receiver. It has a Geissele trigger. The upper has a Shilen 8 twist ratchet barrel and was put together by John Holiger. At the present it has a 3X9 Zeiss scope. Shoots great with 77grn bullets. For the rest of the look of an off the shelf AR, I need to install a flash suppressor.
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: Spec your battle rifle! - 09/04/17

Also noticed that a lot of you are running low powered scopes or red dots without back up irons........I think irons along with a QD scope mount would be a must for me.

I didn't specifically say so, but mine have BUIS & the optics are quickly removed.

MM
Posted By: Oregon45 Re: Spec your battle rifle! - 09/04/17
Some fine rifles here guys! Any reliability advantage for the piston driven guns? I'm with you guys one chrome lined barrels but what about chromed BCG's?

I've got a few AR's set up for hunting but I think it's time to build or buy a fighting rifle, so keep the posts coming!

X-VERMINATOR

I didn't have them in my picture, but with a low powered variable I have a set of Bobro folding BUIS. When I have a red dot on the rifle, I have a set of Scalarworks fixed iron sights, set up to 1/3 co-witness with the dot.

Actually, you need at least two.

One gun equals 0, Two equals 1.

And really, you need at least on AR for everyone in the house, plus a spare.
Posted By: Glynn Re: Spec your battle rifle! - 09/04/17
One guys perspective, I know. Now I just keep my buis in my range bag or back pack, same as a back up bolt, spring kit, etc. My gun doesn't get worked all that hard anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NPbpNX406U

http://soldiersystems.net/2016/08/13/gunfighter-moment-frank-proctor-16/
Posted By: jimmyp Re: Spec your battle rifle! - 09/04/17
I have to ask myself why I need or want a red dot these days? I think an IR 1-4 is a good idea, or decent iron sights are a good idea by themselves and I am sure someone will tell me that they are 10.3456% faster and more accurate with a red dot. What did we ever do before they came along!!
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

Actually, you need at least two.

One gun equals 0, Two equals 1.

And really, you need at least on AR for everyone in the house, plus a spare.

Awesome buddy. I'm going to have my wife read your post.. Maybe she will listen to reason.... grin

The closest thing I have to a battle ready rifle is this one...:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
It's not like most of yours, but it would work good enough for my needs. I guess my other ar's would also work... blush
Originally Posted by Glynn
One guys perspective, I know. Now I just keep my buis in my range bag or back pack, same as a back up bolt, spring kit, etc. My gun doesn't get worked all that hard anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NPbpNX406U

http://soldiersystems.net/2016/08/13/gunfighter-moment-frank-proctor-16/

Frank is a good dude and extremely capable, and builds the best sling available... but I disagree heavily with him on this. Ironically one of the first busted Elcans that I saw was on his rifle...

BUIS aren't just for when optics go down (however if you are using an EoTech they should be mandatory), for me and my guys they are mainly there for when it says raining, or for when the optics have fogged or frozen over. We don't call it on account of rain therefore I need a way to aim.

As for the guns- it depends on what is being done. However I do not have "game guns" and "battle rifles". My competition rifles are my work guns and my work guns are my Comp rifles.

The general purpose gun- i.e. we call a "Recce"-

14.5" Colt M4A1 (now has a LARUE Stealth barrel)
DD RIS II rail
Surefire Brake/suppressor adaptor
Geissele Trigger
Vortex Razor 1-6x mil/mil
Pic rings and riser
Magpul Pro LR sights
B.E. Myers MAWL-DA
Surefire scout light
BCM Grip/Stock/CH
WOTG sling

[Linked Image]

Short "Recce"-

11.5"
Geissele 10" Rail
Geissele Trigger
1-8x mil/mil scope
NF Mount
Surefire Warcomp
B.E Myers MAWL-DA
Surefire Scout
BCM Grip/Stock/CH
WOTG sling

[Linked Image]

General purpose M4-

Colt M4A1 14.5" fixed sight
Surefire Warcomp
Troy Handguard
Geissele SSF Trigger
Trijicon VCOG 1-6x mil/mil
Magpul Pro LR rear sight
Peq-15
Surefire X300V
BCM Grip/Stock/CH
WOTG sling

[Linked Image]

They all are variations of a theme. At a minimum they will have-

- Extended free float handguard
- Geissele Trigger
- Surefire Suppressor adaptor, usually a brake or Warcomp
- Good irons (usually Magpul LR)
- Usually a 1-6/8x mil/mil scope
- Surefire Flashlight
- WOTG sling
Formidilosus, why did you censor the 1-8X Nightforce?
Posted By: jimmyp Re: Spec your battle rifle! - 09/05/17
I bet it ain't cheap
Posted By: Glynn Re: Spec your battle rifle! - 09/05/17
OK, so are the scope mounts QD or is the primary sight (mine is the swfa 1x4 til I can get a 1x6) just taken off when it's raining or failed with a hex? I think I have room for the LR's under the scope. Looks like they work on all the guns pictured. I have Frank's flashlight mount out there where I'd want the front sight but not a big deal.

Don't guess you could count on them being still dead on even if you had them set before removal like a good QD mount. If I'm taking the scope/mount off with a wrench I would have time to put buis on.

Funny I had read your comment earlier in the thread and then when I went to find the vid I saw Frank's pic with the Elcan, but the 1 X "something" explanation makes sense to me, just not "that" 1 X something.
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: Spec your battle rifle! - 09/05/17
Originally Posted by Formidilosus

The general purpose gun- i.e. we call a "Recce"-

14.5" Colt M4A1 (now has a LARUE Stealth barrel)
DD RIS II rail
Surefire Brake/suppressor adaptor
Geissele Trigger
Vortex Razor 1-6x mil/mil
Pic rings and riser
Magpul Pro LR sights
B.E. Myers MAWL-DA
Surefire scout light
BCM Grip/Stock/CH
WOTG sling

After all your very negative comments over time about Vortex scope, why are you using one?

Have you changed your mind?

Just got a good one?

MM
Posted By: TWR Re: Spec your battle rifle! - 09/05/17
I had a red dot quit me right before a match a couple of weeks ago. It helped that I knew the irons were zeroed on the pistol and I was able to shoot the match. It happens.

All of my potential defense rifles wear BUIS, the Northtech I posted has magpul pro's in the picture. My scope is in an ADM Defense qd mount
Originally Posted by Glynn
OK, so are the scope mounts QD or is the primary sight (mine is the swfa 1x4 til I can get a 1x6) just taken off when it's raining or failed with a hex? I think I have room for the LR's under the scope. Looks like they work on all the guns pictured. I have Frank's flashlight mount out there where I'd want the front sight but not a big deal.

Don't guess you could count on them being still dead on even if you had them set before removal like a good QD mount. If I'm taking the scope/mount off with a wrench I would have time to put.

No, most are not QD. Through a lot of use I have found that I prefer hard mounted optics. There are some good QD mounts such as the dual lever Bobro, but almost all POI shifts and loss of zero issues went away once I went back to hard mounting. All of the mounts can be taken off with a leatherman and/or screwdriver, knife, etc. They return to zero excellently.

Nah, you can't detach and reattach the irons. They're pretty low profile, and you shouldn't have an issue mounting an optic over them.

Originally Posted by MontanaMan

After all your very negative comments over time about Vortex scope, why are you using one?

Just got a good one?

MM

For one it's an issued optic. They're very good on 1x, have great illumination, and excellent FOV on 1x. However, one must understand that you can't buy that exact scope. That's the fourth (4th) one, all the others catastrophically failed within 3k rounds. If you go and buy a Razor 1-6x, it isn't the same scope.

Along with that, I use all kinds of optics. Most I wouldn't recommend for even play toys. However, part of my job is to test, evaluate, and know what's out there. If I'm saying that you do or do not want to use something, there's a reason. I am continuously using Vortex, Leupold, Swaro, etc, etc. However, when it comes to what I actually use outside of testing- I practice what I preach.
This is shaping up to be one of the most informative AR threads I have ever seen! Thanks to those that have participated and please keep it going....

X-VERMINATOR
I have held back from purchasing another 1-6 or 1-8 due to, what I assume is, few manufacturers being able to get it right for a reasonable price. At that point, another Aimpoint or Nightforce 2.5-10 makes sense and will get more use from me. The Bushnell SMRS didn't seem too bad, I just didn't care for Bushnell at the time. Seems like they have changed their warranty though since then.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Spec your battle rifle! - 09/05/17
My PSA 7 twist mid length multi with all magpul furniture wearing a 2.5-10x24 NF W/zero stop, a Burris FF 2 mounted 45 degrees off and magpul flip ups for last resort, the NP-1 lit reticle is really good for both eyes open shooting, the 30 round p mags are stuffed with 62 gr TSX's, as is an ultra reliable 100 round drum.
Formidilosus:

Got a couple of questions re: this

General purpose M4-

Surefire Warcomp
Troy Handguard
Geissele SSF Trigger
Magpul Pro LR rear sight
Peq-15
Surefire X300V
BCM Grip/Stock/CH
WOTG sling

What is the weight of the M4A1 by itself? (With the Geissele trigger obviously)

What is the weight after everything else on the list has been attached? Guesstimate is fine.

(Not making a point. Not going to make a point. Just curious.)
Originally Posted by ClearAirTurbulence
Formidilosus:

Got a couple of questions re: this

General purpose M4-

Surefire Warcomp
Troy Handguard
Geissele SSF Trigger
Magpul Pro LR rear sight
Peq-15
Surefire X300V
BCM Grip/Stock/CH
WOTG sling

What is the weight of the M4A1 by itself? (With the Geissele trigger obviously)

What is the weight after everything else on the list has been attached? Guesstimate is fine.

(Not making a point. Not going to make a point. Just curious.)

? Feel free to comment on anything you like.

Guessing bare rifle is 7-7.5lbs. All up probably 10-10.5lbs.
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: Spec your battle rifle! - 09/05/17

Just got a good one?

MM

For one it's an issued optic. They're very good on 1x, have great illumination, and excellent FOV on 1x. However, one must understand that you can't buy that exact scope. That's the fourth (4th) one, all the others catastrophically failed within 3k rounds. If you go and buy a Razor 1-6x, it isn't the same scope.

Along with that, I use all kinds of optics. Most I wouldn't recommend for even play toys. However, part of my job is to test, evaluate, and know what's out there. If I'm saying that you do or do not want to use something, there's a reason. I am continuously using Vortex, Leupold, Swaro, etc, etc. However, when it comes to what I actually use outside of testing- I practice what I preach.

OK, thanks man.

What 1-6x or 1-8x can you recommend? I've been using the SWFA 1-4x Mil-Quad for that niche, but I'd really like a little more magnification & stay under around 20 oz on weight.

MM

OK, thanks man.

What 1-6x or 1-8x can you recommend? I've been using the SWFA 1-4x Mil-Quad for that niche, but I'd really like a little more magnification & stay under around 20 oz on weight.

MM

Right now the 1-6x SWFA SS HD is about the best from a durability and reliability standpoint. The Trijicon VCOG 1-6x has done well for us, as well as the 1-8x Accupower. On both of those there is a disclaimer- the VCOG had issues when the Marines were testing them, though they seemed to have figured it out and fixed them, and the 1-8x Accupower I have only seen two (2) and both have limited round counts- less than a couple thousand apiece.

From an actual "it will work always" standpoint the SWFA SS 1-6x is unmatched so far.
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: Spec your battle rifle! - 09/06/17
Thank You.

MM
Posted By: DakotaDeer Re: Spec your battle rifle! - 09/06/17
Which Geissele trigger in a fighting gun?
MM,

No problem.

Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Which Geissele trigger in a fighting gun?

Well.. any of them. Depending on what you're using it for/skill level. The SSA is the commercial version of the Mil issued SSF. It's a great starting point. The SSA-E is the same but lighter pull weight- I prefer it, but I like light triggers, though for most probably ambit too light for dynamic shooting. The Super 3-Gun is good as well, but very different than the others. I have one of them with some spring combo that drops it to around 2lbs and it's one that I prefer.
Posted By: jimmyp Re: Spec your battle rifle! - 09/06/17
I have held back from purchasing another 1-6 or 1-8 due to, what I assume is, few manufacturers being able to get it right for a reasonable price. At that point, another Aimpoint or Nightforce 2.5-10 makes sense and will get more use from me. The Bushnell SMRS didn't seem too bad, I just didn't care for Bushnell at the time. Seems like they have changed their warranty though since then.

why not the swfa 1-6? or maybe the Bushnell 1-8.5 (don't know much about that one)
Originally Posted by jimmyp

why not the swfa 1-6? or maybe the Bushnell 1-8.5 (don't know much about that one)

Without daylight illumination, the reticle in the Bushnell 1-8.5x is almost unusable on 1x.
Posted By: EdM Re: Spec your battle rifle! - 09/06/17
It would be my 16" Colt HBAR II (no flash suppressor/brake) with its KAC rear sight and Leupold Euro 1.5-4x and German #4. The only mod is a PSA slicked up $30 trigger.

I think if I were to get anything id give the SWFA a try. Not crazy about the design but at least they seem to function properly.
Posted By: TWR Re: Spec your battle rifle! - 09/07/17
I suppose this one is still my favorite.
[Linked Image]
Noveske light weight barrel, Troy hand guard, G2S trigger, it now wears an SWFA 3-9 in an ADM mount, LMT SOPMOD stock, been 100% reliable and I could always remove the scope and flip up the irons and I do from time to time.
Posted By: jeffbird Re: Spec your battle rifle! - 09/07/17
FN SCAR 17

Change the trigger to Geissele two stage.

NF NXS F1 3.5-15x50.

Accuracy International sling

The other option is an Accuracy International AW with NF 5.5-22.

Both are reliable, accurate, plenty of punch, and easy to maintain.

The AI-AW is the ultimate in reliability and durability.

Posted By: Kenlguy Re: Spec your battle rifle! - 09/07/17
https://i.imgur.com/N1dS3RL.jpg

Haven't got the picture thing down yet but I hope the link works.

Magpul ACS stock
Rock River lower with Blackhawk safety and B.A.D. lever
Upper is a DTI 1/9 Nato chambered barrel with a Smith flash hider.
Sitting on top of it all is a C-More tactical red dot
Front sight is a GG&G gas block with a folding post.

The open sights are usable through the lens if I ever lose the red dot.

I've got other prettier ones but this one is the one I intend to grab if the S ever hits the Fan.
Posted By: DakotaDeer Re: Spec your battle rifle! - 09/08/17
Keep this one going. It's been informative.
Posted By: jimmyp Re: Spec your battle rifle! - 09/09/17
you know that 1-8 trijicon accupoint looks pretty cool. The reticle seems to be usable from 1x to 8x and daylight bright
Any advantages to a chrome BCG? How about Nickel Boron?

X-VERMINATOR
Posted By: TWR Re: Spec your battle rifle! - 09/09/17
Mil spec BCG's are chromed on the inside where it counts. Back in the beginning, they chromed the whole mess and found chrome embrittlement was a problem. In my opinion, the new coatings might make one clean up easier but they really don't need to be clean so it's a non issue to me. I don't think a new coating could hurt anything but the added cost isn't worth it to me.
Any advantages to a chrome BCG? How about Nickel Boron?

X-VERMINATOR

I really like my Nickel Boron BCG's. They are so easy to clean and they look good. Makes the rifle a little smoother functioning too. Some say black nitride is a better coating, but the nickel boron is supposed to be pretty dang tough stuff... We'll see after a few thousand rounds and a few years of use...
Posted By: GuyM Re: Spec your battle rifle! - 09/10/17
Originally Posted by beretzs
I'm actually A-Ok with my Ruger AR556. An 8 twist barrel shoots the 62 grain Fusion bullets really well. I've got a 1.25x4 Leupold on it with the stock irons zeroed at 200. It functions well with HK and GI mags. Super simple to clean and pretty portable. It's not fancy but it feels like about all of the others I used over the years.

Gee Scotty - you sound like someone who might have actually had to use one in battle...

Simple. Sturdy. Reliable. Reasonably accurate. That's all I ask.

Mine happens to be a Bushmaster, 16" barrel, telescoping buttstock. Flip up rear sight (Oh, BUIS in "the lingo") and a nice little 1.5-4x Leupold. Used it on patrol for a few years. Now it's a great coyote rifle, or just something to have in the Jeep. Just in case.

BTW, thanks for the rear sight!

Regards, Guy
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Spec your battle rifle! - 09/10/17
Plain Jane 6920 with a 4x32 ACOG, BCM ambi charging handle, and a WOTG sling.

Only had ~ 5 or 10k rds through it. smile
Posted By: jimmyp Re: Spec your battle rifle! - 09/12/17
I guess you use the 14.5 inch barreled M4 as that is what is issued? 16 inch barrels instead of 14.5 inch pinned brakes seem to be the civilian norm.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Spec your battle rifle! - 09/13/17
jimmy, if you're referring to me, not sure. Never measured them. Two I shoot regularly are LEO6920's from 2005-2006.
Posted By: jimmyp Re: Spec your battle rifle! - 09/13/17
No sir, just commenting the military with the M4 and 14.5 inch barrel. As someone who used to shoot 20 inch barreled 5.56 guns I know the 14.5's must be handier but you lose some effective range. I guess they are making up for that some with the M262.
No sir, just commenting the military with the M4 and 14.5 inch barrel. As someone who used to shoot 20 inch barreled 5.56 guns I know the 14.5's must be handier but you lose some effective range. I guess they are making up for that some with the M262.

While Greentip will kill people, in the realm of bullets it sucks. MK262 is a specialty round and very few get it. Additionally, again in the realm of bullets it's not all that great in tissue. The Army is using M855A1 which is significantly better in tissue than either of the above, yet wears guns out faster. USMC is using both M855A1 and 62gr SOST which is the best general combat ammo in the system.

Out of a 14.5" barrel M855A1 and 62gr SOST still upsets to 400m- which is Significantly farther than 99% of soldiers/Marines will consistently hit a realistic target.
Over many years, I have stocked up on several different types of 5.56 ammo. Black Hills MK262, LC M855A1, Privi M193, LC M193, LC SS109GT.

Do not have any LC MK318 62 Grain SOST..
Posted By: jimmyp Re: Spec your battle rifle! - 09/13/17
the 62 grain SOST seems expensive.
Yeah, at $.70/rd even in bulk, I'd say so.
Originally Posted by local_dirt
,LC M855A1

? You sure about that?
This is my Battle Rifle!!!!!

Black Rain Billet Lower

Vltor Mur forged Upper

Lantac Rail, super Strong

PWS Enhanced Bolt

Ballistic Advantage 5.56 1 in 7 16 Inch Barrel

ALG Combat Trigger

Kawa Valley 4.3 OZ buffer

Magpul Furn

Runs super smooth and will feed anything

[Linked Image]

Here is a Lightweight I built for the wife!!!!!!! wink I have it set up to hunt Yotes this fall...... grin

Mega Arms upper and Lower matched set

16' Faxon Lightweight Gunner Barrel Melonite

American Defense 13.5 Rail Mlok

CMC Drop In Trigger 3.5 Lbs

Oldin Works Bolt Carrier Group Melonite

Kawa Valley 4.3 Buffer

Fortis Charging Handle

A2 Armament Titanium gas Block

Rifle weight 5.2 Without optics

I would have no problem using this as a Battle Rifle....Slap on a set of Flip Ups and Red Dot and rock on

[Linked Image]

Posted By: Brian Re: Spec your battle rifle! - 09/14/17
ok ill play

John Wicks assault rifle

HK416 (10.4") upper
quality lower with A Gieselle trigger of some kind
Aimpoint T1 micro in lieu of the EOtech
Posted By: msinc Re: Spec your battle rifle! - 09/15/17
Mine's a Larue OBR. Had a Trijicon ACOG on it but the 3/8" total eye relief killed that....now she wears a Vortex Viper 1X4 {PST???} Also have a M4 with a Aimpoint M2 on it. For longer range work I have a Mega Billet side charge upper with a 26" WOA barrel and Magpul PRS. Rock River is the lower and it has the RR single stage trigger. I am happy to shoot any of the three.
Posted By: Glynn Re: Spec your battle rifle! - 09/16/17
What about stocks? I have fixed rifle stocks, the MOE and an A2, but am using a CTR at the moment. It has movement even when locked though that doesn't seem to affect my mediocre shooting much.

I'm probably not going to be using armor or a vest but weather does happen. What are some of y'alls out loud thoughts about stocks concerning clothing , gear, or shooting positions.
I like the CTR and LMT SOPMOD stocks. I use LMT, Vltor, and BCM receiver extensions. Those brands seem to be very well made and give a proper "fit" to mil-spec sized stocks. Don't buy no-name RE's and stick with known quality stocks.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Spec your battle rifle! - 09/17/17
What is the opinion of the experts on which locks up tighter? BCM B5 Bravo, LMT Sopmod, or Magpul CTR?
Posted By: TWR Re: Spec your battle rifle! - 09/17/17
I've never tried a BCM stock.

The B5 SOPMOD has started out tighter than any other, especially the early ones. Once you use them a bit they loosen on their own but still lock up tight.

LMT SOPMOD has always been just perfect for me.

The CTR when locked is pretty solid but can have some play in them. Not a bad cheekweld but no SOPMOD.

I have mostly LMT receiver extensions but have had a few Colt ones too.
The CTR locks up tight because it has a lever that snugs it to the RE. The LMT stocks I've had have all seemed to have a tighter fit than the B5's. But, they do not have a locking lever.
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: Spec your battle rifle! - 09/17/17
I have a couple of the LMT's, a couple of the B5's & both are good; I really prefer the fit of the LMT but it's noticeably heavier than the B5.

I have several of the Magpul STR's & they are a close 2nd to the LMT's........a bit more compact, lighter & a bunch cheaper, but still have a very good cheek weld that is better than the B5's. STR's also have a lock.

CTR's a fine for a low cost option on a multi use rifle..........not the best for much of any precision shooting because of the weaker cheek weld, at least for me.

YMMV
Posted By: BarryC Re: Spec your battle rifle! - 09/17/17
You start getting into all these stock/mount/scope combos and you are really opening a can of worms!
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: Spec your battle rifle! - 09/18/17
Not really, at all.

If it fits, use it; if not change to something that does fit.

Lots of different preferences...........that's why there's so many variants available.

MM
Posted By: TWR Re: Spec your battle rifle! - 09/18/17
Interesting, I have a couple of LMT's and a couple of B5 stocks, had several more of each and mine weigh the same.

The first B5's were built to the wrong spec, not their fault, they built em like they were told. The next ones were so tight that you had to pound them on. Somewhere along the way, they got the size right, maybe they changed something else to cut weight? Regardless, LMT is my favorite and I believe they are made by KAC if I remember right.
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: Spec your battle rifle! - 09/18/17
I don't know if KAC actually makes the stocks for LMT or not, but the 2 that I do have are on KAC rifles; I have a 3rd KAC that has a different stock as well.

If you like the feel of the LMT, try the STR.............but it does have a seam that might snag your beard wink.

But I guess you could always fill that seam...............the STR is about half the price of the LMT to buy it outright.

MM
Posted By: TWR Re: Spec your battle rifle! - 09/18/17
I became an LMT dealer years ago just because of the stock.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Spec your battle rifle! - 09/18/17
No problem with cans of worms here. I WANT to hear opinions and personal experience when I ask this type of question and hope to hear back from members who I value their opinions. I was not disappointed. Thanks to all who responded.

Background:
Have a 6920 set up for longer range, but the OEM 6-pos T6 isn't the greatest for that. Got an A2 given to me by a friend. Great stock, but a little heavier than I wanted on the carbine.
This was a great thread! Thanks again to everyone that participated!!

X-VERMINATOR
Posted By: jimmyp Re: Spec your battle rifle! - 10/30/17
any consensus on nitrided barrels wearing as well as compared to the chromed barrels? I don't know if they are as resistant to wear/rust as chrome?.
Posted By: Timberbuck Re: Spec your battle rifle! - 11/05/17
I have three that would quality.

Factory Colt lower with Geissele SSA, Vltor Emod stock, BCM hammer forged 16" Govt. profile mid length gas upper with Colt FA BCG, troy/viking tactics rail. BCM/DD front sight, Larue Rear BUIS, BCM gunfighter mod 0 comp and mod 4 charging handle. Aimpoint Comp 4 with Larue QD mount. The fixed detachable sights are running lower 1/3 co-witness with the Aimpoint. Sprinco CS Blue recoil spring with H buffer, Sprinco ejector spring and BCM 5 soil CS extractor spring with black insert. Magpul winter trigger guard adn MOE plus grip.

Noveske Rogue hunter 18" SS lightweight, factory except replaced the ALG ACT trigger with a Larue MBT two stage trigger (awesome BTW), Sprinco CS white spring H buffer and CS ejector spring, BCM 5 coil extractor spring/ black insert, Magpul MOE plus grip, Silencerco ASR muzzle brake. Troy flip up battle sights front and rear. No optics yet but looking at the 1-8 Trijicon, Tango 6 Sig in a 1-6. Will be mounted with a Larue, ADM or Bobro QD mount.

LMT Defender 16 M4 Govt. profile carbine gas with Sopmod stock, LMT two stage trigger, H2 buffer with Sprinco CS blue spring. Sprinco ejector spring and BCM CS 5 coil extractor spring/black insert. LMT full auto weight BCG. Vltor CASV EL rail system, BCM gunfigher mod 4 charging handle, fixed front sight with GG&G MADD rear flip up BUIS. Aimpoint COMP M3 with A.R.M.S QD mount.
Posted By: Mittenman Re: Spec your battle rifle! - 11/05/17
My "fightin" AR is a Colt 6920 Magpul addition with an M4 red dot.
Posted By: johnw Re: Spec your battle rifle! - 11/06/17
Just curious as to the opinions of rifles like S&Ws mp15 sport w a 1/9 twist barrel?

I also noted that I didn't see a single mention of anything from RRA in this thread. Never heard of BCM til today, but they are close to home and I'd like to hear more about them.

Informed opinions about suitability of the springer saint, and rugers ar556 for utility/defense weapons welcome.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Spec your battle rifle! - 11/06/17
Others may chuckle, but I trust nothing totally from the factory. And I"ve have no issues with an RRA. I just run the snot out of em up front and fix anything needed.
Posted By: johnw Re: Spec your battle rifle! - 11/06/17
I'm also interested in opinions on holographic sights. The best, the worst, the most reliable and easiest to use.
Which would work out best for a utility/defense rifle? Or are they to be avoided?
Posted By: Grand Re: Spec your battle rifle! - 11/07/17
MSTN Built Larue Upper/Lower/Rail
Noveske Afghan14.5 SS
Geiselle SSA-E
[Linked Image]
Posted By: budman5 Re: Spec your battle rifle! - 11/09/17
Don't forget the Magpul Bad Lever.It's a must on my rifles.
Posted By: ar15a292f Re: Spec your battle rifle! - 11/09/17
Colt AR15A4 rifle
Geissele SSA-E trigger
Daniel Defense Omega Rail
Daniel Defense fore grip
Harris bipod
Geissele scope mount
Matech BUIS
Burris 2-10x42 XTR II scope
Ergo grip
VTAC sling
any consensus on nitrided barrels wearing as well as compared to the chromed barrels? I don't know if they are as resistant to wear/rust as chrome?.

Good Question.
Posted By: jimmyp Re: Spec your battle rifle! - 11/10/17
Nitride is OK but in my opinion chrome is more durable
Posted By: GuyM Re: Spec your battle rifle! - 11/10/17
Of course, an actual "battle rifle" is going to be whatever is issued from the armory...

Probably nothing fancy, just a basic M-16 or M4.

Guy
Posted By: Bluedreaux Re: Spec your battle rifle! - 11/11/17
Originally Posted by GuyM
Of course, an actual "battle rifle" is going to be whatever is issued from the armory...

Probably nothing fancy, just a basic M-16 or M4.

Guy

Not really.
Posted By: viking Re: Spec your battle rifle! - 11/11/17
Blue, glad to see your posting again.
[quote=Glynn]One guys perspective, I know. Now I just keep my buis in my range bag or back pack, same as a back up bolt, spring kit, etc. My gun doesn't get worked all that hard anyway.

Short "Recce"-

11.5"
Geissele 10" Rail
Geissele Trigger
1-8x mil/mil scope
NF Mount
Surefire Warcomp
B.E Myers MAWL-DA
Surefire Scout
BCM Grip/Stock/CH
WOTG sling

[Linked Image]

Formidilosus, why did you censor the 1-8X Nightforce?

So was it the ATACR or NX8? grin
This sure has been an interesting thread. One thing that I realized after having an AR rifle is I'd rather have them in the heat of the battle, than my lowly ol bolt actions. One rifle that I would trust my life on is my North Tech Defense. It is extremely accurate and quite maneuverable. I love shooting it in different field positions and off the bench. It has never had one glitch and I've fired quite a few rounds downrange with it now. I don't care if it has a longer barrel than some of your battle rifles, it suits me very well, I'd go into battle with this one:

[Linked Image]

Specs:

1. Gen 3 PRS stock
2. K2+ grip
3. Tuned RRA 2 stage match trigger
4. Windham weaponry varmint exterminator 1 in 8 twist 20" barrel
5. Noveske 16.7" NSR
6. Armaspec LPK with ambi controls (not shown in pic)
7. BADD lever
8. North Tech Defense upper
9. Spikes tactical lower
10. Right to Bear Arms Nickel Boron BCG
11. Radian raptor charging handle

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Having said this, I realize I am a newbie to AR's. A year from now, I may think something is better, but for now I'd go with this one.

Yes

So was it the ATACR or NX8? grin

ATACR.

Though for the vast majority of uses I would and do, choose the NX8.
I'd like to hear yalls opinion on gas blocks.......

I see a lot of full length rails that require low profile gas blocks.
Do you prefer a pinned front sight base that has been shaved to fit under the rail or
a low profile gas block with set screws? Do you require the barrel to be dimpled for the set screws?

Have you had gas blocks come loose?

Great thread, lot of good information!
My personal preference is for a low profile gas block, single screw with a dimpled barrel.

However, if anyone else has a better idea, I'd like to hear about it.
Posted By: Captain Re: Spec your battle rifle! - 08/23/18
Originally Posted by MoranoGrande
I'd like to hear yalls opinion on gas blocks.......

I see a lot of full length rails that require low profile gas blocks.
Do you prefer a pinned front sight base that has been shaved to fit under the rail or
a low profile gas block with set screws? Do you require the barrel to be dimpled for the set screws?

Have you had gas blocks come loose?

Great thread, lot of good information!

I prefer pinned as first choice with clamp-on blocks probably second choice over setscrews. Dimpled is otherwise known as dog pointing and I would not use a set screwed block unless it was. Because of the heat involved I am suspect of those using only locktite. If there is enough meat an old trick is to run two short setscrews in the same hole. One on top of the other. I trust this even more than a jamb nut on an extra length set screw. If the screw is near to flush it can be staked with a centerpunch to prevent it backing out. Pinned is still best and there are blocks available for that. Nothing wrong with shaving a front sight tower but cosmetic results may vary from one mechanic to another. Also note some set screws are cup pointed and others are knurled. Pick your poison. I like my poison knurled... if I'm using poison. grin
Posted By: TWR Re: Spec your battle rifle! - 08/23/18
As said above, pinned is as solid as it gets. There are jigs available for low profile gas blocks.

Clamp on blocks are supposed to put less stress ( affect accuracy less) than dimples and set screws. They also hold well when correctly installed.

I have not seen a gas block come loose that was set screwed and have one LaRue barrel with their 3 screw gas block. As long as it's covered by the rail, tightened farmer tight with loctite, it should be okay.
LMT 16" upper with a no-name lower and upgraded two stage trigger, magpul carbine stock, SWFA 1-4 with magpul BUIS.

I had a PRS stock on it for a while, but the weight was just too much for this application.

Just out of curiosity, what do you carry in your parts kit?

I carry a full lower rebuild kit with pins and springs, and an extra nickel-boron coated BCG, along with necessary tools.

What am I missing?
© 24hourcampfire