Home
Posted By: RAAK Talk me out of selling my Scar 17 - 01/14/20
I’ve had my scar for 6 years and while I do love it some things get on my nerves. It’s bulky and kind of heavy. I’ve had to change the trigger and the lower to take p mags. I seriously thinking about selling it to fund a top tier AR10 or 300blk AR. I have 3 silencers and putting one on the end of the scar makes it even bulkier and heavier. I can build a sub 6lb 308AR or a sub 5lb AR. I don’t know what to do but I’m seriously considering selling this bad a$$ rifle. Talk me out of it or talk me into it. I don’t care.
Sorry,

I can't make a case for the Scar.

I think there are better options.
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Sorry,

I agree for me it would be an Easy Sell.
I think I will. I think I’ll sell it and build a lightweight top shelf. 308 AR.
Or, just buy an LMT MWS in 7.62x51 and go forth and prosper.
That thing weighs almost 10 lbs. no thank you. It’s nice and all but I’d keep the scar if that was my only choice. Heavy and bulky are the main reasons l don’t like the scar.
I know the scar is light compared to other large frame ARs but it’s still almost 8lbs with no optic or mag. I love how light and handy my Kimber 308s are and I want a semi auto like that.
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Sorry,

Nope. Me either. Don't like em. Never have.
I owned one, ran it out to 800 yards all the time, even with that skinny barrel. Once I put a smaller gas port in, it kicked soft, and gas block worked well going back and forth suppressed vs unsuppressed. For a semi auto 308 platform, it's hard to beat. I have an OBR as well which was a tad more accurate, but even heavier.

In the end, I sold my SCAR for the same reasons you are thinking about selling yours. I get a lot of use out of my 5.56 and 6.8 ARs shooting pigs, I never could find a practical use for the SCAR. So I sold it. Will probably end up selling the OBR as well.
I was searching and found a couple of threads by the same guy who has built a sub 4lb!!!! 308 AR. It has a lot of exotic parts but I think 5-6 lbs should be no problem. Especially if I sbr it. Maybe shoot for 6lbs all up with an Aimpoint micro and a full mag.
Why not just run a 6.8 or 300 BLK or 6.5 Grendel or something? They are all way more efficient in a short barrel than 308 based round will be.
I have seriously considered a 300blk but I’m invested in sr25 P mags and 308 ammo. If I do a 300blk it will be in a bolt or pump or lever to keep it quiet with my silencer. I’ve shot my can on an AR 300 and it was quiet but not as quiet as a bolt 300 or even my 308 bolt with subs.
I bought a griffin gp7 silencer that is made to pinned and welded and that was the original plan on the scar so I guess that is what will happen with the new one if i sell the scar. While all those calibers may be more efficient out of a short barrel a 12.5” 308 will still reach out there and have more power than any of those.
Why not just run a 6.8 or 300 BLK or 6.5 Grendel or something? They are all way more efficient in a short barrel than 308 based round will be.

Originally Posted by RAAK
I have seriously considered a 300blk but I’m invested in sr25 P mags and 308 ammo. If I do a 300blk it will be in a bolt or pump or lever to keep it quiet with my silencer. I’ve shot my can on an AR 300 and it was quiet but not as quiet as a bolt 300 or even my 308 bolt with subs.

Sell the mags. You can buy ASC's, which are excellent, very inexpensively for the above calibers.
I heard the scar was hard on scopes?
The Acog on it hasn’t had any problems.
I am going to sell it. I’ll try it in the classifieds here tomorrow or the next day.
I was searching and found a couple of threads by the same guy who has built a sub 4lb!!!! 308 AR. It has a lot of exotic parts but I think 5-6 lbs should be no problem. Especially if I sbr it. Maybe shoot for 6lbs all up with an Aimpoint micro and a full mag.

Probably Breastroker I'd guess? He's built some neat stuff, and I had the pleasure of helping him with machining on a couple parts; great guy.

I would lean toward building something like that as well, but for the guys who want to just buy something, look at the Balios Lite 308. You'll pay for it, but they did a nice job of building a lightweight 308 AR.

One thing I'd caution about though, especially since bulk is one of your complaints about the SCAR (and I agree) - even a very light weight 308 AR is still going to be bulky, at least around the mag well. There are some options out there using smaller AR15-ish sized uppers and handguards which I like the idea of, but the mag well is still bulky to handle those 308 mags.

I'm not one of those guys who claims 6.5 Grendel is almost as good as 308 (it's not), but if you want 308 range without needing as much power or recoil, a lightweight build around a 6.5 or 6mm/243 Grendel-based round is a good option partly because it can be a LOT less bulky. The 6mm versions in particular can be really flat shooting. You can build something fairly slim and stay around 6lb even with a 20" barrel without going too exotic on parts, and lighter than that if you want to go nuts like Breastroker. smile
Over rated.
Over priced.
Overly complex.
Overly uncommon for parts.
Overly bulky.

Ugly as sin.

Sell it....
Someone will think it is the greatest thing on the planet
Price it to move, and dont regret getting what ya put into it.

Buy what ya want......
I really don't much care if you sell it or not......................really stupid thread & use of bandwidth.

MM
LMAO!
If you do go for a light weight 308 build, consider using a light weight bolt carrier as part of the operating system. I was able to remove about 4 ounces from these carriers, making them approximately the same weight as a full auto AR15 carrier. That much weight reduction in the carrier makes a difference in how easy the rifle is to shoot, but has not compromised reliability in my 308 at all.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
I really don't much care if you sell it or not......................really stupid thread & use of bandwidth.

MM

Jeez. I guess I don’t have enough posts to be worth the bandwidth. If it’s so stupid why did you click on it and feel compelled to reply. Just to be that way I guess. Nah. I don’t care. It’s all fun and games. But I really should have named it pros and cons or something.
Yes it was breastroker that had the builds I was looking at.

Originally Posted by Yondering
If you do go for a light weight 308 build, consider using a light weight bolt carrier as part of the operating system. I was able to remove about 4 ounces from these carriers, making them approximately the same weight as a full auto AR15 carrier. That much weight reduction in the carrier makes a difference in how easy the rifle is to shoot, but has not compromised reliability in my 308 at all.

I was reading about the JP Low mass bolt carrier and they only recommended it for race guns and such. Mine won’t be a duty gun but I still don’t want a jammer. Did you increase the spring rate to make up for the low mass?
I’ve got an R25 that I’m in the same boat with. It’s basically impossible to hunt with because it weighs like 85 lbs
Yes it was breastroker that had the builds I was looking at.

Originally Posted by Yondering

I was reading about the JP Low mass bolt carrier and they only recommended it for race guns and such. Mine won’t be a duty gun but I still don’t want a jammer. Did you increase the spring rate to make up for the low mass?

Sorry, missed your question last week.

There are some liability reasons for JP's statements, but also those apply a lot more to the aluminum carriers that wear out a lot faster than a steel carrier.

I did not change any springs or buffers to use those light weight carriers, just tuning the gas system (restricting gas more than a heavy carrier needs) is all that was required. Both of those were just as reliable afterwards, but a little easier to shoot well with less reciprocating mass. It's possible the heavy mass of an AR10 bolt carrier might be necessary in a full auto application, but for a semi-auto civilian rifle the standard 308 carriers are a lot heavier than they need to be. You can safely take these carriers down to 10-11 oz and still expect full reliability as long as the gas system is tuned to match.

Keep in mind that most 308 ARs are seriously overgassed with some loads, and an adjustable gas block or some other gas tuning method is a must, whether you use a light carrier or not.
© 24hourcampfire