Home
Posted By: Tim M surface rust on an 1885 Hi-Wall - 09/14/21
I have an 1885 Hi-wall that has some light rusting on the outside of the barrel. I have a bottle of oxpho blue but have never used it before, anyone have any experience and could may be share a few pointers.
Tim
If it were me, I would forget about the cold blue. I would lightly rub the barrel with 0000 (4-0) steel wool soaking with oil.
Phil
Wonder if oil and a pencil eraser would work?

Possibly oil the piss out of it and let it sit for a few days? May wipe off.
Some good advice here, Tim.
Here’s an article on rust removal:

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/blog/how-to-remove-rust-from-a-gun
Real cork wine cork will take light rust off.
Frontier 45 pad and broil used liberally. Wipe it down first with the Kroil and let it sit , then go over it with a Frontier 45 pad that has Kroil on it.
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Frontier 45 pad and broil used liberally. Wipe it down first with the Kroil and let it sit , then go over it with a Frontier 45 pad that has Kroil on it.

I had forgotten about that stuff. It works very well too.
+ 1K on the Frontier Big 45 pad, once you try it you'll never use anything else. A friend gave me a S & W M/10 that looked frightful, 30 years sitting in his attic it was covered with rust and I felt sure it would need a reblue. The Frontier Big 45 worked its magic and the customer didn't believe it was the same gun.
Originally Posted by gunswizard
+ 1K on the Frontier Big 45 pad, once you try it you'll never use anything else. A friend gave me a S & W M/10 that looked frightful, 30 years sitting in his attic it was covered with rust and I felt sure it would need a reblue. The Frontier Big 45 worked its magic and the customer didn't believe it was the same gun.

Yep. My experience with it as well on an old 94 Winchester found in an attic.
All Good advice, above!

Definitely stay away from the Cold Blue!

I'd love top see pics!

I've used several methods, as above!

Kroil, Cleanzoil, 0000 soaked Steel wool!

Don't be in a Hurry!!!

It Works!
Originally Posted by HunterShooter58
All Good advice, above!

Definitely stay away from the Cold Blue!

I'd love top see pics!

I've used several methods, as above!

Kroil, Cleanzoil, 0000 soaked Steel wool!

Don't be in a Hurry!!!

It Works!

Above all, this.
thanks for all the advice, I've never heard of frontier 45. I'll have to see if i can find some.

Its going to be a bit before i get to it (working out in the gulf of mexico right now). when i get in i'll get before and after pics.

Thanks
I had a friend who professionally restored antique arms and swords etc. and he used a lot of stainless steel scotch-brite (in the kitchen section) with any light petroleum distillate, for instance kerosene, for the tougher jobs. It looks too aggressive, the steel in the pad appears to be lathe swarf or drill press shavings, but it really works fast without damage...used sensibly. He specialized in removing rust, but leaving patina. Very effective on old muzzle loader bores. You may have seen some of his work, pieces that went from the Harold Pappy Smith collection to Cody and elsewhere.
Lotsa sources for Frontier Big 45 on the internet, many sellers on eBay, they're not hard to find. Anyone who tells you that pot scrubbers are the same thing DOES NOT know what they're talking about.
https://www.big45metalcleaner.com
There ya go everything you ever wanted to know about Big .45 metal cleaner. In one word it's magic !
ordered 3 of the frontier 45 pads. should be home from offshore monday so tuesday i'll get started and see how it goes.

Thanks for all the help.
Love to see before and after pics!
I would definitely try the kroill/steel wool before I went right to cold blue.
I know Collectors, that don't use Steel Wool, only Bronze wool, with oil!

This is where pictures would help tremendously, evaluation Condition!

There are several levels of Answers based on your Question!

Good Luck!
0000 steel wool and kerosene
0000 and gun oil.
© 24hourcampfire