Home
Posted By: T_O_M question : AR triggers - 12/10/18
Who makes the best, light, single stage trigger for an AR-15?

I'm on my first excursion into ARs and I've learned I don't like 2 stage triggers nor heavy 4+ pound triggers. I'm looking for a single stage, pound and a half or less. 8 ounces would be approaching good. Is there anything out there?

Tom
Posted By: Tyrone Re: question : AR triggers - 12/10/18
1 1/2lbs would be unsafe in an AR.
3lbs is about the minimum safe pull weight.

Personally, I wouldn't trust anything less than 3 1/2lbs.
Posted By: JPro Re: question : AR triggers - 12/10/18
I thought I wouldn't like a 2 stage either, until I bought a Rock River Varmint for $86. I can't see the need for anything more, but that's just me.
Posted By: T_O_M Re: question : AR triggers - 12/10/18
Thanks for the info.

Sounds like this might not be a gun for me. I bought a Ruger MPR. It's got the accuracy .. from a bench with a bit of cheating it'll shoot under half inch with some loads, but I can't do it without the cheats and I can't do the cheats from field positions.

Tom
I agree with jpro. However, there are other triggers that are better. Right now you can get a Larue mbt2s for $87.00. For twice the money, you can buy a Geiselle SSAE, which is a damn good trigger. I also vote 2 stage for an AR.
Originally Posted by T_O_M
Thanks for the info.

Sounds like this might not be a gun for me. I bought a Ruger MPR. It's got the accuracy .. from a bench with a bit of cheating it'll shoot under half inch with some loads, but I can't do it without the cheats and I can't do the cheats from field positions.

Tom

"Under 1/2". Is that all? Im surprised thats not in the black rifle challenge.
Posted By: killerv Re: question : AR triggers - 12/10/18
I think your problem is you are judging two stage triggers based on that junk the mpr comes with. My 452 trigger is terrible, gritty, inconsistent. Try a larue mbt for the money and you'll change your mind about 2 stage triggers.
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: question : AR triggers - 12/10/18

I'm on my first excursion into ARs and I've learned I don't like 2 stage triggers nor heavy 4+ pound triggers. I'm looking for a single stage, pound and a half or less. 8 ounces would be approaching good. Is there anything out there?

Tom

How hard are you going to use this gun, how many rounds per year will you fire & what are you going to use the gun for? All have a bearing on what type & what quality level trigger would be best, IMO.

MM
Posted By: Yondering Re: question : AR triggers - 12/10/18
Thanks for the info.

Tom

Keep an open mind about it. Not every gun needs an 8 oz trigger, especially a light weight semi auto. I prefer single stage triggers too, but 3 to 3-1/2 lb is about right for a good crisp single stage in these. IMO the feel of the trigger is a lot more important than the total weight, and a decent single stage AR trigger can be made nice and crisp with a very short reset.
Posted By: boatanchor Re: question : AR triggers - 12/10/18
I know most of the AR crowd loves the 2 stage, but I would never shoot an AR again unless it had a single stage trigger.

I have tried most of the drop in modular triggers like timney and chip McCormick etc, they are OK but hands down the finest AR single stage trigger is the complete JP fire control with trigger, speed hammer, springs and anti-walk pins. it is a PIA to install but well worth it. On one of my lowers I sent it to JP and had him install it..........that one breaks about 6oz less than the one I installed myself and still less expensive than some of the high dollar 2 stage on the market.
Posted By: renegade50 Re: question : AR triggers - 12/11/18
Velocity 3pd curved shoe.
Ran about 3500 rds thru mine .
No issues.
Then I sold the wpn.

Wanna try a Elftman 3 pd in my next build eventually.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: question : AR triggers - 12/11/18
I am a total SSA-E whore now.
Posted By: Captain Re: question : AR triggers - 12/11/18
Originally Posted by local_dirt

This.
Posted By: ChrisF Re: question : AR triggers - 12/11/18
John Holliger of White Oak Armament on single stage triggers used in Highpower;
https://www.whiteoakarmament.com/resources/faq.html#triggers

Granted, not everyone will shoot an AR the way we Highpower competitors do, but keep in mind that light trigger with no creep come with a toll on engagement. Good luck and be safe.
Posted By: Tyrone Re: question : AR triggers - 12/11/18
Originally Posted by ChrisF

That is an interesting point. I've put 10s of thous of rounds & dry firing through ARs using 2 stage triggers and have never had to adjust them. I've worn a couple out & had them rebuilt, however.
If John Holliger says it, it is the same as JC writing it on the tablets.
Posted By: 5thShock Re: question : AR triggers - 12/11/18
Gear queens will be gear queens. How could a time tested, blood tested Garand derived trigger group be any good?
Posted By: rost495 Re: question : AR triggers - 12/11/18
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
If John Holliger says it, it is the same as JC writing it on the tablets.

Totally agree
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: question : AR triggers - 12/11/18

Granted, not everyone will shoot an AR the way we Highpower competitors do, but keep in mind that light trigger with no creep come with a toll on engagement. Good luck and be safe.

And that's exactly why I asked what the usage & purpose of the gun would be.

I have several single stage triggers & I like them for certain uses, but on a gun to be used for home defense, I like a 2-stage.

MM
Originally Posted by Tyrone

That is an interesting point. I've put 10s of thous of rounds & dry firing through ARs using 2 stage triggers and have never had to adjust them. I've worn a couple out & had them rebuilt, however.

Tyrone,

Which 2 stage triggers did you manage to wear out?
Posted By: Tyrone Re: question : AR triggers - 12/12/18
Rock River. Took me about 10 years each of about 3-4,000 round per year and dry firing 3-5 days a week. When they wore out, they still held weight, but they were getting mushy. Still were safe. I still shoot them. They both still feel great after having been rebuilt by RR. I did upgrade one lower to a Geissele NM and moved the RR to a hunting/informal match gun. But I still run the other RR in matches. The difference between the 2 triggers is the GNM has a lock time that is noticeably faster to me. I like that. But it's about 3 times the price.

I did recently pick up a LaRue MBT. So far I really like it, but I need to get it on some NRA hang weights to see if it can make weight in a match. Spring-loaded trigger gauge says it will, but it is so very close to 4.5lbs that I don't know if the inspection gorillas can pass it. I expect it to hold weight and feel even longer than the RRs.
Thanks,

I appreciate the reply.
Posted By: Yondering Re: question : AR triggers - 12/12/18

John may be talking about single stage triggers made very light with very little engagement. My own experience with single stage triggers in the 3-4 lb range, set so they feel pretty crisp, do not match his comments. I don't shoot nearly in the quantity he does, but I've never had to re-adjust one yet. They do sometimes take more work to set up initially, which he alludes to in his comments about the safety, but that's just part of the deal.

Edit - my point here is that perhaps John is/was talking about something a bit different than the wide variety of 3-4 lb single stage triggers available these days.
Posted By: T_O_M Re: question : AR triggers - 12/13/18
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
How hard are you going to use this gun, how many rounds per year will you fire & what are you going to use the gun for? All have a bearing on what type & what quality level trigger would be best, IMO.

Good questions. The answer has changed from the time I bought it to now. I didn't .. and don't .. plan to shoot it with anything like the volume of a competitive high power shooter. Initially I planned for mostly personal defense at a rural home on a fairly large piece of property. The AR has proven unreliable <for me> in critical ways. I don't have confidence in it. It works as designed, but counter to my conditioning, and I keep dropping the magazine when I intend to release the safety. With the more vertical rear grip, the mag release is where I'm used to finding the push button cross-trigger safety. S-H-I-T. frown

So now I'm trying to save it by making it a varmint gun. It has shown that it has the mechanical accuracy. It has also shown that it does not have the practical / field accuracy because of the trigger. It's simple .. I either get it down to a safe and functional pound and a half, preferably less, or I'll shoot the rest of the ammo on hand then clean it up and sell it.

At this point, I'm looking at replacements. Most likely will be a marlin lever action .357 or .44. Does the jobs as I need them done in my setting. Possibility of a Mini-14, not because of any advantage other than more familiar ergonomics. Dunno. Not happy.

Tom
Posted By: Bwana_1 Re: question : AR triggers - 12/13/18
My new shoes arrived yesterday, waiting for the Lefty safety to show up today.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: question : AR triggers - 12/13/18
Ok, then see my comments below in red.

Also, I'd suggest that you pay attention to what Yondering says on these kind of threads; you may not like it or you may not want your gun configured as he does, but he knows what works & his advice is solid.

Good questions. The answer has changed from the time I bought it to now. I didn't .. and don't .. plan to shoot it with anything like the volume of a competitive high power shooter. For that, a quality single stage will be fine; I have several but run them at 3-3.5 lb, most with a half cock notch hammer similar to a 1911 Initially I planned for mostly personal defense at a rural home on a fairly large piece of property. For that, I would highly recommend a good 2-stage like a Geiselle G2S as it's simply less likely not fire until you are really, really ready. My best single stage triggers are SENSITIVE & you need to be very careful when caressing the trigger as there is absolutely zero creep or discernible movement until it goes off The AR has proven unreliable <for me> in critical ways. I don't have confidence in it. It works as designed, but counter to my conditioning, and I keep dropping the magazine when I intend to release the safety. Condition yourself to use your thumb to release the safety & you will not have that problem, likely just a bit mental & need a little practice.........sit in your living room & practice releasing the safety until it just becomes 2nd nature & automatic. Do not use your index finger on the safety, only on the mag release With the more vertical rear grip, the mag release is where I'm used to finding the push button cross-trigger safety. S-H-I-T. frown

So now I'm trying to save it by making it a varmint gun. It has shown that it has the mechanical accuracy. It has also shown that it does not have the practical / field accuracy because of the trigger. It's simple .. I either get it down to a safe and functional pound and a half, preferably less, IMHO, that's too low for an AR & you will surely run the risk of the possibility of slam fires, or worst case, the gun firing when you move the safety off or I'll shoot the rest of the ammo on hand then clean it up and sell it.

At this point, I'm looking at replacements. Most likely will be a marlin lever action .357 or .44. Does the jobs as I need them done in my setting. Possibility of a Mini-14, not because of any advantage other than more familiar ergonomics. They generally shoot patterns, rather than groups, just sayin' wink Dunno. Not happy.

Tom
Posted By: Bwana_1 Re: question : AR triggers - 12/13/18
Safety showed up smile
[Linked Image]
Posted By: rost495 Re: question : AR triggers - 12/13/18

Also, I'd suggest that you pay attention to what Yondering says on these kind of threads; you may not like it or you may not want your gun configured as he does, but he knows what works & his advice is solid.

Good questions. The answer has changed from the time I bought it to now. I didn't .. and don't .. plan to shoot it with anything like the volume of a competitive high power shooter. For that, a quality single stage will be fine; I have several but run them at 3-3.5 lb, most with a half cock notch hammer similar to a 1911 Initially I planned for mostly personal defense at a rural home on a fairly large piece of property. For that, I would highly recommend a good 2-stage like a Geiselle G2S as it's simply less likely not fire until you are really, really ready. My best single stage triggers are SENSITIVE & you need to be very careful when caressing the trigger as there is absolutely zero creep or discernible movement until it goes off The AR has proven unreliable <for me> in critical ways. I don't have confidence in it. It works as designed, but counter to my conditioning, and I keep dropping the magazine when I intend to release the safety. Condition yourself to use your thumb to release the safety & you will not have that problem, likely just a bit mental & need a little practice.........sit in your living room & practice releasing the safety until it just becomes 2nd nature & automatic. Do not use your index finger on the safety, only on the mag release With the more vertical rear grip, the mag release is where I'm used to finding the push button cross-trigger safety. S-H-I-T. frown

So now I'm trying to save it by making it a varmint gun. It has shown that it has the mechanical accuracy. It has also shown that it does not have the practical / field accuracy because of the trigger. It's simple .. I either get it down to a safe and functional pound and a half, preferably less, IMHO, that's too low for an AR & you will surely run the risk of the possibility of slam fires, or worst case, the gun firing when you move the safety off or I'll shoot the rest of the ammo on hand then clean it up and sell it.

At this point, I'm looking at replacements. Most likely will be a marlin lever action .357 or .44. Does the jobs as I need them done in my setting. Possibility of a Mini-14, not because of any advantage other than more familiar ergonomics. They generally shoot patterns, rather than groups, just sayin' wink Dunno. Not happy.

Tom

Well stated. The man that can't adapt to multiple platforms simply isn't trying hard enough IMHO.
Originally Posted by rost495

Tom

Well stated. The man that can't adapt to multiple platforms simply isn't trying hard enough IMHO.

I agree.
Posted By: Yondering Re: question : AR triggers - 12/13/18
TOM, if you really feel that your AR isn't worth owning if you can't get the trigger down to 1.5 lb or lower safely, then just sell it now, it's not for you. That's a pretty unreasonable trigger requirement for any semi auto, and even a lot of factory bolt action triggers. I recommend you not waste your time or ours if that's a serious requirement for you.

In reality though, it sounds like you don't have a feel for what kind of trigger you really need, and don't realize that a 3-4 lb good trigger (either single or two stage) can be very serviceable for most shooters, amateur or professional.

The safety vs mag release thing is a matter of practice and adapting to a different platform. Don't blame the gun for your lack of practice. I dare say most anyone here could make that change with an easy afternoon of dry fire practice and repetition, IF they wanted to. If you're not willing to learn a new platform, just stick to what you know.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: question : AR triggers - 12/14/18
An SSA-E 2-stage at a total of 3.5#'s is a wonder to behold.

Tom

I don't think you would like a trigger that light on an AR, I also think you would slap fire it and fire it when you aren't wanting to. The problem is you haven't shot a good 2 stage. The lightest I would recommend is the geissele high speed match rifle, its got a second stage break that can be less than 1# but unless you are using it for bench only shooting you are going to want that second stage at least 1#. The other one seldom mentioned is trigger tech. its the opposite it has a very light first stage and a heavier break. I would recommend that trigger for off hand shooting and field use.

the reason for the 2 stage trigger is you can have a lighter trigger that way functionally and still be safe. ALSO in pratical use the 2 stage is part of the secret sauce with an AR 15 and hitting with one. its because you just pull the slack up and hit that wall while settling the reticle and its almost like you just think it off and the trigger breaks without thinking about it. Trigger control in the field is the difference between a hit and a miss in the field. it doesn't matter how great your gun is. Don't control the trigger right and you will miss!!. a 2 stage trigger makes that much easier with an AR 15.
Posted By: Bluedreaux Re: question : AR triggers - 12/14/18
Wait, so our choices go from an AR with a 1# trigger to a lever action .357?
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux

And he thought the AR has a bad trigger crazy
Posted By: boatanchor Re: question : AR triggers - 12/14/18
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
the 2 stage is part of the secret sauce with an AR 15 .

Hold the secret sauce on mine sick
Posted By: Tyrone Re: question : AR triggers - 12/14/18
An SSA-E 2-stage at a total of 3.5#'s is a wonder to behold.

There's your 1 1/2lb pull - on the 2nd stage of that trigger!
Posted By: rost495 Re: question : AR triggers - 12/14/18
I use this quote more and more...

If you can't make X work, its simply because you have not put effort into it. IE you don't want it to work.

Same goes for 2 stage. My buddy wanted better AR trigger. Could not deal with 2 stage, would screw up his deer rifle, pistol etc.... I finally built and gave him a good AR with 2 stage RRA varmint, not even tuned. You couldn't buy it from him these days.

On that note, wife and I had never seen a 2 stage before about 89. Since then we've done fairly well in competitive shooting. And we used lots of cross training to help us. 2 stage to pistol both heavy and light, DA and SA, combat and bullseye. 3 and 4 position small bore with tiny ounces triggers. Ounces triggers on 1000 yard bolt guns. Shotguns. Silhouette..... and we've done well enough in each, and I can't recall dropping a mag by accident or not knowing how to use each safety when it comes to it, etc... And as much as we shot the AR15 over the years, 89-05 more or less as we made our way from the M1A over... up to 20K rounds a year, I"ve yet to try to swipe my safety off the 12 ga or the 700s. Or even reach for a safety on the glocks, but I never forget the safety on the 1911... and so it goes.
Posted By: T_O_M Re: question : AR triggers - 12/14/18
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

And he thought the AR has a bad trigger crazy

No .. y' damned fool. Get things straight instead of putting words in my mouth. I don't like the factory AR trigger and I don't like the factory Marlin trigger. I'm not using either one as delivered from the factory. I've got the answer to the Marlin trigger already on the shelf, a Wild West Lever Guns replacement. This one has been in a couple different guns but is homeless. It took my .45-70 guide gun down under a pound with no creep. I kept it when I sold the gun.

What I'm looking for is something comparable for the AR platform.

I might have found something. Timney is offering the Calvin Elite for the AR-15. It lists at 1.5 pounds, non adjustable, single stage. Has anyone shot with one of these yet? I mean actual experience, not merely opinionated armchair quarterbacking?

Tom
If you go with a trigger that light, you'd better have damn good trigger control. If you are the type that immediately releases the trigger after firing, you will get some surprises.
If you go with a trigger that light, you'd better have damn good trigger control. If you are the type that immediately releases the trigger after firing, you will get some surprises.

I'm listening. Explain in more detail, please?
Posted By: TWR Re: question : AR triggers - 12/14/18
Basically bump firing.

I have a buddy that sets his Jewell triggers up so light, I can't fire one shot, it's always 2.
One more thing to consider is hammer spring power.

I hope basic designs have changed since I used a single stage trigger in an AR (a Timney circa 2000 IIRC), but one of the problems I had was that in order to get a pull light enough to be an improvement over a smooth GI trigger, the hammer spring had to be so light that I got ignition problems. I didn't notice it until I put it in an AR10 and it refused to light milsurp 308 100% of the time.

What you should do is get one lot of match grade ammo and chronograph a minimum of 10 rounds with the old trigger and then do the same with the new trigger. If there are ignition problems, it will show up as a increased standard deviation in velocity.
Posted By: rost495 Re: question : AR triggers - 12/14/18
Lets hope it works for ya! For all the folks that have commented, that have gone down that road one way or another, I'd have thought some good info was out there for ya.

FWIW I think if you got a drop in single stage trigger, then 1 pound could work but as noted, you'd better be damn careful. IIRC, and I'm not going back to the top, this was a home gun, last thing I want on a home gun is a light trigger.... but that's your business.
Originally Posted by TWR
Basically bump firing.

Gotcha. Yes, don't want that for my uses.

I'm not planning to mess with it, at least not at this point.

FWIW I think if you got a drop in single stage trigger, then 1 pound could work but as noted, you'd better be damn careful.

Noted! Thank you.

I'll keep studying. Got more shooting to do tomorrow. See what additional input I might get here. Then some time after Christmas I'll stir the info, calculate a bit, and made a decision.

Tom

I'm not planning to mess with it, at least not at this point.

My now very old Timney wouldn't light them as it was from the factory with their "light" spring. Just saying, you may not have to mess with it for it to be too light.
Does changing the trigger alone change hammer fall? Seems counter-intuitive.

I've experienced that issue on DA revolvers when I had a gunsmith trying for the lightest possible SA pull leave me with a very good SA pull but a DA pull that wouldn't reliably fire the gun. He did it by trimming the hammer spring just a bit too much.

Tom
Posted By: Yondering Re: question : AR triggers - 12/14/18

I've got the answer to the Marlin trigger already on the shelf, a Wild West Lever Guns replacement. This one has been in a couple different guns but is homeless. It took my .45-70 guide gun down under a pound with no creep. I kept it when I sold the gun.

Just a guess here, but I'm betting either TOM doesn't actually have a trigger pull gauge, or it reads really light. That same faulty trigger gauge on some of the good AR triggers we use might read at 1 lb or less too...
Does changing the trigger alone change hammer fall? Seems counter-intuitive.

"Changing out the trigger" on an AR is technically just a figure of speech for the purposes of our discussion. When you change an AR trigger, you are in reality replacing the entire fire control group.
Posted By: Bwana_1 Re: question : AR triggers - 12/14/18
Originally Posted by Bwana_1
My new shoes arrived yesterday, waiting for the Lefty safety to show up today.

[Linked Image]

Just got this all installed today, very crisp and possibly lighter than I'm comfortable with...the range will tell. It comes with a second spring, for heavier trigger pull.

Very impressed with the LaRue tho
Originally Posted by Yondering

I've got the answer to the Marlin trigger already on the shelf, a Wild West Lever Guns replacement. This one has been in a couple different guns but is homeless. It took my .45-70 guide gun down under a pound with no creep. I kept it when I sold the gun.

Just a guess here, but I'm betting either TOM doesn't actually have a trigger pull gauge, or it reads really light. That same faulty trigger gauge on some of the good AR triggers we use might read at 1 lb or less too...

Could be, but thats way to light for a lever gun or AR, as far as im concerned.
Posted By: Yondering Re: question : AR triggers - 12/15/18

That's kinda my point - I suspect his lever gun trigger isn't actually that light either, he just thinks it is; the trigger weights he's talking about are pretty ridiculous for anything but a bench gun. It's probably not that much different than a good 3.5 lb single stage AR trigger, IMO.

That's kinda my point - I suspect his lever gun trigger isn't actually that light either, he just thinks it is; the trigger weights he's talking about are pretty ridiculous for anything but a bench gun. It's probably not that much different than a good 3.5 lb single stage AR trigger, IMO.

Yep. I know what you were talking about and agree. There may be something wrong with his trigger pull gauge. You'd also think a guy would know the difference between 1 pound and 3.5 pounds too though, if that were the case. But, if he's had the same trigger pull gauge for a long time, then maybe just maybe he's got it in his mind that it's really 1 pound when it isn't.. Like I said though, if it is really 1 pound, that's far too light for any hunting rifle or AR in my book..

Yep. I know what you were talking about and agree. There may be something wrong with his trigger pull gauge. You'd also think a guy would know the difference between 1 pound and 3.5 pounds too though, if that were the case. But, if he's had the same trigger pull gauge for a long time, then maybe just maybe he's got it in his mind that it's really 1 pound when it isn't.. Like I said though, if it is really 1 pound, that's far too light for any hunting rifle or AR in my book..

If you can't shoot a 3.5 pound trigger well because it's "too heavy", you don't have any business owning a gun.

As for mastering the controls on an AR, everyone of my kids can operate the safety on an AR without dropping the magazine, except the 5 year old, because I haven't started her on AR's yet. They are actually pretty intuitive. The only firearm I can think of that has the safety in a position analogous to the location of the AR's mag release is the FN Five-seveN. If TOM has ten thousand rounds through the 5-7, I could see how he's built up that muscle memory, other wise, I'm at a loss to see how that can't be over come with standard drills.
Posted By: ChrisF Re: question : AR triggers - 12/16/18
Story: I coach Juniors in 10M air. We have a kid that's a pretty good shooter, but has hit a plateau in his scores. He's been asking to have his Anschutz trigger adjusted lighter of late. The other coaches had indulged him previously. When he asked me I tried his trigger, and it is at the limit of safe. I advised him I wouldn't take it lower, but I would work with him to evaluate his technique on the SCATT (electronic trainer) and see if there was a technique "opportunity". I suspect there's an element of grabbing or slapping at the trigger when the sights are lined up. This runs counter to what we are teaching (getting the rifle to settle and adding weight gradually until it breaks).

I'm reading between the lines ie " It's got the accuracy .. from a bench with a bit of cheating it'll shoot under half inch with some loads, but I can't do it without the cheats and I can't do the cheats from field positions."

I think others have alluded to this nicely, but I'll come out and say it more plainly. It sounds like you have a marksmanship problem. I'm not sure what your "cheats" are (mechanical rest, remote trigger?), but if you have to rely on a lighter trigger than is typically used on an AR, it sounds like you're using light weight as a bandaid to compensate for poor technique (sorry but I think this is your better way forward).

That coupled with your confusion on the safety and mag release make me think you might have a "training" opportunity. Maybe you're not willing or able to put in the time...maybe you're right, the AR is not for you. I can tell you having shot the AR in it's most raw form (stock M16A2 with a burst trigger), and in it's most evolved forms, the AR today delivers great accuracy if you're willing/able to spend the time learning it's specific needs. If you live close to me or are willing to travel, I'd spend some time taking a look at what's going on. ...maybe even a SCATT session.

Good luck finding something that fills your needs safely.
Story: I coach Juniors in 10M air. We have a kid that's a pretty good shooter, but has hit a plateau in his scores. He's been asking to have his Anschutz trigger adjusted lighter of late. The other coaches had indulged him previously. When he asked me I tried his trigger, and it is at the limit of safe. I advised him I wouldn't take it lower, but I would work with him to evaluate his technique on the SCATT (electronic trainer) and see if there was a technique "opportunity". I suspect there's an element of grabbing or slapping at the trigger when the sights are lined up. This runs counter to what we are teaching (getting the rifle to settle and adding weight gradually until it breaks).

I'm reading between the lines ie " It's got the accuracy .. from a bench with a bit of cheating it'll shoot under half inch with some loads, but I can't do it without the cheats and I can't do the cheats from field positions."

I think others have alluded to this nicely, but I'll come out and say it more plainly. It sounds like you have a marksmanship problem. I'm not sure what your "cheats" are (mechanical rest, remote trigger?), but if you have to rely on a lighter trigger than is typically used on an AR, it sounds like you're using light weight as a bandaid to compensate for poor technique (sorry but I think this is your better way forward).

That coupled with your confusion on the safety and mag release make me think you might have a "training" opportunity. Maybe you're not willing or able to put in the time...maybe you're right, the AR is not for you. I can tell you having shot the AR in it's most raw form (stock M16A2 with a burst trigger), and in it's most evolved forms, the AR today delivers great accuracy if you're willing/able to spend the time learning it's specific needs. If you live close to me or are willing to travel, I'd spend some time taking a look at what's going on. ...maybe even a SCATT session.

Good luck finding something that fills your needs safely.

Chris, im sure the op will appreciate your honest and sincere post. Hell, im shooting a new rifle right now at the range and its raining like a biotch. Reading your post makes me think there are probably a lot of us here that have developed bad habits along the way. I realize that every time i sit down at the bench, i have to consciously make an effort to make sure every shot is pulled off the same way every time. If not, there may be a flyer or 2 in the group. We see that a lot in our 10 shot groups in these challenges we have here. I think shooting the AR rifle with a good 2 stage trigger has helped my shooting overall. No matter what kind of rifle im shooting. Too bad the op doesnt want to expand his shooting skills and give a good 2 stage trigger and the ar platform a chance.
Posted By: rost495 Re: question : AR triggers - 12/17/18
Chris

Thinking it was 91... M1A doubled in the practice match at Perry. Someone, as I had no clue what was going on, dropped emory cloth in there and drug it... never doubled again.

2 weeks at Perry, went from Expert to Master as the card was almost there when we got home.

Finally found a scale... almost 8 pounds... IIRC I either placed in the top 10 in quite a few NRA matches as Expert, or may have even placed top of class. I could google but don't much care.

Point being, you've made a good point!
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: question : AR triggers - 12/17/18
Having shot some with triggers in ounces range, I have found I develop bad habits.
They allow, or even encourage, slapping. And it's not real noticeable, until you shoot
a normal trigger. Then you see the big jerk.
On the trigger.
Posted By: slm9s Re: question : AR triggers - 12/17/18
no one has said AR Gold?
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Having shot some with triggers in ounces range, I have found I develop bad habits.
They allow, or even encourage, slapping. And it's not real noticeable, until you shoot
a normal trigger. Then you see the big jerk.
On the trigger.

Damn, don't start another big stick thread... eek
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: question : AR triggers - 12/17/18
Maybe we should call him "Flinch"?

(A politically correct term for "involuntary big jerk")
Posted By: jim0149 Re: question : AR triggers - 12/18/18
Buy once cry once SSA-E
Posted By: local_dirt Re: question : AR triggers - 12/18/18
Originally Posted by jim0149
Buy once cry once SSA-E

This. ^^^^

And they're really not that bad when you buy during the holiday sales.
The SSA-E is a great Trigger. Their holidays sales are really good. I just picked up their Single Stag to try out.
Yeah, the SSA-E was $168 the other day. Hard to beat that deal. Heck, for $87.00, the op could give the Larue tactical MBT2S at try. Although, it doesnt seem like hes open to the idea of giving a good 2 stage a try.
Posted By: Bwana_1 Re: question : AR triggers - 12/18/18
I just received the Larue tactical MBT2S, $94 shipped...2 week wait
Posted By: rovert Re: question : AR triggers - 12/19/18
Originally Posted by Captain

This.

Yep
Posted By: Bluedreaux Re: question : AR triggers - 12/22/18
Has anyone tried the Geiselle single stage trigger (the new one, not the 3Gun trigger)?
Has anyone tried the Geiselle single stage trigger (the new one, not the 3Gun trigger)?

Yes. We have ten or twelve. What are you looking for?
Originally Posted by Formidilosus

What do you personally think?

Good, bad, Indifferent?

What would you use it for, and for what purposes would you not use it?
Posted By: Bluedreaux Re: question : AR triggers - 12/22/18
Originally Posted by Formidilosus

Just curious what you think. I don’t like a 2 stage for match use but their 3G trigger isn’t ideal either.

BTW Proctor is coming in April.

I just bought one on the black friday sale. Haven't installed it yet.
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

What do you personally think?

Good, bad, Indifferent?

What would you use it for, and for what purposes would you not use it?

Good for what it was designed for- speed shooting. For 3-gun, etc. I like it very much. For precision shooting it does have discernible creep if you are sensitive to it.

Just curious what you think. I don’t like a 2 stage for match use but their 3G trigger isn’t ideal either.

BTW Proctor is coming in April.

It’s completely different than the 3-gun trigger. As above, I like it for speed shooting. Super quick, short, and heavy reset.

Pistol or rifle class with Frank?
Thanks.

I appreciate the report.
Posted By: Bluedreaux Re: question : AR triggers - 12/24/18
Not sure yet, Form. He'll be at the TTPOA Conference but registration won't open until next week. We're working on getting him to stay for another few days for a competition pistol class and shoot a L2 match in Houston that's around that time.
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: question : AR triggers - 12/24/18
The best single stage triggers I own & have used are the Elftmann Match & the Rise RA-535.

I find no discernible creep in either one & the Elftmann is set to just over 3 lb & is adjustable, reset is very quick & solid.

The Rise is not adjustable & breaks at 4 lb, is extremely crisp & also has a very fast & solid reset.

But for truly precision shooting in my LR type guns, I really prefer a 2 stage trigger, either an SSA-E or a re-sprung SSA works fine for me.

MM
I picked up the Elftmann at a gunshow in one of their open display grips. I dropped it on the table from about 2 feet and it went off. I put it back on the table and walked away.
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: question : AR triggers - 12/24/18
I picked up the Elftmann at a gunshow in one of their open display grips. I dropped it on the table from about 2 feet and it went off. I put it back on the table and walked away.

Not sure about the display's relationship to being in a rifle, so really can't comment other than to say, you do know that Elf's have a half-cock notch like a 1911 so it's very possible for the hammer to drop to the half cock notch & not drop all the way to fire?

I've knocked mine over from standing up a couple of times to test (simulate just getting knocked over) it & it's not dropped to the fire position.

MM
Posted By: Big Stick Re: question : AR triggers - 12/26/18
Was gunning CMC's on 22LR,17HMR(2),17 Whizzum and 224 Grendel Krunchentickers today.

The SSA-E is the biggest piece of fhuqking schit,I've ever seen/shot.......................
Posted By: Tyrone Re: question : AR triggers - 12/26/18
Originally Posted by Big Stick
The SSA-E is the biggest piece of fhuqking schit,I've ever seen/shot.......................

If you can't hit with an SSA-E, well, you just suck.

Merry Christmas!

Not sure about the display's relationship to being in a rifle, so really can't comment other than to say, you do know that Elf's have a half-cock notch like a 1911 so it's very possible for the hammer to drop to the half cock notch & not drop all the way to fire?

I've knocked mine over from standing up a couple of times to test (simulate just getting knocked over) it & it's not dropped to the fire position.

MM

MM,

I did not know that. This one dropped all the way. Of course, this was a sample of one...

I think it may have had something to do with the angle at which it hit, I've dropped other Elf's flat on a flat surface and did not get the same result. The one mentioned above hit at an odd angle, and to be fair, you are right, it was not in an actual receiver.

Merry Christmas!

I missed on an SSA-E the other day. Added one to my cart at PSA for $156.00. Went to check out, and it that time, price jumped back to $240.00 Guess I'll just have to be patient for a bit longer.

Merry Christmas!

Pardon my being afforded the luxury,of not being forced to guess. Hint.

[Linked Image]

Just how "loud" is your Imagination,when you "shoot" it?!? Congratulations?!?

Bless your heart.

Laughing!.................
Posted By: Tyrone Re: question : AR triggers - 12/26/18
Couldn't figure out how to install it in the lower?
Daunting! You poor poor(literally) CLUELESS Fhuqk. Hint. Laughing!

[Linked Image]

SSA-E after first day of use. Hint.

[Linked Image]

Yesssssss...CLP'd. Hint.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Rusted up,over-hyped biggest piece of fhuqking schit I've ever seen. Luckily Fall hours are a "wee" bit shorter,than a mid-summer one. Hint. LAUGHING!

But,do be SURE to "tell" me "more".

Hint.

Bless your heart.

Laughing!.....................
Posted By: Big Stick Re: question : AR triggers - 12/27/18
Got pretty fhuqking quiet.

LAUGHING!.....................
Posted By: TWR Re: question : AR triggers - 12/27/18
I guess aluminum and plastic is your friend? wink

I've got 5 G2S's and wouldn't trade em for 10 cassette type triggers but I'm glad you like em. Simple enough.
I'm not guessing.

Hint..................
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: question : AR triggers - 12/27/18
Gonna be nice, it the season and all.

Hey! Little Twig.

grin

Yep. Didn't need to say that.
DealinSuck,

What else can you "do",besides suck ass,read about wares you ain't got and fawn the pictures of same? Hint. Congratulations?!?

Bless your heart.

Laughing!....................
Posted By: jimmyp Re: question : AR triggers - 12/27/18
I have 4 or 5 SSA-E triggers and a Rock River NM trigger, I tried an AR gold trigger but did not like it and returned it after testing it in my rifle, they allowed the return. I have been wanting to try a CMC 3 pound trigger but have 3 projects ahead of it now. For a general purpose trigger for hunting plus use in a rifle that you might want to use in an emergency, and some firing at paper the SSA-E has been much better than a standard Colt trigger or any of the standard triggers that come with rifles these days. My rifles that I shot in the challenge a couple of years ago were equipped with SSA-E triggers, probably a handicap based on my performance, as best I could do was just over a MOA for 20 rounds in two rifles.
Never even heard of CMC.

Laughing!..................
Posted By: Tyrone Re: question : AR triggers - 12/27/18
So you [bleep] up another piece of equipment?
I'm supposed to be surprised?
I use wares that are beyond your" means",in a manner beyond your "abilities"...which "surprises" only you. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Bless your heart.

Laughing!.................
Maybe you should stick to USGI triggers. They are Parkerized to prevent rust. Because they are Parkered, they are gritty. Marines can't break them, so they should last you a couple days.

I'd love to see some of the scores you've shot. Animals are big targets and don't take much skill.
Originally Posted by jimmyp
I tried an AR gold trigger but did not like it and returned it after testing it in my rifle, they allowed the return.

Jimmy,

What was it about the AR Gold trigger that you didn't like?
Maybe you should stick to USGI triggers. They are Parkerized to prevent rust. Because they are Parkered, they are gritty. Marines can't break them, so they should last you a couple days.

I'd love to see some of the scores you've shot. Animals are big targets and don't take much skill.

Parkerizing does NOT induce Dog Schit results...other than your Imagination and it's Pretend. Hint.

I've less than zero concern,what Ladies on manicured lawns "shoot" and am more than a touchy "comfy" in my R&D critiques of wares,well beyond your "means" and "abilities". Hint.

We have (1) thing in common,in that neither of us has seen anybody better with a rifle,than I.

Hint.

Congratulations?!?......................
We have (1) thing in common,in that neither of us has seen anybody better with a rifle,than I.

Hint.

HAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!

That's a good one! laugh

Lucky for you a deer is about 18 MOA @ 100.
Posted By: rost495 Re: question : AR triggers - 12/27/18
I guess it was bound to happen.
Posted By: Bluedreaux Re: question : AR triggers - 12/27/18
Why is anyone even commenting? If you ignore him he’ll go away.
I guess it was bound to happen.

Oh look BS, there's *another* one who shoots better than you.

Good day, Mr. Rost!

BTW, Mr. Rost, will you be giving BS shooting lessons when you make your way to AK? He could use them. smile

What? Miss the fun? smile
I tried an AR gold trigger but did not like it and returned it after testing it in my rifle, they allowed the return.

Jimmy,

I’ve also tried them and didn’t like them. They’ve got some pre-travel before a very crisp break. Almost identical to a 1911 trigger. The people who like them LOVE them. I’m sure I could have gotten used to it, but it’s not that good of a trigger to warrant a learning curve.

What? Miss the fun? smile

Adults are trying to have a conversation.
As you wish.
At least Imagination and Pretend are free...so you can "afford" to "contribute".

Bless your heart.

Laughing!................
Posted By: 14Homer Re: question : AR triggers - 12/28/18

Parkerizing does NOT induce Dog Schit results...other than your Imagination and it's Pretend. Hint.

I've less than zero concern,what Ladies on manicured lawns "shoot" and am more than a touchy "comfy" in my R&D critiques of wares,well beyond your "means" and "abilities". Hint.

Hint.

Just out of curiosity would you please post something that would back up your claim on being the best shot. A NRA classification card or even better a picture of you receiving your trophy at the Nationals. I see you write a lot about how you think are the best shot but don't ever see any proof that you are. How about this - we both live in Alaska so why don't we get together and shoot in the Alaska State High-power rifle match. I would like to meet you in person.
Posted By: Big Stick Re: question : AR triggers - 12/28/18
Find me "mistaken".

Hint.

It will be fhuqking FUNNY.

Re-hint.

As you feverishly nip heels and sniff my shorts.................
Posted By: Bluedreaux Re: question : AR triggers - 12/28/18
Please stop, people.
Pardon Facts,colliding with your Fantasy.

Hint.

Bless your heart.

LAUGHING!...............
Posted By: Bwana_1 Re: question : AR triggers - 12/28/18
Please stop, people.
Some ask questions.

Pardon my KNOWING.

Hint...............

Jimmy,

I’ve also tried them and didn’t like them. They’ve got some pre-travel before a very crisp break. Almost identical to a 1911 trigger. The people who like them LOVE them. I’m sure I could have gotten used to it, but it’s not that good of a trigger to warrant a learning curve.

Thanks Blue, I appreciate the feed back.
Posted By: armedferret Re: question : AR triggers - 01/04/19
Just to add to the fire, I have a CMC single-stage that got moved to a different, less-used range toy build. It was in my .300BLK SBR, and my original load for subsonics was using IMR4895. Unfortunately, there was a *LOT* of unburned powder and I wasn't really concerning m'self on massively thorough cleanings every range trip. The trigger got unburned powder, CLP, and carbon mixed up inside its inner workings, and as it's a cassette style drop-in, got gummed up pretty good, which first started with the first round of any string (regardless of length) being a 2-3 MOA flyer, eventually resulting in the trigger hammer refusing to drop. I'm using Lil Gun for supers *AND* subs out of that gun now, so no more worries with that, but it also has a G2S-E inside it now which is much better.

It's a good trigger, just rather maintenance-queen-esque, so it's not a good choice for a heavy-use or low-cleaning-regimen rifle.
© 24hourcampfire