Home
Posted By: BeanMan Mini 14? - 03/02/19
I handled a Ruger Mini 14 #583 the other day. It really ‘felt’ great and now I kind of have the itch to own one. In researching on line it seems like the newer ones with 583 serial numbers might be more accurate than the previous ones. Anyone have experience that they would care to share?
Posted By: Orville Re: Mini 14? - 03/02/19
the people on this place are negatives of them, but this is cause of they had not owned one or did they shots them. Its been many a fact how thiese rilfes are so much the betters of this and the blackish gun which can come in all colors now. Get one quick before they makes the guns illegla due to the guudness of it.
Posted By: jimmyp Re: Mini 14? - 03/02/19
don't pay any attention to that moron, the mini 14 is indisputably inferior to the ar15, even a cheap PSA will probably still out shoot any new model box stock mini. Also don't break a firing pin on cheap ammo, as you have to send the gun back to ruger to get it fixed.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Mini 14? - 03/02/19
Originally Posted by jimmyp
don't pay any attention to that moron, the mini 14 is indisputably inferior to the ar15, even a cheap PSA will probably still out shoot any new model box stock mini. Also don't break a firing pin on cheap ammo, as you have to send the gun back to ruger to get it fixed.

Yep, unless they been worked on...

Accuracy Systems full house, back before it became so expensive.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: patberg Re: Mini 14? - 03/02/19
Nothing wrong with the newer mini-14. I have one and wouldn't give it up for just about anything. I have 9 ARs and think they are overated, mini-14 is more fun to shoot and just about as accurate. Try it you will like it.
Posted By: jimmyp Re: Mini 14? - 03/02/19
anyone shoot a mini 14 in the challenge yet? I have shot it a few times during the photobucket era with two of my overrated AR15's, I suppose I need to shoot it again, but if any of you mini 14 aficinando's have the guts to shoot your gun two 10 shot groups at 100 yards I will shut up if you produce anything under 3 MOA with any ammunition of your choice. . That is except of course if you have spent a $1000 fixing the guns problems. If your not willing to shoot the challenge we understand.
Posted By: Orville Re: Mini 14? - 03/02/19
this hear is why those who try to uses phisics will never get to the points of goodness for the mini. One could have much pride in its wood and steel, it could be poor accurate like mine are and then why do you care, its not of plastic and cheap metal such as those ars. Mostly people own guns for the like of that gun, those who do are many times said to be of a stupid nature, however badly they like what the guns that they got. Mini 14 +400 percentages.
Posted By: Son_of_the_Gael Re: Mini 14? - 03/02/19
I always wanted to like the Mini's, but I fired one belonging to my nephew some years back, horribly inaccurate. To be fair it was one of the pre-583 guns, the new ones are supposed to be better.

Unfortunately it looks like a new Mini is a couple of hundred dollars more expensive than your average civilian AR. And then there is the price of magazines, Mini's are about twice the price of a good AR mag. I guess I'll stick with AR's.

But of course Mini's aren't as evil as AR's, if you live in one of "those" states.
Posted By: dale06 Re: Mini 14? - 03/03/19
Two friends have mini 14s, but the older ones. Both were poor accuracy wise. Both have been rebarreled and accurized, and they are pretty accurate now.
The cost of these modified mini 14s exceeds the cost of AR 15s.
Not what you asked, but I’d get an AR and I believe have a better chance on accuracy, and you’ll have pretty much an unlimited array of accessories.
Good luck.
Posted By: Terryk Re: Mini 14? - 03/03/19
I had a stainless factory folder in the 1980s, before AR15s were popular. I tried to get that mini to shoot, but could not get it to shoot accurately. I got a Colt Ar15 HBar in 1986, and the mini went down the road quick. The Mini 14 folder I had was pretty nice except for the inaccuracy issues. I don't think I would buy one now because the first one was so disappointing.
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: Mini 14? - 03/03/19
Originally Posted by BeanMan
I handled a Ruger Mini 14 #583 the other day. It really ‘felt’ great and now I kind of have the itch to own one. In researching on line it seems like the newer ones with 583 serial numbers might be more accurate than the previous ones. Anyone have experience that they would care to share?
The Mini 14 is no longer popular for good reason. I've owned at least a half-dozen of them going back to a beautifully wooded stainless model before they even put the plastic forend on them. They seemed like a good idea at the time, since you never saw an AR for sale and nobody knew how inaccurate Mini's were. Lots of guys around here had them.

The new ones are supposedly a lot more accurate. I fail to see the point though since the ones I've seen were all higher than low-end AR's which would all still outshoot them. About the only thing a Mini is good for is for grandpa to have because he hates AR's for some reason. And then, they're best stood in a corner and not used. Hell, people quit them back in the day because they were $300 and a brand new SKS was under $100 and would beat a Mini every day of the week.
Posted By: colodog Re: Mini 14? - 03/03/19
I've only owned two, the first was an early skinny barrel blued/wood rifle that didn't impress me with it's accuracy but I was using 55gr 223 ammo.
The second is a skinny barrel stainless/wood rifle from the '90 that i bought from a buddy that needed cash.
The only ammo I feed it is IMI Razor Core 69gr HPBT and it's shot surprisingly well and has earned a place in the safe.

It's not a target rifle but a coyote sized target would be in serious trouble at 200yds, that'll do for my needs but I didn't pay a bunch for it either...
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Mini 14? - 03/03/19
Ha ha. This grandpa has had a slight itch for one for years, but never bit. I did finally try an AR, but just didn't care for the platform. Then my father gave me a nice .30 carbine, which scratched the itch and has nostalgia to boot. I'm good now.
Posted By: kwg020 Re: Mini 14? - 03/04/19
I have a 580 with the improved barrel. There is a world of difference between the old pre 580 series and the latest edition the 584. They are not target rifles but they are good solid guns. One of the reasons why they are so expensive is there is huge demand for them in the AR banned states. If you live in a free State consider yourself lucky. The Mini is still a fine gun but plan on paying a premium and expect 2 MOA at 100 yards.

Go to perfectunion.com for more information.

kwg
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: Mini 14? - 03/04/19
Originally Posted by kwg020
I have a 580 with the improved barrel. There is a world of difference between the old pre 580 series and the latest edition the 584. They are not target rifles but they are good solid guns. One of the reasons why they are so expensive is there is huge demand for them in the AR banned states. If you live in a free State consider yourself lucky. The Mini is still a fine gun but plan on paying a premium and expect 2 MOA at 100 yards.

kwg
I would certainly rather have a Mini instead of nothing, were I to live in such a state. I wasn't aware that there were any. It would seem that the mags above ten or so rounds would be banned in such states too, then again if the commies in those states were smart, they'd have banned the Mini along with the AR's.
Posted By: chesterpulley Re: Mini 14? - 03/04/19
Guess I'll be the odd man out and stand up for the Mini. I've had a couple over the years and once you get the sights regulated (which can be a chore) they do okay. MOA? Hell no, but they do have practical accuracy. They'll stay center mass on a full size silhouette target at 200 yards and digest a mag full of ammo that won't even chamber in an AR.

If you're looking for gilt edged accuracy the Mini isn't for you, if you want a reliable knockabout gun they're worth a look - provided the price is reasonable.
Posted By: jimmyp Re: Mini 14? - 03/04/19
they would be great at $350 a copy, and with magazines at $20 a copy.
Posted By: deflave Re: Mini 14? - 03/04/19
I like Mini 14's when used in conjunction with the five round flush mags.

That is a light, ergonomic sumbitch to have in your for a long walk. People say they're inaccurate and they probably are in comparison to other things. I still wouldn't want me shooting one at myself. And they're certainly not any less accurate than most AK's and everybody seems to love those pieces of schit.
Posted By: Lennie Re: Mini 14? - 03/04/19
Originally Posted by deflave

That is a light, ergonomic sumbitch to have in your for a long walk. People say they're inaccurate and they probably are in comparison to other things. I still wouldn't want me shooting one at myself. And they're certainly not any less accurate than most AK's and everybody seems to love those pieces of schit.

So true. Mini 14s were designed to be a practical carbine with high reliability and to be capable of military accuracy. Accuracy wise, they are equal to an out of the box M1 or Garand. In the world of combat arms, many militaries feel there are many more reliable weapons than a gas impingement AR platform. Firearms like an M1, AK or the Mini 14 will tend to not be MOA shooters because of the gas piston design and the influence it has on the barrel.
Posted By: Paul39 Re: Mini 14? - 03/04/19

I've seen a couple at our range, and was impressed. I'm old school, and can't love the ergonomics of the AR types.

However, the deal killer for me and the Mini-14 is the need to clean from the muzzle, and the cost/value.

Paul
Posted By: Tyrone Re: Mini 14? - 03/04/19
The Mini gas system has NO RESEMBLANCE to the M1 Garand or M14 gas system.

The Mini is based on the M1 Carbine gas system.

An M14 or M1 Garand usually shoot better than a Mini and, if tuned, are far & away more accurate than a Mini. A new, out-of-the-box M14 or M1 Garand will do 2 MOA or better with good ammo.

I have several Minis, I like them, but to me they are cheap 22 Long Rifles, but with 1,000 Ft Lbs of energy.
I would never consider one as a self defense rifle unless that's all I had.
Posted By: TWR Re: Mini 14? - 03/04/19
I've had a half dozen mini-14's in my time from the first model with the wooden op rod cover to ranch rifles and they are what they are. Accurate enough for iron use and reliable enough for those that don't push them hard.

I forget which trainer it was but he stated he had never seen a mini 14 make it through one of his class's. I never had any problems with mine but the AR just offers everything in one package.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Mini 14? - 03/04/19
No doubt you get more accuracy per dollar with an AR.

I have both, like the way a Mini handles, especially the one I posted.

The new target Mini shoots pretty good, expect I don't like the heavy chunk of steel they hung on the end of the barrel.

I guess it helps with accuracy.

My custom Mini has triple point bedding, fast twist custom SS barrel and a great trigger.

Ruger could do more with the bedding, IMO. That seems to make a big difference as does barrel quality. Ruger is now making great barrels in house, hammer forged.

DF
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Mini 14? - 03/05/19
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Ha ha. This grandpa has had a slight itch for one for years, but never bit. I did finally try an AR, but just didn't care for the platform. Then my father gave me a nice .30 carbine, which scratched the itch and has nostalgia to boot. I'm good now.

This .30 carbine does scratch an itch pretty good. smile
Posted By: NVhntr Re: Mini 14? - 03/05/19
I have a Mini. I lean it in the corner next to my .270 when I make a sammich with Miracle Whip or put beans in my chili.
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: Mini 14? - 03/05/19
Originally Posted by NVhntr
I have a Mini. I lean it in the corner next to my .270 when I make a sammich with Miracle Whip or put beans in my chili.
Good man. Get some.
Posted By: Dantheman Re: Mini 14? - 03/05/19
All of the various manufacturer's of AR15's created competition over the years which kept the AR15's prices low.
That's ultimately what put the Mini 14 on everyone's back burner.

The MIni is a nice , light, handy carbine. When it could be had at half the price of an AR15 it was great and it's shortcomings could be forgiven.

That's ultimately why the MIni14 isn't so great anymore...value. It's just not as great a value for what you can get compared to an AR15.

Dan
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Mini 14? - 03/05/19
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Originally Posted by Pappy348

This .30 carbine does scratch an itch pretty good. smile

Have yet to shoot it, but the ergos are dandy. Been looking for a no-drill base or rail for a red dot or the See All.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Mini 14? - 03/05/19
I hear ya. I wouldn't drill mine (1944 Inland).
Posted By: j2dogs Re: Mini 14? - 03/05/19
I don't know about the mini 14, but the mini 30 with a barrel stabilizer and a gun-smithed muzzle brake will out shoot any ak or sks. Mine is one of the old ones. On a good day with good ammo, it will shoot 1.5 moa.
Posted By: 405joe Re: Mini 14? - 03/05/19
I have a mini 6.8spc stainless and from a bench with careful shooting form it will clover leaf the first three @ 100 yds. After that all bets are off, she strings like crazy! But for a truck gun it’s always functioned flawlessly. Don’t think It would shoot that good offhand in a quick snapshot situation though. The trigger leaves a lot to be desired.
Posted By: kwg020 Re: Mini 14? - 03/06/19
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards

kwg
I would certainly rather have a Mini instead of nothing, were I to live in such a state. I wasn't aware that there were any. It would seem that the mags above ten or so rounds would be banned in such states too, then again if the commies in those states were smart, they'd have banned the Mini along with the AR's.

Remember when Bill Ruger worked a deal he would not sell high capacity magazines just prior to the 1994 Assault Weapons Ban ? That is what kept the Mini 14 off the banned list. They also do not have pistol grips and most do not have flash hiders. They survived the 1994 law because Bill worked a deal. It wasn't until 2005 that Ruger introduced the improved barrel. The new style of barrel 16 inch Tactical is probably the most accurate Mini on the market followed by the new 18.5 inch guns. They will never be as accurate as the AR's but Ruger has finally got it figured out. Buying a Ruger 10 round magazine is also an expensive issue. If you find one they are typically a couple of dollars more than the 20's or even 30's.

kwg
Posted By: K1500 Re: Mini 14? - 03/06/19

This. If you like the form and ergos of a mini, I would buy one. They are not going to be as accurate as a run of the mill AR, but they are handy, neat, accurate enough for most purposes, and are generally reliable. I have both minis and AR's and I like the mini better for a knock around camping gun and a range gun. I love AR's better when shooting for groups and at distance. I shoot the Mini much more often than the ar on range days, and I use the mini much more often in the woods.
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: Mini 14? - 03/06/19

kwg

Remember when Bill Ruger worked a deal he would not sell high capacity magazines just prior to the 1994 Assault Weapons Ban ? That is what kept the Mini 14 off the banned list. They also do not have pistol grips and most do not have flash hiders. They survived the 1994 law because Bill worked a deal. It wasn't until 2005 that Ruger introduced the improved barrel. The new style of barrel 16 inch Tactical is probably the most accurate Mini on the market followed by the new 18.5 inch guns. They will never be as accurate as the AR's but Ruger has finally got it figured out. Buying a Ruger 10 round magazine is also an expensive issue. If you find one they are typically a couple of dollars more than the 20's or even 30's.

kwg
Now that you mention it, I do remember that. But S&W = bad; Rooger = good. Wtf? The bottom-line is, why pay more for an inferior weapon?
Posted By: kwg020 Re: Mini 14? - 03/07/19

kwg

kwg
Now that you mention it, I do remember that. But S&W = bad; Rooger = good. Wtf? The bottom-line is, why pay more for an inferior weapon?

I would not call the new Mini 14's inferior if your only criteria is MOA accuracy because they have other attributes. Especially the new ones. I would call them different. For the folks in the banned States, they are pretty much the only option if you want a semi auto .223.

kwg
Posted By: Wyodogger Re: Mini 14? - 03/07/19
"About the only thing a Mini is good for is for grandpa to have because he hates AR's for some reason." LMAO!

My old Mini shoots patterns, not groups, but it's fun to take to the range occasionally. If I want to shoot ground squirrels, however, I need my AR.
Posted By: MOGC Re: Mini 14? - 03/08/19
I go to the range to shoot guns and hit targets. Mini 14 shooters only get half the fun.
Posted By: Blackheart Re: Mini 14? - 03/08/19
My brothers both have new mini's and they're both plenty accurate for what they are. I've watched them shoot multiple 5 shot groups under 2" at 100 yards. My AR-15 {Spikes} will do 1.5" easily. Both handle like shyt and are uglier than homemade soap. Unless I'm going to war or being attacked by hordes of zombies I'd much rather carry one of my Winchester or Marlin lever guns or any of my bolt guns.
Posted By: kwg020 Re: Mini 14? - 03/08/19
Originally Posted by Paul39

I've seen a couple at our range, and was impressed. I'm old school, and can't love the ergonomics of the AR types.

However, the deal killer for me and the Mini-14 is the need to clean from the muzzle, and the cost/value.

Paul

Hello Paul

I have a cable that you run through from the breech end and pull it out via the muzzle. I also have a bore snake I take to the range with me and pull it thought every so often if I think accuracy is going south. I try to avoid cleaning from the muzzle end to avoid any wear.
kwg
Posted By: JRS3 Re: Mini 14? - 03/09/19
When I was growing up, a Mini 14 was THE gun to have deer hunting with dogs. I havent hunted deer with dogs or shot a Mini 14 in 15+ years but have a lot of fond memories from both. They were accurate enough but never a precision rifle by any means but a ton of fun. I sold off the minis for ARs but am itching for another mini just becuase. A low power variable scope on them was ideal.

I have ARs and use them for all sorts of hunting but a mini 14 handled very well and I do miss them. Maybe a worked over Mini 14 will be next on my list
Posted By: deflave Re: Mini 14? - 03/09/19
Originally Posted by Paul39

Paul

Pffftt.

Get a bore snake in case you get water down the tube. Otherwise it's a non-issue.
Posted By: night_owl Re: Mini 14? - 03/09/19
Mini 14 has poor balance and is top heavy.
Second rate accuracy at best.
Posted By: NVhntr Re: Mini 14? - 03/09/19
My first .223 was a Mini 14 and the son and I spent many enjoyable days plinking with it. The rocks, tin cans, water melons, and clay pigeons had no idea they were being attacked by such a POS weapon and died anyway. It's still in the safe, gets shot occasionally, and It's not going anywhere. It did take some work to get it to shoot reasonably accurate, but working on guns is a hobby I enjoy.
Posted By: Roystu Re: Mini 14? - 03/10/19
I had one of the earlier versions and wouldn't hit squat. I hope the newer ones shoot better cause they aren't cheap
Posted By: FreeMe Re: Mini 14? - 03/10/19

^ This.

And cleaning the bore is pretty much a non-issue. Cleaning the chamber, even less of an issue.

I have one of the current series that I picked up cheap on the used market. It isn't a tack driver and won't hold a candle - accuracy wise - to a decent AR. But it does get usable groups with the dot sight at ranges I can see the target. 1.25" at 50 yds - not a problem. Haven't put any magnification on it to see what it can do, and don't really plan to, since it isn't here for that use. In stock form, it flung brass into the next area code, but an adjustable gas block fixed that. I suspect it also improved accuracy slightly. Some choose to go with a cheap and simple gas bushing change for the same results. The (stock) trigger on mine is better than the run of the mill AR. Reliability has proven to be perfectly fine with Ruger mags (all I have). Reports of problems with mags dropping free should be anyone's cue that the reporter doesn't know the gun. Not the gun I would choose to go to war with, but great for knocking about in the hills (five-round mags = easy to carry) or home defense.

The fair comparison to a Mini 14 should be the M1 carbine, IMO. Good luck finding one in usable condition for a comparable price, and good luck with accuracy, reliability, and ammo cost of same.
Posted By: FreeMe Re: Mini 14? - 03/10/19
BTW - the current production of Tapco 30-round mags for the Mini (I don't have any, 'cause I prefer the 20 and 5 round mags) are reported to be reliable and they sell regularly for $17. Ruger 20-rounders can be found on sale commonly for $25, and sometimes less.
Posted By: TwoEyedJack Re: Mini 14? - 03/11/19
I used to have a Mini-14. It was a solid 4 MOA gun. There was an article in one of the gun rags, I think American Rifleman, showing how to accurize a Mini by glass bedding the action and the ferule. I carried out the instructions to the letter and thought I had done a pretty good job. Then at the range I put a 20 round magazine into a target and had a group that was 1.5" wide, and 12" tall. Ouch. I sold it and got an AR that will regularly put 10 shots into 1.5" with irons sights, and significantly better with a scope. Ruger was correct when they called the Mini "The World's Most Expensive Plinker".

If I lived in a state that tried to prohibit me from owning an AR-15, and I couldn't move, I would get a Remington 7615 (pump action, takes AR mags) before I would get another mini.
Posted By: FreeMe Re: Mini 14? - 03/11/19
If I was going to buy a new Mini, or another used one, FTM - I would get the tactical model with the plastic stock and the 16" barrel. Reports are that the shorter and stiffer barrel suffers less from accuracy damaging vibration - and that's a big deal with that heavy bolt slamming back and forth. Besides, that just makes it all the more handy.
Posted By: BeanMan Re: Mini 14? - 03/12/19
Well I found a 583 serial number Mini that an older neighbor had and didn’t want. He said about 200 rounds down the tube. $500 bucks. It looks like new.
Posted By: FreeMe Re: Mini 14? - 03/12/19
What configuration?
Posted By: jimmyp Re: Mini 14? - 03/12/19
Well I found a 583 serial number Mini that an older neighbor had and didn’t want. He said about 200 rounds down the tube. $500 bucks. It looks like new.

if its a blue gun clean the barrel and look down the tube before you buy it, if he fired it and let it sit or fired some of the older ammo in it then the tube may be for chit. If you clean it and the tube looks dark don't buy it either. I had one of the operating rods rust to the gas piston once on a blue old beater I got from a local sheriff, I cannot recollect what I paid for it but after I beat on it for a while I sold it to the next rube cause it was cool and all with the folding stock. Of course if you live in a communist state you might have to buy one but when you live in a free state you can get a brand new PSA with a stainless barrel for $499.99 and I personally would take a DPMS Oracle everyday and twice on sunday over the mini 14, hell a Keltec would be better.... Here is a brand new stainless gun for a 1 penny less than your deal.
https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-16-stainless-mid-length-1-7-freedom-carbine.html
Posted By: BeanMan Re: Mini 14? - 03/12/19
Originally Posted by FreeMe
What configuration?

Blued, synthetic, 16”. The barrel is one of the newer ones with the slight taper next to the forearm.
What configuration?

Blued, synthetic, 16”. The barrel is one of the newer ones with the slight taper next to the forearm.

Well, that's about $275 less than you're likely to find one new, and I assume it's off-paper, if that matters to you. Not a bad deal, if, as Jimmy above mentions, there has been no abuse. Unless it's been bugggered or in need of warranty work, I think you'll find it to be a better performer than most here would expect.
Posted By: Bowlseye Re: Mini 14? - 03/12/19
Don't buy one for it's accuracy. It is hard not to like the looks and feel but if I had to use mine for defense I would wait till they got close enough so I could bop them over the head with it. This is my second one and should be bopped over the head for buying another.

I saw some documentary on Federal Prisons and the guards were using Mini 14s from the guard towers. There was a riot and the guard actually shot one of the inmates. I am sure it wasn't the one he was aiming at. I thought if they all would spread out and stand still they would be safe.

I have decided to hang mine on the wall in front of all the other rifles as a public shaming until I can send it down the road.

Never again for me. Only accurate rifles are interesting.
Originally Posted by Sanchez
Don't buy one for it's accuracy. It is hard not to like the looks and feel but if I had to use mine for defense I would wait till they got close enough so I could bop them over the head with it. This is my second one and should be bopped over the head for buying another.

I saw some documentary on Federal Prisons and the guards were using Mini 14s from the guard towers. There was a riot and the guard actually shot one of the inmates. I am sure it wasn't the one he was aiming at. I thought if they all would spread out and stand still they would be safe.

I have decided to hang mine on the wall in front of all the other rifles as a public shaming until I can send it down the road.

Never again for me. Only accurate rifles are interesting.

I wonder what kind of groups Mr. Whelen accepted as "accurate"? It's been so long since I read any of his stuff that I can't remember.

So - this is the kind of stuff that always pops up when discussing the Mini 14. I won't dispute that the Mini is not the most accurate semiauto rifle, and in the case of the older pencil-barrel versions, maybe no more accurate in some shooter's hands than the average pistol might be for someone who can shoot (but with more power). But when I read a post with such hyperbole as this, I see little value in the poster's opinion on the matter.

Details about which series, which stock, which barrel, which sights, what kind of measured groups, and whether it has been determined if everything is in spec and proper adjustment would be more helpful for both the poster and the reader. There are probably some lemons out there, but it has been pretty well established that even the older Mini 14's can be made to shoot reasonably well, with little effort. Maybe not well enough to justify the price if price alone is the issue - but well enough to be plenty useful. Might I suggest selling the hated objects to someone who will put out that effort - rather than hanging them on the wall? It's a win/win situation. wink
Posted By: kwg020 Re: Mini 14? - 03/13/19
The pencil barrel Minis. It's almost like swearing. The pencil barrel Mini's will forever doom the rifle to being considered a 3rd class pile of junk. Even though they were typically well put together and worked every time. I spent a lot of time trying to make a pencil barrel Mini accurate. The issue that most bugged me the most was switching powders and loads and having to re-sight in my rifle. (New Point Of Impact) Slow powders make it shoot low and fast powders made it shoot high. Not by fractions of inches but by full inches. Once I found a load whether it was fast or slow powder, it became reasonably accurate. But, change powders or bullet weights and I was right back to finding the bulls eye.

My last skinny barrel rifle was an early 580. Right after my rifle, Ruger started putting on the .625 diameter barrel with the flair at the gas block. I had access to a lathe and the barrel vices so I bought a .625" barrel from ASI in Colorado and I installed the new barrel. After working out the kinks and getting the barrel settled into the stock I was consistently getting right at or less than 1 inch at 50 yards. When I changed loads or bullets my POI barely moved. Slow powder to fast powder and back. Instead of 3 or 4 inches I was up and down to 1/2" or less of new POI. The secret in my opinion was out. Chamber pressure and powder burn rates dictated POI with the skinny barrel rifles. Change ammo or change powder and you have to start all over.

Unfortunately the design was 30 years old by the time Ruger put on the new style barrel. That means millions of Mini 14's with the skinny barrels are still out there somewhere. Still pi$$ing folks off about their accuracy issues. Ruger didn't do it to just themselves, they did it to those of us who like the design and the ergonomics of a traditional style rifle. The damage as been done. Reputations good or bad can be persistent.

kwg
Posted By: TWR Re: Mini 14? - 03/13/19
Really, when it was light and handy, it wouldn't shoot.

Beef it up so it does shoot and it's no longer light nor handy...

You either love em or hate em.
Posted By: FreeMe Re: Mini 14? - 03/13/19
Originally Posted by TWR

Guess I can't entirely agree with that. Just under 7 lbs may not qualify as light these days, but the current Mini shoots okay and is definitely handy. Just maybe not $800 handy. wink
Posted By: Tyrone Re: Mini 14? - 03/13/19
If Ruger had just used a different gas system, we probably wouldn't be having this largely negative conversation.
Posted By: shaman Re: Mini 14? - 03/13/19
KYHillChick and I both have Stainless Mini-14's purchased new about 2000.

Other folks have problems with accuracy. We don't seem to have the problem at all. Hers is a Ranch version with a 3-9X40 scope. Mine is the standard version.

This is what I keep next to the bed for those things that won't stay close enough for the 12 GA auto. It does minute-of-miscreant just fine. My only complaint is that it throws brass all to hell and back.
Originally Posted by Tyrone
If Ruger had just used a different gas system, we probably wouldn't be having this largely negative conversation.

Yeah - the system is excessively lively and robust, for sure.
Originally Posted by shaman
KYHillChick and I both have Stainless Mini-14's purchased new about 2000.

Other folks have problems with accuracy. We don't seem to have the problem at all. Hers is a Ranch version with a 3-9X40 scope. Mine is the standard version.

This is what I keep next to the bed for those things that won't stay close enough for the 12 GA auto. It does minute-of-miscreant just fine. My only complaint is that it throws brass all to hell and back.

If you're a little bit handy, you can tame it down pretty easily.

https://www.ruger-mini-14-firearms.com/Gas-Reduction-Bushing-Kit.php

You also need an inch-lb driver and feeler guages to re-install the gas block evenly.
Posted By: TBREW401 Re: Mini 14? - 03/13/19
The skinny barrel models benefit greatly with a barrel strut installed.
They do throw brass into the next zip code, but, the gas bushing is an easy fix.
Posted By: hh4whiskey Re: Mini 14? - 03/13/19
Making them in the new 350 or one of the 45 ar cartridges, would help endear the mini to woods hunters and others I’d think. A 3-5” grouping 223 needs to be a 7.62, 35, or such...JMO. Mini 30s and 6.8s were maybe the best thing they did for the mini.
Posted By: Tyrone Re: Mini 14? - 03/13/19

It isn't just the gas volume, it's the heavy slide (op rod) banging against the gas block. This is as opposed to an M1 or M14 style where the op rod isn't stopped by the gas block.
Posted By: GoForBroke Re: Mini 14? - 03/13/19
I had a GB series and it shot about 3/4 with factory loads. Sold it years back and most shoot the AR's I built. Easier platform to scope or put optics on.

It isn't just the gas volume, it's the heavy slide (op rod) banging against the gas block. This is as opposed to an M1 or M14 style where the op rod isn't stopped by the gas block.

Yes. That is what it is.
Posted By: TWR Re: Mini 14? - 03/13/19
Originally Posted by TWR

Guess I can't entirely agree with that. Just under 7 lbs may not qualify as light these days, but the current Mini shoots okay and is definitely handy. Just maybe not $800 handy. wink

I meant by doing what DirtFarmer did and put a bull barrel on it. I've not seen any proof that the new ones are what I'd consider accurate and for the money, I'd rather send an old one off like he did.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Mini 14? - 03/13/19
Originally Posted by TWR
Originally Posted by TWR

I meant by doing what DirtFarmer did and put a bull barrel on it. I've not seen any proof that the new ones are what I'd consider accurate and for the money, I'd rather send an old one off like he did.

My Ranch Rifle was a truck gun my ranch hands carried for years, killed a few truck loads of ‘yotes.

So, when I got it back, it was “fully depreciated” so to speak. So, sending it off for full house re-do was a no brainer.

Great handling and shooting rifle.

DF
Posted By: Capt_Craig Re: Mini 14? - 03/13/19
The best things about the older ss minis is that they were both stainless and fit wonderfully under the center console of my boat. When I began running charters back in 1985, I bought three stainless folders at Woolworth’s for about $300 each. They were awesome anti-pirate/drug dealer weapons and could hold potential unwanted boarders at stand off distance until the cavalry had a chance to show up. Luckily they only had to be deployed a couple of times, but they were worth their weight in gold. ARs without an sbr stamp would not fit in the same space. Still have one of the originals with the box and packing materials. Almost sold it during the ban, but kept one for sentimental reasons.
Posted By: TWR Re: Mini 14? - 03/14/19
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by TWR
Originally Posted by TWR

My Ranch Rifle was a truck gun my ranch hands carried for years, killed a few truck loads of ‘yotes.

So, when I got it back, it was “fully depreciated” so to speak. So, sending it off for full house re-do was a no brainer.

Great handling and shooting rifle.

DF

That's the odd thing about them, they wouldn't shoot groups for crap but everything still died that I tried to kill with them.
Posted By: FreeMe Re: Mini 14? - 03/14/19
Originally Posted by Capt_Craig
The best things about the older ss minis is that they were both stainless and fit wonderfully under the center console of my boat. When I began running charters back in 1985, I bought three stainless folders at Woolworth’s for about $300 each. They were awesome anti-pirate/drug dealer weapons and could hold potential unwanted boarders at stand off distance until the cavalry had a chance to show up. Luckily they only had to be deployed a couple of times, but they were worth their weight in gold. ARs without an sbr stamp would not fit in the same space. Still have one of the originals with the box and packing materials. Almost sold it during the ban, but kept one for sentimental reasons.

If only they would bring out a synthetic version of that stock!
Posted By: Tyrone Re: Mini 14? - 03/14/19
Originally Posted by Capt_Craig
The best things about the older ss minis is that they were both stainless and fit wonderfully under the center console of my boat. When I began running charters back in 1985, I bought three stainless folders at Woolworth’s for about $300 each. They were awesome anti-pirate/drug dealer weapons and could hold potential unwanted boarders at stand off distance until the cavalry had a chance to show up. Luckily they only had to be deployed a couple of times, but they were worth their weight in gold.
I'd like to hear those stories some time!
Posted By: killerv Re: Mini 14? - 03/14/19
I've always wanted one just to have one. Buddy just picked one up during at a local auction for 270 otd. Late 80s model, blued/wood almost like new. Got a heck of a deal. He's already turned down 650 for it.
Posted By: FreeMe Re: Mini 14? - 03/14/19
Originally Posted by killerv
I've always wanted one just to have one...

That's why I picked up the one I have. Just to have one. Because I'm an evil rich American, I can do that sort of thing. The funny part is that it turned out to not be the piece of crap that everyone warned me about, and I enjoy shooting it. laugh
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Mini 14? - 03/15/19
Have had (7) and all sucked.

A sub $300 Peezer will smoke 'em,in ALL regards.

Hint................
Posted By: mikieb Re: Mini 14? - 03/16/19
I got an AR and it won't shoot worth a crap... my Mini shoots just a bit better, but not by much... like others have said... it is not the most accurate shooter, but with that said, when I shoot at things that need killing... the Mini gets 'em killed.

I have had several optics mounted on the top... I'm still looking for the just right optic. I want to find a red dot of some kind. With that said, if it didn't have an optic on it... I wouldn't know about it's relative inaccuracy.

A different thought on the Mini... It came along just a little too late... What if the gun was invented in the 1930's ?? What if the Army had the Mini in hand during the Pacific Island campaign ? Would it have performed better than the 30 carbine ? What if the Chinese would have adopted the Mini before the Japanese invaded... what a perfect gun for and rifle company made up of smaller solders like the Chinese had. If the Chinese would have had the Mini in their hands at the beginning of the 1935... The rape of Nanjing would have never happened. Just a thought.

I have a newer SS with the plastic stock... and if an unwanted fight came to me.... I would not hesitate to grab the Mini
Posted By: FreeMe Re: Mini 14? - 03/16/19
Originally Posted by Big Stick

Hint................

How come so many?
Originally Posted by mikieb
I got an AR and it won't shoot worth a crap... my Mini shoots just a bit better, but not by much... like others have said... it is not the most accurate shooter, but with that said, when I shoot at things that need killing... the Mini gets 'em killed.

I have had several optics mounted on the top... I'm still looking for the just right optic. I want to find a red dot of some kind. With that said, if it didn't have an optic on it... I wouldn't know about it's relative inaccuracy.

A different thought on the Mini... It came along just a little too late... What if the gun was invented in the 1930's ?? What if the Army had the Mini in hand during the Pacific Island campaign ? Would it have performed better than the 30 carbine ? What if the Chinese would have adopted the Mini before the Japanese invaded... what a perfect gun for and rifle company made up of smaller solders like the Chinese had. If the Chinese would have had the Mini in their hands at the beginning of the 1935... The rape of Nanjing would have never happened. Just a thought.

I have a newer SS with the plastic stock... and if an unwanted fight came to me.... I would not hesitate to grab the Mini

Liking the Sig Romeo 5 sight so far. Time will tell if it holds up to the slamming. Must be something wrong with your AR that needs fixin'.
Posted By: deflave Re: Mini 14? - 03/16/19

I see you're from Wisconsin.
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Mini 14? - 03/16/19
Originally Posted by Big Stick

Hint................

How come so many?

Helping less fortunate pards out.

Nobody listens.

Hint................
Posted By: 79S Re: Mini 14? - 03/16/19

I see you're from Wisconsin.

Viet mother ph u king nam!!!! Give me my m14, mother ph ucking 1911! Yee phu cking haw!
Posted By: Bowlseye Re: Mini 14? - 03/16/19
Well I found the fix for mine and there won't be another. Like they say, first time shame on you Ruger, second time shame on me. It should not be the buyers job to fix the flaws of a rifle that has been produced this long and known to have issues. For every Remington bashing that goes on there is form post on how to make the Mini shoot. Really? I bet Harley Davidson would be out of business if AMF was still making them. So what makes the Mini acceptable to the public?
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Mini 14? - 03/16/19
It's Ruger.

Old man Bill was a grouchy bastard that built guns his way.

That's a good thing if you are a fussy perfectionist.
Not so much when your barrel suppliers suck.
And you continue to use them for a decade.
Or your triggers suck.

And your answer to the accuracy and trigger complaints is,
"We build good hunting rifles, not target guns".

Look at the chamber dimensions of their 45 Colt revolvers.
All screwed up, and inconsistent.
The only good thing is the throats are too tight.
That's fixable, and then they are consistent.
They have made them that way for 40 years.
People have complained for 40 years.

Why in thee hell would you do that.
If my name was on the barrel, I would want to be proud of it.
Not because my name was there.
But because people knew my name meant it was done right.
Who has been churning out flawless DA 45LC's and perfect bolt action rifles in the past three decades?
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Mini 14? - 03/16/19
DealingSuck TRIES.

Hint.

Laughing!.................
Originally Posted by Sanchez
It should not be the buyers job to fix the flaws of a rifle that has been produced this long and known to have issues. .....So what makes the Mini acceptable to the public?

Oh, I agree - it should not be the buyer's job to fix anything that needs fixing. But the Mini doesn't generally have "issues" - it has an issue, and that is accuracy.....as compared to more accurate carbines. This is only an issue though for people with an unreasonable expectation of the design. It's a fast-handling and simple operating carbine, that fills the niche left vacant by the dearth of M1 Carbines (or in the current case, the dearth of affordable M1 carbines that function). That is not to imply that some other less expensive MSR in carbine form is not more accurate - but for many people it is more accurate than necessary for the intended use...as an intermediate range firearm. The ironic thing I see is that there is still a lot of love for the M1 carbine, while the Mini 14, which currently generally meets or exceeds that gun's performance in every way except weight, gathers mostly hate on internet forums - usually for no reason that wouldn't also apply to the M1 carbine.

The Mini is acceptable to a lot of shooters, because of its handling characteristics, familiarity with the controls and/or operating system, simple maintenance, and its reliability. Until recently, the availability of all-stainless construction has also been a somewhat exclusive attraction. The price......yeah, that shouldn't be reasonable in the current market, IMO - unless you compare it to that of the M1 carbine. But apparently, there is enough demand to keep both high. If there were other producers of the same design, the price would likely go down - but who is going to take up that task, with all the smack against the Mini?
The five round flush fitting mag makes them worth the price of admission as far as I'm concerned.

In that regard, Ol' Bill was a genius.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Mini 14? - 03/16/19
Who has been churning out flawless DA 45LC's and perfect bolt action rifles in the past three decades?

Flawless?

The problem is not the mistake, or even the big mistake.

It's making the same stupid mistake. For 3 decades.

Hell, over that period, it probably wasn't even the same people running the show.
In 30 or 40 years, the engineers and the quality had to have had substantial personally changes.
And yet, they still couldnt grind the reamers to the right dimension. Make sure the ones in the tooling were
matched, and discard them when undersized.

This isn't hard stuff.
That's the bad part.
Getting this right is vo-tech grade.
The five round flush fitting mag makes them worth the price of admission as far as I'm concerned.

That's a good point. With the 5-round mag, it slips into places - loaded and ready to fire - where other MSRs would never fit. And carries nicely; 20-rounders, at the ready if needed/wanted. That is turning out to be a big deal for me.
Posted By: 79S Re: Mini 14? - 03/16/19

Pass me the 90 round magazine please! Get some yeah get some
Posted By: Tyrone Re: Mini 14? - 03/16/19
The ironic thing I see is that there is still a lot of love for the M1 carbine, while the Mini 14, which currently generally meets or exceeds that gun's performance in every way except weight, gathers mostly hate on internet forums - usually for no reason that wouldn't also apply to the M1 carbine.
I think the biggest issue is that people expect more out of a rifle cartridge than they do out of a glorified handgun round.

Expectations are important. It's always better to under promise and over deliver. There is a lot of promise in the 5.56x45!
Posted By: NVhntr Re: Mini 14? - 03/16/19
Laughing.
I didn't realize the Mini-14 lived rent free in so many heads.
Why always the Mini vs. the AR?
Why not the Mini vs. the AK? Notice how none of the AK guys participate in these threads or post up targets to compare? Now there is a POS weapon with a following.
At least the Mini is 'merican.

[Linked Image]
The ironic thing I see is that there is still a lot of love for the M1 carbine, while the Mini 14, which currently generally meets or exceeds that gun's performance in every way except weight, gathers mostly hate on internet forums - usually for no reason that wouldn't also apply to the M1 carbine.
I think the biggest issue is that people expect more out of a rifle cartridge than they do out of a glorified handgun round.

Expectations are important. It's always better to under promise and over deliver. There is a lot of promise in the 5.56x45!

Absolutely. Expectations are important. And If you expect to shoot much under sub 2MOA groups, the current Mini will likely frustrate you, and the pencil-barrel will make you tear your hair out. It can be made to do it, for a price, and some just get lucky - but if that's the main goal, there are many better options.

For anyone who has one and would like it to shoot better - I would start with bedding the receiver and reducing the gas bushing diameter. Both cheap and easy improvements.
Laughing.
Why not the Mini vs. the AK? Notice how none of the AK guys participate in these threads or post up targets to compare? Now there is a POS weapon with a following.

To be fair - the AK can be had for a bit less. But yeah. OTOH - I haven't tried one, but the Mini 30 does have a reputation of better accuracy than the 14, so there is that also.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Mini 14? - 03/17/19

That's why I picked up the one I have. Just to have one. Because I'm an evil rich American, I can do that sort of thing. The funny part is that it turned out to not be the piece of crap that everyone warned me about, and I enjoy shooting it. laugh

You forgot white. smile
Posted By: 79S Re: Mini 14? - 03/17/19
Laughing.

[Linked Image]

Oh wtf a 50yd 3 shot group... ph uck you better pack your gear and head to camp Perry with that setup then.. I see President 100 in your future!
Posted By: NVhntr Re: Mini 14? - 03/17/19
Originally Posted by 79S
Laughing.

[Linked Image]

Oh wtf a 50yd 3 shot group... ph uck you better pack your gear and head to camp Perry with that setup then.. I see President 100 in your future!

Rent free.
Yeah. This one isn't going anywhere.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: FreeMe Re: Mini 14? - 03/17/19

You forgot white. smile

Hey - hold your tongue! I'm 0.064% Native American!
Posted By: 79S Re: Mini 14? - 03/17/19
Originally Posted by 79S
Laughing.

[Linked Image]

Rent free.

Yep rent free... wtf ever send a group you shot at a 100yds.. you are a regular Carlo hathcock with that mini 14..
Posted By: Bowlseye Re: Mini 14? - 03/17/19
Well since I already had owned and worked with the Mini I had hopes and expectations of 2 to 3" groups at a 100 but couldn't get close to that at 50. So I got a bad one. I would have kept it and tried to make it better if I could.

I had a Ruger American Predator in 6.5 Creedmoor that had an oversized chamber so bad it was near impossible to resize brass.

M77 Mark II after I accurized it is a great rifle.

Mini 14 great for denting brass and throwing it in the neighbors yard.

You forgot white. smile

Hey - hold your tongue! I'm 0.064% Native American!

You just pee'd that out. smile
Posted By: Terryk Re: Mini 14? - 03/17/19
I bet some guys remember that Bill Ruger had a 308 winchester caliber M14 knock off in the catalogs for years. I think they only made a 100 prototypes, and not for sale to general public. It was called the XGI 308. At the time it was rumored they were not accurate, and that always delayed the release.

https://americangg.net/tb-308-mini-14/
Posted By: Tyrone Re: Mini 14? - 03/17/19
Yeah, from what I understand he used the same gas system as the Mini. No wonder he couldn't get it to work! (well)

Can you imagine how people would have savaged that rifle with comparisons to the M14? Whew! Woulda been ugly!
Posted By: websterparish47 Re: Mini 14? - 03/17/19
I had an XGI on order when Ruger sent me a letter saying they had decided not to produce it. I understand that Bill Ruger canceled production when he learned that aftermarket manufacturers were already working on 20 round mags for it.
Posted By: jimmyp Re: Mini 14? - 03/17/19
when the French adopted the Mousqueton AMD that was it for me.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Mini 14? - 03/20/19
The haters are gonna hate. Most of the nay sayers have never actually fired a Mini 14, but they sure can parrot the party line. laughing.
My old series 188 Ranch rifle is a fine shooter.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Tyrone Re: Mini 14? - 03/20/19
I bought one and inherited 2. The 2 came with a bunch of targets showing how the original owner vainly fiddled with loads trying to get them to shoot.
Posted By: BeanMan Re: Mini 14? - 03/26/19
I’ve been shooting the heck out of my new to me mini 14. I really like it. With Iron sites I shot a 5 inch group at 100 yards, that’s the best my eyes can do. I have scope rings ordered at that point Iwill find out how accurate it might be. The older neighbor I bought it from surprised me the other night with three 20 round OEM magazines that he found in his garage. For 500 bucks I am well pleased with it.
Posted By: patberg Re: Mini 14? - 03/26/19
Most people run them down because they know nothing about them. Probably never shot one. Use mine for coyote hunting all the time, most shots are around 100 yards. I have shot a lot of them with the mini. Plenty good for me.
Posted By: jimmyp Re: Mini 14? - 03/26/19
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
The haters are gonna hate. Most of the nay sayers have never actually fired a Mini 14, but they sure can parrot the party line. laughing.
My old series 188 Ranch rifle is a fine shooter.
[Linked Image]

I bet a lot of people here would like to see some 10 shot groups from a Mini 14 off the bags at 100 with decent ammo.
Posted By: jimmyp Re: Mini 14? - 03/26/19
Originally Posted by patberg
Most people run them down because they know nothing about them. Probably never shot one. Use mine for coyote hunting all the time, most shots are around 100 yards. I have shot a lot of them with the mini. Plenty good for me.

I have had 3 of them.
Posted By: silver78 Re: Mini 14? - 03/28/19
I have owned three of them as well. Sold them all. I just wish Ruger made one that had a barrel weight between the regular model and the target model that also did not skinny down below the gas block. I can't believe they kept the skinny diameter under the gas block for the target model. WTF??
Posted By: jimmyp Re: Mini 14? - 03/28/19
PT Barnum was right, there is a sucker born every minute, I get it if your stuck in a commie vagina s-hithole state but for anyone else the mini 14 is a very poor 5th rate choice.
Posted By: Robert_White Re: Mini 14? - 03/28/19
Originally Posted by silver78
I have owned three of them as well. Sold them all. I just wish Ruger made one that had a barrel weight between the regular model and the target model that also did not skinny down below the gas block. I can't believe they kept the skinny diameter under the gas block for the target model. WTF??

That gas block to barrel interface could have easily been re engineered, everybody knows it, but ruger just would not do it.
The mini is a heart breaking unfaithful whore who just won't do right.
Unless you send it off for the high dollar re barrel and gas block mod.
AR`s are just too easy to get addicted to.
Posted By: BeanMan Re: Mini 14? - 03/28/19
Is it Ok to just like my new mini? It is handy, seems to be reliable, and shoots well enough for someone who is not interested in printing pretty paper.
Posted By: Yondering Re: Mini 14? - 03/28/19
Is it Ok to just like my new mini? It is handy, seems to be reliable, and shoots well enough for someone who is not interested in printing pretty paper.

Yup! Just enjoy it, they are fun to shoot and certainly have a different feel and flavor than an AR. Mine accounted for lots of various small game animals and ground squirrels. It wasn't a benchrest rifle, but wasn't expected to be and it shot well enough for what it was.
Posted By: mini14jac Re: Mini 14? - 03/29/19
I've had several.
(Notice my user name. grin )

My last one was one of the "new" heavy barrel ones, blue with a 16" barrel.
When new, it would not reliably feed more than 5 rounds from either of the included mags.
And, I couldn't get it to sight in at 25 yards.
Ruger sent me a shipping label and had the gun back in about 3 weeks.
They replaced the barrel and the bolt.

The gun was good for 4-5" groups at 100 yards with Wolf ammo after that so I couldn't complain.

The last time I looked at my shooting log, I realized I hadn't shot my Mini in over 2 years. frown
(Don't buy a gun that is not exactly the gun you want.)
I sold that one, and could only get $450 out of it. (You will usually take a beating on resale.)
I mainly shoot ARs, but I'd still like to get a stainless gun with a 16" heavy barrel.
But, I'm not going to pay $700+ so I probably won't have another.

They aren't a great value compared to an AR when new, but they are good guns.
If you can find a sucker like me selling one, you can find good deals on them.

There is just something about a Mini 14.
If I had land to shoot on, I'd probably still have one.
They are just fun to shoot.
Posted By: night_owl Re: Mini 14? - 03/29/19
Originally Posted by mini14jac

The gun was good for 4-5" groups at 100 yards with Wolf ammo after that so I couldn't complain.

Many years ago I bought a new Mini-14 that could do no better than 5" groups at 100 yards. I did complain.
Sent rifle to Ruger. Ruger sends rifle back along with test target containing about a 3" 50 yard group.
Ruger deemed this to be acceptable accuracy. Since I could do about the same with a 12 gauge pump smooth bore (plus shoot birds), I sold the mini in disgust.
© 24hourcampfire