Home
I bought a Savage 220 L-D barrel in 16 gauge (ebay) to mate with a Savage 219. The breech end of the barrel is out of square and would need to be trued in order for the barrel to fit. Are the 220 barrels commonly out of square? The I have a older Utica 12 gauge 220 barrel that is perfectly true, so was surprised how bad this barrel is.
Posted By: Mesa Re: Savage 220 L-D barrel fitting - 03/06/21
Two things: the "L" action is significantly different from all earlier 219/220s, and they came at the end of that model when Savage, IMO, just plain gave up on product quality. I've never owned an "L" because of that, but handled a few back in the day.

You might try asking your question on the "Gunsmithing" forum, or ask on www.savagesingleshots.com. But in my experience, folks who like the Savage single shots tend to avoid the "L" series altogether. A whole different animal from the Utica-made guns. And the "L" cocking system is quite different from the earlier, non-letter-prefix guns.
Thanks for the reply. I agree with your assessment of product quality. I have a Utica made gun that is quite well made. The gun I bought the 220L-D barrel for is a 219B (Chicopee made), so the cocking mechanism is compatible. In my opinion, the 219B is fairly well made, but not quite the quality of the Utica made gun. The 220-L-D barrel is stamped Westfield, Mass.
The part I hate about the L is not the barrel.... it is the sheet metal.
Posted By: Mesa Re: Savage 220 L-D barrel fitting - 03/10/21
Good to know that the "L" barrels will work with the "B" receivers. I'll look for one in .22 Hornet for mine.
© 24hourcampfire