Home
Posted By: kbush Contender G1/G2 - 02/27/21
Can someone post the difference between G1 and G2 contender stocks ? Bought a set listed as G1 off Fleabay and it doesn't fit my frame (G1). It's too narrow and the bolt hole is at the forward edge not centered.
Posted By: John_Boy Re: Contender G1/G2 - 03/19/21
G2 dimensions are different. Barrels would swap, but stocks won't.
Posted By: LeonHitchcox Re: Contender G1/G2 - 03/19/21
As John Boy stated the G! and G2 use different butt stocks. The fore ends will be dependent on the barrel taper. I like the G2 stock much better, but I don't know of any company making a G1 stock with a G2 feel. G1 stocks are very short and have a lot of drop, so that on a scoped G1 your head will not have a good cheek weld. I put a stick on cheek riser on my carbine.
Posted By: Tom_in_VT Re: Contender G1/G2 - 03/19/21
Originally Posted by John_Boy
G2 dimensions are different. Barrels would swap, but stocks won't.

Yup. Good news is you’ll be able to sell the incorrect one and track down the right one. Contender stuff is going quickly.
Posted By: scratcherky Re: Contender G1/G2 - 03/23/21
There is no such thing as a G1 Contender. Never has been and never will be!
Posted By: hookeye Re: Contender G1/G2 - 03/23/21
No, but since a G2 does exist folks just use the term to describe the old ones.

IMHO its acceptable
Posted By: hookeye Re: Contender G1/G2 - 03/23/21
And if you have a taper bbl in handgun you just use a hanger bar system. i like Pachmayr forends ( without medallions ).

The old Contender rifle stocks in plastic are set up for iron usage IMHO. Make a cheekriser out of Kydex and attach w velcro and its a pretty sweet setup. And it makes no permanent mod to the stock

Cheap and effective.....and doesnt look bad.
Posted By: John_Boy Re: Contender G1/G2 - 03/24/21
There are some good custom stock makers. You might be able to get the dimensions you prefer.
Posted By: hookeye Re: Contender G1/G2 - 03/24/21
I prefer the thin yet strong plastic.
Proly get by w thin nice wood on a non kicker
Bullberry had some stunning stuff.

Alas, my idea of a 22 mag Contender rifle....is gone.
Have a 14" .22 mag Contender pistol wink
Posted By: 257heaven Re: Contender G1/G2 - 03/24/21
Originally Posted by scratcherky
There is no such thing as a G1 Contender. Never has been and never will be!

It's kinda like saying New Vaquero and old Vaquero. No such thing as an "old Vaquero"....but everybody knows what they are referring to. Except you.
© 24hourcampfire