Home
Posted By: BOW777 AR pistol 300 blackout accuracy - 06/16/19
I recently got a 300 blackout AR pistol from Palmetto state in 8.5" barrel. I've shot several ammo in the 125 thru 135 grain with HORRIBLE accuracy out of quality ammo.It an 1:8 twist. My friend got the same AR pistol with only slightly better results. At 100yds, I can't get anything less than 8-10" group. Is it bad barrels or What? Any help would be appreciated.
If it's barrel related, any barrel suggestion in something 10.5" or less?
Thanks for the help!
Stock trigger? Shooting off bags? Bipod? Offhand? What kind of optics if any?

Oh have you tried any heavier bullets?
Stock trigger, off benched bipod with rear support, with 2-7x32 optics. Avg 8" groups
What's typical accuracy for a 8.5" 300BO at 100 yards?
Don't if this is "typical" but according to this range test a POF P415 Edge Pistol with a 10.5" barrel "... produced five-shot groups of two inches or less at 100 yards with the Black Hills 125-grain OTM, fired from a bipod with the MRO 2 MOA red dot sight."

See:

https://www.swatmag.com/article/short-barrel-big-performance-pof-usa-p415-edge-pistol/
I has a 10” Diamondback AR Pistol in 300 BO that would shoot sub 2” 5-shot 100 yard groups with the better factory ammo off of a rest.
8 twist go heavier bullets.300BO shines as sub sonic suppressed round
Around 2 moa seems realistic.

Maybe double check optics are mounted snug.

Maybe try a different optic.

My 10.5" 5.56 does about 3" at 100 yards with Green Tip. Using bipod/rear bag.
I'd start to suspect optics or mounts or something loose first.

Are you capable of better groups with an AR pistol, and thats not a slam. Just asking. IE have a proven shooter shoot and if thats you, thats good too.

I don't have a pistol but I found my subsonic rounds were a bit touchier for accuracy in the rifle than supersonic ones were.

Not all factory ammo does well in all factory barrels.

There is the chance that its the barrel. I"d give PSA a call. They might tell you something you dont' like to hear like thats within our parameters... like TC did once on an MZ to me, shot 4-5 inches at 100 so I sent it back, they sent it back with a 5 inch group and said it works fine, I said thats the size I'm getting and I"m not happy. Sorry. So off to Green Mountain I went and then had an easy 1.5 inch 100 yard 54 renegade rather than a 5 inch one.
You would think even a real sewer pipe of a barrel would do better than 8-10 moa.

If the glass/mount is not askew, I'd pull the gas tube and make sure the barrel nut is properly snugged down.
2 inches were routine with Barnes 110 grain vortex bullets over H110 at 100 yards when I had my AAC 1-7 pistol with a 1-4 SWFA scope on it.
© 24hourcampfire