Home
I herd the house was going to pass a bill for limited round mags, who makes the best mags for the money?

And who sells them for the best price?

Tracy
ASC or Magpul are my favorites.

ASC Magazines at Gun Mag Warehouse
I think I like the DSG Arms mags as well as MagPul and they're about the same price. Also have people who swear by Lancer mags, but I haven't used them myself check this, just copy and paste
https://dsgarms.com/magazines?man=d...;viewmode=grid&man=magpul+industries
I’ve had to have (7) different ASC mags be replaced for failing to function, at all. C-products have worked better than ASC. Magpul, Lancer, and issue-brand mags are my standard 5.56 mags. You can catch deals on all.
CDNN still has ASC's for $10.

https://www.cdnnsports.com/magazines.html#manufacturer=ASC
Brownells

kwg
Magpul are all I buy anymore.
I don't have an AR at the moment but I like magpul 30 rounders. When I was doing 5 round accuracy tests with my last 2 ARs I'd load the hottest load at the bottom and work backwards to the lightest load at the top, 25 rounds, 5 loads, 5 rounds each. Just count shots and switch targets every 5 rounds. I never had ANY feeding issues or problems of any sort with them. I can't see a reason to choose anything else.

Tom
Originally Posted by kwg020
Brownells

kwg

Agreed.
For the money, Magpul...
Magpul from Brownells in bulk and free shipping.
Gen 3 Magpul according to an expert I won't second guess. Can occasionally be had for under $10.
Originally Posted by TWR

Yup, just ordered another 10 pack of gen-3 30 rounders for 129 bucks with free shipping. smile
I don’t care for 30 rounders can’t remember the last time I used one. I have several different brands of 10 and 20 round mags. My favorite are 20 round Colt mags, stainless Dura Mag by C products defense and gen3 Magpul.
Pmag 20 for me, if we're talking 5.56 or 308. I don't care much for the 30 round either.

ASC or E-Lander for Grendel or SPC based cartridges.
Originally Posted by boatanchor
I don’t care for 30 rounders can’t remember the last time I used one. I have several different brands of 10 and 20 round mags. **My favorite are 20 round Colt mags**....

This!
I like the 20's too but 30's get lots of use around here.
Originally Posted by Huntingnut
Magpul are all I buy anymore.

This x2
Originally Posted by Yondering
Pmag 20 for me, if we're talking 5.56 or 308. I don't care much for the 30 round either.

^^^This^^^
Originally Posted by gunner500
Originally Posted by TWR

Yup, just ordered another 10 pack of gen-3 30 rounders for 129 bucks with free shipping. smile

You know ya gonna have to give'em up when Beto is elected Pres... blush

He said as much... grin

DF
PSA has sales on ammo and mags.

if you figure the mags at 100 that is .26 a piece for ammo.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/1000-rds-american-eagle-5-56mm-fmj-steel-core-ammo-ten-magpul-pmag-30-5-56x45mm-magazines.html?trk_msg=T71LMJUJQ5IKT4U0VCKELRTIGK&trk_contact=PRONIAHTI69QGH9TL8A6LEIFBO&trk_sid=HFQ8LD4NGV81GD40IVDG1KUN9K&utm_source=Listrak&utm_medium=email&utm_term=https%3a%2f%2fpalmettostatearmory.com%2f1000-rds-american-eagle-5-56mm-fmj-steel-core-ammo-ten-magpul-pmag-30-5-56x45mm-magazines.html&utm_campaign=Daily+Deal&utm_content=12%3a00+Email

charlee
PSA

Maybe this
PSA has D&H mags on sale right now cheap. They're another good reliable aluminum mag that I believe was on Gov't contract for a while. Not coollooking plastic though if that's your thing. D&H Mags
Originally Posted by kwg020
Brownells

kwg

Love em.
Buy a case or 2.
Originally Posted by boatanchor
I don’t care for 30 rounders can’t remember the last time I used one. I have several different brands of 10 and 20 round mags. My favorite are 20 round Colt mags, stainless Dura Mag by C products defense and gen3 Magpul.

30's are for house and farm duty, 20's and 10's for dinking around at the bench.
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by gunner500
Originally Posted by TWR

You know ya gonna have to give'em up when Beto is elected Pres... blush

He said as much... grin

DF

Yes, and in the name of safety, i'll give em all my ammo first ; ]
I use Lancers when it is life or death
In the house, out and about
Best for the $$$$$
Agree with the PMAG posts
How far do the various magazines extend below the bottom of the magazine well? I have a couple 5s which are necessary here to be legal for hunting game animals, and some 30s. I'm curious about 10s and 20s.
I prefer 20s for all around use as they allow me to shoot prone whereas I cannot as easily with 30s. I’ve run 10s dry on a sounder of pigs and broke my rhythm. I just got a box full of 20 rounders from ASC and they look good so far.
Originally Posted by T_O_M
How far do the various magazines extend below the bottom of the magazine well? I have a couple 5s which are necessary here to be legal for hunting game animals, and some 30s. I'm curious about 10s and 20s.

20rd AR15 Pmags are about even with the bottom of the grip; i.e. about half the mag is inside the magwell.
Originally Posted by TheKid
I prefer 20s for all around use as they allow me to shoot prone whereas I cannot as easily with 30s. I’ve run 10s dry on a sounder of pigs and broke my rhythm. I just got a box full of 20 rounders from ASC and they look good so far.

Yeah, I could see running a 10rd dry on a scatter. 20, not so much. Good luck with the ASCs. All those I’ve had sucked, until modified at the feed lips and front strap.
The ASC 20 in stainless steel seems to run just fine with no adjustment. Do you have the aluminums?
I use magpul, nary a problem with them!
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
The ASC 20 in stainless steel seems to run just fine with no adjustment. Do you have the aluminums?

Mine are all SS and have been okay so far
Originally Posted by T_O_M

20rd AR15 Pmags are about even with the bottom of the grip; i.e. about half the mag is inside the magwell.

Thanks .. that's what I needed to know!
I get the mags that the Navy operators use,i kind of have an inside source.
Don't know who makes them but they are used and i have never had a problem.

I do like the ASC mags,i use them in my 6.5 grendel,10 and 15 round.
The navy ones might just be the HK Stainless versions (but all I have are marked) or just unmarked OKIs with tan followers. If you can find a deal on USGI issue/issue contract, tan follower mags, they’re proven as good as anything made by anyone.
Originally Posted by nimrodtracy
I herd the house was going to pass a bill for limited round mags, who makes the best mags for the money?

And who sells them for the best price?

Tracy

I like the Brownells aluminum mags, made to mil spec. I've heard that when the Magpul mags are left loaded for years, the feed lips spread, causing malfunctions. Aluminum mags can be kept loaded indefinitely without this happening. I keep the aluminum mags for loaded mags ready to go, and use my Magpuls only as range mags, leaving them empty when not in use.
Originally Posted by hh4whiskey
I’ve had to have (7) different ASC mags be replaced for failing to function, at all. C-products have worked better than ASC. Magpul, Lancer, and issue-brand mags are my standard 5.56 mags. You can catch deals on all.

Unlike Magpul, Lancers have steel inserts to prevent feed lips spread when left loaded for extended periods.
Magpul claims that the spreading feed lips was cured with the Gen3 magazines. Anyone have enough experience with the Gen3 to prove them wrong?
It's been my understanding the aluminium mags spread the feedlips,
and the clip thing on Magpul's pushes the top round down, along with keeping out dirt.
Magpul claims that the spreading feed lips was cured with the Gen3 magazines. Anyone have enough experience with the Gen3 to prove them wrong?

My experience seems to indicate they are right. I've had a couple loaded for about 4 (rough guess) years that seem to be in great shape. I do not have the cover attached to them, although it may be a good idea it hasn't been an issue for me. They are in a go-bag ready to pull out and load in a rifle.
My experiences with gen 3 Pmags has been flawless, unlike most other brands including anything with steel or aluminum feed lips. Lancers seem OK but IMO are maybe a bit overrated.
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
It's been my understanding the aluminium mags spread the feedlips,
and the clip thing on Magpul's pushes the top round down, along with keeping out dirt.

This is true about the clip, but who keeps those on? Most of them get lost.

My experience seems to indicate they are right. I've had a couple loaded for about 4 (rough guess) years that seem to be in great shape. I do not have the cover attached to them, although it may be a good idea it hasn't been an issue for me. They are in a go-bag ready to pull out and load in a rifle.
My experiences with gen 3 Pmags has been flawless, unlike most other brands including anything with steel or aluminum feed lips. Lancers seem OK but IMO are maybe a bit overrated.

Damn. I've got a [bleep] load of Pmag AR magazines, and I just checked, and they are all Gen M2. So now I need to replace all thirty or so of them with the latest Gen??
Actually, I just checked some more of them, and a large percentage of my Pmags are actually Gen M3 (They have that dot matrix thing on the bottom). Didn't realize I had that many in total. You pick them up here and there over the years, and you forget how many you have.
Funny, I've got gen 2 mags loaded and stashed that have been loaded and shot for years and I've never had one crack or spread the feed lips.

I did have one of the first ones crack in the spine but I rotated all of them out. I've got new gen3's too but see no need to quit using gen 2's.
Originally Posted by TWR
Funny, I've got gen 2 mags loaded and stashed that have been loaded and shot for years and I've never had one crack or spread the feed lips.

I did have one of the first ones crack in the spine but I rotated all of them out. I've got new gen3's too but see no need to quit using gen 2's.

That's good to know. I won't worry, then.
How do you lose the pmag clip?
It snaps on the bottom when you take it off the top.
But then I'm anal about that stuff.
It appears that those clips aren't designed to prevent feed lip spreading. They are designed to protect the feed lips from damage when loaded mags are jostled around in a container, such as when in a moving vehicle. If yours aren't exposed to that, you might as well not have the clips on them. They don't prevent feed lip spreading. That's according to Magpul, who also says keeping them loaded without the clips on will not cause that problem anyway, for either Gen M2 or Gen M3.
I personally haven’t had a G2 P-Mag failure from long term storage or feed lip abuse.....even though many of my mags will likely only see storage and jostling around on occasion, with 29rds in them until the [bleep] DOES hit the fan. It’s good to rotate them all through some actual use, but there’ll be some that I’ll never take the time to dig out.

FWIW, I still say the Lancers (Tag) are nicer mags, period.....and the Troys (Sunnto) are also smoother than magpuls (Casio G-Force) for loading rounds (spring travel,etc). The HKs are like the Rolex of mags. Military tans are a high end timex. At the end of the day, they all tell the time. LOL
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
The title is “Best 5.56 AR mag”.

When it comes to reliability there is a best AR mag. Three extensive US DOD reliability tests have been conducted with extreme temperature testing, drop testing, and longevity. Every viable magazine was included, and the only make and model mag to suffer no (0) magazine related malfunctions is the Magpul GEN3 Pmag. The shortest test was over 20,000 rounds. The longest over 40,000.

Whatever real or perceived issues one had with prior generation Pmag has no bearing on the Gen 3.
^^^^^^ ‘Best bang for the $’ was the actual title, though Magpul still likely wins out in that regard.

The reality is: 95% of AR shooters will never be as brutal to their magazines or run enough rounds through them, to tax the reliability/durability of them, as is a line grunt or SOF team member using issued/inherited/swapped around mags.....even in peacetime. Good troops clean/PMCS the mags in their kit. They don’t clean the ‘spares’, until they ‘own’ them, and they damned sure don’t baby any of them. They’ll get dropped on dirt and concrete, stepped on, bounced off plates, armored doors, and hard points everywhere.....loaded up. Being full of trash and still working, is probably where a Magpul might have held an edge over anything metal. Taken care of even half way, any of those mentioned will run like Swiss watches, for a looong time.
Pretty hard to fault zero failures. And can be had for $10-$11. I bought some more just to set on a shelf. Got 10s and 20s too just because.
© 24hourcampfire