Home
Posted By: David_Walter 6.5 grendel - 03/29/19
I have one a friend built. I want to convert it from a carbine stock to a rifle stock.

Will the buffer and spring for a 5.56 work?

I have a complete Magpul rifle stock with spring and buffer.

If not, what needs changed?
Posted By: tmax264 Re: 6.5 grendel - 03/29/19
It should work to the best of my knowledge. There are others here that know more than I do though. I'd try it myself, it either will or won't and it's really hard to tear up a buffer or spring.
Posted By: David_Walter Re: 6.5 grendel - 03/29/19
Good points.
Posted By: Tyrone Re: 6.5 grendel - 03/29/19
Yes.
Posted By: Yondering Re: 6.5 grendel - 03/29/19
Originally Posted by David_Walter
I have one a friend built. I want to convert it from a carbine stock to a rifle stock.

Yes. Buffers and springs are not caliber specific. They just need to be correctly balanced with your gas system (i.e. use the correct buffer weight for the amount of gas so it runs right) and the correct parts for the buffer tube. Don't mix carbine buffers in rifle tubes or vise versa.
Posted By: David_Walter Re: 6.5 grendel - 03/29/19
Thanks
Posted By: javman Re: 6.5 grendel - 03/31/19
Should work. I slapped my 6.5 Grendel on 5.56 stock and it is running well. You should be fine. If you see that your brass is a bit beat up it may require to shorten the spring on the ejector.
Posted By: armedferret Re: 6.5 grendel - 04/05/19
Originally Posted by Yondering

Yes. Buffers and springs are not caliber specific.

As long as you're talking small frame calibers vs other small frame calibers....large frame is a whoooole other ballgame.

But as the grendel is still a small frame, for this discussion there's no difference.
Posted By: Yondering Re: 6.5 grendel - 04/05/19
Well, yeah, I thought that was a given. But even then, it's still not caliber specific, it's long buffer tube vs AR15 tube. (the large frames can use either one)
Posted By: armedferret Re: 6.5 grendel - 04/07/19
Well, yeah, I thought that was a given. But even then, it's still not caliber specific, it's long buffer tube vs AR15 tube. (the large frames can use either one)

You can't use a standard ar15 carbine length buffer in an ar15 carbine tube on a large frame receiver.
Posted By: Yondering Re: 6.5 grendel - 04/08/19
Yes, I think most of us are aware of that as well.
Posted By: David_Walter Re: 6.5 grendel - 04/08/19
Originally Posted by armedferret

You can't use a standard ar15 carbine length buffer in an ar15 carbine tube on a large frame receiver.

Unless it is a PSA PA-10 gen two, then you can, because only the part forward of the trigger (i.e. the magazine well) is "AR-10" size. The rest of the parts are interchangeable with an AR-15.
Posted By: firefighter5318 Re: 6.5 grendel - 04/09/19

I run an A2 stock on my Grendel. Did not change anything. I do not like collapsible stocks but have them. In a .300 BLK I'm running a H3 buffer but don't need it. If it is not ejecting right then try an adjustable gas block. This will fix most cycling problems if there are any. If you run a rifle stock vs a collapsible you will have to run a rifle spring and buffer like has been said. I believe you will be very impressed with the Grendel. I have one in AR platform and a bolt action. I like them both.
Posted By: armedferret Re: 6.5 grendel - 04/16/19

Unless it is a PSA PA-10 gen two, then you can, because only the part forward of the trigger (i.e. the magazine well) is "AR-10" size. The rest of the parts are interchangeable with an AR-15.

And that means it's not a large frame now doesn't it? wink
Posted By: Yondering Re: 6.5 grendel - 04/16/19
armedferret - you seemed like a pretty decent and knowledgeable guy until just recently, but your last few replies sound like you're really looking for an argument. What's up?
Posted By: David_Walter Re: 6.5 grendel - 04/20/19
Thinking of trying a PSA 6.5 grendel or a 6.5 Creedmoor upper.

Anyone know whose barrels they use?

Any personal experience with either?
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: 6.5 grendel - 04/20/19
Tag.
I’m thinking my next build will be a 6.5 Grendel pistol for hog killing at the Ranch.
Posted By: Big Stick Re: 6.5 grendel - 04/21/19
Thinking of trying a PSA 6.5 grendel or a 6.5 Creedmoor upper.

Anyone know whose barrels they use?

Any personal experience with either?

Have shot both and cain't know the source of either. The Kreedmire boasts the latitude(s) associated,to grant the ability to shoot 147's in a Self Shucker...which the 264 Grendel ain't even begin to fathom.

Hint..................(grin)
Posted By: 79S Re: 6.5 grendel - 04/21/19
Pretty sure psa makes their own barrels. They bought their own hammer forging equipment. They had pictures over on AR15.com This was covered awhile back.
Posted By: Big Stick Re: 6.5 grendel - 04/21/19
I cain't know.

What I can know,is that their stuff SHOOTS.

Hint....................(grin)
Posted By: armedferret Re: 6.5 grendel - 04/29/19
armedferret - you seemed like a pretty decent and knowledgeable guy until just recently, but your last few replies sound like you're really looking for an argument. What's up?

Probably has much to do with others attempting to start an argument by being pedantic. I have no problem dropping to that level and gettin muddy if people wanna drag me to it.

Here's a 12" PSA barreled grendel that'll maybe shut people up and keep the discussion on forking topic.

[Linked Image]
Grendel by .com/photos/171117699@N03/]Professor Horseyhead, on that photo hosting site they have the name of censored because it hurts precious lil feelers
Posted By: Ptarmigan Re: 6.5 grendel - 04/29/19
I've got an 18" SS PSA upper showing up tomorrow. I'll be interested in seeing how it shoots. I'm hoping my 10yr old will use it this fall for caribou. I picked up some Fusion ammo thinking it might hold together better than the SST or ELD stuff, though it's not flinging at magnum speeds.
Posted By: David_Walter Re: 6.5 grendel - 04/29/19
the 130 grain Berger Federal match is 7/8" accurate in my gun.
Posted By: NVhntr Re: 6.5 grendel - 04/29/19
I'll have to give that a try. I tried some 123gr ELD-M Hornady Black and could only get about 1-1/4". Saturn 5R barrel. It was the first time out for that upper.
Posted By: Ptarmigan Re: 6.5 grendel - 04/29/19
As much as I want accurate, I also want performance on game. Caribou are relatively easy to kill but I don't want bullets blowing up either.
Posted By: David_Walter Re: 6.5 grendel - 04/29/19
Bergers make great game bullets.
Posted By: armedferret Re: 6.5 grendel - 04/30/19
Originally Posted by Ptarmigan
As much as I want accurate, I also want performance on game. Caribou are relatively easy to kill but I don't want bullets blowing up either.

Barnes is my go-to for most hunting. ELDs at subsonic veolicty out of my 10.5" blackout fragmented badly enough on a CNS neck shot that half a shoulder was lost. I can't imagine what would have happened with something moving even faster.

Interestingly, 125SST out of the same rig (obviously over twice the speed, 2200ish fps) yielded no fragmentation found, complete pass-through, inch-ish sized exit hole and lung soup with a 25-yard "escape" and then drop. Caribou are a bit larger though, so I'd side with you that something more sturdy is in order. for a 6.5, 100/120TTSX or 120/130 TSX BT (there's a 130 FB as well) would not disappoint. Yes there's cheaper options out there for range time and such, but i do love me some Barnes leg-humping time. Guilty pleasure. wink
Posted By: David_Walter Re: 6.5 grendel - 04/30/19
'Bou are easy to kill.

Sometimes they act like they don't know it, though.
Posted By: David_Walter Re: 6.5 grendel - 04/30/19
Probably has much to do with others attempting to start an argument by being pedantic. I have no problem dropping to that level and gettin muddy if people wanna drag me to it.

Had to look it up. Who knew?

A pedant is a person who is excessively concerned with formalism, accuracy, and precision, or one who makes an ostentatious and arrogant show of learning. Wikipedia
Posted By: Tyrone Re: 6.5 grendel - 04/30/19

Had to look it up. Who knew?

A pedant is a person who is excessively concerned with formalism, accuracy, and precision, or one who makes an ostentatious and arrogant show of learning. Wikipedia
Rampant on the internet, no?
© 24hourcampfire