Home
Posted By: Alabama Cmmg 22lr conversion - 02/14/19
Purchased and yet to receive CMMG 22 lr bravo conversion for my AR. Most say to shoot 36 gr copper Rn. I would like to know if anyone has experience with one of these, what kind of realibilty they’ve experienced, accuracy and type of cartridge being shot.

I’m looking forward to trying it out. Came with 3 10 rd mags. Wish it was the larger capacity 25,s. Would seem that there should be mags available that would hold 50 plus.
Posted By: Terryk Re: Cmmg 22lr conversion - 02/14/19
I have a similar unit from Colt in 1988. The issue is the twist and diameter in the AR15 barrel. In my case the twist was 1/7, and a bit too big. So really no accuracy. I tried different ammo, and it still sucked. So I have not shot it in 20 years. I guess the barrel should be 1/16 twist.
Posted By: Tyrone Re: Cmmg 22lr conversion - 02/14/19
They are best built into a dedicated upper.
Posted By: Terryk Re: Cmmg 22lr conversion - 02/14/19
Turn key option, just needs magazines

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa...ightweight-m-lok-upper-with-bcg-ch1.html
Posted By: TomT Re: Cmmg 22lr conversion - 02/15/19
Just another suggestion (and I haven't actually tried it yet), but when I was looking into converting an AR-15 into 22LR, this Aguila 60gr sniper subsonic ammo (link below) was suggested. It's slow, but I believe the 60grain bullet weight will stabilize in 1:7-1:9 twist barrels.

https://www.aguilaammo.com/rimfire/

YOU HAVE TO CLICK ON THE "SPECIAL" TAB

If anyones actually shot it, please let me/us know. THANKS! -TomT
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Cmmg 22lr conversion - 02/15/19
Dedicated is where it's at,due bore sizing...amongst others.

[Linked Image]

Hint...........
Posted By: sandcritter Re: Cmmg 22lr conversion - 02/16/19
Cmmg conversion with a dedicated rimfire barrel is the way to go. Their design does benefit from keeping the spring/buffer install (for tension, not recoil) though can save a few ounces going with shorter spring and poly spacer. Rest is just basic “ar” stuff. Note the bolt release is inop on these; just for looks if install that. Also, the 10rd mags tend to be more reliable than the 25’s, etc. Plastic feed lips vs cast feed lips feed the same; i use cast for the sake of knocking around. Heck of a lot of fun. Never be as fast in competion vs a 10/22 due to weight, but, i prefer them anyway. Mine runs trouble free on “cci AR”, blazer in a pinch, or mini mags in a pinch. Dirty azz fed automatch is one thing it will puke on reliably so maybe steer clear of that one.

Ps remember you wont have as much rearward mass (bolt, ammo, maybe buffer) so consider pencil profile barrel or even less to balance (too, mind your handguard weight). ADCO or whoever can turn your barrel profile down if choose
Posted By: montanabadger Re: Cmmg 22lr conversion - 02/16/19
I have one, my AR has a 9 twist. I managed to find one load that would group about 1- 1/2" at 50 yards. You'll have to try different brands and bullet weights till you find the one it likes the best. The slower the barrel twist, the better they are likely to shoot. Good luck.
© 24hourcampfire