Home
Opinions wanted please. Would you pin and weld it for use as a rifle or keep as-is for a pistol?
I'd go pinned/welded.

I've got uppers in 14.5" and 14.7". Both are pinned/welded to 16". I've also got pistol uppers and a braced pistol lower.

Kind of nice to put a real buttstock on the 14.X" uppers.
You might want to consider the regulations in your state.

Some states allow registration as a pistol, & thus un-pinned, but impose a contradictory overall length restriction (like less than 26") for transportation purposes even with a CPL.

That might be a consideration in your decision.

MM
MM,fortunately I am in TN.

Quoting Bob Lee Swagger - "patron state of shootin' stuff"
In that case, I'd go the pistol route, as long as you can transport as a pistol on your car seat.

MM
I received this upper earlier this week. Very nice to come home and its waiting for me vs. having to go to some FFL to pick up. Snapped it on a lower I had, really liking it. Built like a solid STHF piece, thinking I need to make the lower as durable. I am thinking a TN build using CMT ambi billet lower UHP-15A which I have on another build. Made in Lexington, TN. My concern is compatibility with a Maxim Defense pistol brace (will the rails hit the lower or the ambi controls on the right side).
Originally Posted by cotis

Quoting Bob Lee Swagger - "patron state of shootin' stuff"
Speaking of whom, the latest Stephen Hunter book sucked. I think he finally reached the point, like all successful authors do, of just going through the motions. The same thing has happened to Clancy, Baldacci and the rest.
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
I'd go pinned/welded.

I've got uppers in 14.5" and 14.7". Both are pinned/welded to 16". I've also got pistol uppers and a braced pistol lower.

Kind of nice to put a real buttstock on the 14.X" uppers.

Agree. I have 2 14.5 barrels with a pinned flash hider. I want to build a 12.5" with some kind of extended flash hider for my next one. I think 12.5 is short enough. I see no value in 5.56 pistols and I don't want to mess around getting the short barreled rifle federal permit.

kwg
© 24hourcampfire