Home
Posted By: 14Homer RRA LAR-8 vs Armalite AR10 - 06/03/20
I have been thinking about getting a AR10 A4 and was looking at a Rock River Arms LAR-8. I have had good luck with my RRA AR15's so I thought getting their LAR-8 would work out okay. Especially since they guarantee 1 inch groups at 100 yards. Then I found out they use FAL magazines. Looking around I saw that Armalite had an AR10 A4 but the accuracy was only estimated at 1.5 - 2 inches at 100 yards. But the Armalite uses standard magazines. Any advice on which way to go? Or are their more makers of AR10 A4's?

Are you wanting a 308, or 6.5 creedmoor? If 6.5 creedmoor floats your boat, I'd look into the S&W performance center. They use a 20" 5R barrel and they shoot pretty dang good. I don't shoot mine much, but this is how it did in the black rifle challenge:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I prefer the 6.5 cm over the 308w personally. Here's how my 308 does:
Posted By: 14Homer Re: RRA LAR-8 vs Armalite AR10 - 06/04/20
I shoot a 6.5 Creedmoor in a RPR quite a bit and I love it but for this rifle I was going to go back to a .308.
Originally Posted by 14Homer
I shoot a 6.5 Creedmoor in a RPR quite a bit and I love it but for this rifle I was going to go back to a .308.

Cool, its nice to have a 308 in the stable. I'll bet your RPR is pretty accurate.
Rock River makes a new 308 that takes P3 magazines.
Thing about getting one of these myself. I did notice the didn’t have a MOA guarantee.

https://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=2027
Posted By: Tyrone Re: RRA LAR-8 vs Armalite AR10 - 06/04/20
I'd take the Armalite over the LAR all day every day. I have not been impressed with FAL mags. If you want some, I'll send you a bunch that don't work.
Posted By: AH64guy Re: RRA LAR-8 vs Armalite AR10 - 06/04/20
Originally Posted by louiethedrifter
Rock River makes a new 308 that takes P3 magazines.
Thing about getting one of these myself. I did notice the didn’t have a MOA guarantee.

https://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=2027

If Rock River has made the jump fully into the P-3 magazine world, I'd be there. I'd agree with the comment above - the FAL magazine design seemed to be problematic for reliable feeding from what I've seem at the range.

The Armalites are very good in my experience, but I've enjoyed my Rock River products more in the 5.56 and 6.8 calibers.
You cant compare a RRA AR15 to a RRA AR308 that takes odd ball magazines. Save yourself the headache and get one that takes standard P mags, like the one i suggested. Hell, even the DPMS LR308 takes p mags. The Armalites built after 2011 take p mags as well. The older AR10 Armalites are great rifles, but use proprietary magazines. But at least they work very well.
14Hommer,
Just throwing this out there, a start.

https://www.cdnnsports.com/dpms-ar-308-build-kit2.html?trk_msg=2G8NPPNA3N54JAMTAOA5F9JNSS&trk_contact=PRONIAHTI69QGH9TL8A6LEIFBO&trk_sid=IVA3S8PKAIPBOG3GD15K28K8SC&utm_source=listrak&utm_medium=email&utm_term=https%3a%2f%2fwww.cdnnsports.com%2fdpms-ar-308-build-kit2.html%23.XqMxIy-z3UI&utm_campaign=CDNN+AR15+Parts+6-4#.XqMxIy-z3UI

charlee
Go with the armalite, or check out cmmg and see if they suit your fancy.
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...AA7BFCB627587817BD61AA7BFC&FORM=VIRE
Posted By: 14Homer Re: RRA LAR-8 vs Armalite AR10 - 06/07/20
While I was doing some more research I see where a lot of people liked DPMS rifles. I found a new DPMS LR308 that looked pretty good? It sounds like Remington may not be making DPMS or Bushmaster rifles anymore after buying them. What is your opinion of the DPMS rifles? The one I am looking at has a stainless steel barrel, supposedly a target rifles.
Posted By: 14Homer Re: RRA LAR-8 vs Armalite AR10 - 06/07/20

This looks like it is a pretty good rifle.
Originally Posted by 14Homer
While I was doing some more research I see where a lot of people liked DPMS rifles. I found a new DPMS LR308 that looked pretty good? It sounds like Remington may not be making DPMS or Bushmaster rifles anymore after buying them. What is your opinion of the DPMS rifles? The one I am looking at has a stainless steel barrel, supposedly a target rifles.

Its probably the DPMS Panther arms LR308 that I suggested earlier. They are good rifles. My elk hunting partner has one and it is a tack driver for an AR308. His has the heavy truck axle barrel that is 24" long though, so it ought to shoot good. I'm not a huge fan of DPMS, as I've always considered them cheap, bottom of the barrel rifles, but many guys get along fine with them. I know some guys that get along just fine with lesser rifles as well. The DPMS rifles are not as sought after as an Armalite or RRA, which were your first choices. However, with that being said, I'd take a DPMS over a funky RRA that takes a FAL mag... Funny thing, I ran across a heavy barreled DPMS ar15 the other day at a LGS and the asking price on it was $500.00... I don't think they hold their value as well as some of the other brands out there..
© 24hourcampfire