Home
Posted By: ihookem H&R .243 Win. compact. - 03/04/23
I have one , does not seem to shoot well though and never shoot it anymore . Is there still a demand for them???
Posted By: Dinny Re: H&R .243 Win. compact. - 03/04/23
243 Win seems to be one of the most fussy calibers in the H&R/NEF line up. I don't know if they got the twist rate wrong, the chambers were cut crooked, or what. Every once in a great while I would read of one that was amazingly accurate but it is rare.

There is demand for them as evidenced by their skyrocketing prices. I would list the barrel on Fleabay or Gunbroker.

Does it have a light contour 20" barrel? If so, H&R called them Superlight barrels and may have offered them on the compact/youth guns.

I'm always interested in having more of those barrels and receivers around for extra parts. In fact, I have designed and am currently building a stub barrel system where the barrels can be swapped at home with just a 3/4" wrench, a small hammer and a punch to knock out the extractor/ejector pins.
The lightweight .243 barrels were the least accurate of all H&R barrels. Even the regular .243 barrels were spotty. A friend of mine bought two of the standard .243s for his daughters to begin deer hunting with. He couldn't get one to shoot anything less than a baseball sized group. The other would shoot a tennis ball sized group.
Posted By: goalie Re: H&R .243 Win. compact. - 03/04/23
A buddy had one. We put rubber washers on the forearm screws and used a torque wrench and it got down to 1.5-2" groups at 100 yards.

Before that it was 5" groups
Posted By: ihookem Re: H&R .243 Win. compact. - 03/04/23
Dinney I remember you from Greaybeard outdoors, and figured it was you . Leon Hitchcox seems familiar too. It is such a nice little gun. No matter what I do, it wont shoot. I have seen key holes on my targets so it tells me to go lighter bullets. I tried 75 gr. and still very little luck. . I might sell it locally but I am not sure I will get much for it and a new barrel seems hard to find but like to stick with the .243 WIn.
Posted By: GWPGUY Re: H&R .243 Win. compact. - 03/04/23
Mornin, just got rid of one, heavy bbl 204! Best groups were about 1-1/2 to 2"! Was going to stub it into 17 fireball but went another route. Some are amazing some not so much. GWP. 🐾👣🐾👣🇨🇦
Posted By: Tom_in_VT Re: H&R .243 Win. compact. - 03/05/23
In my experience, they are a 2-3 inch gun. I think I’ve shot under 2” a few times, but probably not the norm. I was also disappointed.
Posted By: aether_tech Re: H&R .243 Win. compact. - 03/10/23
I have a H&R 243, best results I've had are with lower weight bullets. Still not good. Fist sized groups at 50y shouldn't be a thing for 243. Higher weight bullets open it up to small bowl sizes.
Trying to find someone to buy it...
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: H&R .243 Win. compact. - 03/10/23
Look for a replacement barrel and turn that one into a tomato stake…..
© 24hourcampfire