Home
Posted By: sawbones66 Ruger Red Recoil Pad - 03/12/07
I tried to search this item on the web and the 24HCF - and did not get a hit... It appears that Ruger No 1 rifles with red recoil pads are of an older vintage. Am I correct? If so, what is the date and is this true for other Ruger rifles?
Posted By: SharpsShooter Re: Ruger Red Recoil Pad - 03/12/07
Bones, it is true that the red pads were used on earlier #1's. Actually calling that red thing a recoil pad is sort of a misnomer. Hard as a rock. Anyway I don't know the date that Ruger went to the black pad but the important thing is not the pad for #1 buyers. In essence, the red pad vintage #1's used barrels that were bought from various subcontractors, like Shaw, Wilson, etc. Some of them are pretty good, some are pretty bad. With the black pads came Ruger barrels that are being made in-house, as the rumor goes, and are regarded as being of a better more consistent quality.

SS
Posted By: Whelenman Re: Ruger Red Recoil Pad - 03/12/07
I believe that all transpired when they went to the model 77 mk 2.
Posted By: Single Shot Re: Ruger Red Recoil Pad - 03/12/07
Hi Sawbones66,
Ruger went from Red Pads to Black Pads in 1993, they started making there own barrels in 1991. This Info is for the # 1, don't know about the other models. For more Info like this on the # 1 try www.groups.yahoo.com/group/RUGER-1
Single Shot
Posted By: DPhillips Re: Ruger Red Recoil Pad - 03/12/07
Keep an eye out for those purple colored action No.1's. Some of those have lapped Douglas barrels and are scary accurate. Tose typically have very fine wood as well. Made the first couple of years.

The Wilson barreled No.1's, some can shoot. Don't be afraid of them. I have a 338 that you can see the chatter marks with the naked eye, but the SOB will shoot. At least until it fouls too bad. Usually around 20-25 shots. It's the devil to clean the copper out of, but shoots bug hole groups to about 15 shots, then MOA to 20 shots, then opens up a bit. Takes about a year to clean though...
© 24hourcampfire