Home
Posted By: jimmyp Do EoTechs still suck? - 11/12/17
I was wondering if they had fixed the drifting zero due to cold temperature, parallax problems, poor quality control?
Posted By: TWR Re: Do EoTechs still suck? - 11/13/17
I think those that like them still like them. Those that don't, not so much.

I was killing time in Bass Pro this afternoon and got sticker shock when I saw them for $579 but then I saw a T1 for $800 something and decided I needed to leave.
Posted By: jimmyp Re: Do EoTechs still suck? - 11/13/17
when they got above $600 I found myself looking more at the low power variables, eotech still intrigues me as I like the reticle better.
Posted By: carlm Re: Do EoTechs still suck? - 11/13/17
I had one of the ones that could have issues. They bought it back. If I was going to buy a red dot today, it would be the Aimpoint T2. I can get one for $600 or so.
Posted By: TWR Re: Do EoTechs still suck? - 11/14/17
So with the $75 rebates going on, I'm thinking of trying another one myself. Anyone had any experience with the newer production ones?

I can't do Aimpoints as my astigmatism blurs the dot too bad. I need to try one and see if the eo-thingies are any better.

And while we're at it, how about the MRO?
Posted By: jimmyp Re: Do EoTechs still suck? - 11/15/17
Yep I had the one with the cross ways battery, and it was good in the clear dot Department for me. Aimpoint looks like a fuzzy football to me. I tried one of the Romeo 4’s because they have an eotech reticle, it’s broke now and going back to SIG for repair. I am trying to trade an SWFA 1-4 plus aeroprecision Mount to a hunting friend for the eotech I sold him last year crazy
Posted By: TWR Re: Do EoTechs still suck? - 11/16/17
Well I researched as much as I could and found that EO recalled them and fixed a lot of issues. The thermal shift is in all red dots, so is parrallax. Battery life of 600 hours isn't nearly as good as 1 year or even 5 but it's long enough to shoot up all my ammo. I carry spare CR123's everywhere and have head lights, flashlights, weapon lights and even my range finder that uses them so no biggie.

I already have 2 LPV equipped carbine so I ordered one to try, an EXSP2-0 is on its way and I'll get a few days next week to try it out.
Posted By: viking Re: Do EoTechs still suck? - 11/16/17
I never did check on my 552, it uses AA's.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Do EoTechs still suck? - 11/17/17
I have NV compatible 556's on several house and farm AR's, they've been a great sights for 3/4 years now, turn em on a shoot a bit every once in awhile, then turn em off, have never had any low batt problems or shifts in poi, they're great for hits up close or out to around 100 yards or so.
Originally Posted by jimmyp
I was wondering if they had fixed the drifting zero due to cold temperature, parallax problems, poor quality control?

No.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Do EoTechs still suck? - 11/19/17
Originally Posted by viking
I never did check on my 552, it uses AA's.

My 552 has never screwed up. So, I've never had a reason to check it and try to make it fail. Then again, I don't live in sub-zero temperatures.
Posted By: deflave Re: Do EoTechs still suck? - 11/19/17
Yes.

Dave
Posted By: Bluedreaux Re: Do EoTechs still suck? - 11/20/17
What parallax problems? They have less parallax than nearly any other dot on the market.

https://www.greeneyetactical.com/2017/07/27/comparative-study-of-red-dot-sight-parallax/
Posted By: TWR Re: Do EoTechs still suck? - 11/20/17
Yep and all red dots have some thermal shift. Battery life is useable. The reticle is better for me, I shot an AP PRO this weekend and the dot was a crooked U to my eyes. To each his own...
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Do EoTechs still suck? - 11/20/17
I have a couple. They never have sucked. Much to do about nothing.
Mine have been good.
Posted By: jimmyp Re: Do EoTechs still suck? - 11/20/17
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
What parallax problems? They have less parallax than nearly any other dot on the market.

https://www.greeneyetactical.com/2017/07/27/comparative-study-of-red-dot-sight-parallax/

well I traded back into my XPS 2-0 just for the hell of it, my bud now has an SWFA 1-4 sitting in an aeroprecision mount on his 6720. I don't like the push button on, and I don't think it comes on bright enough so you have to turn it up some, I have it on a gun that resides in the safe for now. I have noticed the parallax in the aimpoint, but if you can hold it the same way all the time I guess your ok.
Posted By: hotrodusa Re: Do EoTechs still suck? - 11/27/17
Eotechs, I never stopped liking them, work great, I like the wide view lens on them. Aimpoint Pro works too.............
Posted By: shrapnel Re: Do EoTechs still suck? - 11/27/17
Originally Posted by deflave
Yes.

Dave

Waiting for your Eotech drop test...
Posted By: NYH1 Re: Do EoTechs still suck? - 11/27/17
I read an article written by an Army SF guy that did multiple tours in Afghanistan in both the summer and winter months. I believe it was in SWAT magazine. He said they would zero their EOTechs before leaving the states then again when they got in country.

They would notice the zero shift when they would get there in late summer/early fall and their deployment went into the winter. Or if they got there in the winter and their deployment went into the spring/early summer.

In other words, extreme temperature spreads. Once they knew about the zero shift issue they just checked them more often and re-zeroed accordingly. The weather would stay the same for a long enough period of time that they could go do their thing without worrying about it.

NYH1.

***Edited to add, I'm an Aimpoint guy. However, I'd use a EOTech without worry.***
Posted By: TWR Re: Do EoTechs still suck? - 11/28/17
All I know is I've never been able to use a red dot at 200 yards before.

And if my dot is not sitting on top of my front sight post, I'll start thinking about thermal shift and maybe global warming... I'm loving mine.
Posted By: ridge Re: Do EoTechs still suck? - 11/28/17
Personally, I think TWR over-analyzed and over-spent on the EoTech. He could have bought a Primary Arms advanced micro dot, saved some dough, and put all that thermal shift worry behind him.

I'll be leaving now.......
Probably right, I was shooting with a buddy Sunday evening who has a PA micro copy and the dot was clearer than my old T2 for some reason.

Of course this was the same one I saw take a swan dive off his AR onto the concrete cause it's Chinese mount snapped... smile
Posted By: ridge Re: Do EoTechs still suck? - 11/28/17
Proving just how tough they are... smile
Posted By: TC1 Re: Do EoTechs still suck? - 11/28/17
Originally Posted by ridge
Personally, I think TWR over-analyzed and over-spent on the EoTech. He could have bought a Primary Arms advanced micro dot, saved some dough, and put all that thermal shift worry behind him.

I'll be leaving now.......

I have one of those. The inspection tag read: "Inspected by: Yu Stin Ki Pu" Go to China for the good stuff!
Now that's funny!
Posted By: jimmyp Re: Do EoTechs still suck? - 11/29/17
the nice SIG romeo 4 I bought says "made in china" right on the bottom of it, the circle dot is not a circle dot its an ellipse dot. It may be broken i need to test it one more time to be sure ... whistle again every time you buy something cheap and beat the system you always get what you pay for.
Posted By: TWR Re: Do EoTechs still suck? - 12/02/17
Just had this thing out 3 or 4 times in the past 2 weeks, battery is still good, zero has held, probably a 40 degree temp extreme is all but everything has held solid. I shot 40 rounds with it today (after pistols) standing unsupported offhand at 100 yards shooting at 2 half size IPSC targets and put 35 of them on target while double tapping. Not great shooting but I'm pleased with the EOThingie so far.

Not recommending them, just keeping my results up to date.
Posted By: jimmyp Re: Do EoTechs still suck? - 12/03/17
What trigger is in your rifle with the EO thing?
Posted By: TWR Re: Do EoTechs still suck? - 12/03/17
G2S, it's just a chrome lined pencil barrel, not even free floated and shootng IMI M193 ammo but I still like to have a decent trigger.
Originally Posted by TWR
Just had this thing out 3 or 4 times in the past 2 weeks, battery is still good, zero has held, probably a 40 degree temp extreme is all but everything has held solid. I shot 40 rounds with it today (after pistols) standing unsupported offhand at 100 yards shooting at 2 half size IPSC targets and put 35 of them on target while double tapping. Not great shooting but I'm pleased with the EOThingie so far.

Not recommending them, just keeping my results up to date.

To be clear, if your shooting at a 50% IPSC you'll probably be happy with it. It's when you require hitting small targets that the issues show up.
Posted By: TWR Re: Do EoTechs still suck? - 12/04/17
I'm sure my money would've been better spent on eye surgery or maybe even new glasses. I have scoped carbines that I hunt with and one iron sighted 6920. This 6720 and the 6920 are just fun guns, partly your fault cause of your challenge you did awhile back made me realize I suck at shooting off hand. These are for learning to shoot better.

And trust me, if my T2's dot appeared even remotely like a dot, I would've kept it.
Posted By: jimmyp Re: Do EoTechs still suck? - 12/04/17
So the trigger and balance make a big difference to me when I am shooting off hand, I want to try one of those chip McCormick box triggers that have a flat blade and 3.5 pounds.
© 24hourcampfire