Home
A while back I bought a Magpul PRS stock to upgrade my old Colt AR. I really like it except for the damn enormous recoil pad (for the ultra powerful 223) that acts like a magnet for all of my clothing and constantly gets in the way of mounting the rifle (off of the bench). Is there anyone making a simple aluminum plate that can replace the recoil pad? If I still worked I could whip something up myself but no longer have access to tools or a shop! I may get a few chances to off a couple coyotes this winter and I can see missing opportunities while trying to get this damn pad untangled from my coats and actually get it to my shoulder! OR maybe I should just use the old trusty shotgun if they come in close! lol
Can you pull it off and go without? Use a different material like you said, aluminum, plastic, wood, sandpaper.
I kinda asked BEFORE I pulled the darn thing off! It's a little more complicated than a simple plate (damn it)! I guess I must be backwards to everyone else as it seems thru my searches that many others want a bigger and softer pad (although their shooting AR10's in calibers that do kick harder than my little 223). I guess I will have to see if I can get used to it without the pad/mount! Hell just for the few shots taken during a hunt it wouldn't be a problem anyway (hopefully)!
Put a coat of clear nail polish on it, I have seen competitive shotgun shooters do that.
Thanks! I may try grinding down the top and bottom of the pad at angles AND try this nail polish thing! I guess it sure can't hurt!
Originally Posted by GhettoSportman
I kinda asked BEFORE I pulled the darn thing off! It's a little more complicated than a simple plate (damn it)! I guess I must be backwards to everyone else as it seems thru my searches that many others want a bigger and softer pad (although their shooting AR10's in calibers that do kick harder than my little 223). I guess I will have to see if I can get used to it without the pad/mount! Hell just for the few shots taken during a hunt it wouldn't be a problem anyway (hopefully)!

Im assuming you bought the gen 3 PRS. The gen 2 would have been better suited for your needs.
Yes! It is a gen3. I saw in my searches where some folks are wanting to swap their gen3's for gen2's. I did come up with a way to make a plate work but I don't have Autocad anymore to whip up the drawings and by the time I had it made it would be much cheaper just to buy another buttstock! lol
I watched a unboxing and install video for the Magpul PRS stock.
It looks like you could take of the pad and use A piece of 20 gauge sheet metal as a backer and gorilla glue a piece of leather on.
charlee
Thanks! I think it could be done kinda nice with a fine piece of wood 1.5"x5.25"x0.375". Might be easier to find someone locally with a wood shop who could whip it up fairly quickly. (maybe not) lol
Originally Posted by GhettoSportman

You should have bought a gen 1 or gen 2, their recoil pads are thinner than the gen 3 PRS stocks. So thin, in fact, that i always upgrade to what they call the "enhanced" thicker pad. I only do that to increase LOP on the shorter gen 1.
© 24hourcampfire