Home
Posted By: JDK CVA Scout - 05/09/23
For absolutely no reason other than to play, I'm looking at a CVA Scout in 35 Whelen. Anyone have one and if so thoughts. I need this like I need a hole in the head but I thought it would be a fun rifle to play with. Truthfully was looking at (for) a Henry but the ones I saw were way overpriced and pretty beat up.
Posted By: zcm82 Re: CVA Scout - 05/09/23
I've got a Scout, but in Blackout, not Whelen. The trigger is amazingly good for a cheap single shot, and after a considerable amount of load fiddling, it's probably the best shooting break barrel I've owned.

It is a bit load picky for accuracy. It'll shoot 1.5-2MOA all the live long day with most loads you stuff in it, but it took a lot of screwing around to get it better than that. I bought it as a foul weather deer beater and had fully intended to call 1.5MOA good, but I can't help myself sometimes 🤣

100yd group with a cheapo Simmons 4x32mm scope on top.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: JPro Re: CVA Scout - 05/09/23
For what is and what it costs, I like the Scout. The ones I've seen have all been reasonably accurate, had decent 3lb-ish triggers, and were fairly cheap. My Whelen is the older Apex model in stainless, which was discontinued and replaced with the Scout Takedown. It's a great killer and shoots well enough. 2lb trigger on that one.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

This is a Scout in 7mm-08 I bought about 2 years back and had threaded at 16.5" for a suppressor. Makes a handy box blind gun. That target is at 400yds with a handload that I also use in bolt guns (145 Speer BT and H4350).

Posted By: JDK Re: CVA Scout - 05/09/23
Thanks zcm82 and JPro.
Posted By: zcm82 Re: CVA Scout - 05/09/23
Hope you enjoy it. I've owned a few CVA breaks over the past 5-ish years and they're a pretty good little rifle for the price point. I had a couple of the Hunters, and while I prefer that action release, the Scout's trigger is better.

I do really wish they'd put sights on them; that's my only real gripe. I'm going to end up putting a set on my Scout sooner or later.
Posted By: goalie Re: CVA Scout - 05/10/23
44mag rifle and pistol and 45/70 rifle here.

All have great triggers and kill stuff.
Posted By: LV_Hunter Re: CVA Scout - 05/13/23
Heavy gun. It didn't stop me but I wish I could find some LRP so I could shoot more.
Posted By: Papag Re: CVA Scout - 05/13/23
Have yet to sight in my 44 but the trigger is great. Best of an of my singles.
Posted By: 01Foreman400 Re: CVA Scout - 05/13/23
I just recently bought a .444 Marlin and 6.5 CM compact. I have yet to shoot them but will be soon. Both triggers are 2.5 pounds.
Posted By: TrapEd Re: CVA Scout - 06/11/23
My son bought one and it's a shooter. I wish silver scopes were still available eventually we'll find what we're looking for until then flat black will do. CVA is really got a good thing going with those scout models. Not many guns available in 35 Whelen.
Posted By: 01Foreman400 Re: CVA Scout - 06/12/23
I shot these 2 groups working up a load for my 444 Marlin. Pushing a 225 gr. Bear Creek Ballistics bullet over 2,600 fps.

img upload
Posted By: Phoneman Re: CVA Scout - 06/18/23
Trying to locate one in 300blk in stock somewhere without paying gunbroker prices. I think with the 120 barnes it should be great for my kids
Posted By: 22250rem Re: CVA Scout - 06/24/23
Picked up a Scout V2 back in Feb. and it's great. Was able to get one in 444 Marlin 'cause I wanted a thumper for woods hunting. IMR- 4198 and most any bullet I've tried are great combos. If the 444 wasn't available I probably would have went the 35 Whelen route. Sweet shooter with a sweet trigger although I haven't had my Lyman digital trigger gauge on it yet, (I keep forgetting). Boyd's gunstocks recently introduced laminated thumbhole stocks for these and that may be the next step for me.
© 24hourcampfire