Home
I've been building bolt actions for 40-something years, but so far I haven't found a good reason to own anything in the AR category. .223 poodle shooters hold absolutely no interest for me- - - -I've even got a lower receiver and a parts kit stashed away that someone gave me, and I have no interest whatsoever in completing it. Now, a .308- - - -that's almost a real cartridge, just a .30-06 that was picked before it got fully ripe!

If I decide to build up an AR-10 from an 80% receiver, how about some suggestions on which one to buy, including machining jigs and other accessories needed to do a professional-quality job of the project? I've got a full machine shop, and I routinely start with an unturned barrel blank and a milsurp Mauser receiver, and build hunting and/or varmint rifles that will dot a groundhog's eye at 300+ yards. Thanks in advance!
Jerry
LMT.
It looks like all they sell are complete receivers at outrageous prices. Guess I'll ask somewhere somebody actually posts coherent responses.
jerry
That's all I had time to respond at the time . My buddy is building a kick-ass AR-10 off a stripped LMT lower.
But, I'll know better than to respond next time.
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
It looks like all they sell are complete receivers at outrageous prices. Guess I'll ask somewhere somebody actually posts coherent responses.
jerry

Wrong.
I just finished a 80% Noreen Firearms receiver which came out nice. I'm waiting on parts to finish it up but it looks well made.
Noreen Firearms 80% are generally reasonable, for price.
The one thing to keep in mind is AR-10 are not mill spec. So one brand lower will not necessarily work with a different brand upper. So what ever brand lower you go with buy the same brand upper if not you will not have a working / functioning AR-10.
Originally Posted by Troy66
The one thing to keep in mind is AR-10 are not mill spec. So one brand lower will not necessarily work with a different brand upper. So what ever brand lower you go with buy the same brand upper if not you will not have a working / functioning AR-10.

Sage words, Troy..

https://308ar.com/ar-10-308-ar-compatibility-reference-guide/
Originally Posted by Troy66

Truth!
I had a Rock River 308. It was really accurate.
Don’t waste your time. Just buy the Smith & Wesson MP 10. As somebody earlier stated, parts don’t swap easily. My personal opinion is buy a complete rifle. And the S&W’s shoot. Bug holes.
© 24hourcampfire