Home
Posted By: aboltfan H&R Handi 30-30 range day - 03/20/24
Last summer I bought this rifle. It was factory original and in mint shape. Made in 2005, it's an ejector barrel. I replaced the wood stock set with my last green laminate set. I've mounted a Nikon 2-7x32 scope on it.

With this being a single shot I've loaded up spitzer bullets in Hornady brass. I used Sierra 125gr. Pro Hunter and Speer 150gr. GDBO bullets. The powders are listed on the targets. It looks like the Sierras and CFE 223 powder warrant more attention. I will continue working up the load for it, but can see this making the list next season. My apologies for crowding the targets together.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]gif hosting

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: blairvt Re: H&R Handi 30-30 range day - 03/21/24
pic of the gun?
Posted By: 4570fan Re: H&R Handi 30-30 range day - 03/21/24
Fun guns!! I have and have owned several calibers over many years. The 357, 30/30, and 45/70's tend to be the most inherently accurate and the only ones I've kept.
Posted By: aboltfan Re: H&R Handi 30-30 range day - 03/21/24

I had a bunch of Handi rifles and factory fitted barrels, but I've cut down on them. I kept a 45-70, 444 Marlin, this 30-30 and a couple of rimfires. Killed the heck out of deer and pigs with the first two and look forward to doing the same with the 30-30.

blairvt

Here's the picture you asked for.

When I was 12 I worked my ass off to buy a HR Topper single shot in 20 ga. The next year I busted my ass again and sold the topper buying a savage 20 ga pump. At 14 at the end of my 2nd fall the savage 20 was tired so I worked my ass off .sold the savage and bought a 1100 Remington fall of 1970 I still have that it still shoots fine. I like to go retro and use it a time or two every fall but I am not ever gonna be tarded enough to shoot an hr topper again. My idea of a single shot begins and ends with a Shiloh Sharps.to each his own.mb
Posted By: Troutnut Re: H&R Handi 30-30 range day - 03/21/24
Nothing wrong with those groups. CFE 223 worked well in a couple of 94s I loaded for as well as a Contender pistol. H335 is another good but often overlooked powder choice
Posted By: aboltfan Re: H&R Handi 30-30 range day - 03/21/24
While accuracy is always important, I chose test powders with some of the highest velocities in the load books. The fastest powder across several manuals is PP 2000MR, but it's my heavy .223 powder and I only have five pounds of it.

I'm going to do some more work with the CFE 223 and see where we end up.

MB,

You took up a lot of word space to tell me you don't like inexpensive single shots, but that's ok, you be you.
Posted By: Txtrout Re: H&R Handi 30-30 range day - 03/22/24
The Handi is looking good with the CFE.
Looks good OP. My only single shot is a H&R Carbine Classic in 45 Colt which I threaded for a can.
My H&R 30-30 is surprisingly accurate.
Posted By: Dinny Re: H&R Handi 30-30 range day - 03/23/24
Mine shoots ok, despite it not being a Shiloh. 😆🙄

How many of ya'll have checked the rate of twist on your 30-30 Handi's? They are NOT all 1:10

Mine is a 1:12 twist from NEF....made in 93, I believe.
Posted By: aboltfan Re: H&R Handi 30-30 range day - 03/27/24
It's my understanding that 1/12 is the standard for the 30-30.
Posted By: Dinny Re: H&R Handi 30-30 range day - 03/27/24
Originally Posted by aboltfan

More H&Rs/NEFs were made 1:10 ROT but as Butcher mentioned some barrels were 1:12 ROT.

Posted By: Ranger99 Re: H&R Handi 30-30 range day - 03/27/24
All the Handi's I've had shoot as good as any
other anything I've had.
This last 30/30 has been difficult, but not
because of inaccuracy, but FTF's and such.
It's a Remlin, and I've had it at a Remington
"service center" twice before they folded up,
and they were as incompetent as the Ilion
people. I finally tore it apart myself and inspected
and gave it a Wolff spring. I tried it with some
primed empties and they all popped, but haven't
been near a range since.
The barrel is accurate enough. I shot it some
on my 444 receiver and it does just fine.
Any of the Handi 30/30's I've had were accurate

Good Luck
Posted By: Ranger99 Re: H&R Handi 30-30 range day - 03/27/24
Should have added that I just used regular
"universal " 30/30 loads with Sierra #2000
projectiles
Originally Posted by Dinny
Originally Posted by aboltfan

More H&Rs/NEFs were made 1:10 ROT but as Butcher mentioned some barrels were 1:12 ROT.

I'm the guy that pushed for the FAQ to add that some are 1:12. I thought mine was 1:10 for years, and is discouraged me from investing in casting. Then I checked it.....1:12 as a select few others had reported.
That's a good looking rifle, love the stock.
Posted By: Coton Re: H&R Handi 30-30 range day - 04/04/24
Nice looking rifle in a hard to find caliber for the H&R single shots! They are Handi rifles! I have the the youth 223 barrel which is lighter taper and 20". Also the sportster 22 mag. They both shoot very accurately.
Posted By: WMR Re: H&R Handi 30-30 range day - 04/04/24
I’ve often thought that this rifle/cartridge combo is about as good as it gets for whitetails in the woods. Nothing exotic, but it doesn’t give up much to fancier rigs.
© 24hourcampfire