Home
Posted By: 66niteowl Painted or Cerakoted ARs - 08/14/18
Any of you guys care to show of your custom paint jobs ? I need some ideas
I'd like to see some cerakoted ones myself. Mine are all boringly black...
Posted By: Coop2564 Re: Painted or Cerakoted ARs - 08/15/18
I used brownells alum hyde II on my lower. Been about 2 months so far it still looks new.
Posted By: Kenlguy Re: Painted or Cerakoted ARs - 08/15/18
Upper and lower and hand guard all cerakoted in Mugpul FDE. Everything else came that way.
[Linked Image]
Here's some DIY rattlecan stuff.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: satx78247 Re: Painted or Cerakoted ARs - 08/16/18
MontanaMarine; All,

The best DIY finish that I've yet found is epoxy-based appliance paint from HD. = About 12 bucks a can & it will (depending on HOW you spray it) go from FLAT black to HIGH LUSTER black. - The farther away from the item that it is sprayed the FLATTER the final finish.
(One can will do two MBR with enough left over for refinishing a pistol.)

Once thoroughly cured, sandpaper won't remove it easily.

Btw, the flat black finish also FILLS rust pits & does a good job of hiding pitting that make a weapon LOOK scruffy..
(Btw, auto exhaust manifold paint works well too but doesn't come in as many colors.)

yours, tex
Originally Posted by satx78247

The best DIY finish that I've yet found is epoxy-based appliance paint from HD.

What Brand? Thanks.
I paint all mine.

Lasts for years and years.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
covejeepski,

DUPLI-COLOR, which I think is made by the same company that makes RUSTOLEUM.
(To my knowledge, HD only sells that one brand.)

BEST WISHES on your refinishing project.

yours, tex
Posted By: rost495 Re: Painted or Cerakoted ARs - 08/16/18
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
and still work and kill stuff just fine. LOL.

I don't have room to talk as CArolyn has a blue one or two from match days, and I have the mirage green paint on one of mine. LOL.
rost495,

One thing that fascinates me about AK-type rifles/carbines is that they keep right on shooting regardless of what they look like.

A fellow who I know here in SA has a AK-47 "parts gun" that started out as a combination of a "fair-sized pile of rusty junk" (that I probably wouldn't have taken home for free, had it been out on the curb in front of the house) & a home "bent-up" receiver made from a 10 dollar sheet-metal "flat" & that he painted with "farm implement" paint from Wal-Mart ..

Nonetheless, the former "pile of junk" shoots just fine, though it still won't win any beauty contests.

yours, tex
Posted By: Yondering Re: Painted or Cerakoted ARs - 08/16/18
Originally Posted by satx78247
rost495,

One thing that fascinates me about AK-type rifles/carbines is that they keep right on shooting regardless of what they look like.

To be fair, lots of other firearms do that too, including the AR platform.

For the OP - this isn't pretty, but something I whipped up with the Krylon camo paints when I wanted a snakeskin-ish pattern. I use the plastic webbing you find wrapped around rifle barrels or machine tools for packaging, just laid it out flat and did small sections at a time. Easy to re-do or change at any time, and it can all be stripped back to black if desired.

[Linked Image]

In fact, just for illustration, this lower receiver was painted to match the stock and grip, but I stripped it for another project. You can't tell it was ever painted.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
and still work and kill stuff just fine. LOL.

I don't have room to talk as CArolyn has a blue one or two from match days, and I have the mirage green paint on one of mine. LOL.

Ha ha.. I look at all of mine and they look the same though.. grin I like the pics so far. MontanaMarine's especially. Nice job on those for sure... Yondering's look bad azzed too. I wish I had some artistic talent like that. I may hit my cerakote guy up and see what he can do on one of my AR's. I was just looking at my Noveske yesterday, thinking about cerakote...
Here's one I painted for my daughter

[Linked Image]
Posted By: javman Re: Painted or Cerakoted ARs - 08/22/18
Used to be a certified Certified applicator and one thing I found out once you sand blasted AR even upper end parts is it exposes all the imperfections on those pieces. Then it took a few layers to hide those imperfections.
Posted By: Yondering Re: Painted or Cerakoted ARs - 09/09/18
Just did this one the other day. It turned out way brighter than I wanted, with too much white; I couldn't find the different grey tones I wanted at the paint store in flat colors, so I ended up with a cream color that isn't as dark as I hoped. I'll use this for now but will probably have to darken it at some point, I'm not very satisfied with this one.

[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire