Home
Posted By: Sixpack CVA Scout 44 Magnum - 01/15/21
Looking for thoughts on this rifle. I would love to see one in person but, as the normal with most firearms and ammo today, no one around me has one. I am very interested in one so any opinions or thoughts would be great. Think it would be an awesome truck/tree stand/fun gun!

https://cva.com/product/scout-44-magnum-stainless-steel-with-black-stocks/

Honestly, it’s between this and a Henry SS 30-30. The 44 will work for our “primitive weapons” deer season and the 30-30 won’t. I have a bit of 30-30 ammo but zero 44 mag ammo. Strange times!

Thanks
Posted By: goalie Re: CVA Scout 44 Magnum - 01/15/21
I have the Hunter in 44mag. It's not as nice as the Scout model.

Mine shoots into a few inches at 100 yards with 240g bullets. The trigger doesn't suck on mine, and is actually pretty nice.

I'm currently getting mine cut to 16.5" and re-crowned to make it better in the thick stuff.

44mag works on deer. Doesn't seem to matter if it's XTPs or JSP bullets, they die and leave enough blood trail on pass through behind the shoulder lung shots that Stevie Wonder can track them.
Posted By: Sixpack Re: CVA Scout 44 Magnum - 01/15/21
A 16.5” 44 would make an awesome woods/treestand rifle! Appreciate the reply! Would love to see a pic when you get it all fixed up.
Posted By: 19352012 Re: CVA Scout 44 Magnum - 01/15/21
One of my buddies has one. It would be the cheapest version you can get because that's how he rolls. He and his 11 yr old love it. He says its expensive to feed but accurate enough with anything.
Posted By: z1r Re: CVA Scout 44 Magnum - 01/15/21
Originally Posted by Sixpack
Looking for thoughts on this rifle. I would love to see one in person but, as the normal with most firearms and ammo today, no one around me has one. I am very interested in one so any opinions or thoughts would be great. Think it would be an awesome truck/tree stand/fun gun!

https://cva.com/product/scout-44-magnum-stainless-steel-with-black-stocks/

Honestly, it’s between this and a Henry SS 30-30. The 44 will work for our “primitive weapons” deer season and the 30-30 won’t. I have a bit of 30-30 ammo but zero 44 mag ammo. Strange times!

Thanks

If it works for your "primitive weapons" season, it'll work for non-primitive season as well. The .44 is super easy to load for if you reload. Now I want one!
Originally Posted by z1r

If it works for your "primitive weapons" season, it'll work for non-primitive season as well. The .44 is super easy to load for if you reload. Now I want one!

Lol and agree. I actually meant it like “it would also work for “primitive weapons” seasons. It will get used a lot more than that one season for sure. It just seems so handy!
Posted By: z1r Re: CVA Scout 44 Magnum - 01/15/21
Yeah, I wish you hadn't started this post! Spent a good part of the day looking for someone that had one in stock. I really like the 20" twist!
Posted By: brydan Re: CVA Scout 44 Magnum - 01/15/21
I've been hunting with a CVA hunter in 35 Rem the last few years. Cut the barrel to 18" and had the trigger lightened. The place I've been hunting is a muddy swampy mess and shots are usually stupid short so all I needed was a beater that qualified for primitive weapons. It's fit the bill perfectly. Handloaded with 200gr Sierras it's surprisingly accurate. Not sure I'd cut the barrel any shorter. It's not too light in the muzzle as is but borderline. 19" would feel a smidge better if doing it again.
Yea I’ve got my guy looking for or one too! Hoping he comes up with one!
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: CVA Scout 44 Magnum - 01/16/21
I have one. Blued 44 magnum. I can't get the thing to do any better than 5 inches at 100. I have tried several types of ammo with sevral bullet weights from 200 grains up and several scopes. I have a dud.
Posted By: goalie Re: CVA Scout 44 Magnum - 01/16/21
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
I have one. Blued 44 magnum. I can't get the thing to do any better than 5 inches at 100. I have tried several types of ammo with sevral bullet weights from 200 grains up and several scopes. I have a dud.

I wonder if the Scout is significantly different than the Hunter?
Posted By: JJF Re: CVA Scout 44 Magnum - 01/16/21
I can relate to this. I had both a blued CVA Scout and a Ruger semiauto that shot slightly better than 5". In desperation I went to Wally World and bought a box of Winchester 240 gr JSP (white box). Bingo. The groups for both rifles were cut more than half (about 2" at 100 yds), which is accurate enough for the area in which I hunt.
Originally Posted by JJF
I can relate to this. I had both a blued CVA Scout and a Ruger semiauto that shot slightly better than 5". In desperation I went to Wally World and bought a box of Winchester 240 gr JSP (white box). Bingo. The groups for both rifles were cut more than half (about 2" at 100 yds), which is accurate enough for the area in which I hunt.

I haven't tried any factory loads. I have tried some handloads down closer to 44 special velocity and then all the way up to the standard near max charge of H110. I am going to bail out on it and try a Henry. I guess I'll keep it since I can't "send it down the road" in good conscience.
Originally Posted by goalie

I wonder if the Scout is significantly different than the Hunter?

I have no idea.
Posted By: Sixpack Re: CVA Scout 44 Magnum - 01/16/21

Dang! Hate to hear that Paul!

For those who have handled both the CVA and the Henry, is one noticeably better than the other? The Henry is on the heavy side (my 357 weighs over 7 # naked) and the Scout in 44 mag weighs 5.8#s from what I read (CVAs page says 7.3# but other sources say 5.8). That alone makes me want to find one to check out.
Posted By: Sixpack Re: CVA Scout 44 Magnum - 01/16/21
Originally Posted by JJF

Glad you got to that sorted out!
Posted By: badwolf Re: CVA Scout 44 Magnum - 01/19/21
What do these weigh?
Posted By: brydan Re: CVA Scout 44 Magnum - 01/19/21
Originally Posted by badwolf
What do these weigh?

I'll try to remember to weigh mine later but 5.8# sounds right. I used to use a Contender carbine that was 4lbs 15oz all up. I'd guess my CVA is a little over 6 with a Leupold slug hunter scope on it and the barrel shortened.
Posted By: blackpowder72 Re: CVA Scout 44 Magnum - 01/30/21
I have 2 Scouts. One 45/70 and another 45/70 that I had converted to a smokeless muzzleloader. They have become two of my favorite guns ,love them. Great trigger, just a great gun for the money .
Posted By: 4570fan Re: CVA Scout 44 Magnum - 02/01/21
Originally Posted by z1r
Yeah, I wish you hadn't started this post! Spent a good part of the day looking for someone that had one in stock. I really like the 20" twist!

The Henry single shot is also 1:20 twist. I picked one up a couple months ago.
Posted By: Sherwood Re: CVA Scout 44 Magnum - 02/02/21
I bought one about a year ago. With Hornady Lever-evolution ammo, it shoots into a 2 inch group at 100 yards. Trigger is quire good!

Sherwood
© 24hourcampfire