Home
Posted By: Snake River Marksman reloading drills - 11/28/18
I don't have a lot of experience with ARs. I'm thinking I'll take several mags and load them with a random and unknown number of rounds then shoot to bolt lock then change mags as quick and clean as possible.
Posted By: antelope_sniper Re: reloading drills - 11/28/18
Something like this?

Here's another look. Lucas keeps his rifle on the shoulder and skips the safety:

That's as good a place to start as any.
Posted By: TWR Re: reloading drills - 11/28/18
Repetition is what you want to start with. Take your mags and load 2-3 rounds in each mag. Figure out how you are going to be carrying spare mags and start slow. Fire till empty or down to one, then dump mag while retrieving another one. Get your technique down first. Speed will come later.
I want to have an unknown number of rounds in the mag so the slide lock comes as a surprise.
More interested in smooth than blazing fast.
Originally Posted by Snake River Marksman
I want to have an unknown number of rounds in the mag so the slide lock comes as a surprise.

Let that come later. Start with one in the mag until you get your technique down, then build from there. Then you can take a buddy to the range and load each others magazines.
Posted By: dla Re: reloading drills - 11/28/18
Why would you want to practice reloading drills? How often do you break bits?
Posted By: rost495 Re: reloading drills - 11/28/18
With anything, if you know how to train, you do better in the end.

Anything like this, you start slow, and get the technique down. The fast will come as you go. And your brain, by that time, will realize the open bolt issue. Trust some of us.

I'm not saying I used to be great, but I did get a compliment from USAMU coach at nationals once that I had about the smoothest mag change in sitting rapid he ever saw. Said everything was efficient and smooth, making it fast also. You can bet I started with 1 round in each mag and kept it up until I got what I called decent.
Posted By: TWR Re: reloading drills - 11/28/18
Originally Posted by Snake River Marksman

By the time you get the reloads down, slide lock will rarely be a surprise. Slide lock has a totally different feel in recoil and if you shoot enough, you'll know it instantly.

You want smooth then start slow and get your technique down first.
I'll do as ya'll advise.
Posted By: jimmyp Re: reloading drills - 11/28/18
and yet another two reasons the AK platform sucks, no slide lock, F--ked up mag release.
Posted By: Kenlguy Re: reloading drills - 11/28/18
I've found that being 21- 25 years old can really help the speed factor too.
Posted By: plainsman456 Re: reloading drills - 11/29/18
Just remember that slow is fast.
Posted By: lvmiker Re: reloading drills - 11/30/18
Originally Posted by plainsman456

OK ???

mike r
Posted By: Formidilosus Re: reloading drills - 11/30/18
Originally Posted by plainsman456

Slow is slow.

Little quips like that need to die.
Posted By: Yondering Re: reloading drills - 11/30/18
Slow is just slow. Good for initial training, but then it's time to move beyond that as you get better.

Seems like a lot of advice people repeat like that one are intended for the most basic/inexperienced student, with no hope or mention of ever moving past the "baby steps" stage. Wonder why that is?
Posted By: JohnBurns Re: reloading drills - 12/01/18
This is very good from Frank Proctor.

Posted By: rost495 Re: reloading drills - 12/01/18
Originally Posted by Yondering
Slow is just slow. Good for initial training, but then it's time to move beyond that as you get better.

Seems like a lot of advice people repeat like that one are intended for the most basic/inexperienced student, with no hope or mention of ever moving past the "baby steps" stage. Wonder why that is?

Smooth can be fast though, no wasted motions....
Posted By: Yondering Re: reloading drills - 12/01/18
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by Yondering

Smooth can be fast though, no wasted motions....

I didn't say smooth is slow. That's what other people say.

Slow is good for learning to be smooth at first, but then we move beyond that. A lot of folks don't seem to get the bit about moving beyond the baby steps.
Posted By: rost495 Re: reloading drills - 12/03/18
I was not arguing at all. You have to get there in steps, going balls to the wall at first wont' make the right muscle memory.

Of course thats with anything really. You have to learn steps, learn smooth, learn what works with your geometry etc.

I always assume once you learn what it takes you just creep on getting quicker and quicker. I suppose thats not common sense to everyone though.
Posted By: plainsman456 Re: reloading drills - 12/03/18
Not when you are learning.

Before you can learn to run one needs to learn to walk!
© 24hourcampfire