Home
Posted By: GrimJim Dutch pick .260 Remington - 01/02/20
According to Jane's today, the Dutch have given notice that they intend to award a contract for semi-automatic designated marksman rifles chambered in .260 Remington. They are going to 6.5mm but not to the 6.5mm Creedmoor. They will evaluate competitors and then award a contract in the April 2020 timeframe.

GrymJym
This makes sense to me. The 260 is based on the 308 which was designed for semi and full auto firearms. The Creed wasn't.
Posted By: viking Re: Dutch pick .260 Remington - 01/03/20
It’s interesting how military calibers have come and gone and then come back again.

There seemed to be a few 6.5’s around the WW1 era.
Posted By: GrimJim Re: Dutch pick .260 Remington - 01/03/20
Yes, the Dutch used a 6.5mm round into WWII.
Posted By: basdjs Re: Dutch pick .260 Remington - 01/03/20
Originally Posted by Dave_in_WV
This makes sense to me. The 260 is based on the 308 which was designed for semi and full auto firearms. The Creed wasn't.

This ^^^^
Posted By: gunzo Re: Dutch pick .260 Remington - 01/08/20
Originally Posted by basdjs
Originally Posted by Dave_in_WV

This ^^^^

This ^^^ for me as well. For one simple reason. The shoulder angle on the 260 should offer smoother & more reliable feeding.
Posted By: Jason280 Re: Dutch pick .260 Remington - 01/16/20
There seemed to be a few 6.5’s around the WW1 era.

The Swedes were using a 6.5 before 1900...
Maybe this could breathe new life into a cartridge suffering from plummeting popularity. A good thing, IMO, there's not a damned thing wrong with the cartridge (other than the fact it's not a Creeeeeeedmoor).
© 24hourcampfire