Home
Posted By: OSU_Sig TCR barrel question - 11/09/23
How is the barrel attached to the monoblock on the TCR 83/87 rifle? Is it press fit, threaded or something else?
Posted By: Exchipy Re: TCR barrel question - 11/09/23
It looks to be press fit with a couple of cross pins for extra measure. But, I’m eager to see whether someone here can confirm that.
Posted By: RSherburne Re: TCR barrel question - 11/09/23
Originally Posted by Exchipy
It looks to be press fit with a couple of cross pins for extra measure. But, I’m eager to see whether someone here can confirm that.

Pulled one out and took a close look with a mag glass. Definitely looks like a press fit with 2 pins along the bottom of barrel.

RAS
Posted By: Big1bud Re: TCR barrel question - 11/10/23
I believe you are correct pressed and pinned in place!
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: TCR barrel question - 11/10/23
That leads to the next question: How does one remove a press fit barrel, or does one just saw it off?
Posted By: Exchipy Re: TCR barrel question - 11/10/23
Seems like, after driving out the cross pins, one would want to heat the monoblock to expend it while simultaneously cooling the barrel to shrink it, then drive the barrel out forward. The actual details of precisely how that could best be accomplished, should be offered by someone with practical experience in doing such things.
Posted By: Aagaardsporter Re: TCR barrel question - 11/16/23
IIRC in some later versions the monoblocs were spot welded to the barrel stub.

At one time one or two custom barrel makers would install a new barrel in a TCR monobloc, but no longer. Also a couple of gunsmiths that would swap TCR barrels and a there were a couple of occasional Graybeard and Campfire posters who had new barrels installed in TCR monoblocs. A friends Dad had a rifled 20 ga shotgun barrel installed in a CNC TCR monobloc copy but the 'smith who did it had pretty much retired and declined to work on one for me.

Exchipy's description matches my understanding how TCR barrels are removed from the monobloc, but I would say press rather than drive the barrel from the monobloc.

One reason I think 'smiths and barrel makers won't work on TCRs is that they haven't been in years and that parts and blueprints were lost in a fire at TC.
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: TCR barrel question - 11/16/23
Thank you both for your information. I would really like to get a custom barrel done but it may prove to take more time and energy than it's worth. We'll see.
© 24hourcampfire