Home
Posted By: LouisB CVA Hunter vs Scout - 06/14/22
To avoid thread drift on the other thread I thought I start a specific thread.
What is the difference in these two rifles they look to be the same.

I have handled the Hunter in 7-08 and it seemed quite handy. Trigger was FAR better than I expected.
Would love to have one in 45-70, it should be a chuckle plinking with light loads.
I think recoil in that little gun could take the fun out of shooting it much just playing.
Posted By: hookeye Re: CVA Hunter vs Scout - 06/14/22
IIRC the Scout uses the trigger guard to open the action, like a Contender or Encore.

The hunter has a lever at front of trigger guard.

My bud has a Hunter a few yrs old, in .35 rem. Shoots decent.
Posted By: jobyjob Re: CVA Hunter vs Scout - 06/14/22
I've had several All were very accurate and had great triggers. The 350 Legend is a super handy 150+ yard rifle.
Posted By: HeavyBarrel Re: CVA Hunter vs Scout - 06/14/22
Got a Scout in 350 Legend, its short and handy can't wait to shoot a deer with it. It seems pretty accurate but have only shot it at 50 yards with the 4X scope I put on it. All 3 in dang near the same hole.

HeavyBarrel
Posted By: JPro Re: CVA Hunter vs Scout - 06/14/22
I have a Scout 7mm-08 Compact. $319, 3lb trigger, and boringly accurate. I like them.
Posted By: LouisB Re: CVA Hunter vs Scout - 06/15/22
JPro
Factory or handloads?
Posted By: JPro Re: CVA Hunter vs Scout - 06/19/22
Handloads. I didn’t work them up for the rifle, just recipes that I shot in bolt actions (120ttsx and 145 Speer btsp).
Posted By: LouisB Re: CVA Hunter vs Scout - 06/19/22
THX
Don''t have either of those, I will just have to dig around and see if I have anything suitable to feed one.
Posted By: JPro Re: CVA Hunter vs Scout - 06/20/22
Seems like I've had really good luck right out of the gate when I shoot a decent 140/145 cup and core bullet over a book max-ish load of H4350. Three different carbines liked those loads with nearly no "fiddling". I've had others like the lighter 110 and 120 gr loads well enough in the end, but also had some load combos that shot rather poorly.
Posted By: LeonHitchcox Re: CVA Hunter vs Scout - 06/20/22
My cousin bought his daughter a compact 7/08 Hunter from Academy for just over $200. He had me scope it and sight it in with my preferred load (120 BT with 50 grains of Big Game). I was amazed at the accuracy of that little rig. His daughter gave up hunting and he now uses it as his primary deer rifle.
Posted By: JPro Re: CVA Hunter vs Scout - 06/24/22
I ran into a guy last year that had the same little Hunter in 7mm-08. He loved it, and it was also his main deer rifle.
Posted By: LouisB Re: CVA Hunter vs Scout - 06/24/22
Seems like I found a fairly decent load with 120 NBTs and never carried the gun hunting.
Posted By: kenster99 Re: CVA Hunter vs Scout - 07/13/22
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
CVA Hunter in 7mm-08, tryed a few loads and got about 7/8-1" 3 shot group at 100 yds. Still working on some other loads to try.
Trigger not bad at all .
Posted By: MadMooner Re: CVA Hunter vs Scout - 07/19/22
I don’t know how different the triggers in the center fire scout and ML optima are, but the optima has a great trigger. I was more than impressed.

A 7-08 or Creedbro Scout compact looks like a handy little rifle.
Posted By: Ready Re: CVA Hunter vs Scout - 07/19/22
In Europe, the CVA Hunter is marketed as the Bergara TD 13 (TD for Take Down). It has been and is an ongoing success. Simple, accurate, reliable, take down, cheap.

But heavy for a single shot. I wonder, what it would take for them to slim that action down a bit. Just musing.
Posted By: ldholton Re: CVA Hunter vs Scout - 07/20/22
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
No this is probably a little different than you guys are talking about not real familiar with this type of guns. But I did scope up and sight in one of these for a friend of mine yesterday with factory 123 SST. I will say this I was very impressed and I am quite hard to impress. The trigger was really good for this type of weapon and the accuracy level using sandbags was on par with really good rifles at least to 100 m that's as far as we shot it he just wanted to get a 100 m zero., Hell the trigger was really good for any hunting weapon
Posted By: Rlhunter0403 Re: CVA Hunter vs Scout - 07/25/22
Anybody have any experience with the 300 BO version? The one at my LGS has a 16.5" barrel and is a TINY little gun. Blackout makes for a decent close range deer gun so I am fighting the urge to buy it. I hunt the mountains of WV where shots are often inside 100 yds so this compact little gun would work nicely at least in theory.
Posted By: HeavyBarrel Re: CVA Hunter vs Scout - 07/26/22
I have one of the little 350 legend CVA Scouts. Very short and handy and shoots pretty good also. I think it is advertised with a 20" barrel but it is really compact.

HeavyBarrel
Posted By: jbrodie7 Re: CVA Hunter vs Scout - 07/27/22
Man ive been looking for a cva scout in 45-70 for few days now... 3 months ago they were all over and now nothing. Illinois finally is going to allow straight wall single shot in 2023 so trying to find one now otherwise ill have to choose 444 marlin or 450 bushmaster.
Posted By: vabowhntr Re: CVA Hunter vs Scout - 08/03/22
Originally Posted by Rlhunter0403
Anybody have any experience with the 300 BO version? The one at my LGS has a 16.5" barrel and is a TINY little gun. Blackout makes for a decent close range deer gun so I am fighting the urge to buy it. I hunt the mountains of WV where shots are often inside 100 yds so this compact little gun would work nicely at least in theory.

I think it will be fantastic. I have a Ruger American Ranch in 300 BO. It has become my primary deer rifle in Va. I have taken deer to 163 yards with the Barnes 110 gr. The one at 163 was a good sized doe shot through the shoulders and went straight down. Others have made a 20-50 yard run with double lung shots at closer range. I have thought about getting a single shot but this one is so compact, and shoots so well, that I haven’t bothered.
Posted By: Ready Re: CVA Hunter vs Scout - 08/03/22
The Tac TX 110gr. works very well on hogs out of the BO from the 16.5" barrel. I vote Buy.
Posted By: JENKINS9 Re: CVA Hunter vs Scout - 08/10/22
Got a scout compact in 6.5 creedmoor for my daughter. It is really nice the main reason I got it is she shoots lefthand and it is made for either left or right hand shooting with a cheek piece on both sides of the stock.it shoots pretty good with hornady super performance 129 gr. Sst
Posted By: zcm82 Re: CVA Hunter vs Scout - 08/24/22
I just ordered one of the Scouts in 300 BO a couple days ago, should be picking it up somewhere between Friday and next Monday. Got it as a replacement for a RAR 300BO that I sold last year. Hoping I can end up getting the Scout to shoot the 110gr Barnes as well or better than the Ruger did, because I still have a pretty good stash of them.

I had one of the compact Hunters in 243 Win for a bit a few years back, too. It shot decent, but it was a very noisy little thing, and other rifles had caught my attention, so I traded it off. I kind of wish the Scout had the same style release as the Hunter did, but it's no biggie, either.
Posted By: JPro Re: CVA Hunter vs Scout - 08/24/22
I bet a 20" single-shot .243 would be loud. I shipped off my 7mm-08 barrel this week for a chop to 17" and some muzzle threads.
Posted By: Ready Re: CVA Hunter vs Scout - 10/26/22
I have a Bergara BA13 TD with the black Thumbhole Stock in .243 with the 20" barrel - have not even considered shooting it w/o the can. With suppressor it is very nice.
Posted By: zcm82 Re: CVA Hunter vs Scout - 10/26/22
After picking up the Scout, I will say the trigger on it is much, much better than my Hunter's was, but I still prefer the Hunter's release mechanism. Either model is a good choice for a budget single shot.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: CVA Hunter vs Scout - 11/05/22
I have a Hunter in .243 that I bought just because I had other rifles in that caliber and it was cheap. Turned out to be damn accurate, handy and goes to the woods a lot. Really shines at still hunting hogs in the swamp.
I have another CVA rifle in .223 that is probably as accurate as most quality bolt rifles.
© 24hourcampfire