Home
What is your preferred barrel length? I appreciate your feed back. Thank-you.
20" in both 224 and 243 Grendel.

Hint...............
18" I only have the 6.5 Grendel. For me it was the perfect length. I had a 22" and a 20" got rid of those and stuck with the 18"
20"
12.5" for me. Even at medium-long range (600+ yards) it's still easier to hit with in the wind than a 223.
i have a 16 and my brother has a 22. I wanted the 16 because I wanted a light handy rifle I could move easily in tents and blinds and it not get in the way. my brother wanted the 22 to try and reach distant target more easily. where he could carry a little more energy at distance. they are both nice shooting and about the same as far as accuracy goes. mine just has a little more drop than his.
I like a longer barrel, mine's a 20", simply because the extra 4" gives you an extra 75-100fps. Grendel is more of a long range caliber than most and the extra velocity just makes it "that much mo' betta".
My 18" barrel Grendel has no problem banging steel out at distance. It really didn't give up anything from the 22" or 20" barrels I had. I think 18" in my build balances best. It is light enough and fast enough to deploy. I think if you really want to squeak out everything then 22" is the way to go. But for my purpose and shooting ranges the 18" gives up nothing. I have taken it out to 900 yards without a problem. Where I shoot I can go longer but just haven't gotten consistent enough yet on the 900 Yard steel. The wind there can change several times between me and the target.
?Is anybody familiar with Bear Creek Arsenal uppers and their quality? My neighbor bought a 6.5 Grendel upper from them that we are trying to get to shoot consistent groups.
Their barrels are second rate---at best.
Originally Posted by RiverRider
With my limited experience with a total of one belonging to my neighbor, I concur.
The word is that some shoot OK. Many others, not so much.
Originally Posted by Hastings
?Is anybody familiar with Bear Creek Arsenal uppers and their quality? My neighbor bought a 6.5 Grendel upper from them that we are trying to get to shoot consistent groups.

They are the lowest priced gear available for a reason.

There are lots of exceptions to the "you get what you pay for" theory, but Bear Creek is not one of them.
I told my neighbor to send it back or sell it to someone he doesn't like. If after it gets "broken in" the 6 inch groups get cut in half, that"s not good enough.
Originally Posted by RiverRider

Calling them second rate is being really generous......

If the goal is small groups, my first step would be to replace that barrel.

Stick claims there are good for the money.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa...8-stainless-steel-barrel-5165448708.html

I'd consider one as a potential replacement (or if your buddy prefers the 18" version for the same price) on that recommendation alone.
I was considering making a another thread when I saw this one. With the OP pardon, what company do you folks believe is a good/better/best company to get a 6.5 Grendel upper from? My very petite daughter can hunt this coming season and while I thought about a bolt action I feel the adjustable stock on my RRA AR will suite her better.
Build exactly what you want its super simple and to me part of the fun of AR's.
I’ve enjoyed my AA upper, 18”. Accurate and lightweight
Building a 16" for the wife and a 12-ish inch for myself. May end up with a second upper though to avoid having to do a form 20 if i wanna go somewhere to shoot it. Can take the can easily enough, those don't need a form 20.
I'm thinking about adding a PSA 20" grendel upper for caribou hunting. Should be good medicine at reasonable ranges. My youngest boy would have no problems shooting that.
I've got the PSA 20" upper and it does great. No function issues and it shoots 123 scenars (among others) great. I think I'd pick the 18" if I did it over again but plenty happy with the 20", especially considering how cheap it was. I don't have any concern taking game with it at reasonable distances and it has performed well. As mentioned above, the .243 version looks even better but i'm happy with mine for what i've got in it. Cheap lower, timney trigger, psa upper, PEPR mount, and SS 6x.
Both the 6 and 22 versions are more appealing to me. But I built up a couple uppers when the 6.5 came out. All three are great in my opinion for AR15's.
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
Both the 6 and 22 versions are more appealing to me. But I built up a couple uppers when the 6.5 came out. All three are great in my opinion for AR15's.

Well seeing that I don’t reload yet, the 6.5 seems like a better choice. I’ve got too many irons in the fire to start that right now. I don’t get to shoot enough anyways. I think the Grendel would be just fine for caribou. For $350 one of those PSA uppers would be an easy choice if they shoot decent.
Yup the 6.5 is your ticket
88 ELD's at 2800fps,with 27grs of powder ala 224 Grendel.

[Linked Image]

Hint...............
© 24hourcampfire