Home
Posted By: HeavyLoad DPMS Sweet16 - 03/05/19
Been kicking around getting a new AR and this one caught my eye. DPMS Sweet 16.
Anyone have one of these that can give a review?
Would plan on putting a 1.5x4 on it. Something a little different then The AR I currently have.
Posted By: 79S Re: DPMS Sweet16 - 03/05/19
I'm far from being an expert on AR's but from what I have read DPMS QC is lacking sometimes. By that you will either get a good one or get a bad one.
Posted By: HeavyLoad Re: DPMS Sweet16 - 03/05/19
Yea I’ve read that too. But I also read that same thing about a lot of other manufacturers too. Rock River, Windham Weaponry, PSA.
It’s like Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge.
Posted By: armedferret Re: DPMS Sweet16 - 03/05/19
It's entirely true, they've had a handful of rifles get out, among thousands and thousands made, that had some QC issues. Those to which I was privy, DPMS took quick and full responsibility and remedied the issues as soon as was reasonably possible.

Anything mass produced will have lemons get out. It's what the company does on the flip side WHEN it happens that matters. Some will tell the end user to pound sand. They rarely stick around.

Others will take care of the customer. Theirs are the names that become an industry standard.

DPMS is good juju. One can of course do better, but one can also do *FAR* worse.
Posted By: armedferret Re: DPMS Sweet16 - 03/05/19
As for reviews, while I don't personally currently own any DPMS whole rifles, here's a few:

http://forum.snipershide.com/threads/dpms-sweet-16-accuracy.12096/

https://rugerforum.net/rifles/114284-dpms-panther-sweet-16-a.html
Posted By: HeavyDove Re: DPMS Sweet16 - 03/05/19
I built two of them. from a crap load of parts I had laying around.

I like the balance and feel of them along with the added weight.

To some, the added extra weight might be to much some how....but I really like it as it holds steady well and hardly moves......keep that in mind.

Its very fun to shoot......perfect...for me that is.....truck gun/pig gun.

Ordered the barrel from Grafs and sons. full bull 1x9 16"
Fixed A2 stock.
Stag lower I bought years and years ago
some unnamed .....Flat top
DPMS's rifle length free float tube.
wilson gas block
dpms lower parts kit
Tool Craft bolt carrier group.....from JoeBobs.

keep in mind that all that stuff to build both of them was on sale....so there is that.

Do they actually shoot.....yes both "sweet" 16's do very well.
I absolutely love them....due to the aesthetics I mentioned above.....

Just goofing around with them on the first day to just test for function...........easily hits 200 yard steel 3" target. Using a crappy AIM fixed 4x scope....$20 job from amazon...
This is with absolutely no load development as this is my all around load for several AR's.

My plinking handloads are running TAC 23grains and a 55 grain Hornady with cannular. Easy pig load.

Best
HeavyDove

Posted By: antelope_sniper Re: DPMS Sweet16 - 03/06/19
Originally Posted by armedferret
It's entirely true, they've had a handful of rifles get out, among thousands and thousands made, that had some QC issues. Those to which I was privy, DPMS took quick and full responsibility and remedied the issues as soon as was reasonably possible.

Anything mass produced will have lemons get out. It's what the company does on the flip side WHEN it happens that matters. Some will tell the end user to pound sand. They rarely stick around.

Others will take care of the customer. Theirs are the names that become an industry standard.

DPMS is good juju. One can of course do better, but one can also do *FAR* worse.

Don't think it's just a handful.

Everytime I mess with something DPMS something is out of spec.
Posted By: armedferret Re: DPMS Sweet16 - 03/06/19
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

like what?
Posted By: krupp Re: DPMS Sweet16 - 03/06/19
Last Xmas I asked the same question and received more negatives than positives concerning DPMS.

I went with a S&W M&P Sport II when Tombstone Tactical had them for a little under $550 OTD after the first of the year. A week later I found a nice used Stag 15 M4 for $600 OTD. Happy I went with the alternative.

like what?

DPMS mags I have, out of spec, won't lock open in any rifle.
DPMS barrel nut wouldn't snug up to a Troy Alpha rail. Replaced it with a Delton and it snugged right up.
Dads neighbors DPMS .308 is a total pile of crap. Way over gassed. It uses a non-standard buffer tube with a short buffer weight, so you can't even change out the buffer weight to tune the system. I never could get it to run, not sure if he even installed an adjustable gas block like I suggested.
Buddies upper, better back you loads off a full grain. It says 5.56 on the barrel, but shows pressure like a .223.

They just have this habit of trying to be a bit too cute with their specs. That's why DPMS stands for Doesn't [bleep] Meet Standards.
Posted By: Yondering Re: DPMS Sweet16 - 03/06/19
I'd definitely buy PSA before considering DPMS, just based on my own experiences with both. That's not just about DPMS parts being out of spec (which I've encountered a fair number), but also the way they look and feel, a lot of it makes me think of cheap 90's era AR parts. (To be fair I have not worked with the G2, and would consider one of those an exception because I like the concept.)
Originally Posted by Yondering
I'd definitely buy PSA before considering DPMS, just based on my own experiences with both. That's not just about DPMS parts being out of spec (which I've encountered a fair number), but also the way they look and feel, a lot of it makes me think of cheap 90's era AR parts. (To be fair I have not worked with the G2, and would consider one of those an exception because I like the concept.)

At least one member here bought a G2 and had horrible results. Over gassed, wouldn't extract.

I'd considered buying one until I saw the threads on his train wreck.....

Perhaps the OP of the G2 thread would be kind enough to post a link to it?
Posted By: Yondering Re: DPMS Sweet16 - 03/06/19

At least one member here bought a G2 and had horrible results. Over gassed, wouldn't extract.

I'd considered buying one until I saw the threads on his train wreck.....

Perhaps the OP of the G2 thread would be kind enough to post a link to it?

Yeah I do remember that, and have read others too. If I bought a G2 it'd be with eyes wide open and full expectation of needing to tune it myself. But I have the equipment and ability to do that. My comment was not intended to imply that the G2 is good to go, it's still a DPMS. I just like the concept but expect the execution to be somewhat flawed.
Posted By: HeavyLoad Re: DPMS Sweet16 - 03/09/19
Well I went an entirely different route. I just ordered a PSA upper and lower.
Cheaper then I had planned and I figured I could use the extra cash for a decent drop in trigger.
I have a Velocity 3lb in the AR I already have, a PSA upper with a parts lower. It’s a good trigger for the price, but there is some creep. I hope it’s a good one.
PSA 18" Rifle Length .223 Wylde 1/7 Stainless Steel 15" Lightweight M-lok Upper With BCG, CH, & MBUS Sight Set - 516446673
PSA AR-15 Complete Lower - EPT Magpul CTR Edition - Black, No Magazine - 5165447862
Posted By: jimmyp Re: DPMS Sweet16 - 03/09/19
DPMS is owned by Cerberus group, but its immediate owner is Remington. Remington is the worst gun company in the world. That is all your need to know.
Posted By: antelope_sniper Re: DPMS Sweet16 - 03/09/19
Originally Posted by jimmyp
DPMS is owned by Cerberus group, but its immediate owner is Remington. Remington is the worst gun company in the world. That is all your need to know.

DPMS had problems way before they were purchased by Remington/Cerberus.
Posted By: antelope_sniper Re: DPMS Sweet16 - 03/09/19
Originally Posted by HeavyLoad
Cheaper then I had planned and I figured I could use the extra cash for a decent drop in trigger.
I have a Velocity 3lb in the AR I already have, a PSA upper with a parts lower. It’s a good trigger for the price, but there is some creep. I hope it’s a good one.
PSA 18" Rifle Length .223 Wylde 1/7 Stainless Steel 15" Lightweight M-lok Upper With BCG, CH, & MBUS Sight Set - 516446673
PSA AR-15 Complete Lower - EPT Magpul CTR Edition - Black, No Magazine - 5165447862

Congratulations. I suspect you will like it. I'm looking forward to your field report.
Posted By: Yondering Re: DPMS Sweet16 - 03/09/19
Originally Posted by HeavyLoad

That seems like a pretty good choice, and IMO a nicer rifle than the DPMS you were considering.
Posted By: kwg020 Re: DPMS Sweet16 - 03/10/19
I have a DPMS lower I bought at least 10 years ago and I used a DPMS lower kit from Brownells to finish it. I recently bought an A2 upper for a future build. I pinned the upper and lower together and they fit like they were made from the same piece of aluminum, in reality the upper and lower were made years apart from each other. I'm not seeing that "out of spec" issue others are. But, mine is a sample of 2 parts and a lower kit. I guess I have taken worse gambles.

kwg
Posted By: hh4whiskey Re: DPMS Sweet16 - 03/10/19
In the early 2000s, DPMS was a source for proper spec’d replacement parts for out of spec Colt parts, on US Army M4s. Truly. As far as last 5-10 years, I’m not sure if DPMS has kept up with that. I just haven’t used much of their stuff at all.
Posted By: Bushmaster1313 Re: DPMS Sweet16 - 03/12/19
My DPMs in .243 Winchester makes very little sense from a practical perspective -- but it has the fit, finish and feel of a quality firearm. It operates flawlessly and is quite accurate with factory ammo.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Based on my experience I would not hesitate to purchase a DPMS Sweet 16
Posted By: Yondering Re: DPMS Sweet16 - 03/12/19
Originally Posted by Bushmaster1313
My DPMs in .243 Winchester makes very little sense from a practical perspective -- but it has the fit, finish and feel of a quality firearm. It operates flawlessly and is quite accurate with factory ammo.

You take some nice pictures, without a doubt!
Posted By: Bushmaster1313 Re: DPMS Sweet16 - 03/13/19
Originally Posted by Bushmaster1313

You take some nice pictures, without a doubt!

Take picture outdoors on a bright but cloudy day

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: scanf Re: DPMS Sweet16 - 12/22/19
I have had the following experiences over the last 10 years with DPMS rifles:

1. AR-10, 24 inch bull barrel, nightforce scope. 1/4 inch center to center at 100 yards. 10 ring at 1000 yards (prone with bipod). No issues.
2. Dissipator upper (love the look). 500 rounds a day for 4 days straight (cleaned nightly). No issues.
3. Classic xm177 clone. Fired 3 days, 500 rounds a day (cleaned nightly). No issues.
4. A2 Match upper on rock river lower. Several matches at 600 yards, very accurate, no issues.

Not sure why everyone is down on DPMS...they cycle fine for me. Clean, lube, and go :-)

NOTE: I only use magpul magazines.
Posted By: Tyrone Re: DPMS Sweet16 - 12/22/19
Originally Posted by scanf
Not sure why everyone is down on DPMS...they cycle fine for me. Clean, lube, and go :-)
Disclaimer: I've never owned a DPMS.
I think their quality control was kind of spotty back in the '80s and they used some weird chambers (like a .223 SAAMI in an AR).
Posted By: Kaiser Norton Re: DPMS Sweet16 - 12/29/19
I bought a DPMS rifle back during the Obama Scare, which is about what a Sweet 16 currently is, only mine doesn't have the bolt assist or the bolt cover on the upper receiver and the barrel is coated rather than bare stainless. No functionality issues to date, though I did decide to replace the factory trigger with an aftermarket. Accuracy is plenty adequate for what I'll use the rifle for (coyotes, skunks, etc). Would I buy again - not with the knowledge level I currently have. I know I can buy more rifle for near the same price elsewhere, and can build better if I've the inclination. As is though, the rifle is perfectly fine. And as I'll never get the exorbitant money I paid for it back, I'll hold on to it.

Kaiser Norton
© 24hourcampfire