Home
Posted By: timl Tell me about your 308 AR - 02/24/18
Which one do you have?
Is it reliable?
How does it shoot?

I think it’s my next purchase, but I don’t really have a favorite.

Thanks
I have a Diamondback DB10 .308.

Groups sub-moa.

Was just out hunting hogs and got 2 yesterday evening.

They are about $800 down here. No FTF issues at all.
Posted By: hanco Re: Tell me about your 308 AR - 02/24/18
I had a Rock River, super accurate, but it was heavy. I sold it, bought another 223. I have some 308 RCBS small base dies if you need them.
My opinion is Armalite has the best design. Armalite being the the original of this design, they hold several patents on the AR 308 , so other manufactures were forced to re-invent the wheel so to speak.
I know you knowledgeable people out there will say AR stoner was the original but they sold the design to Armalite and they have the key design patents.

All that said, company's like Daniel Defense make a make a very nice product, just that they use proprietary parts and being able to change things can be difficult.

There are several parts manufactures out there that make nice parts, but knowing what will work together can be a costly learning experience.

I dont see a mil spec for the 308 platform happening any time soon.

Just my opinion but if someone could spend the time to make a beefy robust adjustable piston gas system that really would make the 308 size platform shine.
something that had about a 3" stroke.
What is it about the Armalite that makes it the best design? I don't see it myself, looking at it with an engineering background. Being the first does not equate to being the best.

Also, ALL of the 308 AR designs use proprietary parts. Every single one. That's just how these guns are, so it doesn't make much sense to point at one and say "proprietary parts" as if that's a knock against it.
Posted By: JRS3 Re: Tell me about your 308 AR - 02/25/18
I have a Daniel Defense Kryptek Hunter in .308 and like it a lot. It had mag release issues at first but a touch of oil fixed that and havent had any problems since. It shoots MOA and is great fun to hunt with, especially when a can is added. I wouldnt call it a stalking rifle but for stand hunting, no problem. I would definitely order a DD again and hope they come out with models in 6.5 CM or 7mm-08.
Wife got me this for Christmas. Haven’t been out yet.

https://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/product-p/mi-tr308.htm
Built mine with Aero lower and upper. DPMS compatible. Ballistic Advantage barrel. Shoots great, which is what I care about most.
Posted By: Slider1 Re: Tell me about your 308 AR - 03/03/18
I have an Armalite.
Posted By: m1919 Re: Tell me about your 308 AR - 03/03/18
My 308 AR is a 243

AP upper/lower
BHW barrel

One of my favorites. Best group is 5 in less than 0.5" with 105s. It will do under 1" consistantly.....but only if do my part. Still working on load development.

I just love the 6mm bullets. 105 Hornady and 90 skinners are top picks.

I shoot Barnes Precision Machine rifles in both small and large frame. They are awesome rifles, especially for the money: dead nuts reliable and accurate/precise. They are KAC pattern like everyone competing for MIL contract projects. I compete with them and would trust my life to them.
Originally Posted by KineticPerformance
I shoot Barnes Precision Machine rifles in both small and large frame. They are awesome rifles, especially for the money: dead nuts reliable and accurate/precise. They are KAC pattern like everyone competing for MIL contract projects. I compete with them and would trust my life to them.

I wish I could afford one of those...
POF 3rd gen P-308. It shoots about 1 MOA as near as I can tell, right now it has a Leupold Rifleman 3-9x40 , and it has a rather thick reticle for accurate work.Later this week I'll be getting in an Athlon Helos 6-24x50 FFP mil scope I'm pretty certain my groups will shrink once I get this scope on, and sighted in. The rifle has functioned flawlessly for about 150 rounds thus far. Am currently using Hornady SST 165 great, and will try some VLD's next.
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by KineticPerformance

I wish I could afford one of those...

They are cheaper than LaRue, GAP, JP, etc and I think about the same as Seekins. I think Seekins makes good stuff too but Barnes is local and I try and support local people. Luckily, Andrew makes awesome guns.
How is the s&w m&p 10? I almost bought one for $900 yesterday....
I have a Del-ton Echo. Very happy with it.
I have a DPMS in .308, nice rifle but super heavy. Recoil is minimal however. It's more accurate than I am. Eats everything I feed it. No complaints.
Originally Posted by Slider1
I have an Armalite.

Me too, AR10T (target model). Shoots great, but I'm not an AR guy. Especially the big ones. I'd like to swap it for a new custom featherweight .223.

[Linked Image]

I picked up DPMS LR308, I certainly know there is "better". For 650 it came with a Troy 7" hand guard and a Chinese made Primary Arms red dot. That Delta ring with spring easily compresses when I grab the rail to acquire target. Quick fix....Midwest 12" free float Gaurd. Next thing you know I swapped the BCG to KAK, install Wilson TR-TRU SS, CAR-10 buffer and a Radian Raptor, Troy flip ups and a RMR type 2 RM01. My suggestion, don't buy that RM01...damn auto dim feature sucks.
Overall, balance is even in your hands, feels nimble, weighs 10.2lbs with a 10rnd Lancer AWS and fmj's. Haven't paper'd yet just shooting small snow caps out to 150 yds on fields. Only stock features is matching upper/lower receiver, mag release and barrel. I like it.
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
How is the s&w m&p 10? I almost bought one for $900 yesterday....

FWIW, I like my M&P AR15 (.300BLK). Can't speak to their AR10.

You should be able to build a good one for less, though.
Thanks ch....
Posted By: slm9s Re: Tell me about your 308 AR - 03/06/18
I've had a Medesha custom AR10 in 6mmX and DPMS models in 243 260 and 308. All were accurate and functioned well. The 243 was hamstrung by a 10 twist (lite hunter) otherwise I loved it. I competed in some small venue PRS type events with my LR260 with a Steiner 4-16 military on top and did well. They are heavy though, and brass gets dirty and sometimes beat up. If I was sitting over a wide open space with many targets/varmints of opportunity I would love to use these rifles, however I'm never in such a situation so they are fun range toys for me.
Mega MATEN homebuilts.

308 Rock 1:11.25 from Rainier, Rubber City bcg, superlative block haven't fired it yet but have a box of 155 skinners in wait.

6.5 Creed from ar15performance, RC bcg, superlative block was flinging 140eld's into tiny holes this weekend with Rifle length gas and 42gr of H4350. Didn't clock them but hope to this weekend. Was a maiden voyage to test feed/function and it was flawless.

The Maten stuff is on sale everywhere and is good stuff. I don't know what will happen when it's gone however.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Tell me about your 308 AR - 03/07/18
What the heck is a skinner?
Posted By: mathman Re: Tell me about your 308 AR - 03/07/18
Lapua Scenar
Posted By: hanco Re: Tell me about your 308 AR - 03/07/18
I had a Rock River, decided it was too heavy.
Originally Posted by rost495
What the heck is a skinner?

It's retard talk like calling scopes Loopies, stocks Mickies, and rifles Montuckies.
Posted By: slm9s Re: Tell me about your 308 AR - 03/12/18
Don't forget super chickens and krunchentickers!
© 24hourcampfire