Home
Hey guys, why dont we hear much about the aero precision M4e1 and m5e1 receiver sets? I dont particularly care for the big A stamped on the receiver, but they do have some nice features. How many of you guys use them? I know they are like the fat neighbor girl or a vw bug, time to come clean. I was thinking cheap 6mm ARC build.
My bud has built several AR on aero lowers and uppers. He likes their uppers, he told me why. But I can’t remember why.. if I build a 6mm ARC I’m going stripped psa lower, with Anderson upper.. or might just go all in on Anderson. I can pick up stripped upper and lower for $100.
I have 2 lowers and like them, they have a Upper Tension Screw to help fit the upper.
I have a slick side upper again like it. A little lighter without the forward assist, and smoother, flatter.
A couple of their lightweight scope mounts, they have held up well.
also one of their atlas hand guards, smaller diameter than others and lighter.
I like Aero.
charlee
Two lowers, one slick side upper. Zero complaints, good stuff.
I've probably used or built on a dozen Aero sets between .308 and 5.56 - still have several sets in the "just because" pile.

ODG, BBronze, and one Multi-Cam set in 6.8, FDE and BB in 5.56 for fun.

They're not Colt, BCM, or Danial Defense...so, they poo-pooed some of the AR aficionados as not up to standard.

I'd trust quality Aero more over an Anderson lower out of the box - the fit and finish is better, and I haven't had any issues, but I've seen Anderson lowers with machining issues.

They have the threaded pin for the bolt release, and the threaded retainer for the rear receiver take-down retaining pin spring.

YMMV

I have two "enhanced" uppers with their handguard mount as part of the upper receiver - I prefer a smaller diameter handguard than Aero usually offers.

But, the Aero ones I have are solid enough for my needs - I just prefer not to be tied to a large diameter because of the enhanced upper, so most of my uppers are standard type.

Like BCM - buying a "blem" Aero product means I won't be able to see what the defect is - without really looking for it.
I've used several of their lowers & they are just fine.............pard FFL bought 50 so I got good pricing.

PSA lowers are fine too, used 4-5; Anderson lowers work too, but can have some color / finish variations that I don't see on others. I've also use V-7 & they are excellent.

Never used any Aero uppers as I think they are nothing special & prefer Vltor, Cross Machine, BCM, V-7.

Like AH64, I don't like Aero rails for the exact same reasons that he stated; SLR, Geiselle & BCM get my money for rails; though I do have have 2 rails currently from WOA, & they are OK ergonomically, but are about 4 oz heavier than the others I mentioned as the walls are thicker.

MM
I've got several of the American flag M4E1 lowers and like them.
I built my 6mmARs on Aero Precision uppers and lowers. Whatever the complaints may be I am sure they don't amount to a hill of beans.
I have noticed zero difference between Aero receivers and (insert tactical nam here), costing far more. I use some PSA that I think actually ARE Aero made. If I had an Anderson, I’d give it away, or trade it for a plastic one, but that’s just me.
Originally Posted by hh4whiskey
I have noticed zero difference between Aero receivers and (insert tactical nam here), costing far more. I use some PSA that I think actually ARE Aero made. If I had an Anderson, I’d give it away, or trade it for a plastic one, but that’s just me.

Aero does not make PSA lowers..
Originally Posted by RiverRider
I built my 6mmARs on Aero Precision uppers and lowers. Whatever the complaints may be I am sure they don't amount to a hill of beans.

I have done several AR's on Aero uppers and lowers and I have never been disappointed. I see no reason to fix that which is not broken.

kwg
I have several of their uppers but none of their lowers.

The uppers when being trued up on the lathe are pretty square.

They shot good before we got the facing tool bar.
Originally Posted by 79S

According to PSA, Aero DID make some PSA lowers. No idea if they still do or not, but back (5-6 years ago?) when I bought some in with order batches of 5-10 at a time, PSA stated they were Aero. I have other PSA stuff that I don’t know for sure who made it, and some that’s supposed to be FN ( and some that likely really is), so I either do or don’t....based on what PSA says. wink they’ve likely changed sources a few times over the years. I think Aero owns Ballistic Advantage, and likely has some receivers built there/out of house these days. Tracking sourcing for many AR parts can be a crap shoot.
PSA bought their own forge company and makes all their own upper and lower receivers now.
Originally Posted by 79S

According to PSA, Aero DID make some PSA lowers. No idea if they still do or not, but back (5-6 years ago?) when I bought some in with order batches of 5-10 at a time, PSA stated they were Aero. I have other PSA stuff that I don’t know for sure who made it, and some that’s supposed to be FN ( and some that likely really is), so I either do or don’t....based on what PSA says. wink they’ve likely changed sources a few times over the years. I think Aero owns Ballistic Advantage, and likely has some receivers built there/out of house these days. Tracking sourcing for many AR parts can be a crap shoot.

Like years ago.. not in the last 2-3 yrs. hell FN made lowers for psa as well..
IIRC, someone here stated that Spike's made PSA's upper and lower receivers at one time.
IIRC, someone here stated that Spike's made PSA's upper and lower receivers at one time.

I believe 79s said that and someone called bs on it..
It appears that a lot of you guys drive vw bugs and fat girls, ha ha.. I like the new Aero precision upper and lowers, as they seem to fit together very well and you get extra added features with the tension screw and cool threaded bolt release pin, that is a biotch to normally get in without some swearing and extra taping of the receiver, so you don't mar or scratch it. I just don't like the big fn A on the side of the receiver!!!!!
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
bolt release pin, that is a biotch to normally get in without some swearing and extra taping of the receiver, so you don't mar or scratch it.

Patience & perseverance, my son (& a trick or 2 & the right tools). wink

MM
A flat sided roll pin punch will cure your swearing.

I believe 79s said that and someone called bs on it..

I called bs it on it.. the fella saying it said spikes was still making them for psa.. maybe at one time they did.. PSA has two forging companies one in Florida (DC machine) the other one in a South Carolina..
Originally Posted by 79S

Kinda what I was saying.
The FN stuff is pretty good, also.

...anyway, which is maybe why I generally buy Aero marked receivers, when I want Aero receivers.

I’m not as familiar with PSA’s latest sourcing, nor am I quite as comfortable with any receivers they’d make themselves vs some others, yet.
Originally Posted by 79S

Kinda what I was saying.
The FN stuff is pretty good, also.

...anyway, which is maybe why I generally buy Aero marked receivers, when I want Aero receivers.

I’m not as familiar with PSA’s latest sourcing, nor am I quite as comfortable with any receivers they’d make themselves vs some others, yet.

PSA current lowers are fine..
Well, I’m betting they’re better than Anderson. LOL

I used one stripped Anderson lower and it works fine.. I will probably use another for another build in the near future.. I guess I’m a regular old cheap ass.. You ph uckers would cringe, cry, sob.. if you saw what these boys in the Rifle battalions are doing to new brand fn made m4.. so yeah i hear people talking about cosmetic blemishes on stripped lowers, I just shrug the ol shoulders.. meanwhile in the rifle battalions they are taking a can of FDE to brand new FN’s..
I've used five Anderson lowers and three of their uppers for different rifles and have several friends that have used them as well. None of us have had any problems with the Anderson receivers.
I could care less about cosmetics, and I like a good deal as much as anyone. I care about tolerances and how it goes together and runs. I did plenty to M4s in a line battalion. Probably ALL of them. I get that. 4 out of 5 of the last ARs I’ve worked on as ‘problem children’ had Anderson lowers. Sure, I’ve seen others that were trouble free, and it’s wasnt always purely the fault of the Anderson parts.....but I have other stuff I have more faith in.
What were the problems, and were they directly related to the lowers?
IIRC, mag catch, grip screw threads, tight pin holes, etc....nothing that couldn’t be cleaned up. Another couple were just fine. I guess for $40, they were actually okay.
I could care less about cosmetics, and I like a good deal as much as anyone. I care about tolerances and how it goes together and runs. I did plenty to M4s in a line battalion. Probably ALL of them. I get that. 4 out of 5 of the last ARs I’ve worked on as ‘problem children’ had Anderson lowers. Sure, I’ve seen others that were trouble free, and it’s wasnt always purely the fault of the Anderson parts.....but I have other stuff I have more faith in.

Anderson's selling a lot of lowers. That might have something to do with the markings you are seeing.
IIRC, mag catch, grip screw threads, tight pin holes, etc....nothing that couldn’t be cleaned up. Another couple were just fine. I guess for $40, they were actually okay.

It’s a damn miracle the stripped psa lowers I got for $29 even work then..
Originally Posted by 79S

I used one stripped Anderson lower and it works fine.. I will probably use another for another build in the near future.. I guess I’m a regular old cheap ass.. You ph uckers would cringe, cry, sob.. if you saw what these boys in the Rifle battalions are doing to new brand fn made m4.. so yeah i hear people talking about cosmetic blemishes on stripped lowers, I just shrug the ol shoulders.. meanwhile in the rifle battalions they are taking a can of FDE to brand new FN’s..

Yeah, that must be the fad now. I was at a LGS yesterday and saw a brand new upper and lower set that was painted FDE and looked worn. They called it the "worn look". Looked stupid to me. Oddly enough, it was an Aero upper and lower set, with handguard. I didnt even see what they wanted for it.
Originally Posted by 79S

It’s a damn miracle the stripped psa lowers I got for $29 even work then..

Well, I bought some Noreen lowers for under $30 that were better going together, but I don’t put them in the same vein with some other stuff, either.
Look at the BATFE stats. Anderson must be making lowers for a lot of companies.

Similar to how Pine Tree Castings (Ruger) was making a lot of the other name-brand slides and frames for 1911s a few years back, and probably still do.

I’m not sure if AERO makes their mowers? Or?
I was told by somebody I suspect would know that Aero makes about 30% of the lowers on the market.
Originally Posted by David_Walter
Look at the BATFE stats. Anderson must be making lowers for a lot of companies.

Similar to how Pine Tree Castings (Ruger) was making a lot of the other name-brand slides and frames for 1911s a few years back, and probably still do.

I’m not sure if AERO makes their mowers? Or?

I'm like 80% sure they are not making mowers. Yet.
Originally Posted by 79S

Yeah, that must be the fad now. I was at a LGS yesterday and saw a brand new upper and lower set that was painted FDE and looked worn. They called it the "worn look". Looked stupid to me. Oddly enough, it was an Aero upper and lower set, with handguard. I didnt even see what they wanted for it.

Joe been painting them M4 clear back to 2004 time frame.. only at that time they were doing it to Colt made M4’s.. 🤪
Up until about August of last year, you could buy PSA lowers all day long for $29. Now they've gone up to $59 or more, and with shipping and FFL fees, I can go buy a new Aero lower just as cheap or cheaper.
Originally Posted by Hudge
Up until about August of last year, you could buy PSA lowers all day long for $29. Now they've gone up to $59 or more, and with shipping and FFL fees, I can go buy a new Aero lower just as cheap or cheaper.

I should of bought a couple more lowers from 3 bears when they were selling them for $38 3 months ago..
We probably ALL shoulda bought more AR stuff and ammo, before it went nuts again.
We probably ALL shoulda bought more AR stuff and ammo, before it went nuts again.

You ain’t lying..
Yep.

And who hasn't said that 3 or 4 times before?

Over the last 15 years.
Originally Posted by 79S

You ain’t lying..

Even small rifle primers are a biotch to find right now.
Originally Posted by 79S

You ain’t lying..

I found 4K of small pistol primers the other day. They were magnum, and I wasn't looking for magnum, but, I took them all.
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by 79S

You ain’t lying..

I found 4K of small pistol primers the other day. They were magnum, and I wasn't looking for magnum, but, I took them all.

Ha ha. I found CCI 41's the other day so I bought 2 bricks. They were at a small shop that no body goes to. Its the same store I found 4 bottles of AR Comp powder. Those bottles had dust on the tops of them. I would have bought 3 bricks of the CCI 41's, but my buddy wanted to buy a brick. Tonight when I was in Portland, I ran across 300 CCI 400's at a Walmart, so I snagged them. I don't know what the deal is with the small rifle primers around here, but you just can't find them. I can find large rifle primers, no problem. There is a shortage of those, but not like the small rifle primers. I counted up what I have and I have 3300 CCI 400's, and 2000 CCI 41's. However, I shot 800 rounds of 223 rem just last week, so primers get put back in those cases and I need to replenish what I use... I went out today and shot my SKS with steel case ammo, so I don't have to worry about reloading those. I also shot the old m96 mauser, to find a good load for it for an upcoming military rifle shoot. Luckily that rifle ammo uses large rifle primers..
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by 79S

You ain’t lying..

Ha ha. I found CCI 41's the other day so I bought 2 bricks. They were at a small shop that no body goes to. Its the same store I found 4 bottles of AR Comp powder. Those bottles had dust on the tops of them. I would have bought 3 bricks of the CCI 41's, but my buddy wanted to buy a brick. Tonight when I was in Portland, I ran across 300 CCI 400's at a Walmart, so I snagged them. I don't know what the deal is with the small rifle primers around here, but you just can't find them. I can find large rifle primers, no problem. There is a shortage of those, but not like the small rifle primers. I counted up what I have and I have 3300 CCI 400's, and 2000 CCI 41's. However, I shot 800 rounds of 223 rem just last week, so primers get put back in those cases and I need to replenish what I use... I went out today and shot my SKS with steel case ammo, so I don't have to worry about reloading those. I also shot the old m96 mauser, to find a good load for it for an upcoming military rifle shoot. Luckily that rifle ammo uses large rifle primers..

Well, I can give my opinion on what's going on..

When .223 and 9mm when mostly out of stock, and prices when way up those who were caught short of loaded bulk ammo loaded up on reloading components. We had the best stock and lowest prices on primers locally I'd seen since Bush was president, and overnight, everything was GONE.

Our range has been very busy. Generally, if I go out midweek, I'll have the place to myself, but the last couple of times it looked like the week before hunting season, but everyone had AR's or carry guns and were practicing double taps at distances applicable for our current situation.
Yeah, chit was crazy yesterday in Portland. My buddy and i wanted to hit a few gunshops and the first one we went to had a line that wrapped around one corner of the building. I asked one shop what the wait on background checks was and they said 3000, so it may take up to 5 days!!! If it turns into the wild west, most of us here are pretty prepared.
I’m a Range Safety Officer at the local range, and for the last few months, since the range reopened, it’s been ARs, 9mm handguns, pistol caliber carbines by the droves.
David, given you location, I'm curous about the profile of these shooters.

Good old boys adding to the collection?
Good new shooters concerned for their protection?

Or, you are concerned about which side they are on?
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by Hudge

I should of bought a couple more lowers from 3 bears when they were selling them for $38 3 months ago..

I need to hit your 3 Bears, ours had them about $45 at the cheapest price and that was last August. Not a PSA lower in there at all now. Heck a Aero 5.56 BCG was $119 2 weeks ago, $153 Monday when I went in.
I heard Aero Precision has raised their prices on everything. I guess i should of bought some more as well.

kwg
They are not alone on the increased prices.........................

MM
© 24hourcampfire