Home
Posted By: sbhooper Henry Single-shot success - 01/13/21
I just finished up my late deer season with two, fat mulie does. I always shoot a couple with my Henry single-shot 30-30. I have an SWFA 6x scope on it. What a blast to shoot. I have shot around a half dozen deer with this rifle and have not caught a bullet yet. The farthest has been 168 yards. Amazing what this seemingly anemic cartridge can actually do. I tried all kinds of pointy bullets in it and have gone back to a stiff load of 3031, over a 150-grain round-nose blem from Midway.
Posted By: goalie Re: Henry Single-shot success - 01/13/21
I like hearing that. I'm putting together a Contender carbine in 30-30.
Originally Posted by sbhooper
I just finished up my late deer season with two, fat mulie does. I always shoot a couple with my Henry single-shot 30-30. I have an SWFA 6x scope on it. What a blast to shoot. I have shot around a half dozen deer with this rifle and have not caught a bullet yet. The farthest has been 168 yards. Amazing what this seemingly anemic cartridge can actually do. I tried all kinds of pointy bullets in it and have gone back to a stiff load of 3031, over a 150-grain round-nose blem from Midway.

Congrats......I knew it landed in a good place.
Excellent!

That should be a fun little rifle to have and great for training newbies with as well.
Posted By: Sixpack Re: Henry Single-shot success - 01/14/21
I want one in 30-30 pretty bad! Love hearing this!
Posted By: sbhooper Re: Henry Single-shot success - 01/14/21
Originally Posted by diamondjim

Congrats......I knew it landed in a good place.

Thanks, Jim. It is a fun little rifle. I put a lot of rounds through it, trying to figure out the latest and greatest. I finally decided that it needed to be a 30-30, not a .308. I went back to basics and that is where it will stay. I put the super chicken on it and it is perfect. I have a 200-yard steel plate that is a chip shot after giving the scope four clicks.
Congrats, the 30-30 has been getting it done for a very long time.
Posted By: Alaninga Re: Henry Single-shot success - 02/28/21
I enjoyed taking several deer with my Handi Rifle in 30/30 Ackley Improved.
Now I have a Henry Single Shot in 357 Magnum and starting the fun all over again.
Can you guess how difficult it is to resist making metal chips when I have a couple hundred 357 MAXIMUM cases in my possession?!
Posted By: LouisB Re: Henry Single-shot success - 02/28/21
Shoot it with Mag chamber they make those chips for the best 35 caliber straight wall cartridge.
There’s a lot of people that think deer are hard to kill. The .30-30 with well placed shots continues to fill freezers.
Originally Posted by Tom_in_VT
There’s a lot of people that think deer are hard to kill. The .30-30 with well placed shots continues to fill freezers.

That's why I have 4 in my safes right now.......they just plain work.
Posted By: Alaninga Re: Henry Single-shot success - 04/03/21
I have a Ruger No.1A in 30/30. Purchase was based on several deer taken with several 30/30s I’ve used, Handi Rifles and Marlin lever guns. I had two mint Rem 788’s in 30/30 but collectors adopted them before I got to shoot them even once! My deer kill with 30/30’s has been 100% success rate. I hope to get this stainless walnut No.1 out from it’s “unfired” status soon!
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: Henry Single-shot success - 04/04/21
......... Henry single-shot 30-30. I have an SWFA 6x scope on it. ......

Help me out. Spent time shooting one today. What mounts are you using and do you have a stock pack or something to get any kind of cheek on the stock?

Rifle was very accurate with TAC and Barnes Tipped TAC-TX 120.
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: Henry Single-shot success - 04/10/21
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
......... Henry single-shot 30-30. I have an SWFA 6x scope on it. ......

Help me out. Spent time shooting one today. What mounts are you using and do you have a stock pack or something to get any kind of cheek on the stock?

Rifle was very accurate with TAC and Barnes Tipped TAC-TX 120.

The cure:

https://www.beartooth-products.com/...-raising-kit-2-0-no-loops-model-in-brown

The looped version might not be bad for the single shot but my oldest is left eye dominant so I figured I'd leave it open for his use as well.
© 24hourcampfire