Home
Posted By: Goat Barrels - 04/16/18
I've .been reading about AR15s for years and even bought a Rock River Predator Pursuit with a 16" barrel roughly six years ago. I am gathering parts to make my own take of SPR or DMR. Since this my take on it then it's really not either but that's okay but that's what it will be for me.
Anyway, I am looking to put a 20" barrel on it to get more velocity for the 75-77gr bullets that I have stashed away. I wouldn't mind a 22"or even a 24" if it's not too heavy. Because of my disability I can't haul the weight around I used to. Plus I don't like heavy rifles anyway. The Rock River carbine I have has what they call a "national match" weight barrel and I don't care for it. All of this has got me thinking that a gov't weight 20" should work out fine for me. Like so many I really don't have the money to buy a high dollar barrel so I'll just have to rely on the experience of other folks on a tight budget.
Sure I would love to have a finished rifle that weighs 6 pounds and shoots .25" groups at 200yrs but I think I'm being realistic to want a barrel that is capable of 1"@ 100yds for 3 shots but would rather it be for 5 shots but there I'm going down the rabbit trail of what I "would rather have" again.
All of this to ask, can anyone recommend a 20"(or22-24") barrel that is relatively light, like gov't weight, for a 1" @100yd barrel for tight budget. I know that for the most part you get what you pay for. But with time and patience I've been able to get that kind of accuracy out of hunting rifles by handloading.
So what can you suggest? Or if someone has a barrel they have taken off because that level of accuracy wasn't enough..........
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Barrels - 04/16/18
3 shots for 1" at 100 yards? Like ive heard rost say, dang near any good barrel will shoot better than that. He's right, from what ive seen. I damn near bought a 20" black hole weaponry barrel on a noveske upper with 15"Troy battle rail that would have worked perfectly for you. Light and sub moa accuracy, and only $450.00!!
Posted By: Goat Re: Barrels - 04/16/18
That would have done it!
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: Barrels - 04/16/18
I don't know of any 20-24" barrels that are really very light.

At a minimum, most of those will be SPR contour or heavier, & on top of that, you're adding barrel length.

Most quality 16 or 18" barrels from good manufacturers will meet your requirement of 3-5 shot into an inch if you have top quality ammo & can shoot it consistently.

Buy an 18" barrel of whatever shape spins your prop from White Oak for around $350 & rock on; or you can buy a little cheaper from others as well, that will do just fine.

MM
Posted By: rost495 Re: Barrels - 04/16/18
While I do say i've not seen a barrel that wouldn't do 1 inch at 100 for 3-5 shot groups in a LONG time, sometimes it takes handloads to get tehre.

And be aware I"ve never seen any barrel get there with ball ammo.... maybe a few fluke groups but if you stretch ball to 10 shot groups it'll show its true flaws every time.
Posted By: Ghostman Re: Barrels - 04/16/18
Go to surplusammo.com for very good prices on Black Hole Weaponry barrels. I have 2 of their 5.56 Wylde chambered barrels (1 20" & 1 24") that shoot 1/4-1/2" 3 shot groups with my handloads.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Barrels - 04/16/18
I have a windham weaponry varmint exterminator barrel on a spikes tactical and it's not heavy. Shoots lights out too. That rifle bumps mm out of his #6 spot in the black rifle challenge here with a .834 moa avg.... get a lightweight freefloating handguard and low pro gas block to reduce weight and youll be golden...
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: Barrels - 04/17/18
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
That rifle bumps mm out of his #6 spot in the black rifle challenge here with a .834 moa avg....

Enjoy it while you can, 'cause I'm going to fix that real quick here, weather permitting. grin

MM
Posted By: oldmodel Re: Barrels - 04/17/18
Check out Faxon arms gunner and pencil barrels. They're lighter than a govt. contour and get good reviews for accuracy.
I have a 20" Faxon fluted on my build and it shoots 5 shot groups < 1"
Posted By: rost495 Re: Barrels - 04/17/18
Faxon, thank you, I could not think of the brand we bought from brownells for a pencil barrel for a friend. A practice match load I have with 60 sierras shoots well enough to scare the heck out of an inch mostly IIRC, good enough he has never ask for better or more accurate ammo, just asks for another 50 now and then.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Barrels - 04/17/18
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
That rifle bumps mm out of his #6 spot in the black rifle challenge here with a .834 moa avg....

Enjoy it while you can, 'cause I'm going to fix that real quick here, weather permitting. grin

MM

Awesome man! I like that attitude. Good luck. I look forward to seeing some good targets.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Barrels - 04/17/18
Originally Posted by oldmodel
Check out Faxon arms gunner and pencil barrels. They're lighter than a govt. contour and get good reviews for accuracy.
I have a 20" Faxon fluted on my build and it shoots 5 shot groups < 1"

Good thread and good info..
Posted By: kwg020 Re: Barrels - 04/18/18
I bought this one last year from Midway USA. I have not shot it a lot but I was pretty happy with it. It's still a 3 lb barrel if too much weight is an issue.

kwg

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/5...r-1-in-8-twist-20-fluted-stainless-steel

Here is one that is 24" long and weighs over 4 lbs.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/6...-contour-1-in-8-twist-24-stainless-steel
Posted By: cumminscowboy Re: Barrels - 04/18/18
criterion hybrid is what I would recommend.
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: Barrels - 04/18/18
Criterion makes good barrels too.

MM
Posted By: badwolf Re: Barrels - 04/19/18
Look at LARUE $225
Posted By: KentuckyMountainMan Re: Barrels - 04/19/18
Brownells has a 20 inch Barrel for 175 bucks....It is a chrome lined lightweight that is 1.75 lbs......I used this barrel on a Build..... it shot less than a 1 inch at a 100.....

Stock # 100-021-011WB
Posted By: rost495 Re: Barrels - 04/19/18
Originally Posted by badwolf
Look at LARUE $225

Is La Rue making their own barrels these days? Seems I heard that some time back, just curious. I know the rejection rate from Walther that they did use could have been high enough to drive them to do their own.
Posted By: CriterionBarrels Re: Barrels - 04/19/18
The 20" Hybrid contour model will be just a hair heavier than the Government profile, but it adds weight where it counts (around the chamber toward the breech end of the barrel). What sort of maximum effective range are you looking at with this rifle? Most people are surprised that a 16" barrel can consistently take them out well beyond 700 yards with the right ammunition.

If weight reduction is the primary consideration I would consider shortening the barrel a bit rather than slimming down the profile. If long range shooting is the goal then a 20-24" will likely remain your best bet for the added velocity boost.
Posted By: antelope_sniper Re: Barrels - 04/20/18
Originally Posted by CriterionBarrels
The 20" Hybrid contour model will be just a hair heavier than the Government profile, but it adds weight where it counts (around the chamber toward the breech end of the barrel). What sort of maximum effective range are you looking at with this rifle? Most people are surprised that a 16" barrel can consistently take them out well beyond 700 yards with the right ammunition.

If weight reduction is the primary consideration I would consider shortening the barrel a bit rather than slimming down the profile. If long range shooting is the goal then a 20-24" will likely remain your best bet for the added velocity boost.

I have the 18" Hybrid, and it's a real shooter....My 16" government profile, not so much...
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Barrels - 04/21/18
Don't forget to check out AR15Performance in Key West, FL. Harrison has been making barrels for a long time and knows his stuff. And his barrels are very reasonable at ~ $200.
Posted By: Goat Re: Barrels - 04/25/18
Thanks guys for all the suggestions and ideas as well as the commentary! As much as I liked the era before the computer age I must admit that this is much better than the advice I could get from just a couple of friends. And it's way better than buying them until you find a good one. Many thanks!!!
Posted By: dennisinaz Re: Barrels - 11/05/18
Sure is hard to find a barrel with anything other than a 1-7, 1-8 twist.
Posted By: wareagle700 Re: Barrels - 11/05/18
Originally Posted by dennisinaz

I wish bolt actions were the same. Remington is still putting a 12 twist in some of their 223's.
Posted By: dennisinaz Re: Barrels - 11/06/18
I would love a 12 twist, it's the 14 twists that suck. My buddies and I want AR15s for coyote hunting-40, 50 and 53 grain bullets. A 12 twist would be perfect for that. An 8 twist just over spins the bullets and you give up a little velocity, a little accuracy and a lot of bullet integrity.
Posted By: antelope_sniper Re: Barrels - 11/06/18
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by CriterionBarrels

I have the 18" Hybrid, and it's a real shooter....My 16" government profile, not so much...

I changed the Brake on my 16". Seems to shoot better now.
Posted By: TWR Re: Barrels - 11/06/18
I would love a 12 twist, it's the 14 twists that suck. My buddies and I want AR15s for coyote hunting-40, 50 and 53 grain bullets. A 12 twist would be perfect for that. An 8 twist just over spins the bullets and you give up a little velocity, a little accuracy and a lot of bullet integrity.

I shoot coyotes with several guns but my main gun is a Kimber Montana I had rebarreled to 22-250AI in an 8 twist. I started out shooting 55 gr NBT's and it shoots them just fine. No jacket issues, coyote dies just as dead and I've even killed bobcats with it that didn't explode. I haven't tried any lighter bullets in it and in fact went to 75 gr A Max's but I've killed many a critter with a 40 Gr NBT in my 1/7 223's as well as a couple of 1/8's. I just haven't seen any downside to a 1/8 at all.
Posted By: kwg020 Re: Barrels - 11/06/18
Originally Posted by wareagle700

I wish bolt actions were the same. Remington is still putting a 12 twist in some of their 223's.

Remington's ADL has a 1/12 twist. I have been thinking about one to shoot Nosler Varmageddons.

kwg
Posted By: Yondering Re: Barrels - 11/06/18
An 8 twist just over spins the bullets and you give up a little velocity, a little accuracy and a lot of bullet integrity.

Believe what you want, but that sure hasn't been my experience. One of the most accurate 223 loads I use is the 50gr SP varmint bullets from Midsouth, in a 1:8 barrel.

It's not 1985 any more, we have better bullets now.
Posted By: antelope_sniper Re: Barrels - 11/07/18
Originally Posted by Yondering
An 8 twist just over spins the bullets and you give up a little velocity, a little accuracy and a lot of bullet integrity.

Believe what you want, but that sure hasn't been my experience. One of the most accurate 223 loads I use is the 50gr SP varmint bullets from Midsouth, in a 1:8 barrel.

It's not 1985 any more, we have better bullets now.

In a Bench Rifle, yes, but in an AR, it's not enough to matter.
Posted By: badwolf Re: Barrels - 11/08/18
My LARUE stealth is the most accurate i own, not very heavy $225
© 24hourcampfire