Home
Posted By: Georat My New Old Ruger No. 1 - 09/08/20
I bought a VERY used Ruger No. 1 off of Gunbroker a while back and had my gunsmith refurbish it. The stock was pretty beat up with a good bit of finish missing and numerous dents and scratches but it is one of the Bicentennial rifles in .270 and the bore looked good. My gunsmith refinished the stock, cleaned up the checkering, color-cased the receiver, quarter rib, scope rings and grip cap, and added an ebony fore-end tip. I picked it up last week and worked up some loads over this past weekend. It shoots 150 gr. Ballistic Tips into 1" at 100 yards. I posted some before and after photos in the Image Gallery and am hoping that the link I inserted below works (but this is my first time trying to put photos onto this site so the odds are that I screwed something up).

www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/galleries/15205848/updated-ruger-no-1#Post15205848]Before and after photos[/url]
Posted By: LEADMINER Re: My New Old Ruger No. 1 - 09/08/20
I was able to see them in gallery...looks really nice.
Posted By: cv540 Re: My New Old Ruger No. 1 - 09/08/20
Boy that looks nice
Posted By: Georat Re: My New Old Ruger No. 1 - 09/09/20
Thank y’all, I appreciate it
Posted By: tmitch Re: My New Old Ruger No. 1 - 09/09/20
Now THAT'S how a No.1 should look! Very nice!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: pabucktail Re: My New Old Ruger No. 1 - 09/09/20
That’s classy! Go kill something with it!
pabucktail - That is the plan! Just waiting for the season to open
Posted By: Flyer01 Re: My New Old Ruger No. 1 - 09/09/20
That's drop dead gorgeous
Posted By: pete53 Re: My New Old Ruger No. 1 - 09/09/20
very nice
Posted By: War_Eagle Re: My New Old Ruger No. 1 - 09/09/20
Looks like he also inletted a swivel stud and added a Trop safety. Very nice indeed. Would you mind sharing the gunsmith who did the work? I may have to reach out to him for some work!
War_eagle - I’ll PM you his info
Posted By: Bella1 Re: My New Old Ruger No. 1 - 09/09/20
Very nice , I’m a sucker for color case and good wood. Congrats
Posted By: SS336 Re: My New Old Ruger No. 1 - 09/09/20
That came out great! Be proud to own that one. 👍👍
Posted By: Georat Re: My New Old Ruger No. 1 - 09/10/20
Thank you very much, I am very happy with it!
Posted By: Anschutz Re: My New Old Ruger No. 1 - 09/10/20
That's a great looking stick you have there. If I'm really good, maybe Santa will stick one under the tree.
Posted By: Pugs Re: My New Old Ruger No. 1 - 09/11/20
Originally Posted by Georat
I bought a VERY used Ruger No. 1 off of Gunbroker a while back and had my gunsmith refurbish it. The stock was pretty beat up with a good bit of finish missing and numerous dents and scratches but it is one of the Bicentennial rifles in .270 and the bore looked good. My gunsmith refinished the stock, cleaned up the checkering, color-cased the receiver, quarter rib, scope rings and grip cap, and added an ebony fore-end tip. I picked it up last week and worked up some loads over this past weekend. It shoots 150 gr. Ballistic Tips into 1" at 100 yards. I posted some before and after photos in the Image Gallery and am hoping that the link I inserted below works (but this is my first time trying to put photos onto this site so the odds are that I screwed something up).

www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/galleries/15205848/updated-ruger-no-1#Post15205848]Before and after photos[/url]

Hyperlinked to your images - Really like the addition of the forend cap.

Georat's #1
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: My New Old Ruger No. 1 - 09/11/20
Wow.

My late brother had a 1976 1B .270 and it was stunner, and also very accurate. He sold it at some point before he passed as he had largely stopped hunting even before he got sick. He had refinished the stock in oil as he often did with his guns,
Posted By: Georat Re: My New Old Ruger No. 1 - 09/11/20
Pugs - thank you for linking the pictures! I am NOT tech savvy in any way and appreciate the help
Posted By: GSPfan Re: My New Old Ruger No. 1 - 09/11/20
They do make a nice platform for a custom project. This was the first one and another is in the works and should be finished in a couple more weeks. This is a 7MM-08 the next is 300 H&H [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]get url for photo
Posted By: Georat Re: My New Old Ruger No. 1 - 09/12/20
VERY NICE!!
A very interesting line in the cheek piece. A 300H&H in the same style would be a very classic but unique rifle!!

Outstanding wood. Kudos to the owner and the smith!!
Posted By: GSPfan Re: My New Old Ruger No. 1 - 09/12/20
I wanted something a little different with this one. You can't really tell from the pics but it has a 24 inch tapered octagon barrel, the grip cap is skeltonized, metal but plate Tally QD rings all case hardened.
Posted By: Tejano Re: My New Old Ruger No. 1 - 09/21/20
Who did the color case hardenig? I think that is the classy way to go on a single shot.
Posted By: Cascade Re: My New Old Ruger No. 1 - 09/21/20
Georat - beautiful rifle. Congrats!
Posted By: Georat Re: My New Old Ruger No. 1 - 09/24/20
Tejano - I’m not sure who did the case hardening, my smith subbed it out to someone in. Colorado. But I agree, it does look good on a single shot.
© 24hourcampfire