Home
Really impressed with this CVA Scout 444 Marlin. The trigger is very nice and with the brake the recoil was about like a .270. The all copper bullet is 225 gr. made by Bear Creek Ballistics. This group averaged 2,622 FPS. I had some higher velocities but the groups opened up. I’m very please with this rifle so far. I have worked up a few more loads to see what they will do. Just have to find time to get back out there.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Not much that rifle and bullet won’t do. I dig the Scout rifles also.
Make that 3 who like the CVA Scout rifles. Mine is also 444 Marlin and I agree with everything the OP posted. Awhile back I started to reload for it. I didn't need to experiment much, since I first tried the Hornady .430" 265 gr FP bullet with RL7 in Starline brass. MV averages around 2275 fps. This bullet shot very accurately in the Hornady factory SP ammo I had used previously. Effect on deer and hogs is excellent, even on a 250# wild hog with frontal shot but I missed the head. No tracking needed! I also like the fact that the rifle is SS and breaks down easily for cleaning, which is important in the humid/rainy environment I hunt in. In fact this rifle has become my main deer/hog gun.
I have the Scout in 450BM and shoot the Bear Creek Ballistic
285gr...That bullet is awesome..
I really like the Scout as well..little heavy, but great trigger &
Very accurate out to 250 yds..
Nice
The CVA single shots I’ve seen on Guns International appear to have stocks for left handers. The pictures don’t show the opposite side of the stock. Do their stocks mirror the cheek rest?
Originally Posted by sparkman10mm

How’s the terminal performance?
Never mind, on their web site they say it’s ambidextrous.
Seems like a good platform to play with different cartridges.
Originally Posted by Bugger
The CVA single shots I’ve seen on Guns International appear to have stocks for left handers. The pictures don’t show the opposite side of the stock. Do their stocks mirror the cheek rest?
Yes, The stock is mirrored..
nice group!!!

i have an High Plains Saphire Laminate TC Encore with a 23" MGM heavy factory barrel in 444 Marlin (yes i put it all together, the name i mean.... :D) i have shot deer with 265gr Hornady FN, 255gr Keith-type, 275gr Ranch Dog, 280gr LFN GC, 280gr WFN GC and 300gr SAECO FN GC going roughly 1600fps thru 2300fps. Reloder7 is my choice, H4198 is #2 and 2400 with a piece of Dacron is #3. the Encore shoots 5 shoots 1/2" thru 1" at 100 yards with many loads.

it was my #1 rifle for years, until i got a Husqvarna m46 in 9.3x57.
Originally Posted by tdoyka
nice group!!!

i have an High Plains Saphire Laminate TC Encore with a 23" MGM heavy factory barrel in 444 Marlin (yes i put it all together, the name i mean.... :D) i have shot deer with 265gr Hornady FN, 255gr Keith-type, 275gr Ranch Dog, 280gr LFN GC, 280gr WFN GC and 300gr SAECO FN GC going roughly 1600fps thru 2300fps. Reloder7 is my choice, H4198 is #2 and 2400 with a piece of Dacron is #3. the Encore shoots 5 shoots 1/2" thru 1" at 100 yards with many loads.

it was my #1 rifle for years, until i got a Husqvarna m46 in 9.3x57.

I wanted to try some H4198 but could not find any. I ended up using N120. Good shootin yourself as well.
Originally Posted by 01Foreman400

How’s the terminal performance?
Excellent so far (8 SWMi bucks)

80-311 yds (lasered)..nice big holes..DRT...furthest ran about 60 yds
Picked up a 444 Marlin Scout V2 in February and I, too, am impressed with it. Gave it a Vortex 1-6x Strike Eagle scope with illuminated reticle and have loads worked up with the Hornady 265 gr. FTX, and Hornady 240 gr. & 300 gr. XTP's. Planned usage is a woods deer gun and every handload I've put in it so far has been accurate. Looking forward to hunting season with it. I wanted a "thumper" without going up to the .45-70 level stuff, and having seen 444 Marlin performance on deer from lever guns & Contender handguns, I believe this combo to be a "sweet spot" in that area of ballistics. I just wanna use it on deer; not bison. That 25" inch barrel should give a bit of velocity edge versus my buddies 444 Marlin lever gun, (22" barrel IIRC?). Haven't even chronographed mine yet but that will occur soon now that the weather is nice. Recoil doesn't seem bad at all, so I figure that brake must work pretty good in conjunction with the recoil pad. I had to order mine through Midway USA when my FFL couldn't find one through his usual distributors. That was back in February and Midway only had one in stock. As of yesterday Midway still has that model listed as, "out of stock, no backorder". I assume it's not a big seller, but I sure like mine and I was lucky to get it. Nice to hear there's a few others out there with them in 444 Marlin and that they like them.
I saw one of those .444s in my LGS last year. Looked pretty good, and seems like a good buy. Are the receivers steel, and do they provide a thread cap for those of us who don’t like brakes?
Yes they are steel and they do come with a thread protector if you don’t want to shoot with the brake on.
Just weighed the trigger pull on mine and it’s 2.5 pounds.
Originally Posted by Pappy348
I saw one of those .444s in my LGS last year. Looked pretty good, and seems like a good buy. Are the receivers steel, and do they provide a thread cap for those of us who don’t like brakes?

They are pretty darn stout, Hankins precision makes smokeless muzzleloaders out of the 45/70's.
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Originally Posted by Pappy348

They are pretty darn stout, Hankins precision makes smokeless muzzleloaders out of the 45/70's.
Hank makes a nice Picatinney rail for the Scouts as well
Yes they are steel and they do come with a thread protector if you don’t want to shoot with the brake on.
That's great that they do provide a thread protector. I bought my V2 Scout 444 Marlin when they first came out and mine did not come with it. No biggie as I don't plan to ever remove it. I've said it before and I'll say it again that CVA V2 Scout single shot rifles are real bargains for what you get. Great trigger, accurate and super easy to breakdown for cleaning.
Per my previous post, my Scout V2 in 444 came from Midway USA back in Feb. and I didn't get a thread protector either. Not a big deal, as I don't plan on removing the brake. They are indeed a great deal for the money. I'm considering putting it in a thumbhole buttstock from Boyd's gunstocks. They just came out with a buttstock & forend set for the CVA Scout in both the takedown and non-takedown models.
I bet if you tell CVA you didn’t get a thread protector they’ll make it right.
Hankins might offer one as well..
That's a good idea for anyone inclined to use/need the thread protector.
Hankins might offer one as well..
Hank does make one for $20.
Plus shipping
You should reconsider the Boyds thumb hole stock my son bought one. We installed it and opened the action and cracked the forend on both sides. I called and was told to cut each piece in half and send pictures for a full refund that part went smoothly. I have several stocks from Boyd and never had any problems. Boyd told me to wait a couple of months and try again if I'm still interested.
Don’t really have any desire to change the stock.

Bought a 45-70 this morning and can’t wait to work up a load for it.
© 24hourcampfire